What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Ellington - RB - Clemson. (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Andre Ellington - RB - Cardinals

Andre Ellington has resumed making "all" cuts after playing through a foot injury in 2014.

Ellington is rehabbing from foot and hip injuries, in addition to sports hernia surgery. It's not an exaggeration to say his body fell apart in 2014 when tasked with a 20-plus touch-per-game workload. "It's like night and day," Ellington said of the way he feels now. "During the season I was limited on some cuts going to the right, pushing off my left foot. I'm close to doing a lot of things I've done in the past. Just (this week) I was able to do all my cuts and put a lot more pressure on my foot." Ellington's 2015 workload will be challenged by rookie David Johnson.

Source: Arizona Republic

May 10 - 4:57 PM

if you could get 15 touches per game out of ellington for the whole season sign me up (given how low he is ranked on some people's RB boards). competent QB play should help things as well

if you could get 15 touches per game out of ellington for the whole season sign me up (given how low he is ranked on some people's RB boards). competent QB play should help things as well
Hard for me to believe that a HEALTHY Ellington doesn't average 12 carries and 4 catches a game. I'm not going to predict injuries in yearly projects, but he should probably be handicapped in dynasty by them a small bit.

Rotoworld:

Andre Ellington has reportedly looked 100 percent during Cardinals OTAs.

Per beat writer Mike Jurecki, Ellington is "showing his elusive quickness in the OTA workouts." Ellington flopped as Arizona's feature back last season -- he averaged an alarmingly poor 3.28 yards per carry -- though his proponents believe the ineffectiveness can be blamed on myriad injuries. Ellington will try to hold off athletic phenom David Johnson for lead-back snaps this season.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter
Jun 8 - 4:06 PM

Rotoworld:

The Cardinals' official site says Andre Ellington "remains the linchpin" at the running back position.

Ellington is healthy and will head to camp as the first-string running back. But he's coming off a 3.28 YPC season and the Cardinals used the No. 86 overall pick on a player with a similar skill set in David Johnson. Expect Ellington to hold off Johnson for lead back duties, but he won't come close to the volume he saw last year (20.5 touches per game).

Related: David Johnson

Source: azcardinals.com
Jun 15 - 7:58 AM

I really like the value and potential here. He is gong as about the 22nd RB in non PPR. As "bad" as he was last year and despite missing 4 games, he was RB20. If you think he can be equal or even better to that, then he is a good pick. He was 15th in ppg which was better than guys like McCoy and Morris. If he and Palmer can stay healthy, I think we could get a nice blend of 2013 and 2014 in terms of workload and production. I think he if healthy goes over 1500 yards and scores 6-8 times.

I cant seem to pull the trigger on him in dynasty startups, could be a wasted pick with david Johnson lurking.....

I cant seem to pull the trigger on him in dynasty startups, could be a wasted pick with david Johnson lurking.....
I don't like him in dynasty. He does seem injury prone, Johnson is lurking, and no clue how much tread Palmer has left to keep that offense rolling. I do think he's a worthwhile gamble in standard redraft in the late 4th or early 5th.

Interesting to read how much Ellington backlash has come into this forum because of last year. 12 months ago, he was coming off a >5.0 ypc and everyone was touting him. Did a lot of owners get burned? Now no one wants to pull the trigger and his ADP keeps dropping.

Surely, he can't have become so much worse overnight. He would still get a ton of catches and gain a lot of yards on those. David Johnson doesn't seem like the type of runner to dominate this backfield either. Ellington will benefit from the reduced workload and is still a great bet to yield you mid-to-high RB2 PPR numbers.

Interesting to read how much Ellington backlash has come into this forum because of last year. 12 months ago, he was coming off a >5.0 ypc and everyone was touting him. Did a lot of owners get burned? Now no one wants to pull the trigger and his ADP keeps dropping.

Surely, he can't have become so much worse overnight. He would still get a ton of catches and gain a lot of yards on those. David Johnson doesn't seem like the type of runner to dominate this backfield either. Ellington will benefit from the reduced workload and is still a great bet to yield you mid-to-high RB2 PPR numbers.
Ellington was never healthy last year. Remember he hurt his foot before the season started and some speculated it could cost him a significant amount of time. Instead, he played hurt through almost all of the season before the week 14 hip pointer shut him down. Granted, injuries are concern for him. However, I think his dip in performance has to be viewed in light of the injuries. Despite the injuries and poor performance, he still outperformed where he is currently being drafted. If he stays healthy and Palmer stays healthy, he is going to be a big value. Last year, in non ppr, Ellington played 6 games with Palmer at QB and put up these numbers: 397 rushing, 197 receiving and 3 TDs. All of this was with a bad foot.

I don't like him in dynasty. He does seem injury prone, Johnson is lurking, and no clue how much tread Palmer has left to keep that offense rolling. I do think he's a worthwhile gamble in standard redraft in the late 4th or early 5th.
I agree that the injury concerns are going to limit his career in dynasty, however I don't think Johnson is the guy he is going to lose the job to.

Ellington was never healthy last year. Remember he hurt his foot before the season started and some speculated it could cost him a significant amount of time. Instead, he played hurt through almost all of the season before the week 14 hip pointer shut him down. Granted, injuries are concern for him. However, I think his dip in performance has to be viewed in light of the injuries. Despite the injuries and poor performance, he still outperformed where he is currently being drafted. If he stays healthy and Palmer stays healthy, he is going to be a big value. Last year, in non ppr, Ellington played 6 games with Palmer at QB and put up these numbers: 397 rushing, 197 receiving and 3 TDs. All of this was with a bad foot.
:goodposting:

Ellington finished as RB19 in PPR and RB20 in standard, never scored less than 10 fantasy points (except the last game where he left in the 1st half) and posted RB1 numbers 5 times. All having played in only 12 games on a partially torn tendon in his foot, an injury he sustained in training camp, and 6 without the benefit of starting QB Carson Palmer.

Yes his small frame and injury history are a concern. But this why I feel Johnson adds to Ellington's value rather than subtracting from it. Less touches will actually make Ellington more efficient.

Good luck with that, as his ADP in MFL 10s is at pick 36, right at the end of the 3rd. And in the majority of leagues he gone by the mid to early 4th. That said, I still tend to think he's good value where he's going.

Good luck with that, as his ADP in MFL 10s is at pick 36, right at the end of the 3rd. And in the majority of leagues he gone by the mid to early 4th. That said, I still tend to think he's good value where he's going.
I'm basing it on adp I am seeing in some non PPR. 5th Round is probably too optimistic though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the value and potential here. He is gong as about the 22nd RB in non PPR. As "bad" as he was last year and despite missing 4 games, he was RB20. If you think he can be equal or even better to that, then he is a good pick. He was 15th in ppg which was better than guys like McCoy and Morris. If he and Palmer can stay healthy, I think we could get a nice blend of 2013 and 2014 in terms of workload and production. I think he if healthy goes over 1500 yards and scores 6-8 times.
:no:

Any thoughts beyond what a magic 8ball could provide?

Rotoworld:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Sunday he envisions Andre Ellington handling 20 touches per game this season.

Arians emphasized that Ellington's touches will involve receptions, and not just carries. Ellington handled over 22 touches per game last season, but averaged an anemic 3.3 yards per carry and broke down physically, ending the year on injured reserve. The Cardinals are miscasting Ellington as a true feature back. Rookie David Johnson will make his case for a backfield role in preseason games. Johnson is essentially a bigger, more athletic version of Ellington with arguably even more-dynamic pass-catching ability.

Aug 2 - 2:48 PM

Rotoworld:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Sunday he envisions Andre Ellington handling 20 touches per game this season.

Arians emphasized that Ellington's touches will involve receptions, and not just carries. Ellington handled over 22 touches per game last season, but averaged an anemic 3.3 yards per carry and broke down physically, ending the year on injured reserve. The Cardinals are miscasting Ellington as a true feature back. Rookie David Johnson will make his case for a backfield role in preseason games. Johnson is essentially a bigger, more athletic version of Ellington with arguably even more-dynamic pass-catching ability.

Money in the bank!!!

He said "if healthy". Last year he wasn't healthy and was over 1000 yards and 5 scores in only 12 games without Palmer in half of them. What exactly do you object to?

He said "if healthy". Last year he wasn't healthy and was over 1000 yards and 5 scores in only 12 games without Palmer in half of them. What exactly do you object to?
He objects to objectivity.

Obviously.

Ellington is not a Seahawk.

This latest Rotoworld blurb breaks the scale of bias. It's sad to watch how a once excellent news outlet has descended into promoting the FF interests of whichever random writer is writing the 'analysis'...and I think this all started when it was bought by NBC. Yuck...I have long moved to getting my news from the FBG news ticker. At least I get random different biases there.

On this one, Arians says Ellington will get 20 touches, with a particular emphasis on receptions. Somehow, the writer - most likely a David Johnson owner, suffering from rookie fever? - manages to interpret this as: "You see, Ellington had a low ypc last year, and he broke down, and the Cardinals are totally incompetent to think of him as a lead back, and it's David Johnson that is really the stud here and he so much bigger and better than Ellington."

Huh? Johnson hasn't played a down in the NFL. His head coach seems determined to feature Ellington in a receiving role, not him. The proper analysis here is something like "If he manages to stay health, Ellington might represent a real steal in PPR simply because of receiving volume."

I love Johnson, but besides his ability, the other thing I like is I believe Ellington is just a guy. Maybe one of the worst starting RBs in the league. I'm higher on Johnson in dynasty leagues because I can see Arians going with Ellington to start the season.

Redraft is a bit of a gamble due to not knowing when Johnson will overtake Ellington. Could happen early, though.

This latest Rotoworld blurb breaks the scale of bias. It's sad to watch how a once excellent news outlet has descended into promoting the FF interests of whichever random writer is writing the 'analysis'...and I think this all started when it was bought by NBC. Yuck...I have long moved to getting my news from the FBG news ticker. At least I get random different biases there.

On this one, Arians says Ellington will get 20 touches, with a particular emphasis on receptions. Somehow, the writer - most likely a David Johnson owner, suffering from rookie fever? - manages to interpret this as: "You see, Ellington had a low ypc last year, and he broke down, and the Cardinals are totally incompetent to think of him as a lead back, and it's David Johnson that is really the stud here and he so much bigger and better than Ellington."

Huh? Johnson hasn't played a down in the NFL. His head coach seems determined to feature Ellington in a receiving role, not him. The proper analysis here is something like "If he manages to stay health, Ellington might represent a real steal in PPR simply because of receiving volume."
Well, one can hope all other league owners are reading/buying the Rotowire "analysis," and adjust accordingly. Could be a gift, actually. Not sure on Ellington, but generally speaking.

Rotoworld:

These Rotoworld messages are infuriatingly bad. Please stop posting them.

Rotoworld:

How about you just ignore them?

I am not sure I get the Roto hate in here. Do people really think it is a stretch to suggest that Ellington may be miscast as a true feature back? I think he is fun to watch and incredibly dangerous with the ball in his hands and I also think he is probably a good value in redrafts right now. But IMO if he is going to live up to punishment of 20+ touches/game he will probably have to average about 8 catches/game (extraordinarily unlikely, I know) because I get nervous that he will maintain his effectiveness if he has to carry the ball more than 12 times per game.

His end of season numbers last year were fine if you drafted him in the 7th round (or later) but they were a big disappointment for where he was typically drafted (4.02 in my 12 team league).

According to this MFL ADP since July 15 Andre Ellington is being drafted as the 52nd overall player with an ADP of pick 58 or 59 which is pick 4.08 or 4.09 in a 12 team league.

Rotoworld:

Andre Ellington is dealing with a "tight" hamstring.

It's obviously not a major issue, but a reminder of Ellington's fragility, and the absurdity of coach Bruce Arians' claim that Ellington will handle 20 weekly touches this season. Ellington simply isn't durable enough to be a full-time back, and the sooner the Cardinals realize as such, the better.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter
Aug 3 - 2:16 PM

Rotoworld:

By now everyone knows Rotoworld has it's agendas/bias within the blurbs they post - but the news is still worth reading and discussing. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Rotoworld:

It's obviously not a major issue, but a reminder of Ellington's fragility, and the absurdity of coach Bruce Arians' claim that Ellington will handle 20 weekly touches this season. Ellington simply isn't durable enough to be a full-time back, and the sooner the Cardinals realize as such, the better.

Lol he's already hurt?

I am not sure I get the Roto hate in here. Do people really think it is a stretch to suggest that Ellington may be miscast as a true feature back? I think he is fun to watch and incredibly dangerous with the ball in his hands and I also think he is probably a good value in redrafts right now. But IMO if he is going to live up to punishment of 20+ touches/game he will probably have to average about 8 catches/game (extraordinarily unlikely, I know) because I get nervous that he will maintain his effectiveness if he has to carry the ball more than 12 times per game.

His end of season numbers last year were fine if you drafted him in the 7th round (or later) but they were a big disappointment for where he was typically drafted (4.02 in my 12 team league).
Agree.

Sometimes you just see these guys and you KNOW (or feel strongly convinced) that it simply isn't going to all go as planned for this guy. Ellington is one of those guys.

He reminds me of another guy that I just could never get on board with and trust and draft as high as his average suggested-CJ Spiller.

Ellington is one of these guys that you can totally see being a dynamic FF difference-making guy...but not on this team, not the way he is used, not in the traditional roles of what people expect. He needs to be on a really good team that features him in space. He needs to be Darren Sproles in New Orleans 3 years ago. But he's not and so you can't get the FF production you want because they will never run him enough to keep him consistent and if they do, he might not hold up.

But in the right place at the right time, he could be great...like Spiller in New Orelans this year. I finally believe he is going to have a nice season for once but its not about talent, etc, its about the opportunity and the talent around him.

Rotoworld:

Lol he's already hurt?
As is David Johnson.

"ARI - David Johnson injured - Mon Aug 3, 02:16 PM

Arizona Cardinals RB David Johnson (hamstring) is considered day-to-day with a hamstring injury.

Footballguys view: Johnson is not a burner, but he does have great short-area quickness. This hamstring injury should slow him down for a few days. No word on the severity of the injury."

Shark move = Stepfan Taylor (j/k)

Agree.

Sometimes you just see these guys and you KNOW (or feel strongly convinced) that it simply isn't going to all go as planned for this guy. Ellington is one of those guys.

He reminds me of another guy that I just could never get on board with and trust and draft as high as his average suggested-CJ Spiller.

Ellington is one of these guys that you can totally see being a dynamic FF difference-making guy...but not on this team, not the way he is used, not in the traditional roles of what people expect. He needs to be on a really good team that features him in space. He needs to be Darren Sproles in New Orleans 3 years ago. But he's not and so you can't get the FF production you want because they will never run him enough to keep him consistent and if they do, he might not hold up.

But in the right place at the right time, he could be great...like Spiller in New Orelans this year. I finally believe he is going to have a nice season for once but its not about talent, etc, its about the opportunity and the talent around him.
Mostly agree though I was high on Spiller 2 summers ago. Ironically these two were quite a tandem at Clemson.

I do think Ellington could offer some relative value at his current ADP but I don't think he's a true feature RB and his production/durability will ultimately suffer if AZ continues efforts to use him as one.

I beg to differ, kind sir... The RW biases are plain sad and obvious. The reported news was "Arians to give Ellington 20 touches". How do you get from that specific piece of news to the analytical conclusion that was published? Let's leave aside the post's absurd tone of "Arians / the Cardinals are idiots and I obviously know better, so I am going to write the exact opposite of their stated view".

For the record, I don't think Ellington will handle more than 10 carries and 5 receptions, though I expect him to be quite productive with those few touches.

What part of his statement is untrue?

Rookie David Johnson will make his case for a backfield role in preseason games. Johnson is essentially a bigger, more athletic version of Ellington with arguably even more-dynamic pass-catching ability.
Johnson is clearly bigger.

He is more athletic, by whatever objective measurable you want to use.

As a former WR, he is arguably a better receiver.

Agreed. David Johnson is just unproven. Where as Ellington has proven he can excel if you limit his touches.

I beg to differ, kind sir... The RW biases are plain sad and obvious. The reported news was "Arians to give Ellington 20 touches". How do you get from that specific piece of news to the analytical conclusion that was published? Let's leave aside the post's absurd tone of "Arians / the Cardinals are idiots and I obviously know better, so I am going to write the exact opposite of their stated view".

For the record, I don't think Ellington will handle more than 10 carries and 5 receptions, though I expect him to be quite productive with those few touches.
So you agree with their conclusion that Ellington won't get 20 touches but you think they are biased?

What is so wrong with saying that Ellington's 3.3 ypc was "anemic", he is miscast as a feature back (something it sounds like you may agree with) and that David Johnson will make a case for more touches? That all seems pretty spot on.

Is it that you just don't like their tone? I agree, they should be more professional but I don't think the conclusions are outrageous at all.

What is so wrong with saying that Ellington's 3.3 ypc was "anemic", he is miscast as a feature back (something it sounds like you may agree with) and that David Johnson will make a case for more touches? That all seems pretty spot on.

Is it that you just don't like their tone? I agree, they should be more professional but I don't think the conclusions are outrageous at all.
It's that this is a particularly egregious example of something I've also seen here at FBGs. They get locked into their particular analysis to the point of copy-pasting it in whether the specific news in question supports or contradicts the conclusion.Roto is highly invested, it appears, in its prediction that Ellington will be displaced by Johnson. To stand by that is fine, but to attach that to a news item the content of which points in the exact opposite direction SHOULD be accompanied by some kind of acknowledgement thereof.

If, for instance, they had said "Despite this statement from Arians, we aren't convinced that Ellington will hold up to such a heavy workload. Johnson is bigger, more athletic and better able to survive the workload Arians invisions" I doubt we'd be having this side conversation at all. When they don't even notice that the news contradicts their conclusion, they look like they are either sloppy or highly arrogant.

It's that this is a particularly egregious example of something I've also seen here at FBGs. They get locked into their particular analysis to the point of copy-pasting it in whether the specific news in question supports or contradicts the conclusion.Roto is highly invested, it appears, in its prediction that Ellington will be displaced by Johnson. To stand by that is fine, but to attach that to a news item the content of which points in the exact opposite direction SHOULD be accompanied by some kind of acknowledgement thereof.

If, for instance, they had said "Despite this statement from Arians, we aren't convinced that Ellington will hold up to such a heavy workload. Johnson is bigger, more athletic and better able to survive the workload Arians invisions" I doubt we'd be having this side conversation at all. When they don't even notice that the news contradicts their conclusion, they look like they are either sloppy or highly arrogant.
Again, so what? Where is the benefit in being locked into a position of a player? Do they make more money somehow?

I honestly think their opinion, which is how it is presented, is pretty much echoed by the vast majority of people who saw that report. I know I agree with it (although I am not sold on Johnson but he's there only other real option).

So you agree with their conclusion that Ellington won't get 20 touches but you think they are biased?

I think Arodin has captured the argument well. It is not about whether you believe RW is correct about Ellington - that is subjective. It's also not about whether RW should stand by their analysis or somehow adapt it based on the news - this is also subjective.

It's about reporting news and then blindly dumping on top a standard and strong bias - even if it directly contradicts the reported news. That type of post would be immediately called out even on this boards, no? So I am surprised that RW's standards have fallen so much in the last 5 years.

Also, very pragmatically, I suspect this type of blind favoritism actually costs clicks. Already last season I was tired of reading the same 'analysis' without regard for actual content, and moved to the FBG RSS feed where the actual news stand out a lot more. I know quite a few leaguemates in different leagues who have done the same. From RW's perspective, probably a drop in the ocean compared to the mass in-season audiences, but still a trend that can cost you in June and July.

Agreed. David Johnson is just unproven. Where as Ellington has proven he can excel if you limit his touches.
That is not proven. Ellington hurt his foot before the season started last year. We have never seen a healthy Ellington been given a full workload.

I think Arodin has captured the argument well. It is not about whether you believe RW is correct about Ellington - that is subjective. It's also not about whether RW should stand by their analysis or somehow adapt it based on the news - this is also subjective.

It's about reporting news and then blindly dumping on top a standard and strong bias - even if it directly contradicts the reported news. That type of post would be immediately called out even on this boards, no? So I am surprised that RW's standards have fallen so much in the last 5 years.

Also, very pragmatically, I suspect this type of blind favoritism actually costs clicks. Already last season I was tired of reading the same 'analysis' without regard for actual content, and moved to the FBG RSS feed where the actual news stand out a lot more. I know quite a few leaguemates in different leagues who have done the same. From RW's perspective, probably a drop in the ocean compared to the mass in-season audiences, but still a trend that can cost you in June and July.
I believe that is likely.

I know, for myself, my clicks on Roto are much less. I still use them for being solid on getting injury or changing news out there quickly with a source but I stopped long ago diving deeper into their posts or looking at additional info.

Rotoworld:

Andre Ellington (hamstring) returned to Cardinals practice Monday.

He missed a little less than a week. Based on its algorithm, the Sports Injury Predictor has pegged Ellington as this year's NFL running back most likely to get injured. You can get more data from the Sports Injury Predictor inside the Rotoworld Fantasy Football Draft Guide, accessible at the link below.

Source: Rotoworld Fantasy Draft Guide
Aug 10 - 4:40 PM

Although I read RW for the news and not so much for their spin on the news, I think it's strange that anyone rag on Ellington for his ypc last year. They totally disregard his 5.5 ypc as a rookie, his suspect line and the fact that he entered last year with an injury many players might not have played through, yet still put up 5 RB1 weeks, an RB2 season and RB1 FPG in 12 games in PPR.

Pontificate on his size and ability to stay healthy as a workhorse...fine, but please stop whining about his ypc.

How about he had nearly 4 catches a game and that hid his anemic 3.3 ypc.

It's pretty obvious he's a great 3rd down/change of pace RB but not 3 down rb.

Users who are viewing this thread