Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tool

Josh Freeman - what's his future hold?

Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area's Scott Bair predicts free agent Josh Freeman will be the Raiders' starting quarterback in Week 1.

Bair notes that the Raiders were "really interested in (Freeman) during the season." Regardless of how anyone feels about Freeman, this is one of the most logical fits in 2014 free agency. Raiders OC Greg Olson was Freeman's offensive coordinator and position coach for his first three NFL seasons, and Olson needs a quarterback. Oakland could conceivably sign Freeman and use the No. 5 overall pick on Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, or Johnny Manziel.
Related: Raiders

... a clipboard? has that been said yet?

Its been in my sig for 6 months now ;)

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Albert Breer confirms that the Raiders are "looking at" free agent Josh Freeman.

The Raiders would prefer to sign Matt Schaub if he's released, but Freeman, free agent Mike Vick, and Mark Sanchez are also on their list. Freeman played under OC Greg Olson for three seasons in Tampa and could be a fit based on his knowledge of the system. 26-year-old Freeman has yet to draw any other interest on the open market.
Related: Raiders

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt says he isn't sure if free agent Josh Freeman "has the desire to get better."

Dedication concerns hounded Freeman as he showed very little improvement through four-plus seasons with the Bucs. They eventually gave up and cut him midway through last year, leading to an embarrassing stint with the Vikings. Now on the street again, Freeman has attracted zero known interest. Brandt, the Godfather of scouting, believes Vince Young is a better option for teams at this point.
Source: SI.com

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt says he isn't sure if free agent Josh Freeman "has the desire to get better."

Dedication concerns hounded Freeman as he showed very little improvement through four-plus seasons with the Bucs. They eventually gave up and cut him midway through last year, leading to an embarrassing stint with the Vikings. Now on the street again, Freeman has attracted zero known interest. Brandt, the Godfather of scouting, believes Vince Young is a better option for teams at this point.

he must of really burnt those bridges, so many QB needy teams out and the NFL paying good money for back ups... as far as I know the guy hasn't even visited anybody.

Rotoworld:

:loco:

When Harbaugh decided he'd rather coach Blaine Gabbert than Freeman, that was an indication that this guy's career is off the rails. He still has talent, but wouldn't he (on paper) have been a better backup to Kap?

Rotoworld:

Free agent Josh Freeman visited the Bears on Monday.

It's Freeman's first-known visit. Although the Bears have Jay Cutler locked up as their franchise quarterback, it would be an ideal landing spot for Freeman. He'd get to work with quarterback-whisperer Marc Trestman, and have a good shot at making starts behind an injury-prone Cutler. It's surprising that it's taken Freeman this long to make a visit, but it speaks to how disastrous his 2013 was in every phase.
Related: Bears

Lots of rumors last year about a poor work ethic. He is still pretty young and flashed some nice talent so hopefully he can find a spot where he gets mentored properly and they can get the most out of him.

He had every opportunity to get treatment while with the Vikings. He didn't care. He got 2 NFL teams to pay him millions so it is a non stop party for this guy now. I do not see how he will be anything but a waste of a roster spot until he decides playing football is important to him. I wish him the best of luck.

@JohnMiddlekauff 20m

If the #Bears sign Josh Freeman they will have done their homework. GM Phil Emery is one of the most meticulous men in the NFL

@JohnMiddlekauff I think it's a great fit. QB Guru at coach and a guy that needs a coach to believe in/help him

@evansilva 29m

If Josh Freeman is committed to salvaging his NFL career, learning from #Bears HC Trestman = ideal starting point. Freeman still only 26.

