What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (1 Viewer)

Philbin should have been fired 2 years ago. But I can't see making Lazor the interim HC since he's even more to blame for the horrendous play calling.
Yep and this should be interesting to see if Dan Campbell tells Lazor to knock it off and that he doesn't have Dan Marino back there.

Philbin should have been fired 2 years ago. But I can't see making Lazor the interim HC since he's even more to blame for the horrendous play calling.
Well, you got your wish. Two possibilities here, one good and one bad:

Good - This can be nothing but a potential uptick in terms of volume for Miller.

Bad - With pending FA, does a new coaching regime see what they have in Ajayi, feed Miller until the wheels fall off, or begin a committee to achieve both?

Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they feed Miller enough to get the Cowboys to pick him up for free in the offseason. He's leaving for bigger $ and this stupid organization won't be able to keep him.

Good - This can be nothing but a potential uptick in terms of volume for Miller.

Bad - With pending FA, does a new coaching regime see what they have in Ajayi, feed Miller until the wheels fall off, or begin a committee to achieve both?

Ugh.
This is an interim coaching staff. They dont have the luxury to see what they have for next year. Unlikely they get a next year. This is an audition for a future gig. They will put their best 11 on both sides of the ball, and try to win as many games as they can.

Ugh.
This is an interim coaching staff. They dont have the luxury to see what they have for next year. Unlikely they get a next year. This is an audition for a future gig. They will put their best 11 on both sides of the ball, and try to win as many games as they can.
This is very true. I'd argue that it's more likely the coaching regime tries to show what they have this year rather than show what the franchise has next year in their rookie RB. The coaching staff is auditioning for a permanent role next year. Their best chance to do that is with Miller. Biased here as I own Miller, but really it's not hard to see the problem isn't Miller, it's the coaching staff.

First series this week: Miller 14 yard gain, proceed to throw three incompletions, punt. It was incredibly frustrating to watch but that first series sums up millers usage this year.

It's worth noting that millers receptions are what made him huge last year and he just isn't getting them this year.

This Just In...... Joe Philbin has been arrested and detained in a London police station for impersonating an NFL coach
Funny, but like the people in London care. I bet most of those tickets are free hand outs over there or season ticket holders that have enough money to make the trip. They might even trick the people into the stadium, free football tickets and they all go rushing in, the doors lock behind them and the realize it is American football and are pissed.
This made me laugh out loud!

I'm holding for now. There's a few ww targets out there, but I'd rather hold onto a starting RB with potential. He's ridin the pine until further notice.

Has anyone asked Campbell about the run game yet? I still don't understand why they don't run the ball?

MIA is 31st in attempts, yet are tied at #9 in yards per attempt at 4.3. It clearly isn't lack of ability to run, it's refusal.

Has anyone asked Campbell about the run game yet? I still don't understand why they don't run the ball?

MIA is 31st in attempts, yet are tied at #9 in yards per attempt at 4.3. It clearly isn't lack of ability to run, it's refusal.
im guessing the TE`s will be huge in his game plan

Filbin said something about needing to run the ball more before this week's game. :lmao:

Ugh.
I think it's possible that the interim HC gives some players chances which they did not have before and simplifies some things on offense and defense.

The interim HC's main job is to motivate players to play hard and remind them that there will be a new staff next year so look sharp.

Really good player that isn't getting the ball, new coaching staff....I smell a guy you need to pickup right now before people in your league figure that out. I already nabbed him this morning. When Philbin got the boot this became a priority move.

I expect a complete culture change here over the next 2 weeks. That will hopefully get this team to play hard. They have not been playing hard since Philbin got here. It's been brutal.

Regardless of culture change, playing hard and what not, the fact of the matter is our guards are pure garbage. The worst in the league, our play calling is about as bad as it can be and maybe that is Philbins fault, maybe not. We will find out in 2 weeks.

They need Brandon Albert back, and this OL must improve drastically for Miller to start making noise. There is nothing wrong with Lamar. He produces when given the work. He also is great when getting the ball in space. All things we know.

Let's see if the coaching change get's this offense back on track. But it really boils down to the OL. If they continue to play like the first 4 weeks.....dumpster fire.

Good homer insight....a bad O line is tough to overcome
The question is this. Is it OL bad because of coaching?

ATL had the worlds worst line in 2014. 4 of 5 starters on IR before week 5. This year, they are magically protecting Ryan. They didn't draft anyone of note to fill the holes. It's a wait and see what Campbell can come up with.

I take comfort in the fact that it's the TE coach. Not sure why that is, but I do. I think there's a chance Lamar turns it around.

Is Ajayi designated to come back from IR or is he on the whole season one?

