What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Freeman - what's his future hold? (1 Viewer)

gump said:
ConstruxBoy said:
I've owned Freeman in a dynasty league since he came out and I think his problem is that he was young and raw coming into the NFL with some outstanding physical tools. I think he needed a very good and experienced QB coach to tighten up the mechanics and mental aspect of the game. Unfortunately he didn't get that with Morris as coach and it doesn't look like he'll get it with Schiano. My guess is that Schiano recognizes the need, yet knows his staff is deficient in this area so he's getting ready to blame Freeman and hope Glennon can do with less coaching.
Mike Sullivan has received a lot of credit for helping Eli in NY....now he's the problem?
Mike Sullivan is the TB QB coach? I thought it was the guy that was the QB coach in Arizona last year. And having owned John Skelton, yes, he may be the problem. Isn't it McNaulty or something like that?
Yea...they just hired the Az guy, who has a Rutgers background. Ron Turner (old Illini HC, Bears OC, and Colts QB coach) was the guy last year. He left to coach FIU....and Schiano hired McNulty. Agree that doesn't excite anyone.But I'm pretty sure Sullivan is involved heavily with Freeman.

The front office didn't go out and spend millions of dollars on free agents and trade for Revis to start a rookie or second year QB. The plan is for Freeman to start, play well, lead the team to the playoffs, and compete for a Super Bowl. Anyone suggesting anything different is being ridiculous for the sake of creating controversy.

I don't blame Schiano or Dominik for drafting Glennon. There isn't anything wrong with having depth at the QB position or creating competition for your starter.

If Josh Freeman can't handle the pressure of Mike freaking Glennon he isn't leading this team anywhere anyway. If he struggles again in key moments and the Bucs miss the playoffs again, then obviously he hasn't led the team anywhere. Maybe they franchise him after this year, give him one more shot, and if he fails again they'll blow it all up.

The pieces are in place. I'd say he has a two year window to at least make some noise in the playoffs. It's on Josh to get the job done.

The front office didn't go out and spend millions of dollars on free agents and trade for Revis to start a rookie or second year QB. The plan is for Freeman to start, play well, lead the team to the playoffs, and compete for a Super Bowl. Anyone suggesting anything different is being ridiculous for the sake of creating controversy.

I don't blame Schiano or Dominik for drafting Glennon. There isn't anything wrong with having depth at the QB position or creating competition for your starter.

If Josh Freeman can't handle the pressure of Mike freaking Glennon he isn't leading this team anywhere anyway. If he struggles again in key moments and the Bucs miss the playoffs again, then obviously he hasn't led the team anywhere. Maybe they franchise him after this year, give him one more shot, and if he fails again they'll blow it all up.

The pieces are in place. I'd say he has a two year window to at least make some noise in the playoffs. It's on Josh to get the job done.
Totally agree with this post. Can't see Freeman really being challenged by Glennon this year. There always has to be one "sleeper" QB who comes in and steals the job in the preseason. Last year it was Russell Wilson and that worked out. But Wilson is way better than Glennon and Freeman is definitely better than Matt Flynn too.

This year it seems Glennon and Tyler Wilson are being hyped. I think Wilson has a much better chance of starting in Oakland though.

Talks of freeman losing his job this year is crazy. Talks of freeman ever being a legit #1 qb is even crazier.
Who's the last legit #1 QB you can name who peaked by age 24?

At age 24, Eli threw for a 52.8% completion rate, 24 TD / 17 INT, and 6.8 YPA. Freeman's numbers from '12 were better across the board.

Matt Ryan threw for a 58.3% CR, 22 TD / 14 INT, and 6.5 YPA. Stafford's numbers were 59.8%, 20 / 17, and 6.8. And Big Ben threw for more INT's than TD's and a CP in the 50's as well. If you go back and read the FBG forums, I'm sure you'll find examples from those years where every one of these guys was called "too inconsistent" and "will never be a #1 QB".

I'm not saying that Freeman is destined to be the next Eli Manning - he still has a whole lot to prove. But to confidently state that his career arc to date limits him from ever becoming an elite QB is really what's crazy.

Agreed.
Disagreed. Barring a ridiculous spate of injuries, the real expectation is for Josh Freeman to lead the Bucs to the playoffs this year.

He fails to get them to the playoffs, and the contract numbers he's going to be asking for is going to be a wedge between him and Bucs management to see him walk as a UFA next year. Certainly, the fanbase won't shed a tear for Josh if he fails them next season. There's no such thing as a two-year window. It's now or never for Josh if he wants to stay in Tampa.

Agreed.
TB was 14th in offense, 20th in defense and 28th in special teams last year, per Football Outsiders.

TB was 17th in offense and 23rd in defense, per Advanced Football Stats.

