What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Ellington - RB - Clemson. (3 Viewers)

Eminence

Footballguy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwMathEFzmQ

I like the guy a lot. He sets up his blocks very well and some of the cuts he makes at high-speed will make people miss at the NFL level. Decent hands, reminds me a bit of Chris Johnson (slower, of course).

5 ft 9

200 lbs

I can't see any way this guy slips out of the 3rd Round. I think his game has room to grow at the professional level, too. He should definitely be on the radar for a team like the Packers or Steelers.

He's someone that I think can come in and compete. Worst case scenario you end up with a decent 3rd Down - COP guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think 3- 4th round is about right for this guy. He is solid at everything that he does, but isnt an elite prospect. I do like the idea of a player like him being on the Packers - a team that doesnt need a guy to handle 20 carries every week. He would get his share of big plays on that offense.

I will tell you one thing, if I am a potential RB, and am getting weighed in, there is NO WAY I am weighing in at 199. I dont care if I have to eat 3 steaks the night before, I am pushing that weight over 200 to avoid the stigma attached to running backs under 200Lbs.

Ellington does a lot of things I like but his blocking is going to be an issue. I can see him eventually being a starter but he needs to greatly improve his blocking.

Reminds me of Dion Lewis. Solid in college but I don't see how being under 200 pound w 4.6 speed translates to he NFL. Get tackled from behind/good angles a lot.

Different type of player from Lewis. Taller and leaner.

Poor man's Chris Johnson.

Different type of player from Lewis. Taller and leaner. Poor man's Chris Johnson.
You're right, he's probably more Justin Forsett. I couldn't recall many backs this small who ran a 4.5 and was this productive in college besides Lewis. Wouldn't put Ellington in CJs league. Not close

I think he runs faster on the field than his 40 indicates. His burst is recognizable. His top-speed is limited but he flys in space.

He injured his hammy on the 40. His 10-yard split was 1.60. The same as Bernard and Davis. Probably could have hit 4.47-4.50.

Daryl Richardson with more wiggle.

EBF said:

Poverty stricken Chris Johnson is more like it. In fact, might as well be completely broke Chris Johnson because what makes CJ3 actually CJ3 is his lightning speed which Ellington doesn't possess.

EBF said:

Poverty stricken Chris Johnson is more like it. In fact, might as well be completely broke Chris Johnson because what makes CJ3 actually CJ3 is his lightning speed which Ellington doesn't possess.
Funny AND true. You just don't see too many small guys being successful for any notable period of time at RB in the NFL unless they have some uncanny speed or agility. I don't know why but I always see Leon Washington when I watch Ellington.

I'm sure his 40 time at the combine scared a lot of those who put a lot of weight on that sort of thing, but watching him play it's pretty obvious his speed isn't an issue; I'd say he's one of the quickest RBs in the draft, and quickness is more important than long speed anyway. Besides his quickness, he can cut on a dime, he has little wasted movements, does a good job of following his blockers and finding running lanes, and he actually bounces off quite a few tackles for someone his size. After Lacy and Bernard, I'd put Ellington up there with any RB in this draft, I certainly like him more than Jonathan Franklin, who most have over Ellington.

He'll probably get drafted by a team that plans to use him as a COP back that already has a bellcow, but here's hoping the Packers take him at the end of the 2nd.

From cbssports.com

The Cardinals official team website reports that the running back battle for the starting job between Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Williams and rookies Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington could be wide open. You really cant tell until the lights come on, coach Bruce Arians said. ... Until you turn the lights on, you really dont know about them. Mendenhall had his best years under Arians in Pittsburgh and now that hes had so much time to recover from his knee issues plus his one-year-need-to-prove-it contract he could be primed for a rebound season. Williams seems certain he will be effective this year, after never being certain in his knee early last season before suffering his shoulder problem. If both come through, Taylor and Ellington wont be needed. Even if they are, they have to show they are ready.

(Updated 5/14/13)

Fantasy Analysis

We envision Ellington as a key reserve for the Cardinals this year behind Mendenhall and Williams, but clearly both of those guys have had trouble staying healthy. An injury could force Taylor or Ellington into action, and he's worth keeping an eye on. Don't draft Ellington in most standard leagues, but he's worth at least a second-round pick in rookie-only formats. Unless, of course, he surprises us and wins the starting job, which would make him a mid-round pick in all standard formats.

I'm a bit intrigued by this guy. Probably more than I should be really, but in PPR he has a chance to carve out a role. If guys like Dunbar and Woodhead are getting rostered, why not?

Eminence said:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000244693/Ellington-36-yard-TD-reception

Damn, Ellington making it look easy. Would love to see the Birds feature this guy more in the passing game.
Ellington was wide open; great play design and call. I was more intrigued that Ellington was contributing with the game on the line late in the fourth quarter with the Cards trailing, and he delivered with a 16-yard scamper to help set up the come-from-behind victory. While Ellington may never develop into an every-down NFL back, I agree that he has a chance to be a decent PPR role player.

