What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Every-Down Linebacker Thread (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
This thread will (eventually) be linked in the pinned IDP Warehouse thread and will be bumped with every update to this initial post (usually on Wednesdays) during the regular season. We've proven in recent seasons that dismissing the importance of knowing which linebackers come off the field on passing downs is a recipe for statistical disaster. Backers who don't play in their team's subpackages often miss at least 40% of their team's defensive snaps over a full season and may miss 70-80% of their team's snaps in any given week. I'll use a combination of film study and internet resources to confirm these names during the season, but during the preseason months, this list will be my best guess at which backers would play every down if the season started today. For the purposes of discussion, we’ll list any linebacker expected to take at least 80% of his team’s snaps each week regardless of subpackage usage. Recent week's changes (inseason) in BOLD.

[unclear situations in brackets]

Baltimore: Terrell Suggs, Daryl Smith

Buffalo: Kiko Alonso

Cincinnati: Vontaze Burfict

Cleveland: D'Qwell Jackson, Paul Kruger, Craig Robertson

Denver: Wes Woodyard [Von Miller (susp)]

Houston: Brian Cushing, Brooks Reed, Whitney Mercilus

Indianapolis: Jerrell Freeman, [Pat Angerer-inj], Robert Mathis

Jacksonville: Paul Posluszny, Geno Hayes

Kansas City: Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Justin Houston

Miami:: Dannell Ellerbe, Philip Wheeler

New England: Jerod Mayo, Dont'a Hightower

New York Jets: David Harris, Demario Davis, Calvin Pace

Oakland: Nick Roach, Kevin Burnett

Pittsburgh: Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley

San Diego: Reggie Walker [Donald Butler-inj], Jarrett Johnson [Manti Te'o (inj)]

Tennessee: Moise Fokou

Arizona: Karlos Dansby [Daryl Washington (susp)]

Atlanta: Joplo Bartu

Carolina: Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis

Chicago: Lance Briggs, James Anderson

Dallas: Sean Lee, Bruce Carter

Detroit: Stephen Tulloch, DeAndre Levy

Green Bay: Brad Jones, Clay Matthews

Minnesota: Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson

New Orleans: Curtis Lofton

New York Giants:

Philadelphia: DeMeco Ryans, Mychal Kendricks, Connor Barwin [Trent Cole]

St. Louis: James Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree

San Francisco: Michael Wilhoite [Patrick Willis-inj], Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks

Seattle: KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner

Tampa Bay: Lavonte David [Mason Foster in most packages]

Washington: London Fletcher, Perry Riley, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jene,

Not fully up to speed on Dan Connor in pass pro, but I take it -- from what you have listed below -- he's out of the question for sub-package work, even if he wins the MLB job?

New York Giants: [Mark Herzlich, Keith Rivers, Jacquian Williams]

How good of a fit is Brooks Reed on the inside?
I'd like to see him in that role to make an educated evaluation, but I think he'd be okay.

Hey Jene,

Not fully up to speed on Dan Connor in pass pro, but I take it -- from what you have listed below -- he's out of the question for sub-package work, even if he wins the MLB job?

Possible, but I think it's unlikely. I didn't list Spencer Paysinger either; he got some subpackage snaps, too.

How good of a fit is Brooks Reed on the inside?
I'd like to see him in that role to make an educated evaluation, but I think he'd be okay.

>Hey Jene,

Possible, but I think it's unlikely. I didn't list Spencer Paysinger either; he got some subpackage snaps, too.
Paysinger yes. Go DUCKS!

Do you think there's a chance that Sio Moore pushes Burnett or Roach for subpackage snaps in Oakland sir? For that matter, does he start in your opinion?

Jets | Quinton Coples likes new position Fri May 3, 09:58 AM

New York Jets LB Quinton Coples said he believes his switch to outside linebacker should allow him to make more plays in 2013. After weighing 290 pounds last year as a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme, Coples is down to 285 pounds and said he expects to play between 280-285 pounds this upcoming season. 'I feel good,' Coples said of the switch. 'I think it's definitely going to open up more opportunities for me to get to the quarterback and also show my athleticism and drop into coverage.'