@JohnMiddlekauff 20m

If the #Bears sign Josh Freeman they will have done their homework. GM Phil Emery is one of the most meticulous men in the NFL

@JohnMiddlekauff I think it's a great fit. QB Guru at coach and a guy that needs a coach to believe in/help him

@evansilva 29m

If Josh Freeman is committed to salvaging his NFL career, learning from #Bears HC Trestman = ideal starting point. Freeman still only 26.

sounds like this is his only chance

As a guy who has Freeman rostered in a couple of dynasty leagues, I am hoping - skeptically - that this guy realizes just how much money he is flushing down the toilet, admits that he really screwed up, and rededicates himself. His best bet is to swallow his pride and hook up as a definitive backup with a proven QB guru. McCarthy and his QB camp or Trestman come immediately to mind. He is still only 26 and some NFL team has to think they can create tremendous value by getting this kid back on the straight and narrow if he's willing to come to grips with his behavior.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Amazing that this time last year, Freeman was coming off a 4,000 yard passing and 27 TD season. The locals were groaning about management dragging their heels about what to do with him going into his last season of his rookie deal. There were rumblings of a potential $100 million contract in the works. This guy Freeman, his career up and vaporized into thin air. poof!

There were tons of rumors on drug use, but let's examine the facts that we do know.

-255lbs-260lbs Josh was a pretty good QB

-235lbs sucked

-sometime in the recent years he was diagnosed with ADHD and started taking medication for it, which the NFL was aware of. It's not a stretch to correlate the weight loss with Ritalin, Aderal, or whatever medication he was taking.

It shouldn't be too difficult here to realize what Josh needs to do to put on weight and return to form.

Rotoworld;

Free agent Josh Freeman will work out for the Giants next week.

Freeman visited the Bears on Monday and is starting to get some play now that he's easily the top option remaining on the quarterback free-agent market. The Giants drafted Ryan Nassib in the fourth round last April and reportedly want to give him every opportunity to earn the No. 2 job behind Eli Manning. Freeman's addition would throw a wrench into those plans.
Related: Giants

(RotoWire) Freeman has drawn interest from the Giants, the New York Daily News reports. Analysis: Freeman has had a NFL career filled with peaks and valleys, as he followed up 2012's 4065 yard campaign by losing his job to Mike Glennon in 2013, before eventually being granted his release. The 26-year-old would serve as an insurance policy to Eli Manning, who is expected to need at least six weeks to recover from ankle surgery that he had on Thursday. In addition to depth, Freeman would provide an extra camp body to go along with Curtis Painter and Ryan Nassib, who are already on the Giants' roster.

Are no offers a bad sign after 2 workouts? Maybe they will wait until after the draft.

*eta* not sure if he has worked out for NYG yet..

Edited by Quez

Giants sign QB Josh Freeman

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

Free-agent quarterback Josh Freeman's just about found a new home and it'll be backing up Eli Manning in New York.

According to his agent Erik Burkhardt, the Giants reached a deal with Freeman.

Freeman was released by the Buccaneers early in 2013 and signed on with the Vikings. He only played a single game for Minnesota, but his new team got a good luck at him.

The Giants were Freeman's opponent on a Monday night in Week 7. Freeman signed with the Vikes just a few days before that game and looked horrible.

He completed less than 38 percent of his 53 passing attempts and threw for 190 yards, which gave him an epically bad 3.58 yards per attempt in the 23-7 loss to New York.

You'd think the Giants would've been scared off, but it's not the case.

Instead, Freeman will now back up Eli and give the Giants a fairly decent backup option should something happen to Manning injury-wise.

Despite reports, it's unlikely the Giants are really worried about Manning's play randomly declining.

The deal is, according to Fox Sports Mike Garafolo, a one-year contract.

Does anyone remember the team he played against in his one start for Minny?... NYG.

Not sure he beats out Nassib

If he works, he'll beat out Nassib easily. His upside still is very high.

If he doesn't work, his career is likely over.

Nassib's upside it pretty high too. I'm not sure Josh Freeman is going to outwork many NFL level players. I pick your second sentence as the most likely.

NYG runs an offense he is familiar with, so it is a good fit. Assuming he can get his head straight.

Again - some bias may be speaking since I am a Freeman owner.

But even if Freeman were to be cut, sit out a couple of years, and then decide he is willing to change his behavior enough so that he can go back to being rostered in the NFL from flipping burgers - given that he had shown prolonged periods of putting up higher quality starting NFL QB stats, someone is going to give him that chance. QB is just too important of a position not to take large risks if the investment isn't all that profound.

