What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL 3 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

3.05 Peyton Manning

18.12 Brock Osweiler

I view Manning as a top 3 QB this year. I wanted a solid backup, but didn't like the way the backup QB's flew off the board. By the time round 8 got here, there were only scraps left. I wasn't going to draft a QB 25-32 over a solid RB or WR. So I decided to wait on Osweiler so I wouldn't get a zero each week if Manning went down. Osweiler will probably outscore the QB 25-32 anyway. Granted, I have nothing week 9 and that sucks. If week 9 doesn't knock me out, I have no problem living or dying with Manning each week. Grade: B because of no backup.

1.05 Doug Martin

7.05 Montee Ball

8.12 Shane Vereen

9.05 DeAngelo Williams

16.12 Willis McGahee

Martin is a rock solid top 5 RB. One of either Ball or Vereen should be a decent #2 each week. If Woodhead can finish as a top 25 RB, then I see no reason why Vereen can't be top 20. The sky is the limit for Ball. But with John Fox as his head coach, I'm a little worried about his workload. When I drafted DWill, I really thought I got a bargain because Carolina would finally release him. Well, he restructured his contract to stay with the team. WTF Carolina. He was a good RB3 last year and now I have to hope he can do that again this year. As my RB4, I'm good with it. I was surprised McGahee was still around at the end of round 16, so I grabbed him. If Denver can fit him under the cap, then they probably keep him. I like him to outshine both Moreno and Hillman if that is the case. If he's released, he'll land on his feet and far outproduce RB 63. Grade: B because of uncertainty at #2 RB.

4.12 Wes Welker

5.05 Dwayne Bowe

6.12 Austin Miles

10.12 Chris Givens

13.05 Brandon LaFell

17.05 Da'Rick Rogers

Assuming Miles can stay healthy, I really like my top 3. Welker is going to have more competition for targets than he's used to, but Manning should learn to trust him quickly. It's pretty hard to imagine Welker upgrading at QB, but I think that's exactly what he did. I look for his numbers to go down this year, but I still have him ranked at #14 in redraft. Bowe basically just had all the stars align for a very good fantasy year. Upgraded O-line, QB and Andy Reid. That is a win, win, win for Bowe's fantasy season. I have Bowe right behind Welker at #15 in my rankings for this year. Austin will be rock solid if he's on the field. That part does concern me, but he should finish as a top 32WR no matter how it shakes out. That makes him a WR2, but he'll be my WR3. Givens and LaFell were both WR4's last year, but I look for both of them to increase their production this year. I know it was OTA's but when Rogers catches a 75 and 80 yard TD in one practice, it catches my eye. Kinda like that 18 reception 303 yard game he had last year. Love the talent and love the big play ability in this format.

Grade: A- with a healthy Austin or B if not.

2.12 Jason Witten

12.12 Robert Housler

The one word that describes Witten in a 2 point per reception league is MONEY. Gronk and Hernandez both have health issues. Graham was playing dinged up last year. Witten will be in your lineup every week and he's going to score big almost every week. I'm a big fan of Housler long term. He's another WR type in a TE body. He's going to make a big jump this year. Palmer is a smart QB and he'll lean on that TE when the O-line play breaks down.

Grade: A-

14.12 Matt Bryant

15.05 Justin Tucker

Both on high scoring offenses. Both should have zero problem finishing top 10. If they finished 1-2 at the end of the year, I would not be surprised.

Grade: Kickers.... :(

11.05 Chicago

I have them ranked at #4 in my rankings for this year.

Grade: C because of no second defense.

Overall grade of a B to a B+. With a healthy Manning all year, I'll be there in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
6.11 Ben Roethlisberger QB PIT 5

8.11 Matt Flynn QB OAK 7

An obvious weakness, but Big Ben has top 10 upside every week. I'm hoping that Matt Flynn gets a real shot this time and doesn't lose the job to Tyler Wilson or Terrelle Pryor. I like Fynn's game and think he can be a fine QB2 with some upside if that line can keep him upright. I thought about taking Wilson as insurance but If Pryor somehow got in ahead of him it would be a wasted pick. C+