Not sure, but I dont see how all those LBs listed are every down, especially when they will reportedly be playing at least some 4-3 sets with Coples at end.

Would assume in nickel or dime, one or two of those guys will be off the field. Coples has a chance to be added to that list, even if as a DE at times, though.

Thanks for the info Jene! Got a question for ya; Do you see Arthur Brown taking hold of the Ray Lewis spot this season?

This thread will (eventually) be linked in the pinned IDP Warehouse thread and will be bumped with every update to this initial post (usually on Wednesdays) during the regular season.Chicago: Lance Briggs [DJ Williams]
Can anyone comment on the odds DJ Williams is not a three down linebacker? He seems like a lock to me, but I'm interested in other's thoughts.

Late225 said:
This thread will (eventually) be linked in the pinned IDP Warehouse thread and will be bumped with every update to this initial post (usually on Wednesdays) during the regular season.Chicago: Lance Briggs [DJ Williams]
Can anyone comment on the odds DJ Williams is not a three down linebacker? He seems like a lock to me, but I'm interested in other's thoughts.
Suppose it depends also on what they do with Bostic. Bostic could play 1st and 2nd down with DJ rotating in on third, ruining the value of both.

Late225 said:
This thread will (eventually) be linked in the pinned IDP Warehouse thread and will be bumped with every update to this initial post (usually on Wednesdays) during the regular season.

Chicago: Lance Briggs [DJ Williams]
Suppose it depends also on what they do with Bostic. Bostic could play 1st and 2nd down with DJ rotating in on third, ruining the value of both.
Here is one recent article on Bostic

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/5/4/4300324/chicago-bears-jon-bostic-nfl-draft-future-outlook

Late225 said:
This thread will (eventually) be linked in the pinned IDP Warehouse thread and will be bumped with every update to this initial post (usually on Wednesdays) during the regular season.

Chicago: Lance Briggs [DJ Williams]
Hey Late225,

Found an interesting article talking about the different sinarios of what could happen with Williams and Bostic below.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/5/4/4300324/chicago-bears-jon-bostic-nfl-draft-future-outlook

But I think in your questions (and the breakdown of the article above) sum up Williams this year. Basically, even if he wins a starting 3 down job in the middle fantasy owners need to prepare for a role change at any given time. He could move to strong, he could play in sub-packages, he could show regression physically or not recover well from injury (maybe why he was taking drugs in the past that got him in trouble), oh knows.

I suppose it's fair to view him as a low-end LB3 or LB4 on draft day, with a respectable chance of LB2 production, if he does win the 3 down job out of camp.

Add it up, we will be listening to Bramel, Norton and the boys for insightful information during training camp.

isn't Alexander Lorenzo an every down LBer?
Could be, but where he will play (OLB, ILB) has yet to be determined from what I've heard. I'm sure he will get plenty of work inside during camps with Washington's situation and having a rookie linebacker, all be it a good one, but a rookie to work with Brinkley.

Late225 said:
Definitely possible, but geez, Williams will have to have really fallen off.

Do you think there's a chance that Sio Moore pushes Burnett or Roach for subpackage snaps in Oakland sir? For that matter, does he start in your opinion?
Moore will start if he outplays Miles Burris in camp. That's a definite possibility, but it's too soon to assume. I think Moore will be an every-down player in time, but it'll be difficult for him to push Burnett or Roach yet. If he does this year, it'll make him a very attractive target.

Not sure, but I dont see how all those LBs listed are every down, especially when they will reportedly be playing at least some 4-3 sets with Coples at end.Would assume in nickel or dime, one or two of those guys will be off the field. Coples has a chance to be added to that list, even if as a DE at times, though.
It's going to be tight now. With Coples moving to LB, the only two defensive linemen worthy of a pass rushing role are Wilkerson and Richardson. We could see a lot of 2-4-5 (or 3-3-5 alignments) with four backers on the field. I think Harris and Davis stay on the field. We may now have a three headed OLB rotation with Coples and Antwan Barnes joining Pace. If I were to redo the list today, I think I'd leave it the same, assuming a rotation of Coples and Barnes primarily.

