What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (1 Viewer)

bummer:

Bengals RB Giovani Bernard sits out Friday's practice
by Igor Mello | CBSSports.com
(11:06 am ET) Bengals running back Giovani Bernard was unable to practice Friday, putting him in danger of missing another week of action, according to ESPN. Instead of practicing, Bernard went through on-field rehab work for the third consecutive day, as he continues to recover from a hip injury. Bernard has missed the last two games with hip and clavicle issues. He has rushed for 446 yards and five touchdowns this season. He has also compiled 179 receiving yards through seven games.

Anyone trading for Gio.

Guy in my league is in much need of a flex play this week and possibly sell Gio for a stronger play this week?

Anyone had any luck buying low? Injury still scares me, but could be worth a gamble?
In a keep 3 league, I traded him for AP and Antonio Gates. Gio would not have been one of my keepers next year.

What is the deal with this injury?? I sold him 2 weeks ago but just out of curiousity.....wasn't it originally billed as a hip pointer????

What is the deal with this injury?? I sold him 2 weeks ago but just out of curiousity.....wasn't it originally billed as a hip pointer????
I second this question. The Bengals are obviously not telling the public the full story here. Does anyone know?

Since he just started rehabbing work this week I the earliest he will play is week 12, but more likely week 13. 5 weeks. So what kind of injury takes 4-6 weeks to heal? We need some speculation here as Cin will never tell us what happened. We will hear about the truth of it on "A Football Life" in 5-10 years.

I picked him up for a 2015 2nd round rookie pick, Benny Cunningham, and some other stuff. Of course, it was right before his injury so he has not been in my lineup since I picked him up. He's not worth much between this "hip injury" and now Hill showing well. Sure hope this isn't a "hip injury" like Pitta's or Bo Jackson's. :wall:

Between Gio and Foster, it's nice time to have clinched a playoff spot already. Having both of them fresh for fantasy playoffs would be nice.

So glad I had the foresight to trade for Hill. Going forward, anytime you have 1a and another talented back close behind, you almost have to own both.

I second this question. The Bengals are obviously not telling the public the full story here. Does anyone know?
He was also reported to have a collar bone injury.

Bengals aren't saying squat, but clearly this was far more significant than they were willing to let on.

Since he just started rehabbing work this week I the earliest he will play is week 12, but more likely week 13. 5 weeks. So what kind of injury takes 4-6 weeks to heal? We need some speculation here as Cin will never tell us what happened. We will hear about the truth of it on "A Football Life" in 5-10 years.
A hip pointer can take several weeks to recover from, especially if he had been trying to play through it and caused more damage. Combined with the collar bone injury he's just a beat up player who needs some recovery time.

Bengals may not be saying much but roster moves are a good indicator. Unless I'm missing something, which is possible, other than Peerman they've not signed a RB or done one of those multi RB tryouts and Peerman himself is beat up. I believe if they were under the impression this injury with Gio was going to lag on a few more weeks they would at a minimum audition some other RB's.

I think he'll be fine in a week or two and much better off after having taking these few weeks to get right.

I picked him up for a 2015 2nd round rookie pick, Benny Cunningham, and some other stuff. Of course, it was right before his injury so he has not been in my lineup since I picked him up. He's not worth much between this "hip injury" and now Hill showing well. Sure hope this isn't a "hip injury" like Pitta's or Bo Jackson's. :wall:
SMH.

A hip pointer can take several weeks to recover from, especially if he had been trying to play through it and caused more damage. Combined with the collar bone injury he's just a beat up player who needs some recovery time.

Bengals may not be saying much but roster moves are a good indicator. Unless I'm missing something, which is possible, other than Peerman they've not signed a RB or done one of those multi RB tryouts and Peerman himself is beat up. I believe if they were under the impression this injury with Gio was going to lag on a few more weeks they would at a minimum audition some other RB's.

I think he'll be fine in a week or two and much better off after having taking these few weeks to get right.
How many active players do the Bengals have right now? Last I recall they cut LB Fortt (who was a promising Saints draft pick) and signed WR Hamilton to the PS but no one new to the roster. Wonder what's going on there...

They also have James Wilder Jr. on the practice squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone trading for Gio.

Guy in my league is in much need of a flex play this week and possibly sell Gio for a stronger play this week?

Anyone had any luck buying low? Injury still scares me, but could be worth a gamble.
Got him at my deadline for Sankey, Floyd and G Tate.

I'm out of it so I love it for next year.

Anyone trading for Gio.

Anyone had any luck buying low? Injury still scares me, but could be worth a gamble.
Got him at my deadline for Sankey, Floyd and G Tate.

I'm out of it so I love it for next year.
I got him for Sankey, Oliver and a late 1st (pick 10-12). This was when Oliver was looking like the next great thing.

Seen a guy turn down a Bernard trade he couldn't part with Hillman/Torrey Smith combo for him...seen another guy pass on Bernard for M-Bryant straight up.

This smells alot like the McFadden injury a couple years ago where every week they would continue to not say much but he wasn't practicing then he should be back and end of the year they said he had lisfranc abs they never planned on him back.

He has been on the rehab field. Which means they are probably at least hoping to have him back. As others said, I doubt they would use one of their roster spots on a guy they know is not coming back this season.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Monday, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said he "thinks" Giovani Bernard (hip) will resume practicing this week, but added that he "(wasn't) sure."

Lewis likes to offer up wishy-washy comments, but most signs point toward Bernard returning on Wednesday, and likely suiting up for Week 12. The Bengals' own website has said as much. Bernard reportedly looked good in pre-game warmups before Sunday's win over the Saints. Sidelined for the past three games, Bernard is expected to return to more of a timeshare with Jeremy Hill, who has starred during his absence. Hill should function as the Bengals' primary between-the-tackles runner, with Bernard catches passes and changing the pace.

Related: Jeremy Hill

Source: Geoff Hobson on Twitter
Nov 17 - 3:58 PM

Jackson said gio was "tremendous" in practise today, whatever that means.
Giovani Bernard (hip) practiced on a limited basis on Wednesday. It was his first practice since injuring his hip Week 8 against the Ravens. Bernard is fully expected to play this week against the Texans, though his role is still unclear. Bengals.com’s Geoff Hobson expects Jeremy Hill to handle “the bulk of the carries” at least until Bernard gets healthy, but Hill handling the majority of the workload may simply become the status quo. Hill has played well with Bernard sidelined and has been the best between-the-tackles runner this season. The Bengals would be best served returning Bernard to the complementary role he played in 2013, with Hill serving in the BenJarvus Green-Ellis role.

I would like to take this back to the original post. Why not Gio Bernard at the 1.01? Two words. Jeremy Hill.

I've got both so I think I'll roll both out there instead of Lamar Miller at Denver...I'm a Texans fan and can see match up advantages for both backs, especially Gio if they use him as a receiver. Our LBs have been getting exposed by receiving backs for a couple years now. We had no answer for LeVeon Bell a few weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackson said gio was "tremendous" in practise today, whatever that means.
Giovani Bernard (hip) practiced on a limited basis on Wednesday. It was his first practice since injuring his hip Week 8 against the Ravens. Bernard is fully expected to play this week against the Texans, though his role is still unclear. Bengals.com’s Geoff Hobson expects Jeremy Hill to handle “the bulk of the carries” at least until Bernard gets healthy, but Hill handling the majority of the workload may simply become the status quo. Hill has played well with Bernard sidelined and has been the best between-the-tackles runner this season. The Bengals would be best served returning Bernard to the complementary role he played in 2013, with Hill serving in the BenJarvus Green-Ellis role.
Those are pretty colors, however I don't think Geoff Hobson's opinion in the red part of your quote means jack squat. Marvin Lewis's MO is an easy read.

According to ESPN's Coley Harvey, Bernard was "was back at No. 1 (duty) during open portion of practice." Bernard is perhaps fantasy's biggest wild card for Week 12, but it's beginning to appear as if he'll be returning to a workload resembling the one he was handling before going down. We still expect Jeremy Hill to maintain a bigger role on early downs, however. With the situation uncertain, both backs can be utilized as RB2s for Week 12.

Honestly, as a Gio owner, I wouldn't even care if he went back to the "1B" role he was in last year. He produced just fine. Hill's presence will also save Gio a lot of wear and tear running between the tackles on the early downs. I think there's plenty of work to go around.

Honestly, as a Gio owner, I wouldn't even care if he went back to the "1B" role he was in last year. He produced just fine. Hill's presence will also save Gio a lot of wear and tear running between the tackles on the early downs. I think there's plenty of work to go around.
I own both, and I'd probably feel the same way except for the fact that Hugh doesn't seem to emphasize throws to the RBs like Gruden did last season. Gio splitting the "RB touches" with Hill just marginalizes both for fantasy. Now, if all of a sudden the RBs start getting 7-8+ targets per game, then that changes things, but we haven't seen that since like the first two weeks of the season.

Really think the Bengals should re-emphasize getting Gio the ball in the passing game, especially with AJ Green back to open up some underneath space. We don't have any LBs who can cover worth a damn.

I'm curious as to the other options you are considering this week in lieu of Gio. Anyone sitting him out as a wait and see this week?

I have LeVeon Bell on bye. I have Jeremy Hill, Gio Bernard and Andre Ellington. Im starting Denard Robinson and have to pick out of those three for my other RB. Im leaning toward starting Ellington and just see what happens with Hill and Bernard. :shrug:

I just don't like Ellington against the Seahawks <_<

I'm curious as to the other options you are considering this week in lieu of Gio. Anyone sitting him out as a wait and see this week?
In a league where we only HAVE to start 1 RB, 2 WRs and 2 FLEX, I am still mulling over which TWO out of Crow/Roddy White/Gio/Hill. Part of me wants to start both Cincy RBs to ensure all Cincy RB points (conservative play). Problem is, I NEED to win this week, and might need to take a bit of a chance. I tend to dislike starting guys their first game back after missing multiple games.

Makes sense. I'm also torn, but if I don't win this week, I'm out. It's the potential homerun (Gio) for a potential ground rule double, (Mason, Miller).

Unsure, but I think I'd like to see how this pans out rather than risk a dud.

I own Hill and I just traded two ones, probably 4 and 5 overall for Gio. The way the RB position has changed I'm ok starting both Hill and Gio each week rather than guessing who scores more. 25 points a week from the two RB spots is the average in my league. I see no reason why the Hill/Gio combo can't beat or equal that most weeks. Trying to figure out who gets the bulk of the load each week is too much of a headache.

I'm positively starting Blue over him if Foster is out. If Foster plays, I'm 50/50 on whether to play McKinnon over him (at RB2, behind Forte).

My RB's are Forte, Ingram, Bernard/Hill and Vereen. I'm starting Forte and Ingram and no idea what I'm doing at flex yet with the other 3.

In PPR I rank my rbs like so, starters in caps:

MURRAY

BLUE( if foster sits)

TRich

Mckinnon

Gio

Sims

Gio risky because we don't know usage. Could do better than others 4anked higher, but doubt it this week.

A lot of decent options here. I myself am toying with sitting Gio for two of these: Blue, Miller, Tre Mason. Leaning Blue and Mason.

Expecting Gio to go bananas today. 20+ in PPR
Probably. I have F-Jax in right now ahead of Gio. Yuck.

Have any Bengals homers chimed in? I know Cinci had a bunch of injuries to their O-line earlier, so I'm wondering if improvements there have played a role in Hill looking so good, or if there hasn't been much improvement there and it was all Hill.

Users who are viewing this thread