But even if Freeman were to be cut, sit out a couple of years, and then decide he is willing to change his behavior enough so that he can go back to being rostered in the NFL from flipping burgers - given that he had shown prolonged periods of putting up higher quality starting NFL QB stats, someone is going to give him that chance. QB is just too important of a position not to take large risks if the investment isn't all that profound.

I still find it odd that Freeman went from being the A1 jewel of the NFC south to Jamarcus Russell status in one season. Given that he does have a well known learning disorder and was thrown to the wolves after one week in Minnesota the Giants might have a true steal of a backup QB if things align right.

I still find it odd that Freeman went from being the A1 jewel of the NFC south to Jamarcus Russell status in one season. Given that he does have a well known learning disorder and was thrown to the wolves after one week in Minnesota the Giants might have a true steal of a backup QB if things align right.

Or what's "well known" are the rumors of a drug problem.

Nassib is no joke.

He may be no joke, but apparently the Giants don't feel confident in him being the backup qb.

Or what's "well known" are the rumors of a drug problem.

I think it was his rumored behavior, the drug charges were debunked publically due to his ADHD meds. However being late for meetings and sleeping in others is not proper behavior of a NFL QB and leader. Hes got talent, I think GMs are willing to give the Schaino yrs a pass if he can show that his head is on straight.

Edited by KellysHeroes

There was undoubtedly something else going on there besides ADHD. I think he was either abusing that medication, or using another illegal substance that shows up the same on a drug test.

If he can co-exist with Tom Coughlin in NY, that's probably a pretty good sign that he's pulled himself back together mentally again. Coughlin isn't going to be lenient with any of the unprofessional missed / sleeping through meetings nonsense.

Nassib's upside it pretty high too. I'm not sure Josh Freeman is going to outwork many NFL level players. I pick your second sentence as the most likely.

I'd expect him to work hard enough to make the team and then coast thru the 17 week season cashing paychecks while doing absolutely nothing to help the team.

Nassib has a better future. We already know that you can't pay Freeman a big contract.

Nassib is no joke.

He may be no joke, but apparently the Giants don't feel confident in him being the backup qb.

I don't know that I'd jump to that conclusion. If they'd traded for Freeman maybe. But they just signed him to a one year deal, nothing more and it wasn't in like the first few days of FA either, he waited a while.

• Like 1

I'd expect him to work hard enough to make the team and then coast thru the 17 week season cashing paychecks while doing absolutely nothing to help the team.

Nassib has a better future. We already know that you can't pay Freeman a big contract.

I agree. Eli stays pretty healthy anyway. Having Freeman as a spot starter is probably worth something to them. If Eli were to go down in Preseason for instance I bet Nassib would get a start at some point. However if he were to miss a game with a minor injury and the team was in contention they'd probably go Freeman as the stop gap.

Edited by Sabertooth

Nassib is no joke.

I don't know that I'd jump to that conclusion. If they'd traded for Freeman maybe. But they just signed him to a one year deal, nothing more and it wasn't in like the first few days of FA either, he waited a while.

well they had flynn in for a workout too. it's pretty clear to me that they were looking to upgrade the position. Maybe they still like Nassib as a project, i don't really know.

Nassib is no joke.

well they had flynn in for a workout too. it's pretty clear to me that they were looking to upgrade the position. Maybe they still like Nassib as a project, i don't really know.

We'll see. Maybe not so much upgrade as generate competition. I don't really know either but we're just reading tea leaves here anyway.

They got a more firm date on Eli's return and needed someone.

I don't think any team is banking on Freeman, but a chance to get some work in and maybe maybe maybe get a shot if the starter continues to struggle isn't a bad scenario for him.

People sure like the former GB QB coach, so it's probably beneficial to work with him too.

Josh Freeman: 'I still view myself as a starting-caliber QB'

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer
April 23, 2014 3:03 pm ET

Josh Freeman has played 61 games in his five-year NFL career, and he's only not started one game. And Freeman doesn't see why that streak shouldn't continue.