Almost regardless of which advanced measure you pick Freeman is ranked somewhere around the ~15th-17th QB, as a 24 year old. And his measures are almost identical to Matt Stafford (24) or Joe Flacco (28).

If you want to argue that Freeman will need to be better, or go on a Flacco-esque hot streak, to win a Super Bowl I agree with you. But if you want to argue that the Bucs should even consider getting rid of him when there are literally only a dozen QBs on the planet who are clearly better and many of those are quite old, I won't agree.

Finding even average NFL QBs is really hard. Finding one better than average is even harder.

Agreed.
Disagreed. Barring a ridiculous spate of injuries, the real expectation is for Josh Freeman to lead the Bucs to the playoffs this year.

He fails to get them to the playoffs, and the contract numbers he's going to be asking for is going to be a wedge between him and Bucs management to see him walk as a UFA next year. Certainly, the fanbase won't shed a tear for Josh if he fails them next season. There's no such thing as a two-year window. It's now or never for Josh if he wants to stay in Tampa.
I think it depends on why they missed the playoffs if they do.

The NFC is pretty good right now. If Josh has a good statistical season (like he had this year - the best in franchise history), the Bucs finish with a good record (they missed the playoffs in 2010 and were 10-6), and they're in it until the end I think they could franchise him after the year and make another run.

The way a lot of the free agent deals are structured right now is what leads me to believe there's a two year window here. The Revis trade, the back loaded money on the Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, Dashon Goldson, and Davin Joseph contracts, etc.

You aren't going to continue to pay those guys big money in 2014 breaking in Mike Glennon. That's like flushing cash down the toilet. You can't cut them all or you'll get crucified by the media and the fanbase. So, you go with the guy who gives you the best chance for another season. Josh Freeman.

I personally hope he renders this entire discussion meaningless.

If you want to argue that Freeman will need to be better, or go on a Flacco-esque hot streak, to win a Super Bowl I agree with you. But if you want to argue that the Bucs should even consider getting rid of him when there are literally only a dozen QBs on the planet who are clearly better and many of those are quite old, I won't agree.
Maybe the Bucs aren't considering getting rid of him? It's entirely possible the media has cooked up all of this controversy. It wouldn't be the first time.

All they did was draft a QB in the 3rd round that fits their system.

Do you blame Tampa's front office for not giving Josh a long term contract?

It's entirely possible the media has cooked up all of this controversy. It wouldn't be the first time.
No, it wouldn't be the first time or the last. But in this case, Schiano's own comments heat up the QB controversy. The media can take comments out of context to make the headline scream. But Schiano isn't doing Freeman any favors with his little parting shots at the end of interviews. Can't blame the media for taking the bait and running with it. It's what they do.

It's entirely possible the media has cooked up all of this controversy. It wouldn't be the first time.
No, it wouldn't be the first time or the last. But in this case, Schiano's own comments heat up the QB controversy. The media can take comments out of context to make the headline scream. But Schiano isn't doing Freeman any favors with his little parting shots at the end of interviews. Can't blame the media for taking the bait and running with it. It's what they do.
He's saying Josh is the starter. :shrug:

"It's competition, and I love it," Schiano said as he begins his second season with the Bucs after a long run a Rutgers.

"But we have our starting quarterback. It's Josh Freeman," the coach added. "I'm not looking to find a new one, but I do like to have quality depth at every position. When you get that, just naturally these are the most competitive guys on the planet, and it raises everybody's level."

Although Schiano himself sparked widespread debate about whether Freeman, drafted under former coach Raheem Morris in 2009, fits into his long-term plans, he insisted his comments have been misinterpreted, especially by people who believe Schiano might prefer to pick his own quarterback.

"From the day we arrived, our whole program is there's going to be competition," the coach said. "Now we haven't always been able to have it because you can only get so many guys on your roster, but that's what we believe in. It's the most competitive sports league in the world."

Freeman was among four quarterbacks on the field for the start of organized team activities on Monday. He said he welcomed the addition of Glennon and declared that he and Schiano have a "great relationship."

"That's the way it works on every team, honestly. You want to have the best and most talented team you can have," said Freeman, who is also backed up by veteran Dan Orlovsky and another young quarterback, Adam Weber.

"No question, you want the best possible option behind you. ... You look at it as if down the road something happens to me, you want a guy who can come in and keep it going, win some games. ... We're competitors. We're going to work as hard as we can trying to find a way to get more wins."

Schiano echoed Freeman's sentiment that the relationship between coach and player is fine. He said he also shared his stance on the quarterback situation with Glennon after making him the third quarterback selected in the draft behind EJ Manuel and Geno Smith.

