What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (3 Viewers)

They were using gray too much in the game the first half. That one series from Miller where he scored is where most of his production/points came from.

I'm still optimistic on him tho
Maybe Campbell was using Gray since he knew Gray would be extra motivated against his old team. Sure didn't matter much obviously.

bad game from the entire Miami defense. doesn't give me a cause for alarm at all. this will be a good reminder of what they need to fix to compete in their division.
Agreed. It was like Campbell forgot about Miller. He had 3 carries on the opening drive and only saw 2 more carries the rest of the half.

Then to start the 2nd half when they had a nice drive for a TD, he saw 3 more touches including 2 carries, one of them being a TD.

The Dolphins offense functions much better through Miller than through Tannehill. I don't know why they haven't figured that out.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the FF point total, but the usage and lack of production is certainly concerning. You can't count on a goal line TD every week...

I don't think anyone is complaining about the FF point total, but the usage and lack of production is certainly concerning. You can't count on a goal line TD every week...
Good thing they dont play the Patriots every week. Unless you have better options, dont play a RB against the Patriots in Foxboro because they will be playing from behind most likely.

Not every game is going to follow the same exact script. Watch the Patriots.

Miller will be fine. I am concerned about a long stint on the injured list from RT Juwan James because Fox (mr utility backup OL on the team) is actually horrid. He is a pure turnstile.

That is concerning.

Well, they aren't going to be playing the Texans and the Titans every week either.

It's a red herring to talk about the fantasy production from the game because that isn't what owners are complaining about. They reverted back to the Philbin team quickly when they fell behind.

Your going from extreme to another. The Patriots are arguably the very best team in the NFL. The Titans and Texans probably the very worst.

This is team will be a roller coaster ride. And Miller will be fine over the course of the rest of this season IMO. I would not be sitting him unless you have truly better options that can give you explosive production that Miller is highly capable of doing most of the time. I am far more confident they will use him more often than not.

That game was pure #### show. And if your that jittery of Miller (or should I say the teams usage of him)....trade him after his next high volume productive game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not the one who brought it up, just pointing out that if you're going to caveat one bad game due to the opponent, you should probably do the same for the good ones.

I think a lot of people (myself included) got overly giddy that the coaching change made Miller a must-start the rest of the way. I'm not so sure after last night- 9 carries is a joke.

He's in over West, McFadden and Hyde.

I initially had West in but can't do it.
West is a potential top5 play this week. Your team must be loaded with Bell, Freeman, and Gurley to be sitting Miller and West. Why can't you play both?
I do have Bell as well, and yes I'm pretty loaded at RB. Bell, West, Miller, McFadden and Hyde.

I took Miller out at the last minute in favor of West. Looks like it might be the correct call, though time will tell.

I'm not the one who brought it up, just pointing out that if you're going to caveat one bad game due to the opponent, you should probably do the same for the good ones.

I think a lot of people (myself included) got overly giddy that the coaching change made Miller a must-start the rest of the way. I'm not so sure after last night- 9 carries is a joke.
I'll see what happens in a non-blowout game. The 1st half usage was weird, but the safety and INT didn't really allow the Dolphins to have many plays in the 1st half.

They ran 26 plays in the 1st half and Miller had a touch on 7 of those plays. They came out of the half and he saw 3 touches on their scoring drive including the TD.

Once they got down 29-7 early in the 4th, it was pretty much over for Miller except for a couple dump off passes.

I'll see what happens in a non-blowout game. The 1st half usage was weird, but the safety and INT didn't really allow the Dolphins to have many plays in the 1st half.

They ran 26 plays in the 1st half and Miller had a touch on 7 of those plays. They came out of the half and he saw 3 touches on their scoring drive including the TD.

Once they got down 29-7 early in the 4th, it was pretty much over for Miller except for a couple dump off passes.
Well, you can avoid a safety and INT(s) by running the ball instead, lol. Most teams when they get the ball at their own 9 yard line run it at least once.

They had the ball when the game was still within reach (down 15) late in the 3rd, but they didn't run it once and his 5th pass was picked off in their territory- game over.