"I still view myself as a starting-caliber quarterback," Freeman said from Giants offseason workouts, via NJ.com. "I love the situation because I have the opportunity to be around a guy that really had a lot of success, year after year and continues to win and get his team to the playoffs consistently. It's a really, really cool opportunity."

Even though he's only making $795,000 for the season (with $55,000 guaranteed) -- to compare, he made about $8 million from the Buccaneers last season, and after he was released, he signed a $2 million deal with the Vikings, where he put in only one game of work -- he's right. This is a good opportunity.

Especially since Eli Manning and his surgically-repaired ankle likely won't be a factor in practice until training camp. That should mean plenty of reps for Freeman (along with fellow backups Ryan Nassib and Curtis Painter), and it very well could help repair Freeman's reputation. Teams, after all, weren't exactly falling over themselves to sign the free agent Freeman this offseason.

It's hard to believe how far Freeman's stock has fallen since this time last year. After butting heads with then-Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano, Tampa Bay released Freeman in favor of playing rookie Mike Glennon. Then, after signing with the Vikings, Freeman started one game, completing 37.7 percent of his passes for 190 yards and an interception in a 23-7 loss to the Giants.

Freeman termed that an "awful game," and he certainly wasn't wrong about that.

"Looking back, maybe not as prepared as I'd like to have been for the situation, or as much as I thought going into the situation," Freeman said. "But like anything in your past, it's an experience to learn from."

What about what happened with Schiano in Tampa Bay? Anything you can learn from that?

"I wouldn't say [it was a personal thing], and I really don't want to get into all the details that situation," Freeman said. "It's just players in every situation where a guy gets cut obviously just didn't fit in with the way the organization was going. That's what I'd like to chalk it up to."

Either way, Freeman now has another new chance to establish himself as the starting quarterback he thinks he still can be. And if Manning plays as badly as he did at times last season, who's to say that perhaps Freeman wouldn't get that shot in 2014?

It may have been his final chance in NYG. He was either late to a meeting or they put in the 2013 Vikes tape.

This was a pretty bad downfall.

Just wow.

On dynasty do you cut the guy or hope the light finally goes on? I'm struggling with sending him packing - when he was right he was putting up serious numbers. Not elite, but pretty damned good just the same. You've got to think given some of the QBs rostered in the NFL that someone else will roll the dice.

Just wow.

On dynasty do you cut the guy or hope the light finally goes on? I'm struggling with sending him packing - when he was right he was putting up serious numbers. Not elite, but pretty damned good just the same. You've got to think given some of the QBs rostered in the NFL that someone else will roll the dice.

In 2 QB deep bench formats, maybe worth stashing, but other than that not so much IMO. Getting cut in May only six weeks after signing is pretty outside the norm -- gotta think that the Giants saw a pretty major negative given the timing.

It may have been his final chance in NYG. He was either late to a meeting or they put in the 2013 Vikes tape.

This was a pretty bad downfall.

That game he started (worst performance I've ever seen by a NFL starting QB) was against the Giants. I was absolutely blown away that they, of all teams, actually signed this guy.

He's not a development guy. Ideally you want a heady QB that knows the offense inside and out as your backup (that's not him). Josh Freeman never learned how to throw a timing pattern in his 4 years in Tampa.

He's done. I'm sure he'll see a camp invite somewhere but I expect nothing from it.

Damn, now I am going to have to change my signature now from "clipboard" to "grocery bag."

I finally cut bait. Can't believe this guy turned into Jamarcus Russell. I remember seeing a clip of a couple of AFC South coaches talking about how special all four QBs were down there and how Freeman might be the most dangerous. I'm always for second chances and I'll keep my eye out but he won't be on my roster until he can stick on a NFL one first.

I finally cut bait. Can't believe this guy turned into Jamarcus Russell. I remember seeing a clip of a couple of AFC South coaches talking about how special all four QBs were down there and how Freeman might be the most dangerous. I'm always for second chances and I'll keep my eye out but he won't be on my roster until he can stick on a NFL one first.

Yeah he received a serious amount of hype early in his career. The downfall was pretty abrupt. Not sure if he has some personal issues with drugs or whatever. But his future's looking pretty grim at this point, that's for sure.