"I don't think it bothers Josh. He's a confident guy. He knows this is his team," Schiano said. "I don't think it bothers him one bit. I think he's ready to go have a great year, and that's what we're working for."
When you look at the other QB options that were on the roster before the draft it's obvious they needed to add a QB at some point. Were they supposed to just draft a guy who had no chance of being anything to appease Josh and make him feel good about himself? The Patriots didn't do that. The Packers didn't do that. Good organizations don't do that.

Grahamburn, on 21 May 2013 - 09:52, said:

QuoteIf you want to argue that Freeman will need to be better, or go on a Flacco-esque hot streak, to win a Super Bowl I agree with you. But if you want to argue that the Bucs should even consider getting rid of him when there are literally only a dozen QBs on the planet who are clearly better and many of those are quite old, I won't agree.
Maybe the Bucs aren't considering getting rid of him? It's entirely possible the media has cooked up all of this controversy. It wouldn't be the first time. All they did was draft a QB in the 3rd round that fits their system. Do you blame Tampa's front office for not giving Josh a long term contract?
Well maybe so. We're on the outside looking in. But Schiano's comments sure seem to fit into the narrative that the front office is on board with Freeman, but the coach is looking to get rid of him.Given the unlikelihood that I'm going to find a better QB, if I were Tampa's front office I'd absolutely have extended Freeman, yes. Worst case you get last year -- and the odds are pretty good that he's going to get better at 25-26 and then plateau to 30. I also think it's a +$$ play to do it now as well since I think you could sign him today for less than he'll draw on the open market.It's not that I think Freeman is a world-beater (though I so still think he could develop into a top-10/12 QB), it's that the alternatives just aren't there. You're probably stuck with him either way unless you want to suck for a decade.And it's not like Freeman's a malcontent or slacker -- he works hard, he's never been in trouble and appears to give what he's got. So instead of letting your coach piss on the guy (the same way he reportedly pisses on a lot of other people), build him up.

Maybe the Bucs aren't considering getting rid of him? It's entirely possible the media has cooked up all of this controversy. It wouldn't be the first time.

All they did was draft a QB in the 3rd round that fits their system.

Do you blame Tampa's front office for not giving Josh a long term contract?
Maybe they did it to improve their negotiation position when they do re-sign him. He's played good enough that they'd bring him back for the right price, but if he wants to get paid like one of the top QB's in the league they are getting prepared to move on without him.

Grahamburn, on 21 May 2013 - 09:52, said:

QuoteIf you want to argue that Freeman will need to be better, or go on a Flacco-esque hot streak, to win a Super Bowl I agree with you. But if you want to argue that the Bucs should even consider getting rid of him when there are literally only a dozen QBs on the planet who are clearly better and many of those are quite old, I won't agree.
Maybe the Bucs aren't considering getting rid of him? It's entirely possible the media has cooked up all of this controversy. It wouldn't be the first time.All they did was draft a QB in the 3rd round that fits their system.Do you blame Tampa's front office for not giving Josh a long term contract?
Well maybe so. We're on the outside looking in. But Schiano's comments sure seem to fit into the narrative that the front office is on board with Freeman, but the coach is looking to get rid of him.Given the unlikelihood that I'm going to find a better QB, if I were Tampa's front office I'd absolutely have extended Freeman, yes. Worst case you get last year -- and the odds are pretty good that he's going to get better at 25-26 and then plateau to 30. I also think it's a +$$ play to do it now as well since I think you could sign him today for less than he'll draw on the open market.It's not that I think Freeman is a world-beater (though I so still think he could develop into a top-10/12 QB), it's that the alternatives just aren't there. You're probably stuck with him either way unless you want to suck for a decade.And it's not like Freeman's a malcontent or slacker -- he works hard, he's never been in trouble and appears to give what he's got. So instead of letting your coach piss on the guy (the same way he reportedly pisses on a lot of other people), build him up.
We have no idea what he's asking for, do we? Frankly, I don't see there being huge demand for his services if he were a free agent today.

The Bucs are rolling the dice like the Ravens did with Flacco and there's three outcomes:

- Freeman plays great and earns a huge contract - TB would be thrilled to pay him the money if he does this.

- Freeman plays average and the team signs him to a cheap contract - this would be the least preferable option IMO.

- Freeman plays poorly and they let him walk to let Glennon start - not a great option but they at least save money at QB that can be used elsewhere and maybe Glennon develops into a good QB.

hmm, when I said agreed I mean it's really going to put up time for Freeman. If he continues to progress this year, get them into the playoffs, Bucs likely Franchise him and see what happens next year. If he once again improves they'll likely (and should) pay him what he deserves. If the D steps up this year and Freeman does not, than who knows.

As long as Freeman continues the upwards trend, I don't see why the Bucs would let him go. He's fairly mobile and has an arm. He's got the tools and hopefully their D and ST will have improved, more than just on paper, and we'll see a Bucs team coming into their own.