We'll see if mini-camps give us an indication of the pecking order.

Thanks for the info Jene! Got a question for ya; Do you see Arthur Brown taking hold of the Ray Lewis spot this season?
It's not a lock, but I think Brown is the best every-down inside linebacker on the roster. He's likely to win the WILB/MLB role, yes.

Late225 said:
I still think Williams ends up playing that role, but he's got competition. Jon Bostic, Khaseem Greene and James Anderson will challenge for subpackage snaps. I may be overrating the risk, but I'm probably only 70-30 confident that Williams is in the nickel package on opening weekend.

isn't Alexander Lorenzo an every down LBer?
It's likely he will be during the first month of the season. But the Cardinals targeted Kevin Minter, who I think has shown enough to project to a starting SILB job at minimum -- and potentially a subpackage role, too -- early in his career. It's a situation to watch closely. I think we'll have a good idea of how Week 5 will play out even before the season begins.

Any word on Malcolm Smith (Seahawks)? I've seen indicators that suggest he'll be taking over at WLB this season. Can anyone confirm?

Pre-camp update in Post 1.

Huge feature with commentary nearly complete for next week's Reading the Defense column.

I know Sio Moore has a lot of IDP owners interested but dont forget that Miles Burris did rack up just short of 100 combined tackles in what was his rookie year. I see Roach as the MLB, Moore as the SLB, and Burris stays as the WLB.

I know Sio Moore has a lot of IDP owners interested but dont forget that Miles Burris did rack up just short of 100 combined tackles in what was his rookie year. I see Roach as the MLB, Moore as the SLB, and Burris stays as the WLB.
Yeah, will be interesting to see what happens here. Roach should be in the middle, but after that things could get interesting.

I have a hard time believing Kevin Burnett won't win a starting job to begin the season. If Burris is one the weak-side, I have to wonder if Burnett will open the year on the strong-side and Moore may have to wait until an injury happens or the Raiders fall out of playoff contention and they just go with the kid over the veteran.

Love Moore and own him in dynasty leagues, but I wouldn't expect him to win the job right away. Then again.... if he does with the job, I guess we will have to say his OTA success wasn't just talk and he's ready right now to make a big impact. We will see, but I'm passing on him in deep redraft leagues at this time.

Yeah, will be interesting to see what happens here. Roach should be in the middle, but after that things could get interesting.

I have a hard time believing Kevin Burnett won't win a starting job to begin the season. If Burris is one the weak-side, I have to wonder if Burnett will open the year on the strong-side and Moore may have to wait until an injury happens or the Raiders fall out of playoff contention and they just go with the kid over the veteran.

Love Moore and own him in dynasty leagues, but I wouldn't expect him to win the job right away. Then again.... if he does with the job, I guess we will have to say his OTA success wasn't just talk and he's ready right now to make a big impact. We will see, but I'm passing on him in deep redraft leagues at this time.
Moore is more of a stash rigth now, don't expect him to win over Burnett or Roach but he could get on the field over Burris. FF stats don't always show good NFL production.

Raiders LB Miles Burris is missing time at OTAs after an offseason knee surgery.
It's believed he underwent surgery in January, although the extent of the operation was never revealed. "Scopes" don't usually sideline players for four months. Burris has lost his starting job after Oakland's offseason linebacker signings. A 2012 fourth-round pick, he struggled mightily as a rookie. May 20 - 2:25 PM

Raiders WLB Miles Burris underwent an offseason knee procedure.
GM Reggie McKenzie gave no details on the surgery. Taking over the weak-side position from Aaron Curry, the fourth-rounder started all 16 games as a rookie. Burris graded out as the NFL's least effective 4-3 outside linebacker in Pro Football Focus' ratings. Jan 17 - 7:05 PM

Moore is more of a stash rigth now, don't expect him to win over Burnett or Roach but he could get on the field over Burris. FF stats don't always show good NFL production.