He ended up in a pretty ideal spot, a pass happy team with little RB competition. Definitely look forward to see how he does with increasing opportunity.

Palmer needs a dumpoff guy, Mendy's not that and no real TE for now (until Houser gets well and he gets used anyway...).

They should give him more time.

Yeah, traded up in my dynasty league to snag this guy in the 4th round as he was still sitting there and I loved what I saw on his Clemson tape. I didn't expect him to make an impact this quick, but I think the Cards are crazy not to give him more touches. He's definitely the most talented and explosive guy in the Cards backfield. Not the every down guy but could definitely play a Darren Sproles type role with probably very good effectiveness.

For those that are more familiar with the cards rb situation if mendy were to go down would smith or ellington take over or 50 50 split

For those that are more familiar with the cards rb situation if mendy were to go down would smith or ellington take over or 50 50 split
Smith is just a stopgap while the rooks get up to speed. If either of the rooks are in the long term plans they will get the bump. Obviously, Ellington is ahead of Taylor right now.

Smith is just a stopgap while the rooks get up to speed. If either of the rooks are in the long term plans they will get the bump. Obviously, Ellington is ahead of Taylor right now.
Ellington and Taylor play different roles. Ellington is not likely to get much between-the tackles type of work.

Ellington and Taylor play different roles. Ellington is not likely to get much between-the tackles type of work.
Agreed, but if something were to happen to Mendenhall I would expect two things to happen

#1 Ellington's snaps go up, they call more Ellington friendly formations

#2 Taylor replaces Mendenhall in those packages, they just use that package less often

Instead of it being 2:1 Mendenhall:Ellington it'll be more like 60:40 Ellington:Taylor except in wins in which Taylor is used to bleed the clock.

FWIW, Bruce Arians was quoted as saying that he "doesn't see Ellington as a 3rd down back" and that he "can see him as a back who can carry the load"

I've liked this kid for a while. In college, he displayed some fantastic balance to avoid going down as well as great ability as a receiver.

Hard to think of a higher upside RB on the waiver wire in my league. Ellington has the talent to take over here, would have gone higher if he went to a school that leaned on him in the running game.

This is going to go under the radar due to the TRich move, but while everyone is worrying about Oby and McGahee, I think it's time to grab Ellington..

Rashard Mendenhall (toe) did not practice Wednesday.
It's a new injury for Mendenhall; he battled hamstring and knee issues the first two weeks of the season. He was limited to riding the stationary bike on the sidelines Wednesday. Mendenhall's status is up in the air for Sunday.

This is going to go under the radar due to the TRich move, but while everyone is worrying about Oby and McGahee, I think it's time to grab Ellington..

It's a new injury for Mendenhall; he battled hamstring and knee issues the first two weeks of the season. He was limited to riding the stationary bike on the sidelines Wednesday. Mendenhall's status is up in the air for Sunday.
haha...I was just about to drop ellington for mcgahee --- I don't know whether to thank you or curse you

haha...I was just about to drop ellington for mcgahee --- I don't know whether to thank you or curse you
..and I'm debating dropping McGahee for Ellington right now. My head..is on the verge of exploding.

Could be just the in the kid needs...

I'd rather have McGahee than Ellington. McGahee has the starting role waiting for him, and a Mendy sore toe isn't the same as him being IR. Plus Ellington's schedule is brutal.

Ellington goes down on first contact too often, lacks the size to be an effective blocker, and while he has good vision to find lanes of traffic, I cannot imagine Ellington being used much as an inside runner even if Mendenhall misses time, with Stepfan Taylor sitting on the bench.

All of that said, I am a big fan of Ellington. I think he is a quality back who can excel in a receiving back role, and I was very encouraged to see the Cards putting Ellington in the game in the fourth quarter.

FWIW on the radio today they were talking about Ellington having a much bigger role in the passing game this week if Fitz is out.

I am not grabbing Ellington but if you need a warm body you could do a lot worse. He is the guy that has emerged as the #2 over Taylor and Williams.

In a thin time for RB on waivers at the moment, he looks as good a flier as any. It's not inconceivable that his role will continue to grow, even if Mendenhall stays on the field.

In a thin time for RB on waivers at the moment, he looks as good a flier as any. It's not inconceivable that his role will continue to grow, even if Mendenhall stays on the field.
He's a rookie with positive buzz after week 2. Mendy is nothing special at all. All he needs to do is keep making plays. Added him in every league I'm in where he was available this week.

Well stated. In fact, I think Ellington's role is likely to grow.

Users who are viewing this thread