The Bucs are rolling the dice like the Ravens did with Flacco and there's three outcomes: - Freeman plays great and earns a huge contract - TB would be thrilled to pay him the money if he does this. - Freeman plays average and the team signs him to a cheap contract - this would be the least preferable option IMO. - Freeman plays poorly and they let him walk to let Glennon start - not a great option but they at least save money at QB that can be used elsewhere and maybe Glennon develops into a good QB.
This is a good framework, but where we differ is:If Freeman plays average then the team is going to pay him a big contract if they want to keep him. Average NFL QBs heading into their prime are scarce, and command big salaries. Cutler is making $8.5m this year. Palmer is making $13m. Alex Smith is making $7.5m. Flacco is making... well who knows. Let's call it $16m. None of those guys is a world-beater. And all of them are a lot older than Freeman -- whose next contract will be through his prime years of ~26-30. He's going to get paid.And IMO there is approximately a 0.1% chance Mike Glennon develops into a viable (let alone average) NFL starter. So unless you want to suck, possibly for a long time (see above: finding average QBs is really hard) you need to love the one you're with.

The Bucs are rolling the dice like the Ravens did with Flacco and there's three outcomes: - Freeman plays great and earns a huge contract - TB would be thrilled to pay him the money if he does this. - Freeman plays average and the team signs him to a cheap contract - this would be the least preferable option IMO. - Freeman plays poorly and they let him walk to let Glennon start - not a great option but they at least save money at QB that can be used elsewhere and maybe Glennon develops into a good QB.
This is a good framework, but where we differ is:If Freeman plays average then the team is going to pay him a big contract if they want to keep him. Average NFL QBs heading into their prime are scarce, and command big salaries. Cutler is making $8.5m this year. Palmer is making $13m. Alex Smith is making $7.5m. Flacco is making... well who knows. Let's call it $16m. None of those guys is a world-beater. And all of them are a lot older than Freeman -- whose next contract will be through his prime years of ~26-30. He's going to get paid.And IMO there is approximately a 0.1% chance Mike Glennon develops into a viable (let alone average) NFL starter. So unless you want to suck, possibly for a long time (see above: finding average QBs is really hard) you need to love the one you're with.
:goodposting:

That's why I said re-signing him after an average season is the least preferable. They are easily looking at $8M even if he shows no improvement. I'm sure they'd love to pay him more if he's like Flacco and wins the Super Bowl.

gump said:
gump said:
ConstruxBoy said:
I've owned Freeman in a dynasty league since he came out and I think his problem is that he was young and raw coming into the NFL with some outstanding physical tools. I think he needed a very good and experienced QB coach to tighten up the mechanics and mental aspect of the game. Unfortunately he didn't get that with Morris as coach and it doesn't look like he'll get it with Schiano. My guess is that Schiano recognizes the need, yet knows his staff is deficient in this area so he's getting ready to blame Freeman and hope Glennon can do with less coaching.
Mike Sullivan has received a lot of credit for helping Eli in NY....now he's the problem?
Mike Sullivan is the TB QB coach? I thought it was the guy that was the QB coach in Arizona last year. And having owned John Skelton, yes, he may be the problem. Isn't it McNaulty or something like that?
Yea...they just hired the Az guy, who has a Rutgers background. Ron Turner (old Illini HC, Bears OC, and Colts QB coach) was the guy last year. He left to coach FIU....and Schiano hired McNulty. Agree that doesn't excite anyone.But I'm pretty sure Sullivan is involved heavily with Freeman.
OK, you would know better than I. But another thing that sometimes matters is the side of the ball the Head Coach is from, and of course both Morris and Schiano are from the defensive side. Anyway, probably not a big deal. Just seems to me that he hasn't gotten the coaching. Certainly some of it is on him. But imagine if Gruden was still around when he got there. Would have been nice to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
gump said:
gump said:
ConstruxBoy said:
OK, you would know better than I. But another thing that sometimes matters is the side of the ball the Head Coach is from, and of course both Morris and Schiano are from the defensive side. Anyway, probably not a big deal. Just seems to me that he hasn't gotten the coaching. Certainly some of it is on him. But imagine if Gruden was still around when he got there. Would have been nice to see.
Agree...im one of the Buc fans who never wanted Gruden to leave...Not sure we would have drafted him, but Freeman would be a pro bowler by now.

Rotoworld:

Offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan recently gave Josh Freeman a vote of confidence.
Even though Freeman set franchise records in yards (4,065) and passing touchdowns (27) last season, head coach Greg Schiano is asking him to compete with third-round rookie Mike Glennon. The Bucs have also declined to engage in contract negotiations even though Freeman is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Sullivan is singing a different tune. "Josh Freeman is our quarterback, and he's a heck of a player," he said.

Related: Mike Glennon

Source: Pewter Report

Rotoworld:

Mike Williams says Josh Freeman wasn't on the same page with the wideouts in terms of route adjustments last season.
The Bucs were breaking in new OC Mike Sullivan's offense. "The big problem last year was we couldn't get on the same page, knowing when to break our routes off," Williams said. Now entering their second year in the scheme, the entire organization is expecting Freeman to take a step forward in terms of efficiency. "We know this offense," Williams said. "It's a knowing instead of reacting to something."

Related: Mike Williams, Vincent Jackson

Source: Tampa Tribune

Rotoworld:

Josh Freeman insists his contract situation is not a distraction.
Freeman is going into the final year of his rookie deal. "I've got stuff weighing on my mind, but very little has to do with the contract year,'' Freeman said. "Yeah, it's a big year and professionally it's the biggest year I've had from that standpoint." Freeman said he'll still be "content" if the Bucs decide to move on from him in the offseason. Coach Greg Schiano has made it sound like they will unless he takes a big step forward.

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Rotoworld:

Josh Freeman insists his contract situation is not a distraction.
Freeman is going into the final year of his rookie deal. "I've got stuff weighing on my mind, but very little has to do with the contract year,'' Freeman said. "Yeah, it's a big year and professionally it's the biggest year I've had from that standpoint." Freeman said he'll still be "content" if the Bucs decide to move on from him in the offseason. Coach Greg Schiano has made it sound like they will unless he takes a big step forward.

Source: Tampa Bay Times
I heard that interview on the local radio. I don't know if it adds any context, but he sounded kind of nervous. Very talkative. Not like the Josh Freeman I'm used to hearing. Rambling even. I thought that was odd. He also missed the first day of his namesake football camp, over car troubles or something. Maybe it's nothing, but it sure looks like he's dealing with some real pressure, whether it's professional or in his personal life.

Josh Freeman will be 'content' if he has to leave Bucs

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

We've studied Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman as closely as any young quarterback in the league this offseason at Around The League.

The takeaway: He has every tool to be a great quarterback, but his maddening erratic play makes him hard to fully believe in. (The Buccaneers appear to feel the same way.) Freeman is entering a contract year and is at peace with whatever happens.

"I'm excited about getting this year going," Freeman told WDAE-FM. "It has nothing to do with ... a contract year, finding out, oh, is he signed for this? What happened? I know God has got a plan for me, it's all going to work out in the end.

"If I just give it the best I've got regardless ... if I give it the best I've got and the Buccaneers say, 'Ah, we don't think he can play for us,' at the end of the year and every other team in the NFL does and I end up wherever I end up doing whatever, I'll be content because I'll know I gave it the best I had."

Freeman is better than plenty of starting quarterbacks out there. He's shown enough talent that many teams would be happy to take him as their starter. Even if Freeman isn't trying to focus on his contract, he knows this is a make-or-break season with the Greg Schiano regime.

"Come hell or high water, trust me, dude, we're going to win some games this year. The Bucs are going to be a force. I'm pumped up about that," Freeman said.

If they win -- even a 9-7 season -- we would expect Freeman to stay right where he is.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Rotoworld:

Coach Greg Schiano said the Bucs "only have one quarterback," and "it's Josh Freeman."
Technically, the Bucs have four quarterbacks on the roster. But Schiano is trying to prop Freeman back up after the offseason kicked off with the coach questioning the former first-round pick's long-term outlook. "[Freeman] had a really good spring," Schiano continued. "I think it's really coming together, being in this system for a second year now. ... I'm really encouraged. ... Josh is going to have a big year." Freeman is entering a contract year, while coming off a horrific end to the 2012 season in which he threw just two touchdowns and a whopping nine interceptions over his final three contests.

Source: NFL.com
NFL Films guru Greg Cosell likes third-round QB Mike Glennon's willingness to attempt difficult passes.
"(In) the NFL, there are four or five throws in every game that are difficult throws, and you have to be willing to pull the trigger and throw balls when it appears that your receivers are covered," Cosell said. "Mike Glennon is willing to do that, and he can sit on his back foot and throw the ball effectively." Cosell considers Josh Freeman "on the clock," and believes Glennon will get a "very legitimate chance to be the starter." We highly doubt Glennon will unseat Freeman in camp, but Freeman can ill-afford any early-year struggles.

Related: Josh Freeman

Source: Yahoo Sports

Rotoworld:

Bucs coach Greg Schiano gave Josh Freeman another vote of confidence as the team opened training camp.
"Josh [Freeman] is our quarterback," Schiano said. "I talk a lot about competition and maybe that kind of got taken out of context. I’ll put it on me; I shouldn’t have led people that way. ... I expect big things from Josh, and more importantly Josh expects big things from Josh. I really think he’ll have a good year." Schiano reiterated that he's "excited" about rookie Mike Glennon, but the Bucs' quarterback job is no longer open to competition.

Source: buccaneers.com

Rotoworld:

Bucs GM Mark Dominik said the team won't address Josh Freeman's contract until 2014.
"I think there’s just a comfort level that everybody understands where Josh Freeman’s going," Dominik said. "Let’s focus on this season, and then, we’ll go after the season’s over." As we noted multiple times in the offseason, Freeman has one year left on his rookie deal at $8.43 million. The Bucs want to see him take the next step before forking over a gargantuan new contract.

Source: Sports Radio 620 WDAE

Josh Freeman, Buccaneers to talk contract after season

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Coach Greg Schiano recently told NFL Network that Josh Freeman is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' "only" quarterback, but the organization still isn't ready to commit to its starter on a long-term contract.

General manager Mark Dominik said in January that he was in "no hurry" to extend Freeman's rookie deal entering a contract year. He reiterated that stance Saturday.

"I think there's just a comfort level that everybody understands where Josh Freeman's going," Dominik told Tom Krasniqi on WDAE-AM. "Let's focus on this season, and then, we'll go after the season's over."

Schiano inherited Freeman from the previous regime and still wonders if he has a franchise quarterback on his hands.

"(Schiano) wants a guy who is going to get in guys' faces when they make mistakes," one Buccaneers source told Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com. "The fiery, take-charge guy."

While Schiano's locker-room expectations are a bit nebulous, Freeman's on-field issues are easier to dissect.

His footwork and mechanics break down on occasion, leading to enigmatic swings in accuracy.

Only Mark Sanchez had a worse passer rating versus the blitz last season. Only four quarterbacks have thrown more interceptions since Freeman entered the league in 2009.

Freeman finds himself in the same position as Jay Cutler, a talented but flawed quarterback who could follow Joe Flacco's primrose path to a mega contract or wash out of the gutter as a journeyman in the fashion of Carson Palmer, Jason Campbell and Kevin Kolb.

The Around The League Podcast is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Rotoworld:

Rookie Mike Glennon is already listed as the Bucs' No. 2 quarterback, behind only Josh Freeman.
It's according to the Bucs' latest training camp depth chart. Dan Orlovsky has been bumped to third string. Tampa Bay will likely consider entering the season with only two quarterbacks on its roster. Although Glennon is no longer considered in the running to compete with Freeman, the Bucs are clearly pleased with his progress. Glennon is an intriguing hold in Dynasty leagues.

Related: Dan Orlovsky, Josh Freeman

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 2 - 2:33 PM

In a 2qb league I had an owner dump Glennon this past week for Jonathan Stewart. I jumped in an snagged him right away. Funny thing was that I cut Stewart earlier in the week just to free myself of the headache of owning him.

Fran Tarkenton: Josh Freeman can't play

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Hall of Fame quarterback Fran Tarkenton had a harsh assessment of Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman in this radio interview with WDAE.

Tarkenton expressed doubt about Freeman’s ability to succeed in the NFL and suggested rookie Mike Glennon could beat him out.

“They’ve had him there for four years and they have question marks about you?’’ Tarkenton said. “You didn’t have question marks about Matt Ryan after his fourth year or Joe Flacco. That means they don’t think he can play. He’s not going to get magical and all of the sudden in the fifth year be Aaron Rodgers. They want (Glennon) to be able to play. The only thing that will keep him from playing is if he’s not able to learn the system and make plays.’’

Tarkenton said the fact Glennon has gotten more preseason work than Freeman could be a sign of things to come.

“You’ve got to look at the signs,’’ Tarkenton said. “The signs never lie. The signs are reality. If you’re giving the rookie most of the reps, you want to see if he can play.’’

Tarkenton said Freeman lacks the consistency to succeed.

“He plays sometimes at a nice level," Tarkenton said. “I’ve watched him a lot. He just plays god-awful. That’s who you are. It’s just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he can’t play."

That’s a pretty harsh assessment. I don’t think the Bucs are ready to hand the starting job to Glennon. But it’s also pretty obvious they aren’t completely sure that Freeman is the answer. Freeman remains the starter, but I think it’s safe to say he’ll be on a short leash. If he struggles in the regular season, he could end up being replaced by Glennon.

The only thing that will keep him from playing is if he’s not able to learn the system and make plays.
Ok...that all?

I would add that Glennon also won't get to play if he's not a good NFL QB.

Would it be nice to have a better QB than Freeman? Yes. But the Bucs have invested a lot into their team and handing it over to a rookie who needs 3+ years to get to where Freeman is now isn't the answer imo...

Really surprised to see Freeman look so bad in the 3rd preseason game. If he can't handle the pressure of the Bucs drafting Glennon, this is going to get ugly this season. Glennon isn't ready to lead this team.