Raiders LB Miles Burris is missing time at OTAs after an offseason knee surgery.
It's believed he underwent surgery in January, although the extent of the operation was never revealed. "Scopes" don't usually sideline players for four months. Burris has lost his starting job after Oakland's offseason linebacker signings. A 2012 fourth-round pick, he struggled mightily as a rookie. May 20 - 2:25 PM

Raiders WLB Miles Burris underwent an offseason knee procedure.
GM Reggie McKenzie gave no details on the surgery. Taking over the weak-side position from Aaron Curry, the fourth-rounder started all 16 games as a rookie. Burris graded out as the NFL's least effective 4-3 outside linebacker in Pro Football Focus' ratings. Jan 17 - 7:05 PM
Yeah, forgot about Burris's injury, and yes the 100 tackles is misleading in terms of NFL play and it's not like he was hurting for opportunities to rack that number up.

Was going to say originally that if I had to choose someone to sit it would be Burris over Roach and Burnett. I think that will be the case, and we've heard Bramel and others talk about how Moore could play any of the three linebacker positions in time, so weak-side is possible. Will be interesting to watch what he's doing in camp next month.

As much as I try to follow my IDP guys I was totally unaware of Burris having a procedure. And I totally agree on the "FF stats dont always translate" comment so I might have to re-think keeping him on my roster. Thanks for the heads up!

Burris graded out as the NFL's least effective 4-3 outside linebacker in Pro Football Focus' ratings. Jan 17 - 7:05 PM
I would keep in mind he is a rookie and most do not have the season Kuechly or Wagner had.

From NBC Bay Area

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Raiders-Burris-Will-Have-to-Fight-for-Starting-Job-211204931.html

Linebacker Miles Burris was one of the good stories in a bad season.

The rookie from San Diego State was a fourth-round draft selection by the Raiders in 2012, then won a starting job at outside linebacker in summer training camp.

He played all 16 games and had 62 tackles, one interception and 1½ sacks, and had an attitude and energy his teammates and coaches admired.

But things change quickly in the NFL, and as the Raiders opened a mandatory three-day minicamp Tuesday, Burris for now is out of the picture as a starter.

Following knee surgery in January, Burris is still recovering and unable to participate. He’s expected to be ready by the start of training camp in July, but when he comes back, it appears Oakland hasthree starters already in place.

According to Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group, former Chicago Bear Nick Roach is at middle linebacker and rookie Sio Moore and free-agent pickup Kevin Burnett are on the outside.

That doesn’t mean that Burris has no chance to win back his job by opening day. But the competition will be much stiffer than it was last season when Burris essentially won the position when Aaron Curry missed training camp.

This offseason, the Raiders signed three free-agent linebackers: Roach, Burnett and Kaluka Maiava and drafted Moore from Connecticut, a player they are very high on.

Raiders head coach Dennis Allen says that doesn’t mean Burris isn’t in their plans. The team just wanted to bring in more talent at the position.

“We just went out and signed three new linebackers, but we have Miles Burris, who we think is a starting-caliber linebacker,” Allen said before the team added Moore in April. “So now we feel like we have four starting-caliber linebackers. That, one, makes us better from a competition standpoint. All of those guys are going to compete for an opportunity to play. And it makes us better from a depth standpoint and it makes us better from a standpoint of, if we’re only counting on three linebackers all the time, somebody has to have a greater role on special teams.

“The more competition there is, the better we’re going to be.”

The extent of Burris’ surgery and rehab isn’t certain. The team has been quiet about it. But the Raiders very much liked what they saw of Burris’ play in 2012. When he comes back, he’s likely to be in the mix, challenging Burnett or Moore for playing time.

Allen, in fact, spoke highly of Burris last season.

“In terms of his energy, it’s been there the whole time,” Allen said at the end of the season. “He’s the type of player that we’re looking for. He loves football, he’s willing to work and he’s got a team attitude. Those are the characteristics of the guys that we’re really looking for, and he fits that mold to a ‘T.’ ”

Defensive coordinator Jason Tarver, too, loved the fact that Burris showed football smarts as a rookie. He was a quick study and Tarver said Burris is the type of player the Raiders want “to build around.”