Good homer insight....a bad O line is tough to overcome
The question is this. Is it OL bad because of coaching?

ATL had the worlds worst line in 2014. 4 of 5 starters on IR before week 5. This year, they are magically protecting Ryan. They didn't draft anyone of note to fill the holes. It's a wait and see what Campbell can come up with.
They did make the trade with Tennessee and I think that helped quite a bit.

I take comfort in the fact that it's the TE coach. Not sure why that is, but I do. I think there's a chance Lamar turns it around.

Is Ajayi designated to come back from IR or is he on the whole season one?
Ajayi is on the designated to return.

With Campbell getting the promotion, it seems reasonable he will lean on his comfort zone. That means more Tes, more Tes blocking, more ground game, more conservative play. Now more than ever we will see what the Dolphin running game can be and who it will be. I am skeptical it is Miller.

I don't own Lamar Miller in any leagues, but feel strongly he will get more attempts in the comings weeks. Tannehill is trash in my opinion and will be a backup in two years. Philbin hitched his wagon to a guy who can't hit the deep ball yet called an overwhelming number of pass plays. Makes no sense.

I don't own Lamar Miller in any leagues, but feel strongly he will get more attempts in the comings weeks. Tannehill is trash in my opinion and will be a backup in two years. Philbin hitched his wagon to a guy who can't hit the deep ball yet called an overwhelming number of pass plays. Makes no sense.
Tannehill isn't trash. He's just been asked to do way too much and play at a level and scheme above his ability. He can be good if the right coach and scheme are in place IMO. That scheme involves a far greater emphasis on Miller and the run game.

So Philbin was telling practice squad players to take it easy on Tannehill and Tannehill is acting like an idiot towards them. It would not surprise me at this point if Philbin was having Lazor call tons of pass plays simply to appease Tannehill who thinks he's the franchise superstar.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that their defense has led to them having to pass more because they've been playing from behind so much as well. There's a lot that needs to be fixed here.

So Philbin was telling practice squad players to take it easy on Tannehill and Tannehill is acting like an idiot towards them. It would not surprise me at this point if Philbin was having Lazor call tons of pass plays simply to appease Tannehill who thinks he's the franchise superstar.
It is being blown so far out of proportion.

It's BS.

It was a Saturday walkthrough. You never go full speed...you go half speed...but the practice squad guys were going full speed. There was already so much tension around the team.

Again...utter writer BS.

Moving on from it. So ridiculous how in this age of twitter and social media, crap just goes viral. Such a horse #### yellow amateur story.

Yeah I've never known any 25 year old males to trash talk. This just wreaks of being blown out of proportion. For all we know this is common practice in the NFL.

Campbell has been working for Lazor, correct? Now he's going to tell Lazor how to call the game? Feeling doubtful. Sounds like Campbell was put in place to get the players motivated on Sundays again and remove the sore spot, not call plays or craft game strategy. If a team replaces a HC this early in the season it's on management because something has gone askew in the locker room. At any rate I'd like to trade for Miller but I don't see why anything changes in the playcalling. What does Campbell know? 4 years ago he was an intern. 2 years ago Lazor was the QB coach for Kelly who probably micromanaged everything. Philbin was screwing everything up but by far he also had the most experience. Things could actually get worse.

Tannehill isn't trash. He's just been asked to do way too much and play at a level and scheme above his ability. He can be good if the right coach and scheme are in place IMO.That scheme involves a far greater emphasis on Miller and the run game.
Just one man's opinion, but you don't draft a QB in the first round that can't hit the deep ball. It limits play calling and the defense can scheme in a smaller area of grass. Tannehill is a backup level QB and the Dolphin's are hosed with his new contract. The guy will never lead the Dolphins to the playoffs.

Al Saunders hiring as an offensive "consultant" is a positive IMO. The guy likes to run; Redskins, Chiefs, Rams, Ravens, Raiders all top 10 rush teams under him with many top 5.

Tannehill isn't trash. He's just been asked to do way too much and play at a level and scheme above his ability. He can be good if the right coach and scheme are in place IMO.That scheme involves a far greater emphasis on Miller and the run game.
Just one man's opinion, but you don't draft a QB in the first round that can't hit the deep ball. It limits play calling and the defense can scheme in a smaller area of grass. Tannehill is a backup level QB and the Dolphin's are hosed with his new contract. The guy will never lead the Dolphins to the playoffs.
I have been one of Tannehills biggest critics. I have always harped on his deep ball touch and was one of the first to point out how bad it was.

However.....this summer I went to a ton of practices that were open to the public. I watched him hit deep ball after deep ball after deep ball and in the Tannehill's upside thread posted how much improvement I have seen this summer and how excited I was to see it in action.