Obviously this won't be the norm, but I thought the days of single digit carries were over.

Well, you can avoid a safety and INT(s) by running the ball instead, lol. Most teams when they get the ball at their own 9 yard line run it at least once.

They had the ball when the game was still within reach (down 15) late in the 3rd, but they didn't run it once and his 5th pass was picked off in their territory- game over.

Obviously this won't be the norm, but I thought the days of single digit carries were over.
Not disagreeing. I'm just not going to get too worked up about a game where they were getting blown out. I did think it was strange they go away from the run so quickly, but I'm not worried yet.

When they lost James (RT) the running game really suffered. I really hope he can come back fast. Looking for info on his injury.....Faust in 3.....2.......1....

Jason Fox is a joke. If he plays RT we are in big trouble.

When they lost James (RT) the running game really suffered. I really hope he can come back fast. Looking for info on his injury.....Faust in 3.....2.......1....

Jason Fox is a joke. If he plays RT we are in big trouble.
We are in trouble...

Ja'Wuan James - T - Dolphins
Dolphins RT Ja-Wuan James (toe) is expected to miss 4-to-6 weeks.
James suffered the injury during the first quarter of Thursday's loss to New England. Jason Fox will take over at right tackle. Miami's pathetic offensive line just got worse.

While that type of line injury is a concern, that doesn't mean I am ready to sell Lamar for peanuts just yet.

Just seems like to me they have admitted that running the ball is a big help.

Not to mention he is decent in the screen game too, so although this isn't great news, I think the Miller train is still on track.

He may have to make his hay there instead, but I think with volume he will still be a decent play going forward.

Last night seemed to get out of hand all at once.

Right when they had that 2nd and 2 near midfield and then didn't capitalize, the whole game went in the toilet immediately thereafter.

TZM

not a great matchup against bills in week 9 but in theory they shouldn't be blown out early and yeldon did have some success against them.

fins have 10 days to regroup and maybe help fox at rt?

I see a better than week 8 but not super performance.

Worried about Miller this week. Slightly less worried ROS, but still not super comfortable with him. After this week his schedule is pretty sweet to be fair.

Last game against the Jets he went 7/26 1/10. That was in London with Philben calling the shots. Last week seemed to be a bit of a throwback to those head-scratching play calls. After averaging 7+ ypc in the first half he only saw the ball twice in the second half. His snap count is trending down; last week he was in for 69% of snaps after having played 81% in the previous two weeks... and he was asked to block on 21% of them. Here's an article with some more interesting detail and a tidbit on how at least some of his usage is getting impacted:

In saying this week that Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has broad latitude to call audibles, Lazor put some of the Dolphins limited number of called runs on Tannehill.

“He [audibles] in the run game and the pass game,” Lazor said. “He turns runs into passes. When I get asked about the number of runs, the reality is that some of the passes were runs that turn into passes. I don’t want to say too much, but those are Ryan’s decisions.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article46815435.html#storylink=cpy
That snap count trend is at least partly, if not totally, due to Jay Ajayi starting to get series' to himself and splitting up the workload to some a somewhat alarming degree.

Week 10:

Lamar Miller: 55 offensive snaps, Rush: 16 - 43 - 0, Rec: 6 - 50 - 1 (8 targets)

Jay Ajayi: 12 offensive snaps, Rush: 6 - 48 - 0

Week 11:

Lamar Miller: 32 offensive snaps, Rush: 7 - 44 - 0, Rec: 2 - 11 - 0 (3 targets)

Jay Ajayi: 12 offensive snaps, Rush: 4 - 13 - 0, Rec: 2 - 23 - 0 (2 targets)

Anyone worried about the matchup and situation enough to bench him this week? On the favorable side, Revis is out and Landry probably won't be full speed perhaps giving him a boost in the receiving game. How worried are you ROS?

Worried about Miller this week. Slightly less worried ROS, but still not super comfortable with him. After this week his schedule is pretty sweet to be fair.

Last game against the Jets he went 7/26 1/10. That was in London with Philben calling the shots. Last week seemed to be a bit of a throwback to those head-scratching play calls. After averaging 7+ ypc in the first half he only saw the ball twice in the second half. His snap count is trending down; last week he was in for 69% of snaps after having played 81% in the previous two weeks... and he was asked to block on 21% of them. Here's an article with some more interesting detail and a tidbit on how at least some of his usage is getting impacted:

In saying this week that Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has broad latitude to call audibles, Lazor put some of the Dolphins limited number of called runs on Tannehill.

“He [audibles] in the run game and the pass game,” Lazor said. “He turns runs into passes. When I get asked about the number of runs, the reality is that some of the passes were runs that turn into passes. I don’t want to say too much, but those are Ryan’s decisions.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article46815435.html#storylink=cpy
Why in God's name would Lazor give this QB that kind of control over his offense?

That snap count trend is at least partly, if not totally, due to Jay Ajayi starting to get series' to himself and splitting up the workload to some a somewhat alarming degree.

Week 10:

Lamar Miller: 55 offensive snaps, Rush: 16 - 43 - 0, Rec: 6 - 50 - 1 (8 targets)

Week 11:

Anyone worried about the matchup and situation enough to bench him this week? On the favorable side, Revis is out and Landry probably won't be full speed perhaps giving him a boost in the receiving game. How worried are you ROS?
After the Jets, the schedule gets easier - Balt & NYG at home, @SD and home vs Ind.

Last week, they couldn't convert 3rd downs and Dallas had some long drives, so there were very few offensive snaps. But, when Ajayi is in, they tend to run more. Ajayi is the threat to Miller ROS. He's the future in Miami, so they need to see if he can carry the load. But as long as Miami is mathematically alive, Miller should get the majority of snaps.

Week 10:

Week 11:

After the Jets, the schedule gets easier - Balt & NYG at home, @SD and home vs Ind.

Last week, they couldn't convert 3rd downs and Dallas had some long drives, so there were very few offensive snaps. But, when Ajayi is in, they tend to run more. Ajayi is the threat to Miller ROS. He's the future in Miami, so they need to see if he can carry the load. But as long as Miami is mathematically alive, Miller should get the majority of snaps.
Won't matter if they are letting that idiot, Tannehill change the plays. He thinks he's great so he will change run plays to pass plays. Now we know why Miller only ran 7 times.

Boy, this is a hard team to watch.

In fantasy, just a MONTH ago, Miller hung 40 on me and had a couple of great weeks. I tune in yesterday, thinking of the importance of the game and how it should feature two strong suits versus one another and it was u-g-l-y.

Nothing against the Jets and their fans (and I'm not a Dolphins fan...just interested in this game) but there is something that just gets in my craw about watching Fitzmagic seemingly able to pull crap out of his butt 90% of the time. How can a guy who the football world labels as average consistently have all these oddball ff games? If a guy had a fantasy team with Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, he's probably going to win his league just because they play in so many games where they are either clawing to get back in a game or the opponent just plays right into their bear trap.

And all that would be okay if it weren't for the known that "no matter what happens in all these weeks, the Jets have zero chance of making any serious noise in the playoffs" because just when you think they are solid and coming up (like the Vikings or some team like that), they will roll out the bad side of some 38-6 game and make you feel silly for believing.

Can't wait until this guy leaves Miami. Hopefully Dallas signs him and runs him into the ground. Is it really that hard to give your best offensive player 20-25 touches a game? What are you saving him for at this point?

Can't wait until this guy leaves Miami. Hopefully Dallas signs him and runs him into the ground. Is it really that hard to give your best offensive player 20-25 touches a game? What are you saving him for at this point?
Just doesn't make sense. They started playing well after the bye when they were feeding him the ball constantly. They stop giving him the ball and they go back to playing like crap. How they haven't figured this out is beyond me.

Just doesn't make sense. They started playing well after the bye when they were feeding him the ball constantly. They stop giving him the ball and they go back to playing like crap. How they haven't figured this out is beyond me.
Normally, when teams don't run the ball much, it's because they've realized they're not very good at it.

