What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (3 Viewers)

Fumble means nothing imo. I put that 100% on nerves/excitement.
If he's getting nervous during the Hall of Fame Game, why do you think he won't have jitters when the games actually mean something? The fumble means nothing? Seriously? Take off the blinders, there's a bunch of red flags with Miller.
Maybe you should put a few blinders on becauseyou're going 100% in the other direction.

Do you see a future where Miller is going to have issues taking a handoff? Was that a problem for him in high school or at Miami U? Sometimes things happen - that "fumble" will mean nothing, just like I doubt anyone is thinking Miller will average over 10 yards a carry during the regular season just because he did on his two carries last night.
Fair enough. I just think a lot of people in this thread are only focusing on the two good runs he had, and then throwing out the fumble. You have to take the good with the bad. Like I posted earlier, at best Miller's value is right where it was at before the game. At worst, his value is slightly lower than before the game. To spin it like this game improved his value or proved he has what he takes to make in the NFL is fallacious imo. That said, I am perhaps the biggest Miller hater on this board, so I acknowledge I am definitely bias.

Fumble means nothing imo. I put that 100% on nerves/excitement.
If he's getting nervous during the Hall of Fame Game, why do you think he won't have jitters when the games actually mean something? The fumble means nothing? Seriously? Take off the blinders, there's a bunch of red flags with Miller.
Maybe you should put a few blinders on becauseyou're going 100% in the other direction.

Do you see a future where Miller is going to have issues taking a handoff? Was that a problem for him in high school or at Miami U? Sometimes things happen - that "fumble" will mean nothing, just like I doubt anyone is thinking Miller will average over 10 yards a carry during the regular season just because he did on his two carries last night.
Fair enough. I just think a lot of people in this thread are only focusing on the two good runs he had, and then throwing out the fumble. You have to take the good with the bad. Like I posted earlier, at best Miller's value is right where it was at before the game. At worst, his value is slightly lower than before the game. To spin it like this game improved his value or proved he has what he takes to make in the NFL is fallacious imo. That said, I am perhaps the biggest Miller hater on this board, so I acknowledge I am definitely bias.
There is nothing to take from this game really, the only thing I would take from it is that Miller was put back in the game on third down. That screams that he will be a 3 down back and Thomas or one of the other backs are only a handcuff at best.

You are right though his value shouldn't move one way or the other after this game.

I took out of this game that there are no threats to Miller's PT currently on the roster. He looks to be about as safe a bet as you can make outside the top two tiers.

If my memory is correct, Miller didn't have a fumble at all in 2012, including pre-season. Sometimes things happen. He has a history of NOT putting the ball on the ground. He wasn't a fumbler at Miami, nor his rookie year so I'm not over reacting like some are. David Wilson he isn't.

You guys are overrating one fumble. They aren't going to bench him and put in Daniel Thomas because he fumbled in the hall of game game.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Dolphins sign Benson or one of the other free agent backs and cut Thomas before the season. He is horrible

@AdamSchefter: Despite limping off field in practice, Dolphins RB Lamar Miller is fine. Carry on.

my gawd, Rotoworld must hate Dan Thomas. Every blip about him is negative.

Dolphins OC Mike Sherman said Sunday the team's running back competition is "pretty close" between Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas.
It's laughable, but perhaps the Dolphins are trying to motivate Miller by being noncommittal on the depth chart in the media. Miller has started both Miami preseason games, and racked up 27 yards on four carries (6.75 YPC). Thomas has averaged 3.0 YPC on eight runs. Perhaps Sherman's words will drive down Miller's Average Draft Position, benefiting fantasy owners. Miller is the Dolphins' best running back, and that much is not close.

DT pretty much had a 5 ypc in the preseason game and Roto is still killing him because of the HOF game.

Daniel Thomas rushed four times for 19 yards in the Dolphins' second preseason game Friday night.
On the preseason, Thomas has 24 rushing yards on eight carries (3.0 YPC) and one reception for a gain of one. He's obviously no threat to Lamar Miller and the Dolphins would be smart to consider cutting Thomas, keeping Jonas Gray and rookie Mike Gillislee behind Miller, instead.

