What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ADMIN - Can we get more control over Looking For Leagues? (1 Viewer)

meyerj31

Footballguy
I'm getting a little annoyed by all the spam from companies who are advertising in here for leagues without 100% payouts. Why are you letting people advertise their own small businesses here?

I think this should be reserved for nothing but 100% payout, personally commished leagues. Some of these links are taking 15-20% of the money out of the prizepool - robbery!

Can we get an admin's thoughts on this please? Do you have some deal with FFL that you allow all of their postings in here?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
gandalas said:
Hate all the shady companies that run multiple leagues for sometimes a 20%+ cut of the entry fees.

This guy is the worst. Taking $120 from a $40 entry fee?

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=681006

Heh, missed this gem as well:

* All live draft leagues have an additional fee of $4.95.
Damn, so you are charging even more for a basic option from MFL leagues?
I like where he alleges that those charges are just for the equipment to host the site and provide the service. I assume most are live-scoring (lets say 75%), so if he actually has 1,000 teams, he's making around $13,750/year off of the entry fees. I feel like that should come out of the 20% he takes off the top... the House doesn't charge you every time you sit at a table, they only take a cut when the hand is over.

I like where he alleges that those charges are just for the equipment to host the site and provide the service. I assume most are live-scoring (lets say 75%), so if he actually has 1,000 teams, he's making around $13,750/year off of the entry fees. I feel like that should come out of the 20% he takes off the top... the House doesn't charge you every time you sit at a table, they only take a cut when the hand is over.
That number is actually a little more than a thousand dollars short, I have a friend that actually looked into this.

As to the rest of the topic, I am new here, but I don't see a reason why they can't advertise as well, I mean what other section would they use?

Once again, new, but just trying to give another perspective here.

That number is actually a little more than a thousand dollars short, I have a friend that actually looked into this.

As to the rest of the topic, I am new here, but I don't see a reason why they can't advertise as well, I mean what other section would they use?

This is not a place for commercial advertisement. It is a place where people from the forums can "Look For Leagues". Private leagues. If these crooks are allowed to post here, where does it end? Can CBS post here and advertise their ripoff public leagues? I don't believe you are new here for one second. Your first post is defending these slimeballs that take 20% (or whatever) and pocket it? Maybe you are one of them.

In my private leagues I do have some costs (like the league website and some admin time) so I think I usually pay back like 92-94%.

I don't usually join the leagues that take 15-20% but that's a personal choice - they are running a business and I am not. I do join the ones I want - like the FFPC or the FPC

I think FBG may not comment because they run a contest that also takes a big percentage (FPC) --- again, I don't care -- not sure why folks are up in arms here.

Maybe a better point would be to let new members to the site know there are many of us who run anywhere from a couple leagues to several leagues that do not charge fees. It does seem like free adverstising though for those groups that do keep 10-30% to just make posts here.

Wow still nothing from the powers to be ......maybe if we act out and get crazy in here it will attract attention. I'm going to turn off my spell check and start UsiNg uNnessAry CapitALS.

Wow still nothing from the powers to be ......maybe if we act out and get crazy in here it will attract attention. I'm going to turn off my spell check and start UsiNg uNnessAry CapitALS.
That is a good one :towelwave:

why don't you self police, in the threads, break down the payouts and let an informed customer make their own decision.

Simple enough.

Peace

This is not a place for commercial advertisement. It is a place where people from the forums can "Look For Leagues". Private leagues. If these crooks are allowed to post here, where does it end? Can CBS post here and advertise their ripoff public leagues? I don't believe you are new here for one second. Your first post is defending these slimeballs that take 20% (or whatever) and pocket it? Maybe you are one of them.
"Look For Leagues" says nothing about private versus public. I actually signed up on this forum to see if it would be a place to advertise my own league network. It is for fun only, no charges and no payouts. I'm new here, but I post a lot on ESPN. I don't see them being crooks, they aren't making you join their leagues. A smart/experienced owner would know better than to join. The reason I am defending this is that I have done the research, and the high amount is the reason I chose not to go down that path. I'm also defending it because of the private / public issue, and I figured it would get some clarification. Hope that background helps explain.

Conversely, it's not the site admin's job to do homework for you before you join a league.

If you can't distinguish a for-profit league that's on you :shrug:

This section is called LOOKING FOR LEAGUES. They are offering leagues. You decide to join or not join..whats the issue?

I think non-idp is a lesser game so can we ban those too? :shrug:

This section is called LOOKING FOR LEAGUES. They are offering leagues. You decide to join or not join..whats the issue?

I think non-idp is a lesser game so can we ban those too? :shrug:
And another forum is called the FREE FOR ALL, so how come they don't let people spam that forum in attempts to make money through their business?

Conversely, it's not the site admin's job to do homework for you before you join a league.

If you can't distinguish a for-profit league that's on you :shrug:
I remember years ago when FF got big on the net I started to read and scan these Forums for help...isnt that the reason there here. To say "thats on you" isn't really what these sites are supposed to be about. Maybe your right we shouldn't ban the FOR PROFIT leagues but this conversation that this has started is relevant and noteworthy.

And I think for the newbie's its important to point out that most of us ( I say this b/c it appears from the conversation) think they should be eliminated from the forum

So, moderators should check each time a new league is advertised?....do some math and determine if somebody is going to make a profit?....Is it any profit, or 5%....10%....that should get the post removed? I see plenty of leagues that are offered on this site and get few if no replies. I commish a few leagues and don't gain any monetary profit but if somebody wants to advertise a league that makes somebody a profit, I really don't care. Free choice to play in whichever type of league I want. Also, if I was a moderator, I wouldn't waste my time looking into each new league post. I would scrap the forum before I did that. Maybe some people don't mind joining a league where somebody makes a little profit. Not sure it is your concern. If you don't want to play in one of those leagues, then don't. I am a big boy and have the ability to determine what type of league is being advertised and decide whether I want to play in it. This is what I term a Mickey Mouse issue......insignificant.

Users who are viewing this thread