What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (1 Viewer)

I doubt the Bengals are going to bail on Dalton.
They might not but it remains to be true. AJ need someone that can sling it deep.............being from Ft. Worth I'm a Dalton fan but he is what is he.
How does Dalton's #'s stack up against Drew Brees after 2 yeras in the league? I'm not saying it to be sarcastic or implying that Dalton will be the next Brees but I'm just curious.

Is Cobb for Gio an ok deal? I'm desperate at RB and have WR depth to let Cobb go. Non ppr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengals homer here. I think part of the reason we are seeing Gio in there so much on goal line situations is how versatile he makes the offense. Put BJGE in at the goal line and teams cheat guys in the box. Sure, it leaves Green 1on1 on the outside for the mostly predictable fade route, but that option is less recognizable if the DB is thinking he has to watch for the RB in the flat. Something he never worries about with BJGE.

I just see Gio as making the offense less predictable and for Cincinnati, that is something they have struggled with.

Kid is fun to watch and I was very excited to see him drafted back in April.

FWIW, Green-Ellis was limited in practice yesterday with an ankle injury.

Probably nothing, but something to keep an eye on.

Stating the case for Bengals' Gio Bernard

By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- OK, might as well come out and admit it.

As if this two-week-old column from the Bengals' Monday night win over Pittsburgh wasn't any indication, I am an unapologetic Giovani Bernard fan.

I'll say that one more time (with feeling): I am a Giovani Bernard fan.

I guess that makes me ... human?

Because I always have taken my credibility as a sports journalist seriously and since I value my sense of objectivity to the nth degree, I won't go any further than that. But honestly, am I saying anything that's any different from what anybody else, fans and sportswriters alike, have been saying since the preseason?

Yeah, didn't think so.

ESPN fantasy expert Christopher Harris has been among those stating a case for Bernard since April. Before the back even suited up for rookie camp, Harris was tabbing him as a player fantasy owners would want to keep in mind (see above video). The fact that Bernard was splitting carries with BenJarvus Green-Ellis originally worried Harris that Bernard, by fantasy standards, wouldn't be able to produce this year.

But as we've seen, even with a running back rotation the Bengals have no plans of straying from, Bernard has been productive not only in fantasy, but in real life, too. And while Green-Ellis may not be exactly where the Bengals would like him statistically, he hasn't played all that poorly in the rotation himself, either.

When I say I'm a fan of Bernard, I'm specifically referring to the way he plays. He could be in Canada, Poland, Iceland or on Mars, and I'd still watch him. It's been that way for me since he burst on the college scene as a redshirt freshman at North Carolina in 2011, fresh off a knee injury that shelved him the year before. At the time, I was also in ACC country, working in my previous journalistic life as a beat writer covering football at Florida State. In addition to my duties covering the Seminoles, I also was in my fourth year serving on a panel that selected the ACC's players of the week. Late every Saturday and all day on Sundays that season, my jaw would drop whenever I caught another Bernard highlight-reel run on television or read his stats ahead of my vote the following Monday morning.

That season, the numbers were staggering. In one game, he had 24 carries. In the next, 25. A week later, he had 27 for 109 yards rushing and nine receptions. On offense alone, he touched the ball 38 times in that single game. Unfortunately for the Tar Heels, it was one they ended up losing.

The next year, the numbers were even more mind-boggling. In one conference game, he averaged 11.4 yards per carry, rushing 23 times for 262 yards. In another, he torched a fast, but not very good, Miami defense for 177 yards and a pair of rushing scores. His longest runs of the year spanned 38, 42, 59, 62 and 68 yards. He also had receptions of 36, 39 and 78 yards, and returned two punts for touchdowns, including one against nemesis NC State to preserve the Tar Heels' first win in the rivalry in five seasons.

To call him explosive in college would have been a gross understatement. It would have been the equivalent of comparing a block of C4 to a Fourth of July sparkler. He wasn't just dynamic, he was a true game-changer.

So that's the reason, as much as Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has grown tired of hearing it, the calls for more touches for Bernard will continue.

Through his first three games in Cincinnati, the rookie has averaged just 9.3 touches per game. He's rushed 22 times and caught six passes. Two of those receptions have been among Cincinnati's most pivotal plays of the young season. The first resulted in a 27-yard touchdown. It came after he caught a short screen near the line of scrimmage and accelerated past the secondary with his speed.

His second big reception was a 31-yard haul that took Cincinnati from the shadows of its own end zone and helped set up a quick score that cut deeply into a Green Bay lead.

Although Bernard's touches have increased, going up from five in Week 1 to nine in Week 2 and to 14 in Week 3, for some, that still doesn't appear to be enough. Maybe when the Bengals face Cleveland on Sunday, Bernard fans ought to hope they end up in the red zone often.

According to ProFootballFocus.com, Bernard has averaged 3.0 yards before contact, compared to the 1.0 that Green-Ellis has averaged this season. The mostly edge-rushing Bernard also is averaging 2.0 yards after contact, compared to the 1.8 the more physical, interior-rushing Green-Ellis is averaging. Harris believes that's one reason why the Bengals used Bernard regularly in red zone scenarios last weekend.

The fact that Bernard has shown good hands and an ability to run after the catch and after contact bodes well for quarterback Andy Dalton, who has 36 passing touchdowns while in the red zone in the the last two-plus seasons.

Bernard has been stating his own case the last three weeks, but hopefully you now see that he isn't a sudden phenomenon. Once more of the offense is put in his hands, look out. I guarantee I won't be the only one proclaiming Giovani Bernard fandom.

Giovani Bernard played on 50 snaps while BenJarvus Green-Ellis played 18 in Sunday's loss to the Browns.
Interesting - it was clear based on the number of touches that Bernard was in there more, but didn't think it was that lopsided. Notably, the game was pretty close throughout, so one can't point to the team being in true catch-up mode where Bernard would get most of the work in the passing game.

It seems clear that the shift to Bernard has happened. While I doubt it, I do wonder in the short term if Marvin will throw a bone to BJGE next week by giving him much more work against his old team.

zamboni said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Giovani Bernard played on 50 snaps while BenJarvus Green-Ellis played 18 in Sunday's loss to the Browns.
Interesting - it was clear based on the number of touches that Bernard was in there more, but didn't think it was that lopsided. Notably, the game was pretty close throughout, so one can't point to the team being in true catch-up mode where Bernard would get most of the work in the passing game.

It seems clear that the shift to Bernard has happened. While I doubt it, I do wonder in the short term if Marvin will throw a bone to BJGE next week by giving him much more work against his old team.
I think BGE's final straw was that piss-poor attempt of a run on the 4th and 1. If he cant help there, he's worthless.

They might not but it remains to be true. AJ need someone that can sling it deep.............being from Ft. Worth I'm a Dalton fan but he is what is he.
How does Dalton's #'s stack up against Drew Brees after 2 yeras in the league? I'm not saying it to be sarcastic or implying that Dalton will be the next Brees but I'm just curious.
I'm not going to get into comparing QBs because that's not what I do. IMHO they need an upgrade at that position and IMHO Dalton is not that guy to take them to the next level. This is a different era from even when Brees first came on the scene and there's absolutely no comparison at this point so I'm not going there.

Matt Ryan threw a horrible deep ball until he started working on it after Julio got there. Give the kid time. It took Brees 4 years before he broke out and he looked horrible and lost the 2 years he started. He had weapons too, Gates, LT, David Boston. Boston was on the down side but still decent.

Matt Ryan threw a horrible deep ball until he started working on it after Julio got there. Give the kid time. It took Brees 4 years before he broke out and he looked horrible and lost the 2 years he started. He had weapons too, Gates, LT, David Boston. Boston was on the down side but still decent.
Brees' one bad year was 2003, when Gates was a raw rookie who hadn't played football since high school. I wouldn't count that as one of Brees' "weapons".

msudaisy26 said:
1. It has nothing to do with Matt Ryan.

2. You are waaaaayyyy of the mark and missing two real facts about Brees and that entire situation.

3. Let's respect that fact that this thread is officially about Gio. If you wish to start another thread about Dalton then let it be.

Let's just end this so we can move one.

1. There was nothing wrong with Brees, he just happen to be on a horrid team that drafted on of the best running backs in the game.

2. With that being said the LT had more carries than Brees had passing attempts EVERY year he was in SD........why? Because at that time the NFL run first sport and it there's was one running back carrying the load with an average back coming in to give him a breather or two.

3. Around the time Brees hit NO the game began to change to a QB league.........i.e. Pass oriented (which began around 2004 with 5 QB throwing over 4,000yds) Brees went to NO with Sean in 2006 and was the #1 pass QB in the NFL. That same year four other QBs threw for over 4,000 and the NFL being a copycat league began to change the way they ran their offense and slowly every year the value of running backs began to decline.

4. Can't fault Brees for having the best running back in the NFL who had more carries than Brees had pass attempts every year (again it was a different era).