Dolphins OC Mike Sherman said Sunday the team's running back competition is "pretty close" between Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas.
It's laughable, but perhaps the Dolphins are trying to motivate Miller by being noncommittal on the depth chart in the media. Miller has started both Miami preseason games, and racked up 27 yards on four carries (6.75 YPC). Thomas has averaged 3.0 YPC on eight runs. Perhaps Sherman's words will drive down Miller's Average Draft Position, benefiting fantasy owners. Miller is the Dolphins' best running back, and that much is not close.

DT pretty much had a 5 ypc in the preseason game and Roto is still killing him because of the HOF game.

Daniel Thomas rushed four times for 19 yards in the Dolphins' second preseason game Friday night.
On the preseason, Thomas has 24 rushing yards on eight carries (3.0 YPC) and one reception for a gain of one. He's obviously no threat to Lamar Miller and the Dolphins would be smart to consider cutting Thomas, keeping Jonas Gray and rookie Mike Gillislee behind Miller, instead.
Yeah, the commentary from Rotoworld has been pretty bad lately. They definitely have "their' guys that they pimp. Rotoworld is a good site for breaking news but their analysis is very biased.

Yeah, the commentary from Rotoworld has been pretty bad lately. They definitely have "their' guys that they pimp. Rotoworld is a good site for breaking news but their analysis is very biased.
whats their ranking on LM? I'm guessing its a little high and their protecting their own.

Have you seen Thomas run? The guy looks like he has lead feet. I'm guessing that's where the negativity comes from.

Rotoworld:

Dolphins OC Mike Sherman told reporters Sunday he wants a running back who can "do it all" and function as an every-down player.
"Yeah, we need someone who does it all," said Sherman. "You hate to just substitute, he’s this guy, he’s that guy, we want complete players back there. I’m not a believer in the third-down back necessarily, I think you tip your hand." Sherman also stated he wants his offense's "identity" to be run-based. This is all good news for Lamar Miller, assuming he beats out Daniel Thomas. (He will.)

Source: miamidolphins.com

While this is true about Rotoworld most of the time, this is a case where Rotoworld isn't making Daniel Thomas look bad, Daniel Thomas is making Daniel Thomas look bad.

http://2damnfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Al-Bundy-On-Dresses-Making-You-Fat.jpg

there are two things that concern me with lamar miller

1. the miami offensive line is abysmal.... they were bad last year and they still had jake long at LT.... combine that with what I expect to be poor QB play and I think any Miami RB is going to have a tough time. miami couldnt run the ball last year, is lamar miller by himself behind a worse o-line going to work?
  2. i dont trust the miami coaching staff to know what they are doing.... they had reggie bush last year, yet pretty much every 3rd down passing situation they trotted daniel thomas out there... and they consistently gave thomas 10 carries a game.... do you see any reason they change their approach this year to deviate from what they did last year (essentially a 60-40 timeshare)?
Reggie bush finished in the top 20 in my league... so i'd like to think lamar miller slides right in and equals his production... but if you take out the week 2 game from last year reggie bush had very poor numbers....

For what it's worth, I have to make a decision on lamar miller by friday for my keeper auction so I'd really like to be on board... but based on 2012 and the changes this off-season, I'm not sure i see the hype coming true (I have to pick between keeping miller $1, ivory $1, or russell wilson $1)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-dolphins-rb-lamar-miller-needs-to-average-40-yards-per-carry-and-stay-healthy-20130813,0,6652778.story

Let’s face it, Miller is a first- and second-down back. He usually won’t be in the game on third downs. Daniel Thomas is the third-down back. He’s a better pass blocker, receiver, and short-yardage runner.

Plus, you’d expect quarterback Ryan Tannehill to pass more frequently than a year ago with new toys such as wide receivers Mike Wallace and Brandon Gibson and tight end Dustin Keller. That’ll cut down Miller’s carries.

Beyond that, the offensive line is shaky, which also works against Miller. You’ll recall Miller was slowed by nagging injuries in college. He has to prove he’s durable enough for a 16-game NFL season as the primary ball carrier and a leaky offensive line won’t help in that regard.