This season, only two NFL teams in the bottom half of rush attempts are averaging more yards per rush than the NFL average. The Steelers are the first, but they lost their stud RB to injury and have Big Ben and Antonio Brown, so their ranking 22nd in rush attempts is understandable. The other would, of course, be the Dolphins, who are averaging a full half-yard more than the NFL average ... and are not only last in rush attempts, but averaging nearly 2 per game fewer than the #31 team!

Eagles fans suffered through Andy Reid's similar misuse of Westbrook and Shady for years. It's inexcusable stubbornness and you Fins fans have our sympathy.

Dallas would be good and so would Houston. Their D is getting it together son there won't be blowouts where they have to pass.

Lazor deserved the firing he received. That firing could save my season if they give the ball to Miller. They are out of contention so wasting meaningless carries and possibly getting Ajayi hurt would seem dumb as well. They have lost Miller to FA and it's their own fault. They may as well run him into the ground at this point.

As I've said before, a lot of these guys would be coaching HS football if they didn't know someone in the NFL. Lazor is one of them.

Glad I was able to grab Ajayi but also starting to regret it. I feel like this is a dumpster fire I will want to avoid. Lamar has one week but if he's going to be inconsistent with the new OC then he's on my bench and I'll go with someone else.

I'm thinking its eief a a time share or Miller gets the ball the rest of the way

Glad I was able to grab Ajayi but also starting to regret it. I feel like this is a dumpster fire I will want to avoid. Lamar has one week but if he's going to be inconsistent with the new OC then he's on my bench and I'll go with someone else.

I'm thinking its eief a a time share or Miller gets the ball the rest of the way
I had Ajayi, but dropped him this week to add Draughn. Even though I have Miller. The Dolphins RB timeshare is so hard to figure out that even if Miller were to go down, who knows if Ajayi would get more carries or if they would just let Tannehill throw every play.

Why would anyone think that the coaching staff is going to "roll with Ajayi". That's absurd.

The coaching staff is auditioning for future roles somewhere. They will play the superior player as they've done all season. Also, just because he's a free agent doesn't mean he's leaving. A new coach may come in and say "there's no way we are letting him leave". We just don't know.

Lamar has been one of the best RB's this season, and they finally have gotten rid of the weird offensive coaching staff.

Put this guy in a more traditional offense, and he could flourish.

I had Ajayi, but dropped him this week to add Draughn. Even though I have Miller. The Dolphins RB timeshare is so hard to figure out that even if Miller were to go down, who knows if Ajayi would get more carries or if they would just let Tannehill throw every play.
There hasn't been a timeshare all year. What is hard to figure out? Lamar has always been the only guy. Ajayi has 18 carries in 4 weeks and people think it's a timeshare? I don't get it.

When the new regime comes in , maybe they will feature a ground game...and maybe Miller will still be there. The signs suggest he won't though. A FA player with a bad experience and so much uncertainty on who will be doing what going forward? I couldn't blame him if he signs somewhere where things seem more certain.

Why would anyone think that the coaching staff is going to "roll with Ajayi". That's absurd.

The coaching staff is auditioning for future roles somewhere. They will play the superior player as they've done all season. Also, just because he's a free agent doesn't mean he's leaving. A new coach may come in and say "there's no way we are letting him leave". We just don't know.

Lamar has been one of the best RB's this season, and they finally have gotten rid of the weird offensive coaching staff.

The only way to prevent that is to tag him and teams don't pay big bucks for RBs unless they are CLEARLY elite these days. Also, Miller will have his say. Maybe he's seen enough or doesn't trust the uncertainty. It is far from a given that Miller will be in Miami next year.

There hasn't been a timeshare all year. What is hard to figure out? Lamar has always been the only guy. Ajayi has 18 carries in 4 weeks and people think it's a timeshare? I don't get it.
Timeshare was the wrong word to use. How about the RB debacle? Yes, Miller gets the majority of the carries, but when they only run the ball 10-12 times a game, it's a pain in the ###.