But I made a key disclaimer. I wanted to see it in real time, regular season NFL speed.

And here we are. But another key problem is not so much Tanny now. I think he is actually a much better QB in year 4 than his rookie year. His OL however is an abortion. He is getting happy feet already....are you seeing the punishment he is taking? He does not have time most of the snaps.....and when he get's time he is already a basket case from getting drilled all day.

David Carr disease. He needs protection. They are not giving him time to let a play develop. The OL is a massive hole and until that is solved (which it won't be this season in all likelyhood) we are screwed.

We are a dumpster fire because this front office never addressed the most important part of the offense. Your guard play. Plus we had a LT coming off a major knee injury and 2nd year tackle who seems to have regressed already from his rookie year in Juwan James.

It;s a freaking mess.

That Suh contract is so bad.....I was never a fan of the signing in the big picture. We had far too many other needs.

Guards

Cornerback

LB

But now we are hamstrung with the cap on Suh and gave Tanny a huge extension (which IMO someone else would have paid him too....trust me).

What a mess!!

Let's not lose sight of the fact that their defense has led to them having to pass more because they've been playing from behind so much as well. There's a lot that needs to be fixed here.
Really?

Let's see:

Week 1: They were down 3-0 until midway through the 2nd qtr. Miami then scored and it was a 10-7 game. In that first half, Miller had all of 3 carries. Tannehill, on the other hand, dropped back to pass 18 times. Miami ended up winning the game 17-10. Miller ended up with 13 carries, but most of them came in the 4th qtr with 7 minutes left.

Week 2: Miami never trailed by more than 7 points the entire game. Miller had all of 2 carries in the 1st qtr. And when Miami tied the game at 20-20 less than 5 minutes into the 3rd qtr, Miller saw a total of 4 carries for the rest of the game (all in the 3rd qtr). Tannehill, meanwhile, had dropped back to pass 22 times after the score was tied 20-20. Miami lost the game 23-20. 22 passes vs. 4 rushes in a tie game.

Week 3: Miami got down early to Buffalo and trailed 14-0 at the end of the 1st qtr. However, still too early to abandon the run. Miller had a grand total of THREE first half carries, two of which both went for 5 yds each. Meanwhile, Tannehill dropped back to pass 24 times. 24 passes to 3 rushes. Even down 14-0, that's absurd and has nothing to do with the defense letting them down.

Week 4: Miami finally came out and tried to establish the run with a grand total of 4 rushes in the 1st qtr. Yet despite only being down 10 pts, they abandoned the run the rest of the game. Miller had 3 carries THE REST OF THE ENTIRE GAME. Tannehill, on the other hand, finished with 44 pass attempts.

There are other teams that have gotten behind far more than the Dolphins have through the first 4 weeks. But, guess who leads the league in pass attempts with 171 through 4 weeks (43 attempts/game :lol: )? Similarly, guess which team is dead last in rushing attempts/game at 16.2? Yep, Miami.

This has NOTHING to do with the defense and everything to do with the most horrendous play calling we may have ever seen in the history of the NFL. The Cardinals are 3rd in the NFL with a 4.4 ypc average and the Dolphins are at 4.3 (tied for 9th) and yet don't run the ball? Even the Rams, who are the 3rd lowest in the NFL in rushing attempts/game are at 21 attempts/game. That's 5 fewer attempts per game lower than the 3rd lowest in the entire NFL. Many teams are almost double what Miami has done.

That's why Miami is 1-3 and why they fired the coach. It's ridiculous. The other team with a similarly skewed pass/run ratio? Detroit (41 passing attempts/game and 17 rushing/game). No wonder they are 0-4 as well. And their games were even closer than Miami's as they were in every single game they played this year.

Is Miller a buy low with the Saunders hire and the new "tough" mentality called for by Campbell?
I believe so. The only way his usage will get worse is if he is benched.He has already proven he can be effective in the NFL, he just needs the ball in his hands more often.

FWIW, his sparq score is almost identical to Clinton Portis. The athleticism is there too.

He's a dynasty steal right now. I can't see him staying with this team unless he is given the ball about 200 times going forward. His numbers suggest he draws interest and he can play all 3 downs. Really hoping the Cowboys rumor last off season was true. They can scoop him up and he will dominate behind that lien next year.

I traded for Miller last week and feel good about him going forward. I mean, he really can't do less, right?

gianmarco had a nice break down of Miller's usage. It's not really because he's struggling, though his 3.5ypc don't look great. But he hasn't really gotten many chances. 37 carries through 4 games is nuts for a team's RB1.

I traded for Miller last week and feel good about him going forward. I mean, he really can't do less, right?

gianmarco had a nice break down of Miller's usage. It's not really because he's struggling, though his 3.5ypc don't look great. But he hasn't really gotten many chances. 37 carries through 4 games is nuts for a team's RB1.
I've been holding him on my bench for the exact same reasons. I don't expect top level RB1 greatness at this point but I think RB2 days are ahead

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Campbell has been working for Lazor, correct? Now he's going to tell Lazor how to call the game? Feeling doubtful. Sounds like Campbell was put in place to get the players motivated on Sundays again and remove the sore spot, not call plays or craft game strategy. If a team replaces a HC this early in the season it's on management because something has gone askew in the locker room. At any rate I'd like to trade for Miller but I don't see why anything changes in the playcalling. What does Campbell know? 4 years ago he was an intern. 2 years ago Lazor was the QB coach for Kelly who probably micromanaged everything. Philbin was screwing everything up but by far he also had the most experience. Things could actually get worse.
You are obviously just speculating. But Campbell was placed over Lazor for a reason. I doubt it was to keep the offense from scoring points. I tend to think Campbell will use this rare opportunity to showcase his potential to be an NFL head coach. I would think he was precisely given the job to craft game strategy. I think this teams definitely leans more towards the run. Through 4 weeks that have the least amount of rushes in the NFL. That's no good.

He's faced some tough run defenses.

1. Was 32nd most FFPA/gm RBs

2. Jax 16th

3. NYJ 30th

4. BUF 26th

Upcoming he has more:

6. @Ten 22nd

7. HOU 5th

8. @NE 24th

9. @BUF 26th

10. @PHI 28th

SaintsInDome2006 said:
You are obviously just speculating. But Campbell was placed over Lazor for a reason. I doubt it was to keep the offense from scoring points. I tend to think Campbell will use this rare opportunity to showcase his potential to be an NFL head coach. I would think he was precisely given the job to craft game strategy. I think this teams definitely leans more towards the run. Through 4 weeks that have the least amount of rushes in the NFL. That's no good.
Jesus they sucked at coaching. Least # of rushes should be a team with a top 5 QB, not an at best, middle of the road ham & egger.

He's faced some tough run defenses.

1. Was 32nd most FFPA/gm RBs

2. Jax 16th

3. NYJ 30th

4. BUF 26th
Are they really tough though? Philbin did one hell of a job padding those stats. BUF is definitely good even though they gave up 108 to Ryan Mathews.

As far as upcoming, for instance, no one throws vs NE because they are usually so far behind they can only pass to catch up. Best thing TENN has faced is old man Gore. Coleman put up 80 on Philly on 10 runs.

Let's handicap Miller coming out of the bye next week.

Over / under for Lamar Miller PPR points next week at Tennessee. 11.5

Seems like a reasonable number. Not huge but certainly his best outing of the year so far.

Recent backs vs: Tennessee

Frank Gore: 21.4

Josh Robinson .8

Isaiah Crowell: 13.2

Duke Johnson: 4.3

Doug Martin: 5.4

Charles Sims: 3.5

Let's handicap Miller coming out of the bye next week.

Over / under for Lamar Miller PPR points next week at Tennessee. 11.5

Seems like a reasonable number. Not huge but certainly his best outing of the year so far.

Recent backs vs: Tennessee

Frank Gore: 21.4

Josh Robinson .8

Isaiah Crowell: 13.2

Duke Johnson: 4.3

Doug Martin: 5.4

Charles Sims: 3.5
Easy over, coming off a bye, new coach, and right now before week 5 the Titans are averaging 15.3 points a week in standard scoring to running backs.

Does the new Coach have a history of a running the ball philosophy ?
The new coach has no philosophy except being tougher mentally and physically. He's barely out of coaching school. I think Saunders is the new coach to have hope will change to a more run focused strategy. Saunders does have a long run oriented history.

Now what he does and what involvement he has, who knows. I am guessing though that in the meeting by higher ups 'run the ball a lot more' had to be on their top-3 things to do. then lo and beholld they go hire Saunders.

Curious what people's thoughts on are Miller coming out of the bye.

Buy low with a potential team turnaround amid a new coach and perhaps a greater commitment to running the ball, or is the team a hopeless dumpster fire?

Curious what people's thoughts on are Miller coming out of the bye.

Buy low with a potential team turnaround amid a new coach and perhaps a greater commitment to running the ball, or is the team a hopeless dumpster fire?
I figure he can't get much worse, right? Think he makes for a decent buy low. Could be a nice RB2/Flex down the stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread