What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Ellington - RB - Clemson. (3 Viewers)

@SharpFootball: Don't care who gets carries in ARI,

MUST improve 1st & 2nd dwn run gm:

3.2 ypc (32nd) in '14 on 1/2 dwn

3.4 ypc (32nd) '12-'14

NFL avg =4.2

Rotoworld:

The Cardinals' website still expects Andre Ellington to open the year as the team's No. 1 back.

Coach Bruce Arians has opined recent signee Chris Johnson could earn No. 1 duties, but he's likely just trying to light a fire under Ellington, and perhaps third-rounder David Johnson. Although he may be the "starter," Ellington will almost certainly be utilized as a committee back. Arians is stubborn, but we can't imagine a repeat of 2014, where he was repeatedly and fruitlessly slammed into brick walls.

Related: Chris Johnson, David Johnson

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter
Aug 18 - 4:25 PM

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians says Chris Johnson hasn't been promised a roster spot, and that his role will be determined by how he fares in the preseason.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians says Chris Johnson hasn't been promised a roster spot, and that his role will be determined by how he fares in the preseason.
Polian said on NFLR that he could see them releasing him right before the regular season, then resigning him after game 1. They won't have to guarantee him the whole year's salary.

Rotoworld:

Andre Ellington - RB - Cardinals

Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin acknowledges that Andre Ellington will start Sunday's opener, but says touches between Ellington, Chris Johnson and David Johnson will depend on game flow.

Goodwin says he feels "pretty good" about his running back trio. "As long as we can open holes, we’ve got some potential to get some home runs in there." Ellington should get an opportunity to establish the hot hand, but coach Bruce Arians sounds like he won't hesitate to go to the Johnsons if Ellington is running into brick walls the way he did in 2014. Ellington is the only viable re-draft play for Week 1, but that could change for Week 2. We have Chris ranked ahead of David for Sunday.

Related: Chris Johnson, David Johnson

Source: azcardinals.com

Sep 10 - 8:15 PM

I drafted Ellington and David Johnson, so hopefully I've got RB2 solidified between those 2 guys. Chris Johnson is toast.
Tried to do the same in as many leagues as I could. Lets just hope one takes the job and holds on to it. AA split wouldn't do us much good. We should get to see plenty of action this week if the Saints D lives up to last years standards.

Ugh, I'm back on this wagon again. Let's hope THIS is the year it comes together for him.
Got Andre in 2/4 leagues.

I was targeting him in almost every league, figuring how I would be drafting and the slots I was primed for.

He was one of my "go to" guys in drafts, after what I saw last year.

He was never really healthy or so it seemed, and I remember the rampant speculation that he wouldn't even play week 1 or 2 last year after his foot injury.

Its gotten to the point when I hear analysts talk about him, its like a broken record of "he can't be a full time back, he just isn't built for it/he will break down with heavy usage."

But that sounds like a load of recency bias bull#### if you ask me.

Every year people tout this or that guy, or that guy with "I'm high on this guy, or that guy's scenario, his probable workload" etc. etc.

Without regard to prior injuries etc. etc.

Is this a health related scenario much different than DeMarco Murray's was last year? I don't think so.

(I'm not talking about the O Line differences, strictly health...in fact if you look at it that way how could anyone EVER want to draft Murray for that matter)

The fact of the matter is, we can't really say for sure if he is a full load bearing guy or not, simply because he was injured right out of the gates last year.

I look at it as just the opposite actually. He started off injured, and yet he took the field week after week, never shying away from carries and catches, and they used him a ton. Arians didn't back off people, its that simple.

And guess what, thats exactly what I look for when I draft my running backs, especially these "RB2-ish" guys. Talent, and the possibility of a large workload.

The Cards and coaching can say all they want, but last year they certainly didn't seem to mind the heavy workloads, and you have to believe its AT LEAST a possibility yet again, and because he is actually more healthy this year. How can you not look at him in a better light?

Ellington played weeks 2,3,5,11 and 12 with some of the worst QBs I have seen, at least they were among the worst last year.

AND- In weeks 11 and 12 he faced Detroit and Seattle, 2 of the better defenses.

So lets get this straight, he started the season off unhealthy, almost half of the games he played in he had atrocious QB play, and in 2 of those he played very tough defenses.

I'm not saying the guy is the best fantasy back at the end of the season...... but I personally drafted him as an RB2, and I have no problem mixing and matching him with another few backs and I expect solid RB2 numbers, and possibly more IF he can stay healthy.

Of course I have some injury concerns, just as I do with ALL the guys I draft. I would have never thought to draft him without a handcuff, so I drafted David Johnson in both spots I got Ellington.

(Chris Johnson was signed late in camp, while David Johnson was hurt, so I personally took it as a depth signing)

I am very stoked to have him where I got him as my RB2, and it wouldn't shock me at all for him to give RB1 numbers many weeks.

Will it all work out???

As with everything each year in fantasy , you never know.

But this is one scenario where I definitely don't mind gambling on high upside.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I own Ellington in my dynasty league. I wish I didn't. He's not as good as advertised. Or better said: bruce Arians doesn't know how to use him effectively and play to his strengths.

Ellington is not and never will be a pile-pushing RB. He's finesse. He needs to bounce it outside. Catch passes in the flat and on screens. Split out wide like soon Lewis did Thursday night. Then you'll get a ton of production from him.

I've watched enough of him to make that determination.

Add to that the drafting of David Johnson, who I hear is a bigger back, and the writing is on the all guys. If Ellington falters at all this season he will be on a short leash as the feature back. My guess is that by mid-season he'll be mired in an RBBC with Johnson. Relegated back o his 10-15 touches per game and spotty production behind a bad run blocking o line.

I hope not but I'm just looking objectively at him.

I own Ellington in my dynasty league. I wish I didn't. He's not as good as advertised. Or better said: bruce Arians doesn't know how to use him effectively and play to his strengths.

Ellington is not and never will be a pile-pushing RB. He's finesse. He needs to bounce it outside. Catch passes in the flat and on screens. Split out wide like soon Lewis did Thursday night. Then you'll get a ton of production from him.

Add to that the drafting of David Johnson, who I hear is a bigger back, and the writing is on the all guys. If Ellington falters at all this season he will be on a short leash as the feature back. My guess is that by mid-season he'll be mired in an RBBC with Johnson. Relegated back o his 10-15 touches per game and spotty production behind a bad run blocking o line.

The viewpoint is appreciated. ;)

I have to ask though, did you anticipate getting Ellington and using him as an "RB1"?

I personally thought when I drafted him last year,...... well point blank, I knew then that he wasn't big enough to be that pile mover that you mention.

Lets face it, there are bigger backs, and then there are other smaller type backs.

I agree that there is a chance that he is in a RBBC by the middle of the season.

But then again, when we draft players this is always a possibility.

I think he is a good RB2 candidate though, and I'm willing to have him rostered under that RB2 umbrella in several of my redraft leagues.

But the way I draft WR-WR early, I tend to have a load of RB2 types, and then mix and match as I go, in my own "fantasy RBBC" if you will.

Ellington is the type of scenario that I absolutely love to be honest. Talent is there, and at least the possibility of a heavy workload.

I don't know what I would think of this player in dynasty. I have never been in a dynasty league, so I don't know what I might have done differently had this been the case.

Well, I think I may have been even more inclined to handcuff him, but other than that I don't know.

TZM

I have to ask though, did you anticipate getting Ellington and using him as an "RB1"?

I personally thought when I drafted him last year,...... well point blank, I knew then that he wasn't big enough to be that pile mover that you mention.

Lets face it, there are bigger backs, and then there are other smaller type backs.

I agree that there is a chance that he is in a RBBC by the middle of the season.

I think he is a good RB2 candidate though, and I'm willing to have him rostered under that RB2 umbrella in several of my redraft leagues.

But the way I draft WR-WR early, I tend to have a load of RB2 types, and then mix and match as I go, in my own "fantasy RBBC" if you will.

Ellington is the type of scenario that I absolutely love to be honest. Talent is there, and at least the possibility of a heavy workload.

I don't know what I would think of this player in dynasty. I have never been in a dynasty league, so I don't know what I might have done differently had this been the case.

Well, I think I may have been even more inclined to handcuff him, but other than that I don't know.

TZM
Yeah no doubt about it man he's talented. I would love him infinitely more on NE or Philly or NO BC they'd know how to use him.

I like him certainly as an rb2. He's my rb3 actually. But I had higher hopes for him though. The all.

TZM
Yeah no doubt about it man he's talented. I would love him infinitely more on NE or Philly or NO BC they'd know how to use him.

I like him certainly as an rb2. He's my rb3 actually. But I had higher hopes for him though. The all.
I expect RB1 numbers against NO and going forward as long as he is healthy.

ourmanflint said:
rickyg said:
TZMarkie said:
rickyg said:

TZM
Yeah no doubt about it man he's talented. I would love him infinitely more on NE or Philly or NO BC they'd know how to use him.I like him certainly as an rb2. He's my rb3 actually. But I had higher hopes for him though. The all.
I expect RB1 numbers against NO and going forward as long as he is healthy.
I'd love nothing more than to be wrong on this one while he propels my dynasty team to a championship this year!!! So I hope you're right.

I am assuming we are talking PPR, otherwise that whole RB1 statement is not worth talking about... Rickyg does a good job of capturing what Ellington is best at. Expecting this skillset, combined with sub-optimal usage, to translate into stud RB numbers is fool's gold.

Hence, I own Ellington and I know there will be a few RB1 weeks and a few RB3 weeks, but the average will fall in the top-15 range. Drafting him and expecting top-10 is just being optimistic. But there are some advantages to owning him that need to be mentioned.

One, easy handcuff that no one is excited about and can be had late.

Two, high PPR floor - you know he will catch a few balls - averages 4.5 receptions / game (!).

Three, when you don't have a choice and have to start him against solid run defenses (e.g., Seattle), you can still get good numbers because of the PPR and big-play upside. In the same situation, you would probably be itching to sit pretty much all other RBs in that projection range.

He'll never hold up.
Agreed. David Johnson is just unproven. Where as Ellington has proven he can excel if you limit his touches.
How about he had nearly 4 catches a game and that hid his anemic 3.3 ypc.

It's pretty obvious he's a great 3rd down/change of pace RB but not 3 down rb.
That's the first thing I thought too. It comes off almost desperate. Grade 2 Hamstring pull could linger though.......might be week 4 or 5 before DJ replaces the anemic Ellington.
Do you work for Rotoworld or are you just a Parrot?

Well, that was fun. I was looking like a genius drafting Ingram and Ellington in the 5th and 6th and then this.

And this ladies and gentlemen................is why TZM ALWAYS handcuffs a back that may get a lot of work.

I have David Johnson on both teams where I had Ellington.

It may or may not turn out great, but I will get something, or at least I have a semblance of production.

(I may just have to have DJ in my fantasy RRBC now)

The good news is the one touch that DJ had, he looked good, and since they were already high on the kid, maybe we can get solid production out of him for the time being.

I don't know how long this PCL injury may keep Ellington out for 6+ weeks, maybe even longer.

I don't need him clogging up my roster if he won't be returning until very late season, and if we hear some late season projection, I will just cut him and move on.

TZM

Problem is, even if Ellington is out for only a handful of weeks, I can't imagine Arians ever trusting him again to be a full time back.

Have to think his future role will be only as a situational guy, the role in which he excelled a few years ago.

He'll never hold up.
Agreed. David Johnson is just unproven. Where as Ellington has proven he can excel if you limit his touches.
How about he had nearly 4 catches a game and that hid his anemic 3.3 ypc.

It's pretty obvious he's a great 3rd down/change of pace RB but not 3 down rb.
That's the first thing I thought too. It comes off almost desperate. Grade 2 Hamstring pull could linger though.......might be week 4 or 5 before DJ replaces the anemic Ellington.
Do you work for Rotoworld or are you just a Parrot?
Lol sup

TZMarkie said:
And this ladies and gentlemen................is why TZM ALWAYS handcuffs a back that may get a lot of work.

It may or may not turn out great, but I will get something, or at least I have a semblance of production.

The good news is the one touch that DJ had, he looked good, and since they were already high on the kid, maybe we can get solid production out of him for the time being.

I don't know how long this PCL injury may keep Ellington out for 6+ weeks, maybe even longer.

I don't need him clogging up my roster if he won't be returning until very late season, and if we hear some late season projection, I will just cut him and move on.

TZM
What about Chris Johnson?

CJ was viewed as a depth signing, and was actually signed while DJ was hurt in camp with a hamstring injury.

I have no interest in rostering 3 backs from this team, and DJ is the one they view highest.

I expect CJ to get some work, but they should be moving towards letting DJ taking over, or at least thats what their plans seem to be.

They were awfully high on the kid from the onset.

I would think by the end of the week or possibly next we should have a bit more clarity.

TZM

I think David Johnson is the play. You'd have to be an idiot to not take notice of what he brings to the team every time he is on the field.

All that "CJ is our lead dog" stuff is simply coachspeak with a blend of veteran deference topped off with a smidge of "confuse the next opponent".

It will not be long before David Johnson is the fantasy RB you want from this team.

Ugh. Was so wrong about this guy...
maybe not. He was effective while he was in. He's not done for the year or anything. Lot of guys got hurt yesterday.
He's just always banged up. Not a guy I like to have in dynasty/deep keeper leagues, which is where I do.
agree. Yeah, as a dynasty guy, I am selling if I own, even at the discount price you can only get. I don't like him at all for dynasty.

TZMarkie said:

TZM
I am OK with CJ taking the beating between the tackles, and having David come in as a change of pace/ home run back for a couple of games to get him acclimated.

Good news overall. I think that when they get a good look at Chris Johnson they'll be in a hurry to get ellington back,, the wild card is David Johnson. I think he'll still have a role, COP back. I still like Ellington for this season. I don't think CJ will be on the team at the end of the year.

What are the chances this episode finally teaches Arians not use Ellington as a hammer between the tackles? He'd be much more valuable to his team (and consistently available...) if he had 7-8 carries per game and 7-8 targets.

What are the chances this episode finally teaches Arians not use Ellington as a hammer between the tackles? He'd be much more valuable to his team (and consistently available...) if he had 7-8 carries per game and 7-8 targets.
I agree he would be more valuable but DJ is better than Ellington at both of those things. Ellington should be more of a change of pace 3rd down back and get 6-7 touches total. They need to unleash the dragon.

It was a non-contact injury.

I agree he would be more valuable but DJ is better than Ellington at both of those things. Ellington should be more of a change of pace 3rd down back and get 6-7 touches total. They need to unless the dragon.
We think he could be, but we don't have any real confirmation of this.

It was but I think the point is that he would be at less risk from injury, of all types, if he had had maybe four touches in advance of that play instead of 12 (and been in the lineup for a smaller % of plays overall).

I agree he would be more valuable but DJ is better than Ellington at both of those things. Ellington should be more of a change of pace 3rd down back and get 6-7 touches total. They need to unless the dragon.
DJ is not a hammer. Any linebackers he trucked in college do not bare any resemblance to NFL linebackers. He is a bigger, sturdier version of Ellington without the experience.

It was but I think the point is that he would be at less risk from injury, of all types, if he had had maybe four touches in advance of that play instead of 12 (and been in the lineup for a smaller % of plays overall).
Jordy Nelson and Kelvin Benjamin both tore their ACL's with non-contact injuries. Should their teams have been managing their snaps? They came out much worse than Ellington.

Jordy Nelson and Kelvin Benjamin both tore their ACL's with non-contact injuries. Should their teams have been managing their snaps? They came out much worse than Ellington.
No.

ETA: Well actually, yes, the Packers should have put Nelson on a snap count for such a meaningless game. Realistically they should have not played him at all considering he was coming off of hip surgery.

I agree he would be more valuable but DJ is better than Ellington at both of those things. Ellington should be more of a change of pace 3rd down back and get 6-7 touches total. They need to unleash the dragon.
When your boy DJ proves himself like Ellington has, then you might be correct. At this point, there is nothing to suggest Ellington is not the better back when healthy. All else is wishful thinking - for now.

When your boy DJ proves himself like Ellington has, then you might be correct. At this point, there is nothing to suggest Ellington is not the better back when healthy. All else is wishful thinking - for now.
As a HUGE Cardinal fan your statement is flawed. Andre has proven zero. H was below average as a runner yet did pretty well in the passing game. He is also quite brittle. I expect DJ to be the man this time next year as he looks the part. I do however think Chris Johnson will get a nice chunk going forward but likely no resigned. Cardinals do many one year deal and let the guys go.

Users who are viewing this thread