“Miles loves contact and loves football, like we’ve said from day one,” Tarver told reporters. “The guys respond to him because when he makes a mistake, he really wants to know how to get it right and rarely does he repeat the mistake.”

Burris graded out as the NFL's least effective 4-3 outside linebacker in Pro Football Focus' ratings. Jan 17 - 7:05 PM
I would keep in mind he is a rookie and most do not have the season Kuechly or Wagner had.

From NBC Bay Area

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Raiders-Burris-Will-Have-to-Fight-for-Starting-Job-211204931.html

Linebacker Miles Burris was one of the good stories in a bad season.

The rookie from San Diego State was a fourth-round draft selection by the Raiders in 2012, then won a starting job at outside linebacker in summer training camp.

He played all 16 games and had 62 tackles, one interception and 1½ sacks, and had an attitude and energy his teammates and coaches admired.

But things change quickly in the NFL, and as the Raiders opened a mandatory three-day minicamp Tuesday, Burris for now is out of the picture as a starter.

Following knee surgery in January, Burris is still recovering and unable to participate. He’s expected to be ready by the start of training camp in July, but when he comes back, it appears Oakland hasthree starters already in place.

According to Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group, former Chicago Bear Nick Roach is at middle linebacker and rookie Sio Moore and free-agent pickup Kevin Burnett are on the outside.

That doesn’t mean that Burris has no chance to win back his job by opening day. But the competition will be much stiffer than it was last season when Burris essentially won the position when Aaron Curry missed training camp.

This offseason, the Raiders signed three free-agent linebackers: Roach, Burnett and Kaluka Maiava and drafted Moore from Connecticut, a player they are very high on.

Raiders head coach Dennis Allen says that doesn’t mean Burris isn’t in their plans. The team just wanted to bring in more talent at the position.

“We just went out and signed three new linebackers, but we have Miles Burris, who we think is a starting-caliber linebacker,” Allen said before the team added Moore in April. “So now we feel like we have four starting-caliber linebackers. That, one, makes us better from a competition standpoint. All of those guys are going to compete for an opportunity to play. And it makes us better from a depth standpoint and it makes us better from a standpoint of, if we’re only counting on three linebackers all the time, somebody has to have a greater role on special teams.

“The more competition there is, the better we’re going to be.”

The extent of Burris’ surgery and rehab isn’t certain. The team has been quiet about it. But the Raiders very much liked what they saw of Burris’ play in 2012. When he comes back, he’s likely to be in the mix, challenging Burnett or Moore for playing time.

Allen, in fact, spoke highly of Burris last season.

“In terms of his energy, it’s been there the whole time,” Allen said at the end of the season. “He’s the type of player that we’re looking for. He loves football, he’s willing to work and he’s got a team attitude. Those are the characteristics of the guys that we’re really looking for, and he fits that mold to a ‘T.’ ”

Defensive coordinator Jason Tarver, too, loved the fact that Burris showed football smarts as a rookie. He was a quick study and Tarver said Burris is the type of player the Raiders want “to build around.”

“Miles loves contact and loves football, like we’ve said from day one,” Tarver told reporters. “The guys respond to him because when he makes a mistake, he really wants to know how to get it right and rarely does he repeat the mistake.”
Nice work here. Bramel be sure to put a little star next to 3optic's name for this work!

Maybe even give him one of those scratch and sniff stickers you like so much. :goodposting:

i have a pretty high opinion on him as i just drafted him.............but what does everyone else think of KJ wright now that he is a WLB?
I really think that Seattle will be base " nickel" most of the time, using Winfield as short corner. If Irvin can give any sort of pressure from the stand up SLB spot, Wright is limited to 2 downs, if that.

