What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (1 Viewer)

I'd also love to see Gio get the lion's share of RB touches, but never underestimate the loyalty factor when it comes to veteran coaches and their players.

People see a nice 10-yard run right there and say "What's the problem?"

The "problem" is that Gio scores on that same play. My mother would have gained 5 yards on that play.

Problem is that Gio won't get enough touches - yet - to be a reliable starter. May take a BJGE injury since Marvin will likely continue to pound the ball with the firm.

I actually didn't believe it when someone mentioned earlier in the thread that he ran only a 4.53 at the combine. I had to go check on that, and sure enough it is true. I would have bet anything he was faster than that. It looks like guys are running in slow motion when they are chasing him, especially when you watch his UNC game film.

He's got those choppy steps like Sproles. Maybe he's more quick than fast.

He can run between the tackles.. and looks great in space.. I'm not saying dont use bge but gb should be the guy...looks like he's in again. Good to see

I actually didn't believe it when someone mentioned earlier in the thread that he ran only a 4.53 at the combine. I had to go check on that, and sure enough it is true. I would have bet anything he was faster than that. It looks like guys are running in slow motion when they are chasing him, especially when you watch his UNC game film.

He's got those choppy steps like Sproles. Maybe he's more quick than fast.
40 times can be very deceptive when talking about actual game speed. This has been talked about and explained a ton in here I know. That is one 40 yard dash also as I seen he has ran 4.4 before. He is football fast and quick and has amazing vision, balance, low to ground and a great wr. All around stud back if the bengals use him geez.

gio should be used this week against GB more in passing game, screens, dumpoffs, slants etc. It should be more of a shootout instead of a grind out and maybe gio can go up in touches... 5 the first game 9 the second. Im looking for 12-15 touches in week 3.

Plays like that kill the gio love.. small play in the stat sheet but monster for the coaches
what play? I missed the 2nd half
Probably when the Bengals were running out the clock and BGJE was bulldozing people to make first downs and kill clock.

I know people love to rail on Lewis for how he uses people, but for my money both guys were nails in their roles last night.

Gio left 17 points on my bench while Murray gives me...what... 4? Is Gio startable over my 3 clowns Bradshaw, Murray, and J Bell?

:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Plays like that kill the gio love.. small play in the stat sheet but monster for the coaches
Probably when the Bengals were running out the clock and BGJE was bulldozing people to make first downs and kill clock.

I know people love to rail on Lewis for how he uses people, but for my money both guys were nails in their roles last night.
I somewhat agree

Bengals sorta got too cute last week and blew their 11 point 3rd quarter lead.

Although, complacency is what seemed to get the better of them down the stretch the past 2 years.

And maybe that style can work against offenses like Pit? Next week is Green Bay...

Absolutely. As fantasy guys, we tend to overlook the little things that mean a ton to NFL coaches, but seem futile to us. Such as moving the chains in small 2-3 yard increments that keeps your defense off the field.

May not be what we want, but I'm sure Marvin is as pleased as punch as to what Law Firm was able to do.

Now when the team is playing in catch up mode, then I imagine we'll see more of Gio.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like where things are going for him, but I still consider him a low-mid flex play. Without those 2 TD's it was a very pedestrian day. Will hold him on my bench in my leagues this week but am starting to like the looks of this. Like others have said, BGE looked good and did what he was asked to do as well.

Absolutely. As fantasy guys, we tend to overlook the little things that mean a ton to NFL coaches, but seem futile to us. Such as moving the chains in small 2-3 yard increments that keeps your defense off the field.

May not be what we want, but I'm sure Marvin is as pleased as punch as to what Law Firm was able to do.

Now when the team is playing in catch up mode, then I imagine we'll see more of Gio.
eh that might be overstating it

It seems obvious to me that the Bengals brass realized that they couldn't get over the hump because of lack of play making at TE and RB and that is why they addressed that in the draft. On monday night those 2 draft picks were the x factors and arguably the difference in the game.

Yet our fantasy takeaway should be that coaches were really excited about that 3rd and 2 pickup by BJGE? And that should be the direction of the offense in the future? Yeah not buying it

Gio left 17 points on my bench while Murray gives me...what... 4? Is Gio startable over my 3 clowns Bradshaw, Murray, and J Bell?

:shrug:
Not sure about the rest of the season but I'm starting Joique Bell in every league i can this week. Banged up Reggie Bush + terrible WAS defense = POINTS

I like where things are going for him, but I still consider him a low-mid flex play. Without those 2 TD's it was a very pedestrian day. Will hold him on my bench in my leagues this week but am starting to like the looks of this. Like others have said, BGE looked good and did what he was asked to do as well.
well without the tds he it was pedestrian....what?? he only had 9 touches so I would say so if you take any rbs tds away and give him 9 touches he is gonna be pedestrian. Just stating obvious.

If gio doesn't get 10 plus carries and 7 targets in the passing game against GB Lewis should be fired on the spot. Playing in catch up mode will be this week so I see GIO breaking out this week.

well without the tds he it was pedestrian....what?? he only had 9 touches so I would say so if you take any rbs tds away and give him 9 touches he is gonna be pedestrian. Just stating obvious.
Exactly. Do you want a RB in your starting lineup that gets 9 touches? I'd feel more comfortable putting him in my starting lineup if he got 15 touches for 75 yards and no TDs.

It seems obvious to me that the Bengals brass realized that they couldn't get over the hump because of lack of play making at TE and RB and that is why they addressed that in the draft. On monday night those 2 draft picks were the x factors and arguably the difference in the game.

Yet our fantasy takeaway should be that coaches were really excited about that 3rd and 2 pickup by BJGE? And that should be the direction of the offense in the future? Yeah not buying it
a 3rd and 6 run, and not that he got 8 yards on the play.. it was the way he got those yards, it should of been a 4 maybe 5 yard run and punt.. but he wasnt going down and got them the first down. to chew more time off the clock.. doesnt look like much , but when the game is on the line are you going to rely on your rookie rb, or a guy who although isnt flashy you know is gonna hang on to the ball and get tough yards.

I would like to see Gio get 12-15 touches again next week. While BGE comes down to 17-20.. I understand he had a high run amount cause of burning clock. I think if they were down 10 Gio might of had some of those catches out of the backfield late in the game.

Probably when the Bengals were running out the clock and BGJE was bulldozing people to make first downs and kill clock. I know people love to rail on Lewis for how he uses people, but for my money both guys were nails in their roles last night.
Absolutely. As fantasy guys, we tend to overlook the little things that mean a ton to NFL coaches, but seem futile to us. Such as moving the chains in small 2-3 yard increments that keeps your defense off the field.May not be what we want, but I'm sure Marvin is as pleased as punch as to what Law Firm was able to do.

Can't look at it only from a fantasy standpoint. Totally agree that Gio should - and probably will - get more touches going forward. But to think that because he is much more explosive, he is going to put BJGE on the bench is misguided thinking. They complement each other well. Gio's time will come, but may be a ways off.

Marvin Lewis has some decisions to make.

Giovani Bernard -- He is explosive and he needs more touches. The idea that BJGE can "run the clock out" is true...but if Gio gets 15-20 touches a game, perhaps the Bengals score an additional 7-10 points and put themselves in better positions? The 3 yards and a cloud of dust that the coaching staff loves in the fourth quarter, is a drag on the offense in the first quarter.

Gio needs to be the main man, aside from short yardage and "run the clock out" scenarios. But at this point, BJGE is 100% still the 1A rb, and Gio is nothing more than a change of pace back, that happened to pick up 2 td's, which should be classified as "lucky". He's going to be a drag on your starting lineup until the coaching staff changes things up.

Yes, he needs to play against Green Bay for the Bengals to have any chance.

Probably when the Bengals were running out the clock and BGJE was bulldozing people to make first downs and kill clock. I know people love to rail on Lewis for how he uses people, but for my money both guys were nails in their roles last night.
Absolutely. As fantasy guys, we tend to overlook the little things that mean a ton to NFL coaches, but seem futile to us. Such as moving the chains in small 2-3 yard increments that keeps your defense off the field.May not be what we want, but I'm sure Marvin is as pleased as punch as to what Law Firm was able to do.

Can't look at it only from a fantasy standpoint. Totally agree that Gio should - and probably will - get more touches going forward. But to think that because he is much more explosive, he is going to put BJGE on the bench is misguided thinking. They complement each other well. Gio's time will come, but may be a ways off.
I think the original statement (not by you) was "kill the Gio love" which I took as fantasy

He wasn't ever going to be a volume back and we knew that. The upside isnt great but it certainly is relevant in the current RB scarce FF landscape.

Users who are viewing this thread