5. SD was a run first Offense, NO is a pass first, this is a fact so let's end this and continue with our love for Gio. ;)

Giddy Up,

Tex

5. Brees blew up not because he wasn't good before he went to NO it was just a different style of game and coaching.

Getting back on topic: I think Gio is a top 5 dynasty back (PPR).
and you wouldn't be alone in that thinking. I guess the 2013 class wasn't so bad after all.
It is not completely barren of value and Bernard is likely the best prospect besides Eifert. But make no mistake the 2013 draft class is one of the worst I have seen for skill players in a long time. There are many WR who could emerge from this draft class but none of them are sure fire things either.

bernard is a little stick of dynamite...

the comps invoked earlier (westbrook and rice) have been pretty apt...

i think he doesn't run a 4.4, but neither did westbrook...

he has very good functional, playing speed...

and not the same thing, but powerful in combination, electric quickness and cutting ability...

probably not as strong as westbrook or able to break tackles, but gio is quicker and even shiftier than I remember westbrook being.

his outstanding receiving ability is also westbrook/rice-like (also faulk and reggie bush at his best, who were/are more dangerous because of their ability to not only catch out of the backfield, but line up, run routes and catch like a WR).

I live in a remote part of the world where I am unable to watch any NFL (really any US shows at all), so I am unable to see Giovani in action. These forums are my eyes!

The consensus here seems to be that this little fellow will be a top-10 back next year - guaranteed - and maybe even this year. And there is much talk about top-5 as well. It's amazing to me how quickly Cinci has turned from a fantasy wasteland into a potentially budding jaugernaut.

With all the good news... I am wondering if there are any contrary or at least cautionary voices in regards to this train? I am on board, but in weighing exactly where I would value Gio in regards to other top-tier rbs, I'd like to have a little more of a balanced view - if there is one.
I have been as impressed as anyone with Gio's start, but I'll play devil's advocate for you if that's what you're looking for.

In redraft, you just cannot rule out BJGE. I think this stays a time share and if I had to guess, I would say last week's snap distribution was either gameplan specific or tied to Ben's fumble. The Bengals still do not having passing to RBs (or even letting them run routes) as a key component to their offensive scheme. He's done well with the opportunities he's gotten in the passing game, but those opps are going to be limited indefinitely by the Gruden/Marvin regime IMO. I think the comparisons to Westbrook are dead on (way more than Rice IMO), but Westbrook played in an offense that catered to his skill set. I just can't see the Bengals suddenly overhauling what they do on offense to align with Gio.

Dynasty, sky's the limit. Kid can ball and the offense is there to help him put up big stats.

Im a Gio owner in re-draft. Really hoping this kid continues to get 50%+ of the touches in Cincy.

With a bum RB crew like this: Murray, Gio, Joique, Bradshaw and Bryce Brown..... yeah I really need Gio to pan out like i planned on draft day

This is his breakout week if you're in a PPR IMO. I'm expecting 20+ for Gio this week. First 100 yard game
20 + carries is wishful thinking

I'm a huge Gio fan but he isn't a volume guy
I don't think we can say for sure. All we know is that the staff likes/trusts him and have said during pre-season that he can be a 3-down back.

As for this weekend, he may not get 20+ carries, but against New England where they may be in catchup mode, he may get a lot of touches as a receiver.

I live in a remote part of the world where I am unable to watch any NFL (really any US shows at all), so I am unable to see Giovani in action. These forums are my eyes!

The consensus here seems to be that this little fellow will be a top-10 back next year - guaranteed - and maybe even this year. And there is much talk about top-5 as well. It's amazing to me how quickly Cinci has turned from a fantasy wasteland into a potentially budding jaugernaut.

With all the good news... I am wondering if there are any contrary or at least cautionary voices in regards to this train? I am on board, but in weighing exactly where I would value Gio in regards to other top-tier rbs, I'd like to have a little more of a balanced view - if there is one.
I have been as impressed as anyone with Gio's start, but I'll play devil's advocate for you if that's what you're looking for.

In redraft, you just cannot rule out BJGE. I think this stays a time share and if I had to guess, I would say last week's snap distribution was either gameplan specific or tied to Ben's fumble. The Bengals still do not having passing to RBs (or even letting them run routes) as a key component to their offensive scheme. He's done well with the opportunities he's gotten in the passing game, but those opps are going to be limited indefinitely by the Gruden/Marvin regime IMO. I think the comparisons to Westbrook are dead on (way more than Rice IMO), but Westbrook played in an offense that catered to his skill set. I just can't see the Bengals suddenly overhauling what they do on offense to align with Gio.

Dynasty, sky's the limit. Kid can ball and the offense is there to help him put up big stats.
Yes, cheese, thanks for posting... Was looking for what Gio's limits/downsides might be. I am hoping that you prove to be wrong in in your thoughts about Gruden/Marvin and that sooner rather than later, they will begin to adapt the offense to take advantage of Gio's skill set.

I play almost exclusively dynasty/keeper so my thoughts are more towards next year and beyond as Gio is currently on my bench. I have received some interesting offers for Gio, but so far have not accepted any as I am thinking I may want to keep him myself.

Yes, cheese, thanks for posting... Was looking for what Gio's limits/downsides might be. I am hoping that you prove to be wrong in in your thoughts about Gruden/Marvin and that sooner rather than later, they will begin to adapt the offense to take advantage of Gio's skill set.

I play almost exclusively dynasty/keeper so my thoughts are more towards next year and beyond as Gio is currently on my bench. I have received some interesting offers for Gio, but so far have not accepted any as I am thinking I may want to keep him myself.
yes good analysis I see what he was saying CIN doesn't do alot of routes to rbs and I think they may need to wake up and try to get GIO more in the Jamaal charles, reggie bush, darren sproles type of receiving game. He has the skills to be a great wr they need to get him more involved in the passing game quick, but like you say is Marvin gonna do that, probably not... 2-4 catches a game isn't bad with 15+ carries. I guess Im hoping for that he is my RB1

... I do wonder in the short term if Marvin will throw a bone to BJGE next week by giving him much more work against his old team.
I was hoping it wouldn't work out this way yesterday, but seemed clear that the team was committed to feeding BJGE yesterday (19 touches to 15 for Gio). Not sure if it was because they were playing the Pats, or the weather had some effect, but BJGE is not going away anytime soon. Even though he averaged his typical 3.5 YPC, the Bengals winning a hard fought game against a big time conference opponent will likely keep BJGE very much in the game plan. Seems like the stated 50/50 split - give or take - is what we can expect going forward.

Gio's fumble did not help his cause yesterday. When the Bengals are ahead and in sock-it-away mode they are going to have BJGE on the field. I do think that facing the Patriots was a factor with Law Firm's increased role yesterday (the Bengals have had pretty look fortune when they have a back facing their old club - see Benson, Cedric a few years ago). I also think that BJGE looked very good yesterday and that probably made it easier to have him work more. The Pats injuries on the line probably was something in Law Firm's favor as well encouraging more up the gut stuff. Ultimately it's going to be horse for courses with these two at this point.

-QG

There will be bumps in the road, folks. You have to know this... he's a rookie.

Also, I suspect the game called for a lot of BJGE hammering away at the soft belly of the Pats' defense without Vince Wilfork. It won't be like that every week.

Gio's fumble did not help his cause yesterday. When the Bengals are ahead and in sock-it-away mode they are going to have BJGE on the field. I do think that facing the Patriots was a factor with Law Firm's increased role yesterday (the Bengals have had pretty look fortune when they have a back facing their old club - see Benson, Cedric a few years ago). I also think that BJGE looked very good yesterday and that probably made it easier to have him work more. The Pats injuries on the line probably was something in Law Firm's favor as well encouraging more up the gut stuff. Ultimately it's going to be horse for courses with these two at this point.

-QG
Didn't know about the fumble - went to game log and it came about midway through the 4th quarter after he had 4 straight touches with solid yardage picked up. Good to see that Marvin was giving him clock-killing responsibilities - hopefully the fumble doesn't cause team brass to lose any confidence in him in those situations.

-QG
Didn't know about the fumble - went to game log and it came about midway through the 4th quarter after he had 4 straight touches with solid yardage picked up. Good to see that Marvin was giving him clock-killing responsibilities - hopefully the fumble doesn't cause team brass to lose any confidence in him in those situations.
Well I can tell you it did. Bernard was gone the rest of the game.

It also concerned me that BJGE was getting there short yardage and goaline carries again even though Bernard has been fantastic at them and BJGE hasn't really been that good. BJGE has ended up being successful a few times, but it's been mostly a result of being force fed at the goaline rather than doing a great job converting.

-QG
Well I can tell you it did. Bernard was gone the rest of the game.
All 3:26 of it.

Guys, everyone needs to chillax and realize he will still have some big moments this year. Actually, I see him having a nice game against the Bills this week.

PFF has Bio ranked as their number 3 overall RB through 5 weeks. That's a pretty good indication that he's doing something good with the ball just about every time he touches it.

PFF has Bio ranked as their number 3 overall RB through 5 weeks. That's a pretty good indication that he's doing something good with the ball just about every time he touches it.
Except fumbling while trying to nurse the clock late in the fourth quarter. :(

Users who are viewing this thread