What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (1 Viewer)

Jack White said:
Not sure Miller is a 20+ touch type of guy.

And if Ajayi is any good, he will eat into that workload.

Miami gave touches to Damien Williams and Daniel Thomas last year because it knows Miller is not a workhorse.
I wouldn't say this staff is full of geniuses. They just resigned that Freeman turd.At 5-10, 224 he easily fits the mold of a 20+ RB. They are just too stupid to figure that out.
So now there have been two coaching staffs in Miami who don't view him as a workhorse.
No Philbin drafted him. Entering his 4th year as coach and Lamar Miller as a 4th year pro.

And they do not view him as a high volume carry guy. And honestly he only needs 3-4 more touches via run or pass. He does not need 20 plus touches to be effective. He is a homerun hitter and a threat to take it all the way or get huge chunk yardage plays.

He is their lead dog and should improve upon his breakout season if...if the line is improved and Tannehill is a true threat (which started to happen at times last season).

1300 total yards and 6 TD's along with 20 receptions is what I would see as his high end. A solid number two FF RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack White said:

Miami gave touches to Damien Williams and Daniel Thomas last year because it knows Miller is not a workhorse.
I wouldn't say this staff is full of geniuses. They just resigned that Freeman turd.At 5-10, 224 he easily fits the mold of a 20+ RB. They are just too stupid to figure that out.
So now there have been two coaching staffs in Miami who don't view him as a workhorse.
1300 total yards and 6 TD's along with 20 receptions is what I would see as his high end. A solid number two FF RB.
To me this is way understating his upside. I'd say on the high end you could see 1600 total yards and 10 TDs with 35 receptions. On the low end (barring injury) maybe 1000/6 with 25. Even on this low end he would have been a fringe RB2 last year. The higher projection would have finished RB7, ahead of Charles last year.

Jack White said:

No Philbin drafted him. Entering his 4th year as coach and Lamar Miller as a 4th year pro.

And they do not view him as a high volume carry guy. And honestly he only needs 3-4 more touches via run or pass. He does not need 20 plus touches to be effective. He is a homerun hitter and a threat to take it all the way or get huge chunk yardage plays.

He is their lead dog and should improve upon his breakout season if...if the line is improved and Tannehill is a true threat (which started to happen at times last season).

You have all his numbers dropping from last season in your high end prediction. Why would his high end reception total be 20 when he had 38 last year?

Not holding my breath that this cat gets truly unleashed. I don't see Ajayi being the more talented player, but he'll certainly cut in some.

As Todem mentioned (though Todem's ceiling looks off), he won't need volume touches to be a quality RB2 in PPR, as he was already that this past year, finishing RB13 in PPR PPG at 14.2.

I'm hopeful we see 2-3 more total touches per game, which for a high efficiency Miller could result in RB7-8 finish at 16-17 PPR PPG.

Dolphins’ Branden Albert ready to go for training camp; DeVante Parker weeks away from return

As for Albert, the star left tackle who is some 10 months removed from major knee surgery, he will begin Miami Dolphins training camp on the active roster.

There was some concern he would open camp on the PUP list, but Dolphins doctors determined he is healthy enough to practice in the near future.

It's not clear how much on-field work he will do during Thursday morning's session at the team's Davie practice facility, but if Albert was deemed unable to work with his teammates for an extended period of time, they would have put him on the PUP list.

The team’s top priority is to have Albert healthy and ready for the regular-season opener, so they will be judicious in how much actual contact Albert sees, particularly early in the preseason.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article29271796.html#storylink=cpy

Dolphins’ Branden Albert ready to go for training camp; DeVante Parker weeks away from return

As for Albert, the star left tackle who is some 10 months removed from major knee surgery, he will begin Miami Dolphins training camp on the active roster.

There was some concern he would open camp on the PUP list, but Dolphins doctors determined he is healthy enough to practice in the near future.

It's not clear how much on-field work he will do during Thursday morning's session at the team's Davie practice facility, but if Albert was deemed unable to work with his teammates for an extended period of time, they would have put him on the PUP list.

The team’s top priority is to have Albert healthy and ready for the regular-season opener, so they will be judicious in how much actual contact Albert sees, particularly early in the preseason.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article29271796.html#storylink=cpy

Not holding my breath that this cat gets truly unleashed. I don't see Ajayi being the more talented player, but he'll certainly cut in some.

As Todem mentioned (though Todem's ceiling looks off), he won't need volume touches to be a quality RB2 in PPR, as he was already that this past year, finishing RB13 in PPR PPG at 14.2.

I'm hopeful we see 2-3 more total touches per game, which for a high efficiency Miller could result in RB7-8 finish at 16-17 PPR PPG.
I temper my enthusiasim due to the coaching staff. They just don't give him as much work as he should get. My adoration for Lamar is well documented in this thread.

It won't be Lamar holding his numbers back. It will be Philbin. I also expect Jordan Cameron to eat into his receptions more than anyone else. Charles was banged up all last season. If Cameron is healthy he will take away some of those passing plays. Sounds odd....but there are a lot of mouths to feed this season. Lamar will more of his damage in the running game but real some huge plays on screens. I just think those opportunities will be more limited this season. But I look for a bump in his overall yardage and TD's.

Landry

Jennings

Cameron

Stills

Parker

Miller

I temper my enthusiasim due to the coaching staff. They just don't give him as much work as he should get. My adoration for Lamar is well documented in this thread.

It won't be Lamar holding his numbers back. It will be Philbin. I also expect Jordan Cameron to eat into his receptions more than anyone else. Charles was banged up all last season. If Cameron is healthy he will take away some of those passing plays. Sounds odd....but there are a lot of mouths to feed this season. Lamar will more of his damage in the running game but real some huge plays on screens. I just think those opportunities will be more limited this season. But I look for a bump in his overall yardage and TD's.

Landry

Jennings

Cameron

Stills

Parker

Miller
I don't think Parker will eat into his catches anytime soon. The reason rookie WRs have been able to produce immediately is because of all of the off season work they are exposed to. Parker didn't have time to get a lot of reps during OTAs and minicamps because of his foot and he opened camp on the PUP, sure they say he will be healthy for week one but with no real practice time I don't see him contributing anything significantly until mid/late season at the earliest.

Stills may or may not be a good receiver, Brees can make anyone look good, can Tannehill? And the fact that the Saints traded him after getting rid of their best receiving weapon should be a bit of a warning sign.

Cameron flashed skills two years ago but has shown very little in three other seasons (admittedly on a terrible team) plus injury history has to be a huge concern.

I guess Jennings will be the de facto #2 target in the offense so what does that translate to? 70-75 catches at most?

No I think Miller has plenty of opportunity to match, or even exceed, his reception totals from last year.

Landry

Jennings

Cameron

Stills

Parker

Miller
I don't think Parker will eat into his catches anytime soon. The reason rookie WRs have been able to produce immediately is because of all of the off season work they are exposed to. Parker didn't have time to get a lot of reps during OTAs and minicamps because of his foot and he opened camp on the PUP, sure they say he will be healthy for week one but with no real practice time I don't see him contributing anything significantly until mid/late season at the earliest.

Stills may or may not be a good receiver, Brees can make anyone look good, can Tannehill? And the fact that the Saints traded him after getting rid of their best receiving weapon should be a bit of a warning sign.

Cameron flashed skills two years ago but has shown very little in three other seasons (admittedly on a terrible team) plus injury history has to be a huge concern.

I guess Jennings will be the de facto #2 target in the offense so what does that translate to? 70-75 catches at most?

No I think Miller has plenty of opportunity to match, or even exceed, his reception totals from last year.
I hope your right. That would be a great thing. If he can exceed his totals from last year my ceiling is indeed low.

So let's say he breaks out with 50 catches. 1500 - 1700 yards 10 TD's is totally in play. Those extra 12 opportunities (compared to last years 38) with the ball in his hands in the open field is where Lamar shines.

1,500 total yds and 10 TDs wouldn't be breaking out for Miller. 1,300 total yds and 6 TDs as his upside is ridiculously conservative. You do realize he had 1,374 total yds and 9 TDs last year, right?

jurb26 said:
1,500 total yds and 10 TDs wouldn't be breaking out for Miller. 1,300 total yds and 6 TDs as his upside is ridiculously conservative. You do realize he had 1,374 total yds and 9 TDs last year, right?
Yes I do. Own him in three leagues.

Quietly was a top 10 PPR RB in 2014. (9th to be exact)

Got an alert on my phone that Ajayi had to be helped off the field today with an arm injury. Anyone know any more about that? Hoping as a Fins fan that it was a bogus report or a very minor injury.

Got an alert on my phone that Ajayi had to be helped off the field today with an arm injury. Anyone know any more about that? Hoping as a Fins fan that it was a bogus report or a very minor injury.
Checking into it

Update:

Have seen zero said about it.

And on another note I can't stand that freaking bubble they practice in. It has made them far softer in the heat when that was our advantage early in the season. Damn you Nick ****ing Saban.

yeah at the 9 slot I am likely to go WR/WR and then target Miller at 3.09.
This is similar to the strategy I jumped on last year.

Going WR-WR then getting a load of RBs throughout the remainder of the draft.

In my leagues, we all start 3WRs so having 2 or even THREE stud WRs is a big advantage.

(on that note,I am a big proponent of playing 3WRs in all leagues, especially with the way the league has trended towards more passing in recent years)

Miller is one I find myself getting in early mocks.

If you employ this strategy, the backs you can choose from generally are Forsett (he is often just gone in the few picks beforehand), Melvin Gordon, Ingram, J Stewart and a few others in this range.

I have had my reservations about Lamar Miller. Ajayi is certainly one.

But I do have a soft spot for Miller, he helped me to win a championship last year in the one league I had him in. (which was one of those 3 WR leagues)

Miller may not have always been the best runner, highest ypc, or been at the top in any one of a number of metrics.

But the fact is, the team liked him enough to continue giving him touches and thats all I really care about in most redraft leagues.

(I think its a similar situation to Andre Ellington, the constant workload last year made him very helpful)

Note- if you use this type WR-WR strategy, these " moderate-to-heavy usage" type RB2 backs are a Godsend to those of us that went WR-WR early in drafts.

I'd much rather have some of these, (and multiple premiere WRs) than paying full price for an elite back, that can get injured just like everyone else.

And I will most certainly be targeting a few of these RBs in every league yet again this year.

TZM

Miller may not have always been the best runner, highest ypc, or been at the top in any one of a number of metrics.
Well, actually, he was. His 5.1 ypc was 2nd highest in the NFL behind only Forsett. His 9 runs of 20+ yards was tied for 3rd in the NFL behind only Forsett and Murray. His 1st down % conversion of 26.4% was 2nd in the NFL for RBs behind only Jeremy Hill.

He was actually at the top of a lot of metrics.

gianmarco said:
Well, actually, he was. His 5.1 ypc was 2nd highest in the NFL behind only Forsett. His 9 runs of 20+ yards was tied for 3rd in the NFL behind only Forsett and Murray. His 1st down % conversion of 26.4% was 2nd in the NFL for RBs behind only Jeremy Hill.

He was actually at the top of a lot of metrics.
I knew he was top 5-ish from memory, so solid. But I never looked back to see he was quite as high as 2nd.

The main thing about him and runners like him, is more how the organizations view him. (at least to me and how I appreciate his fantasy value anyway)

They tend to love using him, or at least they did last year after Moreno went down.

The prior year, it was almost as if they didn't trust him fully and they gave him sporadic work.

Hopefully now, after last year they will continue to feed him a fair amount giving him good value.

I actually had him in multiple leagues last year, but I dropped him after Moreno had a strong game 1.

I should have held tight, for we all know what happened. I was fortunate enough to snag Miller off the wire mid week in that one league when the rumors came out of practice that day that he was done for the year.

Miller's current ADP is somewhere in the 40-45 range, and frankly I like him a lot, but I would rather him slip further. :)

So I can get him "cheap" in like round 5 or 6.

I will gladly take this guy, Forsett/Buck Allen, and Ellington/Johnson instead of paying full sticker price for Charles, Lynch or one of the big names.

Ellington is another I am very high on...for several reasons I won't get into here.

But his numbers weren't anywhere near as pretty as Millers. They just gave him a big workload.

I haven't really thought about "locking up this backfield" much, but I guess getting Ajayi will be something I look into, if I do end up with Miller.

The AZ backfield is one I have been getting everywhere, and Miami may turn out to be another.

This is going to be a juicy scenario if you get 2-3 WR super studs early imo.

Hopefully this is another one that has a very quiet camp, so the hype stays down as the drafts start approaching.

TZM

We will have to see if 224 is a good playing weight for him. Players that add weight sometimes lose some quickness or burst.
See post #70 in this thread for some information on how adding weight can impact the performance for RBs:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/472898-the-weight-gain-or-weight-loss-thread-for-players/page-2

Adding weight is probably a bad idea if the player's body type is not built to be at it's best at that weight.

We don't know what the ideal weight is for Miller (or any player really), but I can't imagine up and adding 10 pounds at this stage is ever a good idea.

If anything, he now needs to learn to run at that weight, and it could really hamper him because he will think he can make a move quicker than he actually can. It seems like a very bad idea for a RB to add significant weight.

Miller just turned 24 in April, as he came in to the league on the young side. Seems like "at this stage" in his career that it could be chalked up to a reasonable amount of 'man weight'.

In my leagues, we all start 3WRs so having 2 or even THREE stud WRs is a big advantage.

(on that note,I am a big proponent of playing 3WRs in all leagues, especially with the way the league has trended towards more passing in recent years)

If you employ this strategy, the backs you can choose from generally are Forsett (he is often just gone in the few picks beforehand), Melvin Gordon, Ingram, J Stewart and a few others in this range.

But I do have a soft spot for Miller, he helped me to win a championship last year in the one league I had him in. (which was one of those 3 WR leagues)

But the fact is, the team liked him enough to continue giving him touches and thats all I really care about in most redraft leagues.

(I think its a similar situation to Andre Ellington, the constant workload last year made him very helpful)

Note- if you use this type WR-WR strategy, these " moderate-to-heavy usage" type RB2 backs are a Godsend to those of us that went WR-WR early in drafts.

I'd much rather have some of these, (and multiple premiere WRs) than paying full price for an elite back, that can get injured just like everyone else.

And I will most certainly be targeting a few of these RBs in every league yet again this year.

TZM

TZM
I am jazzed, I got Miller @ 5.1 tonight after drafting from the 1 hole in a 12 team ppr draft.

1. Antonio Brown

2. Justin Forsett

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Keenan Allen

5. Lamar Miller

I am jazzed, I got Miller @ 5.1 tonight after drafting from the 1 hole in a 12 team ppr draft.

1. Antonio Brown

2. Justin Forsett

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Keenan Allen

5. Lamar Miller
Nice work.

I am not a big fan of Keenan Allen, but he is likely due for a rebound of sorts. Nothing but positives are coming from that camp too.

Since you drafted at #1 (which I generally do NOT like) thats a very good start to a team.

I would be very determined to get Buck Allen as a handcuff.

Now on Miller.......... I can't read out this scenario just yet. But by the time my drafts are approaching, I think I will be ready to cuff him with Ajayi also, depending on how the camp rumors are going.

On that note- It may seem like I am a big "handcuff guy", and thats not really the case. Often I look for upside elsewhere.

But I do think in some situations it can be a rock solid "insurance strategy", and the reason I am so high on Buck Allen is, well its actually two reasons.

Do we really know for certain Forsett is the guy? It certainly looks like he is at this point. But that combined with all the passing he should get in the Trestman offense could be monstrous. Buck Allen is another decent pass catcher too, so you are one injury away from a golden situation if you acquire them both, in my opinion..

I don't know if Miller will be another top guy to handcuff just yet, but we should know more as camps open up.

Good work on the PPR draft.

TZM

Was out at Dolphins camp.

Miller looks outstanding. Speed is all still there. He has gained 7 pounds with the weight he is being listed at right now. He may have his best season yet.

The biggest question is who will be his primary backup. Right now Damien Williams is asserting himself to be that guy. LaMichael James has also looked really sharp, espeically on punt returns. Jay looked good too, but Williams really is hungry to keep his back up role.

But make no mistake. Lamar Miller is entrenched and the man in the Dolphins backfield.

1. Antonio Brown

2. Justin Forsett

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Keenan Allen

5. Lamar Miller
Nice work.

I am not a big fan of Keenan Allen, but he is likely due for a rebound of sorts. Nothing but positives are coming from that camp too.

Since you drafted at #1 (which I generally do NOT like) thats a very good start to a team.

I would be very determined to get Buck Allen as a handcuff.

Now on Miller.......... I can't read out this scenario just yet. But by the time my drafts are approaching, I think I will be ready to cuff him with Ajayi also, depending on how the camp rumors are going.

On that note- It may seem like I am a big "handcuff guy", and thats not really the case. Often I look for upside elsewhere.

But I do think in some situations it can be a rock solid "insurance strategy", and the reason I am so high on Buck Allen is, well its actually two reasons.

Do we really know for certain Forsett is the guy? It certainly looks like he is at this point. But that combined with all the passing he should get in the Trestman offense could be monstrous. Buck Allen is another decent pass catcher too, so you are one injury away from a golden situation if you acquire them both, in my opinion..

I don't know if Miller will be another top guy to handcuff just yet, but we should know more as camps open up.

Good work on the PPR draft.

TZM
I wouldn't assume Allen is the guy to target as Forsett's backup. According to reports I've read, Talliaferro has been superior to Allen, particularly in pass protection.

TZM

TZM
I am jazzed, I got Miller @ 5.1 tonight after drafting from the 1 hole in a 12 team ppr draft.1. Antonio Brown

2. Justin Forsett

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Keenan Allen

5. Lamar Miller
Nice but I hate Allen in the fourth.

Rotoworld:

Lamar Miller - RB - Dolphins

Lamar Miller rushed three times for 32 yards in the Dolphins' preseason opener against the Bears.

Miller got three carries to start the game, broke a 27-yarder and also had an eight-yard run called back. A bit of a stir was caused when Miller was pulled for Damien Williams when the Dolphins reached the red zone, but it turned out he was simply done for the day, with Williams taking over thereafter.

Aug 13 - 8:34 PM

10-7 in the 4th qtr

Miller -- 6 carries for 38 yards (6.3 ypc)

Tanne -- 29 pass attempts for 189 yds

Just mind boggling.
1st quarter - 1, 0

2nd quarter - 1

3rd quarter - 7, 12, 17

4th quarter - 7, 2, 2, -6, 1, 1, 8

Same as it ever was.

Mia's use of Miller is one of the strangest things in football IMO. I don't know why they continually try to force Tannehill to pass so much, but it's enough of a trend to just know they are doing it.

Philbin is a moron and it's wearing off on Lazor. Where are the passes to Lamar Miller, who caught tons in the preseason and did great last year. Stupid coaching is flying high right out of the gate.

A win is a win, gut I agree Miami's usage of Miller and Tannehill seems strange. Maybe they would have gone a different route if the game unfolded differently. May be an early buy low opportunity if someone is freaking out over this.

Lamar has not looked good but their offense is strange to watch, not sure if it's my bias from having Miller in FF but it seems like they don't try to run the ball at all. All a bunch of short/intermediate passes.

Lamar has not looked good but their offense is strange to watch, not sure if it's my bias from having Miller in FF but it seems like they don't try to run the ball at all. All a bunch of short/intermediate passes.
I think he had all of 4 attempts in the first half of the opening game? I've never seen an NFL offense try to exist without establishing at least some ground game. Very weird and concerning considering I spend a 3rd round pick on the guy to be my RB1

Users who are viewing this thread