Miller has the speed and moves to be an effective back in the NFL, but so do about 30 or 40 other guys. Miller has to prove he’s an effective ball carrier.

The best way to judge Miller is to look at his yards per carry, and if he’s around 4.3, and he stays healthy, it’s been a fairly productive year.
Any other Miller owners worried? :topcat:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-dolphins-rb-lamar-miller-needs-to-average-40-yards-per-carry-and-stay-healthy-20130813,0,6652778.story

Let’s face it, Miller is a first- and second-down back. He usually won’t be in the game on third downs. Daniel Thomas is the third-down back. He’s a better pass blocker, receiver, and short-yardage runner.

Plus, you’d expect quarterback Ryan Tannehill to pass more frequently than a year ago with new toys such as wide receivers Mike Wallace and Brandon Gibson and tight end Dustin Keller. That’ll cut down Miller’s carries.

Beyond that, the offensive line is shaky, which also works against Miller. You’ll recall Miller was slowed by nagging injuries in college. He has to prove he’s durable enough for a 16-game NFL season as the primary ball carrier and a leaky offensive line won’t help in that regard.

Miller has the speed and moves to be an effective back in the NFL, but so do about 30 or 40 other guys. Miller has to prove he’s an effective ball carrier.

The best way to judge Miller is to look at his yards per carry, and if he’s around 4.3, and he stays healthy, it’s been a fairly productive year.
Based on that piece? :lmao:

Who is Chris Perkins? He's some freelance writer who has a blog? First of all, I don't think Daniel Thomas is better at anything compared to Lamar Miller. He's a better receiver? Is that why he ended up with all of 15 receptions in 2012? Also, just because they have more weapons to pass to doesn't mean it'll eat into RB carries. It likely means they will be better offensively and run more plays and have more sustained drives and score more.

You can be worried about Miller if you want but I wouldn't be worried just because of what Chris Perkins wrote in his blog.

Who is Chris Perkins? He's some freelance writer who has a blog? First of all, I don't think Daniel Thomas is better at anything compared to Lamar Miller. He's a better receiver? Is that why he ended up with all of 15 receptions in 2012? Also, just because they have more weapons to pass to doesn't mean it'll eat into RB carries. It likely means they will be better offensively and run more plays and have more sustained drives and score more.

You can be worried about Miller if you want but I wouldn't be worried just because of what Chris Perkins wrote in his blog.

I don't get the article. Miami was 10th in RB points last year, with Bush/Thomas and Miller getting work. Bush is gone and there are the 2 vets and a rookie vying for carries. Maybe the fins turn into Green Bay south and chuck it all over the field this year, but I doubt it. Seems to me that Miller or Thomas stand to be beneficiaries of getting a significant chunk of an under rated run offense, and I personally haven't seen Thomas do anything to this point to make me think it will be him, but you never know. I've been grabbing both. Thomas is really cheap.

Thomas has always done well if you look at ypc during his short career. His problem was a slight injury and one fumble. The guy CAN BE the guy if given the opportunity. That's my opinion as a Dolfan. I know it's not most,

Thomas has always done well if you look at ypc during his short career. His problem was a slight injury and one fumble. The guy CAN BE the guy if given the opportunity. That's my opinion as a Dolfan. I know it's not most,
YPC is very misleading here, if you think it makes him loom serviceable. Just watch him play, he's terrible.

Chris Perkins is a long-time newspaperman here. He spent many years with the Palm Beach Post. He's also the Local ABC television station's Heat reporter. Very solid guy. I don't think he said much of anything in this post though. I think we can all agree a Thomas breakout is unlikely. It's Lamar's job now.

Huh? He has 3.6 and 3.5 ypc in his 2 seasons in the NFL. How is that doing well? He had 4 games last year with 10+ carries. His ypc those games: 3.6, 2.9, 2.8, and 2.8. That is downright horrendous. Much the same in 2011 with 5 games of his with double digit carries where he had anywhere from 2.3 to 3.3 ypc (he at least had 3 games over 4 ypc).

And I don't get the short-yardage love either. With 165 carries in 2011 he rushed for all of ZERO TDs. Again, at least he had 4 TDs last year, but still, nothing to get excited about.

As a Dolfan, I'd hope you'd know just how terrible he is. The numbers don't lie and neither does watching him play. The guy has no business as a starting RB in the NFL.

Does anyone know why there's still lip service in Miami about Thomas challenging Miller? I know sometimes coaches want their younger players to stay hungry, but come on now. Thomas pretty much sucks, but even I'd be willing to take a late flier on him if he's gonna have a real role. Honestly though, I'd rather see Gray or Gillislee lock down the #2 job.

gianmarco said:
threeputt said:
Huh? He has 3.6 and 3.5 ypc in his 2 seasons in the NFL. How is that doing well? He had 4 games last year with 10+ carries. His ypc those games: 3.6, 2.9, 2.8, and 2.8. That is downright horrendous. Much the same in 2011 with 5 games of his with double digit carries where he had anywhere from 2.3 to 3.3 ypc (he at least had 3 games over 4 ypc).

And I don't get the short-yardage love either. With 165 carries in 2011 he rushed for all of ZERO TDs. Again, at least he had 4 TDs last year, but still, nothing to get excited about.

As a Dolfan, I'd hope you'd know just how terrible he is. The numbers don't lie and neither does watching him play. The guy has no business as a starting RB in the NFL.
Yea, if they handed the ball off to him on every down, 1-3, they'd eventually score a TD and not punt. You'll think that's stupid, but it's accurate. No, it's not 4.5 yards a carry, but it doesn't blow as you suggest.

His first two games of his career he carried the ball 41 times for 202 yards. He got hurt, was out the next game or two and was never given more than his career high of 23 carries in game 2 to date. That's BS. But it's also life. The bottom line is he was never given a real chance to prove his worth. It's damn tough to come in for ten or less carry's a game and be on top of it. The guy is not nearly as bad as some of you are suggesting. More than likely you are Lamar Miller owners. I get it.

gianmarco said:
threeputt said:

Yea, if they handed the ball off to him on every down, 1-3, they'd eventually score a TD and not punt. You'll think that's stupid, but it's accurate. No, it's not 4.5 yards a carry, but it doesn't blow as you suggest.

His first two games of his career he carried the ball 41 times for 202 yards. He got hurt, was out the next game or two and was never given more than his career high of 23 carries in game 2 to date. That's BS. But it's also life. The bottom line is he was never given a real chance to prove his worth. It's damn tough to come in for ten or less carry's a game and be on top of it. The guy is not nearly as bad as some of you are suggesting. More than likely you are Lamar Miller owners. I get it.
This is a ridiculous way of looking at things. Any good RB averages over 4 yards per carry. Thomas so far has averaged 3.5 which is very poor.

It does blow, and is not accurate. Using that logic, every team would score on every drive, as every team has a guy with, at least, a 3.5 YPC.

Yea, if they handed the ball off to him on every down, 1-3, they'd eventually score a TD and not punt. You'll think that's stupid, but it's accurate. No, it's not 4.5 yards a carry, but it doesn't blow as you suggest.His first two games of his career he carried the ball 41 times for 202 yards. He got hurt, was out the next game or two and was never given more than his career high of 23 carries in game 2 to date. That's BS. But it's also life. The bottom line is he was never given a real chance to prove his worth. It's damn tough to come in for ten or less carry's a game and be on top of it. The guy is not nearly as bad as some of you are suggesting. More than likely you are Lamar Miller owners. I get it.
Yeah, I mean if you don't compare him to other players in the league, and especially on his team, his number look really good. Until you give a guy 200 carries you never really know if he's going to become faster and better at playing football. Of course this doesnt apply to every other player in the league because it would eliminate the idea that some players are actually better than others.

Yeah, I mean if you don't compare him to other players in the league, and especially on his team, his number look really good. Until you give a guy 200 carries you never really know if he's going to become faster and better at playing football. Of course this doesnt apply to every other player in the league because it would eliminate the idea that some players are actually better than others.
There is also this thing called practice. It's where the coaches have an opportunity to evaluate players with out the general public having access. It seems Thomas has been evaluated by Mia and he's just not that good in their eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread