What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (2 Viewers)

What's kinda crazy to me about Bernard is that I didn't see this crazy athleticism in college. I wasn't a huge fan. I think he looks better now than he did against college competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rib injury Gio Bernard sustained in Thursday night's loss at Miami is not expected to be serious. :excited: Bernard was on his way to a monster game with 15 touches for 105 yards and two touchdowns before taking a shot to the ribs in the fourth quarter. He was in pain on the sidelines, jogged to the locker room and then emerged to watch overtime from the sidelines with his pads still on. It sounds like some kind of bruise or maybe a slight fracture. The electric Bernard has a long week to get ready for a Week 10 game at Baltimore. For now, consider him questionable.

Hes kind of a Tiki-Barber like with the low center of gravity running style, but more like McCoy with his elusiveness and speed.

The kid stays healthy and I'll be targeting him in drafts to come, thats for sure. Here's to hoping he can keep my playoff push afloat this year.

Looked like Lesean McCoy on that run. He's got game.
Yep thats his best comparison imo. Not fantastic straight out speed like a Charles but amazing short area quickness, burst and change of direction.
He doesn't have McCoy blend of speed and power (yet), but he reminds me a lot of Westbrook in his ability to make people miss.
He may not be at that level yet but he's far better than Lesean was his rookie year

in order NFL career rushing leaders

1) emmitt smith 5'9" 210 lbs.

2) walter payton 5'10" 200 lbs.

3) barry sanders 5'8" 203 lbs.

4) curtis martin 5'11" 210 lbs.

8) tony dorsett 5'11" 192 lbs.

10) marshall faulk 5'10" 211 lbs

wow, you were right ITS, it is extremely rare for RBs around 208 lbs to have success in the NFL (60% of the top 10).

* gio may not be tall, but he is put together like a brick outhouse.
Magaw destroys ITS. The best longterm RBs in the NFL are short compact guys.

Hope he's OK.

Unfortunately, had him on my bench last night, but much happier to see him explode on national TV than not at all.

Also makes me feel much better about drafting Gio over Lacy - have been kicking myself the past several weeks.

Rotoworld:

The rib injury Gio Bernard sustained in Thursday night's loss at Miami is not expected to be serious.
Bernard was on his way to a monster game with 15 touches for 105 yards and two touchdowns before taking a shot to the ribs in the fourth quarter. He was in pain on the sidelines, jogged to the locker room and then emerged to watch overtime from the sidelines with his pads still on. It sounds like some kind of bruise or maybe a slight fracture. The electric Bernard has a long week to get ready for a Week 10 game at Baltimore. For now, consider him questionable.

Source: Mike Silver on Twitter

After his performance Thursady, what do you feel his role is going forward for the ROS? Do you see a transition from BGE to Gio or does the split remain the same?

After his performance Thursady, what do you feel his role is going forward for the ROS? Do you see a transition from BGE to Gio or does the split remain the same?
Think it remains the same. Even after his run, BGE was right back in there.
I own him in both dynasty and redraft. In redraft, I'm trying to sell high on him to whomever will listen.
This is where I'm at (redraft). Who or what level player are you looking at in return, assuming you're looking to move him for a wide receiver?

I belive A. Jeffery' should be doable, maybe Fitz.

I own him in both dynasty and redraft. In redraft, I'm trying to sell high on him to whomever will listen.
This is where I'm at (redraft). Who or what level player are you looking at in return, assuming you're looking to move him for a wide receiver?

I'm thinking this too, although CIN plays @PIT and vs. MIN in Weeks 15 and 16 ... so if you can afford to hold him, it may be worth it...

I'm thinking this too, although CIN plays @PIT and vs. MIN in Weeks 15 and 16 ... so if you can afford to hold him, it may be worth it...
Nope, can't afford to hold beyond this weekend and feel now is the best time peddle him. i could gamble that he takes over primary rb duties, but I just don't see that happening. I've deleted my WR bench building my roster and now must replensh.

Currently have offers out for Dobson and A. Jeffery's, though my preference is Jeffery's.

You guys are trading the #10 overall RB for jeffrey, fitz, and dobson? Can i have some of what youre smoking?

Despite all of the excitement last week, I'm not exactly giddy thinking about his matchup at Baltimore this week. His ribs are banged up, the Ravens need a win desperately, they have the #7 rush defense and they have only given up one rushing TD all year. This one looks like a stinker for Gio.

Im trying to shift him as well. He's on my bench behind Forte, Moreno and Murray and I have been proven to be god awful at picking which games to start him in. He's far too bust prone if you are picking and choosing when to play him and missing out on the occasional booms.

Packaging him up with one of my decent WRs ( Fitz or garçon ) since I have Allen, Gordon and V Jax and trying to get in Lacy to improve starting team.

Actually he's 13th in my league. Truth be told, I'd rather not but I have to bolster my WR's and have no other pieces to peddle. I can always work the WW but it's slim pickings as you might guess. He's on my bench behind Charles, Gore and, Stacey.

I cut myself short today by trading Bush and Gordon for Charles, leaving me with absoluetly zero on the bench for depth at WR behind K. Allen, Decker and J. Graham (start 3), Now looking back, I should have stood pat,

Jefferys currently sits at #11 in our league and his numbers actually mirror Gio's pretty well,

Gio for Jeffreys was declined, He went Welker for Jackson. To me, Gio for Jeffreys > Jackson for Welker; but oh well. :kicksrock:

Time to pound the WW.

What's kinda crazy to me about Bernard is that I didn't see this crazy athleticism in college. I wasn't a huge fan. I think he looks better now than he did against college competition.
I saw nothing but athleticism in his college days! He just didn't have the hype that most some did coming out of college. I could not believe he fell to me at the #5 pick.

I saw nothing but athleticism in his college days! He just didn't have the hype that most some did coming out of college. I could not believe he fell to me at the #5 pick.
Maybe it was A.J. Green syndrome--he made it look so effortless, that it looked like he wasn't doing anything special.

Boomer1 said:
Remains the same

Well I think Cincy losing their best Defensive player will allow other teams to put up more points. This should force the Bengals to open things up to keep pace, and leave less opportunity to grind put the clock with BJGE. This is good for Gio.

It's like Faust doesn't even read my posts.

:kicksrock:
:bag:

Whoops, sorry RN !!!!
Hopefully this will make it up:

TECMO remix: Giovani Bernard
00:30 – Cincinnati Bengals running back Giovani Bernard's 35-yard touchdown in Week 9 against the Miami Dolphins is recreated, courtesy of tecmobowl.org.
he was actually much slower in the game then real life and didn't have to make that many people miss that quick as he was around the corner when he was reversing field quite quickly, no wasted space and didn't have to really juke until the 20 not 30.

Raider Nation said:
Despite all of the excitement last week, I'm not exactly giddy thinking about his matchup at Baltimore this week. His ribs are banged up, the Ravens need a win desperately, they have the #7 rush defense and they have only given up one rushing TD all year. This one looks like a stinker for Gio.
how many times have we said this about other matchups to come away Surprised as all hell when he puts up 30 points. This feels like one of them games where he has a nice day on a lot of peeps benches. He won't be on mine and I hope to Reap the reward.

TartanLion said:
Im trying to shift him as well. He's on my bench behind Forte, Moreno and Murray and I have been proven to be god awful at picking which games to start him in. He's far too bust prone if you are picking and choosing when to play him and missing out on the occasional booms.

Packaging him up with one of my decent WRs ( Fitz or garçon ) since I have Allen, Gordon and V Jax and trying to get in Lacy to improve starting team.
as of now I like Gio over murray but def not Forte/moreno.

TartanLion said:

as of now I like Gio over murray but def not Forte/moreno.
Gio/Garcon for Lacy is not a good deal... Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boomer1 said:
Actually he's 13th in my league. Truth be told, I'd rather not but I have to bolster my WR's and have no other pieces to peddle. I can always work the WW but it's slim pickings as you might guess. He's on my bench behind Charles, Gore and, Stacey.

I cut myself short today by trading Bush and Gordon for Charles, leaving me with absoluetly zero on the bench for depth at WR behind K. Allen, Decker and J. Graham (start 3), Now looking back, I should have stood pat,

Jefferys currently sits at #11 in our league and his numbers actually mirror Gio's pretty well,
Did you just say you cut yourself short by trading Gordon/Bush for Charles??????????????????? let me get this straight :jawdrop:

Maybe it was A.J. Green syndrome--he made it look so effortless, that it looked like he wasn't doing anything special.
Don Mega syndrome... Being a beast that NO ONE can handle.

Boomer1 said:

Did you just say you cut yourself short by trading Gordon/Bush for Charles??????????????????? let me get this straight :jawdrop:
Bush/Charles are both top-3 RB's in my PPR league, when you look at PPG...

Boomer1 said:

yea true but he said Dynasty. JC is a helluva lot more valuable in a dynasty ppr. It's miles not inches my friend.

Boomer1 said:

yea true but he said Dynasty. JC is a helluva lot more valuable in a dynasty ppr. It's miles not inches my friend.
Where did he say dynasty? I don't see it in that post, otherwise I'd agree with you. Although Gordon is very valuable as well.Edit: Higher up the page he talks about the same league/roster and says it's redraft.

Boomer1 said:

Where did he say dynasty? I don't see it in that post, otherwise I'd agree with you. Although Gordon is very valuable as well.Edit: Higher up the page he talks about the same league/roster and says it's redraft.
Ok my fault then, misunderstood and was thinking Dynasty. Either way I love the deal and bush still has inj risk and gordon is inconsistent.

Boomer1 said:

Correct, redraft. Non-PPR.

Charles is number 1 in the league, bush is 8. While that may not seem like a big difference, what I look for is consistancy. Bush will score 25 just as likely as he will score 6. Charles has been the definition of consistent only scoring in single digits once.

As indicated above, looking at it now, I should have sat tight, not because of the RBS involved but because of the lack of depth I have at WR.

As an FYI - while I loved Gordon, I often sat him behind Decker, K Allen and graham.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Thursday, Bengals OC Jay Gruden hinted he expects Giovani Bernard's role to remain the same going forward.
Bernard is averaging 12.3 touches per game. "Some of these guys, it's important for them to be fresh, fast," Gruden said. "That's the way he is. He needs to have full stamina and be fresh coming out of the backfield running fast because that's what he is. If he's tired after his 17th, 18th carry and all of a sudden he becomes a 4.8 guy and tired, he becomes an ordinary guy. But when he's fresh and spelling (BenJarvus Green-Ellis), they kind of feed off each other I think." There's no real reason to believe Bernard's effectiveness would fall off with a bigger workload, but so it goes. Even with his touches being rationed, Bernard remains on the RB2 radar.

Related: BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Source: Joe Reedy on Twitter

obviously the bungals are to dumb to give Gio 15-20 touches, that would cause them to win. They are addicted to BJGE plodding ways...... arians and marv lewis are some dip####s man, I think they went to How to not handle stud rookie rbs school. Who was the teacher??? Oh Todd haley

You know, I've been thinking about this. The very reason I was scared about using Gio (Baltimore's excellent rushing defense) is the very reason we SHOULD use him. Law Firm's typical 1.8 YPC should amount to about 5 inches per carry against the Ravens. So if you are Jay Gruden, do you keep banging your head against a brick wall in the run game, or do you find another way to get production from the RB position? Dump-offs and screen passes... that's how a RB will be effective against Baltimore, and it ain't gonna be BJGE on the receiving end. Gio could have a nice day as a receiver.

I just wish we knew that the ribs weren't going to limit him too much. :( If he takes a shot early and leaves the game, we are screwed.

Users who are viewing this thread