:tfp:

Greg Schiano: QB Mike Glennon making strides for BucsBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers don't have a quarterback controversy, but they do have a player to watch in Mike Glennon.

After Josh Freeman struggled in Friday night's 25-21 preseason loss to the Patriots, his rookie backup showed progress, standing tall against the rush and displaying his strong arm in a two-touchdown performance against New England's multiple-look defense.

"He's picking it up," Bucs coach Greg Schiano said, per the team's official website. "It's hard for a rookie; it's a lot of stuff and exponentially when you put a defense like New England's that does a lot of stuff -- it's 3-4 and it's 4-3; it can kind of get on you. He didn't get a lot of plays in practice. That was by the plan. He got some, but Josh was going to get most of the practice and Mike was going to get most of the game, and that was the way we wanted to do it."

On a night when Freeman was sacked three times and Glennon was knocked to the turf on his first drive, Schiano was impressed with how the rookie responded to a collapsing pocket.

"He got crocked one time," Schiano said, "and I was anxious to see how he got up; and he caught one right between the numbers and popped up."

Glennon's numbers -- 12-of-22 passing for 121 yards and two touchdowns with one interception -- were a step forward, but what stood out to us was the arm strength and the way he bounced back from the third-quarter pick.

It's hard to argue with Greg Cosell, the NFL Films senior producer who said in May: "When you pop in tape of a guy, and often you can see this after one game or 15 throws, you say, 'That guy (Glennon) looks like a quarterback and other guys don't.' "

Schiano repeatedly has quelled talk of a quarterback switch in Tampa Bay. It's Freeman's job to lose, but Glennon gives the Bucs an intriguing second option.

The Around The League Podcast is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Gerald McCoy is getting sick of the Josh Freeman bashingPosted by Mike Florio on August 20, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT

As the Buccaneers prepare for what could be a make-or-break season for quarterback Josh Freeman, defensive tackle Gerald McCoy would like to see folks take a break from bashing the 2009 first-round pick.

“I think the reason I’m so sensitive about [the Freeman bashing] is because I got it for two years,” McCoy told reporters on Tuesday, via JoeBucsFan.com. ”They talked bad about me for two years. So, it’s like, I don’t take to well to it when they talk about my teammates.

“He had a real good year. People give him so much scrutiny. I’m like, ‘Man, you all got to relax. Like, calm down, man.’ They just, I think he gets treated unfairly a lot. Like I said, to me, it’s a sensitive area because, you know, I got it for two years. Actually still get it.”

McCoy never got it as bad as Freeman. Most recently, Hall of Fame quarterback Fran Tarkenton teed off on Freeman, explaining that the fifth-year player has had plenty of chances to show that he can play, and that Freeman has so far failed.

He just plays God awful. And that’s who you are, right?” Tarkenton told WDAE radio on Tuesday morning, via JoeBucsFan.com. “Josh Freeman has proven to me that he can’t play.”

Tarkenton thinks the Bucs are giving rookie Mike Glennon a chance to take the job from Freeman, who has yet to perform at a high level on a consistent basis.

Freeman is on thin ice, even if he holds off Glennon he is not likely to be renewed. Bucs either go with Glennon next season or look elsewhere. Could be picking top 5 in 2015 if they roll with Glennon in 2014.

Freeman for 2013, who knows after that.

That's about it. Freeman this year, who knows after that. Although, later in this season if they're struggling (which they probably will be), I wouldn't be surprised if they turned to Glennnon to start a few games, start 2nd halves, etc.

I've owned Freeman the last few years, he can look good at times but his accuracy and decision-making seem to be mediocre at best. He's been a better fantasy QB than NFL QB imho b/c the days he has terrible 1st halves (e.g. the Bucs are down at HT like 24-3), he gets some garbage time yardage, TDs etc in the 2nd half to salvage the day.

As for Tarkenton's comments, harsh but true to me. INCONSISTENT. I would bet a decent chunk of dough this is his last year as the starter.

Freeman is on thin ice, even if he holds off Glennon he is not likely to be renewed. Bucs either go with Glennon next season or look elsewhere. Could be picking top 5 in 2015 if they roll with Glennon in 2014.

So the Bucs spent huge money on Jackson, Nicks, Revis, Goldson, re-signing Mike Williams and Davin Joseph, etc. only to tank it in 2014? That's pure genius. You don't pay those guys if your starting QB is Mike Glennon.

They basically gave Freeman a two year window. They have him signed for this year, and if he plays well (makes the playoffs) they can extend him after the season. If he plays mediocre they can franchise him and give him another shot in 2014 with this same core of players.

Freeman has barely played this preseason. There were some heinous drops the other night that don't show up in the box score.

The defense in 2012 was to blame for at least 4 of this team's losses. Freeman built leads and the D couldn't hold them.

I'm really sick of Josh taking all the heat for the Bucs' woes. This will be the first time Josh has ever worked in the same offense two years in a row. He's only 25...

You don't throw for 25 TDs and only 6 INTs in your second pro season if you can't play. I don't care what the competition was. You don't have the best statistical season in Bucs' history if you can't play. Eff Fran Tarkenton.

He has to prove it this year. That I can agree with. He doesn't have any more excuses.

So the Bucs spent huge money on Jackson, Nicks, Revis, Goldson, re-signing Mike Williams and Davin Joseph, etc. only to tank it in 2014? That's pure genius. You don't pay those guys if your starting QB is Mike Glennon.

They basically gave Freeman a two year window. They have him signed for this year, and if he plays well (makes the playoffs) they can extend him after the season. If he plays mediocre they can franchise him and give him another shot in 2014 with this same core of players.

Freeman has barely played this preseason. There were some heinous drops the other night that don't show up in the box score.

The defense in 2012 was to blame for at least 4 of this team's losses. Freeman built leads and the D couldn't hold them.

I'm really sick of Josh taking all the heat for the Bucs' woes. This will be the first time Josh has ever worked in the same offense two years in a row. He's only 25...

You don't throw for 25 TDs and only 6 INTs in your second pro season if you can't play. I don't care what the competition was. You don't have the best statistical season in Bucs' history if you can't play. Eff Fran Tarkenton.

He has to prove it this year. That I can agree with. He doesn't have any more excuses.
Big dog? Is that you? :lol:

Vjax and Williams looked like they were sleep walking....Freeman looked decent at the beginning, but he had no help. And I'm not a fan of his.

Big dog? Is that you? :lol:
:scared: :banned: :drive:

[SIZE=10.5pt]Freeman is an avg. QB at best. He has all the physical tools but has horrible decision making, is inaccurate, and inconsistent. I keep hearing people in this town say he should be resigned, and that he would be one of the top free agents at the end of the season, but unless he makes a dramatic improvement I’m not buying it. Who would want to resign a veteran QB when you can take a chance on a rookie and lock them in for 5 years at a cheap salary. All indications are that next year’s draft will be a strong QB class with as many as 10 QBs projected to go in the first few rounds. I’m not saying he won’t get signed as a free agent, but all the likely suitors (Jax, Oak, Ten) would likely select a rookie. I honestly think 15-20 current QBs could look as good or better in the Bucs offense. He has 2 solid WRs, a good run game, and an above average O-line.[/SIZE]

Maybe if his coach would stop bagging on him and, you know, actually coach him Freeman might get better faster.

Eli Manning @ 24: 294 for 557 (52.8%), 3762yds, 24tds, 17ints, 6.75 y/a

Eli Manning thru four years: 987 for 1805 (54.7%), 11385yds, 77tds (4.3%), 64ints (3.5%), 6.3 y/a

Josh Freeman @ 24: 306 for 558 (54.8%), 4065yds, 27tds, 17ints, 7.28 y/a

Josh Freeman thru four years: 1101 for 1873 (58.8%), 12963yds, 78tds (4.2%), 63ints (3.5%), 6.9 y/a

Take guys with tools, help them get better and be patient. Not every QB is Peyton Manning -- ready to set the world on fire at a young age.

The local pundits are turning on Freeman. They kind of gave him a pass for the first two preseason games because he was only in for a couple of series and the offense sputtered. No worries, give him a shot to play into the 3rd quarter and we'll see....

Josh had a pretty bleak game coming off some scathing criticism from Fran Tarkenton, where he said all the right things in response to the comments, but it sure looked and sounded like he was very hurt by the comments. He was supposed to come out against the Dolphins and shut the critics up with a timely precision quarterback clinic. But he was anything but a franchise savior. Yes there were some dropped balls, but his accuracy, vision, and decision making were awful. He looked out of sync. Not just with his recievers, but in general. This game was extremely important for him, and it looked like he slept late and went through the motions. He doesn't seem to show any sense of urgency, and looks complacent with his performance knowing he's the entrenched starter.

The Josh Freeman I saw in the Miami game looked beated down by the stress of expectations. Gone is the swagger. He seemed relieved to sit on the sidelines when Glennon came in for him. I just don't know if Tampa is wise to commit to him long term. I don't think Glennon is the answer, but Freeman isn't going to take them where they want or expect to go. Coach Schiano is expecting a lot of his starting QB, and Freeman seems to shrug sheepishly as if to say, "that's all I can do". I think it's going to be Freeman's last year as a Tampa Bay Buccaneer. Just don't see the Schiano-Freeman marriage lasting.

Users who are viewing this thread