Timeshare is not an issue today. Utilization is. However, the more Miami loses, the more reason there is to give Ajayi some run because I'm sure the Dolphins, in a lost season, want to see what they have in the next man up before they make a decision on a FA and have to negotiate that salary and whether it is worth it.

Timeshare is not an issue today. Utilization is. However, the more Miami loses, the more reason there is to give Ajayi some run because I'm sure the Dolphins, in a lost season, want to see what they have in the next man up before they make a decision on a FA and have to negotiate that salary and whether it is worth it.
I'm not concerned about the rushing attempts, I'm more concerned about the targets in the passing game. What makes Lamar valuable is his contribution as a receiving back. Take that away and he's JAG tbh

The only way to prevent that is to tag him and teams don't pay big bucks for RBs unless they are CLEARLY elite these days. Also, Miller will have his say. Maybe he's seen enough or doesn't trust the uncertainty. It is far from a given that Miller will be in Miami next year.
Miller will almost certainly not be in Miami in 2016 and that might be good for him. He is good but not elite, and Miami has so many other needs at OL, LB, CB and maybe a QB of the future (2017). Cheap good RBs in 2015 are plentiful: Freeman (4th round), Ajayi (5th round), Rawls (undrafted), Ivory (undrafted), CJ (undrafted), Latavius Murray (6th round), Blount and Karlos Williams.

Miller will almost certainly not be in Miami in 2016 and that might be good for him. He is good but not elite, and Miami has so many other needs at OL, LB, CB and maybe a QB of the future (2017). Cheap good RBs in 2015 are plentiful: Freeman (4th round), Ajayi (5th round), Rawls (undrafted), Ivory (undrafted), CJ (undrafted), Latavius Murray (6th round), Blount and Karlos Williams.
Agree with this. WIth as much money as they have tied up in Tannehill and Suh, they should be easy to outbid if another team wants him. One thing Miami has going for them is the fact that Miller is a Miami guy. Maybe he gives them a hometown discount. I wouldnt if I were him. He has been misused since he got to Miami. New coaching staff...starting all over, yet again...I'd take the coin and go play for a better team. He'd be a stud in Dallas.

JAG with a career 4.7 ypc. Right.
I will agree with you that JAG is a term thrown around way too much, but 40, 50 yard rushing games aren't eye popping. I think Lamar is something special but his real fantasy value lies in his catches.When he's used correctly he has the chance to be a top back in fantasy. I was thrilled to nab him

From PFT just now..This sounds promising for the running game:

Dan Campbell: Firing Lazor was my decisionPosted by Josh Alper on November 30, 2015, 1:27 PM EST
498326728-e1448908035515.jpg
Getty ImagesDuring his appearance on PFT Live Monday, Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald said that the decision to fire offensive coordinator Bill Lazor was made by interim head coach Dan Campbell and not executive vice president for football operations Mike Tannenbaum or anyone else in the front office.

Campbell said the same thing during his Monday press conference while discussing Lazor’s departure from the team. Campbell called it 100 percent his decision and that it came after he shared his feeling with Tannenbaum and team owner Stephen Ross. Campbell pointed to the team’s lack of balance offensively — 61 called passes in Sunday’s loss to the Jets and nine runs — as the reason why he wanted to make a change.

“We have to find a way to become a more physical offense,” Campbell said, via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. “We need more of a physical presence. How ever we establish that, that’s what I’m looking for. I don’t think we scare anybody in the AFC East and that bothers me. We need to find a way, even if it is two yards and a cloud of dust. … I am a more run-oriented person. I want to be more balanced. I like a more balanced approach.”

Campbell certainly isn’t the first to point out the lack of balance on offense for the Dolphins, but, then, you’d have to be blind not to pick it up. Excluding penalties that resulted in no official play, the Dolphins have dropped back to pass more than twice as often as they’ve run the ball this season and those numbers weren’t much closer during the 2014 season under Lazor either.

New offensive coordinator Zac Taylor said Monday he’s on board and that the team will “streamline what we do” to create more balance on offense moving forward. If the results aren’t any better, the end of the season will likely bring more changes to the coaching staff in Miami.

Users who are viewing this thread