Irvin's suspended for 4 games to begin the year, so he won't be providing anything for at least the first month.
Good point, completely forgot about this. Maybe Wright's play locks him into the 3 down role, but my feeling is still that the Seahawks have a top secondary, and it's 5 deep.

Winfield's strengths make them a great candidate to play the most nickel of any team in the league. Wagner is a lock to stay on the field, and any possible rotation at the other LB spot in nickel duties kills Wrights value, IMO. Seattle is in a situation where they can use that position based on situation and still have their top players on the field.

Last week's RTD focused on projecting each team's every-down linebackers (with commentary) as we enter training camp.

I'll update the initial post after the first camp practices this weekend.

KJ is too good not to play in the nickel. Reports are that Pete and the hawks luv km and what his size and range can do from the weak side. Irvin won't play in the least bit on where kj is on in nickel sits. If its a passing down Bennet will slide inside to DT and the other 3 rangy trio of Irvin/Clemons/avril will slide in around the LOS and disrupt in some form or another. Pete adapts and puts his best players out there and KJ is one of them that will stay on the field.

can we get a player spotlight on the Giants LB'ing situation? recent reports of Jacquian taking on a fulltime role. I know many of us rode him for a bit a few years ago.

I think people expecting Brown to be the second coming may have to wait, he may not even be able to beat out Daryl Smith, at least this year. In Atlanta, you may want to keep an eye on Paul Worrilow at MLB, Dent is no world beater and Nicholas has usually played OLB and he is old and been written off at least once before. Worrilow played with the two's and had 11 tackles and was the talk of the locker room after the game. I am certainly not saying he is going to win the job, but I do think he is in the running and definitely worth keeping an eye on.

http://blog.atlantafalcons.com/jayadams/2013/08/09/worrilow-makes-surprise-impact-vs-bengals/

My guess will be that Smith is one starter but even though Brown is listed as his backup, could they play alongside each other?

My guess will be that Smith is one starter but even though Brown is listed as his backup, could they play alongside each other?
I would think so, and by the end of the year he may be in that role, I am just saying to keep realistic expectations for Brown, there are not many Kuechly's and David's that come along.

What's the status of Dent vs Nicholas in Atlanta?
Still think Dent has upper hand, but won't know for certain until Weatherspoon is active in a preseason game. Not much coming out of ATL media as usual.

Was a good sign to see that Ravens already trusting Brown with first team in subpackages. Wouldn't think it'll be long until he overtakes Bynes in the base. Smith is probably competing with McClain and it won't be a competition if Smith plays well and McClain can't get back on the field.

Posted here about the usage of Daryl Smith, Josh Bynes and Arthur Brown last night, reviewing the first few series. If that holds true for the season, Daryl Smith is the every down LB. Bynes is weak side for base formation or rushing downs. Brown in for nickel and passing downs.

read from rotowire blurbs and a few tweets that Angerer is running as a starter now. i haven't confirmed and ask if anyone has any knowledge if he is still platooning with Connor(or even Shepherd) in any fashion or is holding down everydown?

read from rotowire blurbs and a few tweets that Angerer is running as a starter now. i haven't confirmed and ask if anyone has any knowledge if he is still platooning with Connor(or even Shepherd) in any fashion or is holding down everydown?
He didn't play in passing downs, as far as I could see during the Giants-Colts game.

He didn't play in passing downs, as far as I could see during the Giants-Colts game.
And he was playing SILB, not the sexier WILB (Freeman was).

he was a tackle monster as the MLB in a 4-3. Personally, not sure if he is rosterable in much more than deep leagues.

Are we still assuming that Bostic is only a two down guy? Even if he is, could he become a three down LB a bit later in the year and break out like Wagner last year?

Are we still assuming that Bostic is only a two down guy? Even if he is, could he become a three down LB a bit later in the year and break out like Wagner last year?
Just my opinion. But I think Bostic is still too raw to be a 3 down lb this year. Barring injury, Briggs is a no brainer and you have Anderson who has played 3 downs in Carolina and DJ Williams (although hurt) who also has play 3 downs.

I think next season will be Bostics year.

Users who are viewing this thread