1.06 Jamaal Charles RB KCC 10

2.11 Demarco Murray RB DAL 11

9.06 Mikel LeShoure RB DET 9

10.11 Zac Stacy RB STL 11

Only 4 but I Like this group quite a bit. Charles is a top 4 pick imo so I was happy to see him here at 6. With no competition for touches outside of rookie Knile Davis who has a fumbling problem, Charles could easily end up as RB1. Murray needs to stay healthy. When he has stayed on the field he has produced. He also has little competition for touches. I think LeShoure is being a bit underdrafted. I see Bush being used closer to how he was in New Orleans than he will be to how miami used him. This opens up the redzone and goaline work for LeShoure. Bell is still there and at times looked better than LeShoure did last season. That is certainly a concern. I don't like Pead at all and I don't think Richardson is a 3 down back so enter Zac Stacy. Waldman says he reminds him of Travis Henry and I can definitely see that comparison. I think Stacy gets close to 50% of the carries this season. B+

3.06 Victor Cruz WR NYG 9

4.11 Jordy Nelson WR GBP 4

5.06 Danny Amendola WR NEP 10

11.06 Vincent Brown WR SDC 8

14.11 Nate Burleson WR DET 9

16.11 Joseph Morgan WR NOS 7

18.11 Marquise Goodwin WR BUF 12

I love my top 3. There is some risk there with Cruz not being signed yet. I have to think that gets done since there hasn't been any real interest with his 1st round tender. Nelson played hurt a lot of last season. With Jennings gone he becomes the true WR1 in Green Bay. Cobb may have more receptions in 2013 but I'm betting at the end of the season they have comparable fantasy numbers. Amendola should thrive in New England. He does some things better than Welker does like lining up outside. We probably don't see 120 catches but 90+ is in the conversation. He had 85 with Bradford in 2010. Health is obviously an issue. I was hoping Keenan Allen was available at 11.06 but I like Brown too. There are suddenly a lot of targets in San Diego, but I think Brown carves out a role for himself. Burleson has the inside track to line up across from Megatron at least until Broyles can return. Morgan and Goodwin are both deepball threats that are great in this format. They can point for you on one play in any given week. A-

7.06 Martellus Bennett TE CHI 8

12.11 Brent Celek TE PHI 12

Not a strength, but for waiting as long as I did, I think I am ok here. I really like Bennett in Chicago. He seems motivated and is playing with his buddy BMarsh. He will be the 2nd or 3rd option in the passing game depending on how Jefferys develops. I know they drafted Ertz and signed Casey, but I think Celek still has a role. I wanted to take Delanie Walker but he shares a bye with Bennett. Considered Housler as well, but I'm not sold on the Housler = Myers theory. Palmer didn't have Fitzgerald in Oakland. C

15.06 Garrett Hartley PK NOS 7

I prefer taking just 1 kicker in the 18 rounders. I got a good one in Hartley who plays in a dome on a high scoring team that doesn't have too late of a bye week. B-

17.06 Kansas City DST 10
13.06 Arizona DST 9

two underrated defenses. B

Strong team that should be around until the end but there might not be enough juice at QB and TE to finish 1st.
QB: Below average compared to most teams. Grade D+

RB: I think you got two better than averages RB1s. Leshoure is a solid safely net with upside. Grade A

WR: Slightly below average WR1. Your WR2 will score like a WR1 when he posts points. Amendola is a great WR3. Love your depth. Grade A-

TE: Not a strength does not rate a C. I'll give you a D because I'm too lazy to see if there aren't enough teams with worse TEs to give you an F+

K: One kicker won't put you solidly in the top half of kicker scoring. Grade: C-

D: I like your Ds and can get on board with a Grade B.

Overall I like what you did here. Probably one of the stronger teams and definately a tough out.

3.05 Peyton Manning

18.12 Brock Osweiler

I view Manning as a top 3 QB this year. I wanted a solid backup, but didn't like the way the backup QB's flew off the board. By the time round 8 got here, there were only scraps left. I wasn't going to draft a QB 25-32 over a solid RB or WR. So I decided to wait on Osweiler so I wouldn't get a zero each week if Manning went down. Osweiler will probably outscore the QB 25-32 anyway. Granted, I have nothing week 9 and that sucks. If week 9 doesn't knock me out, I have no problem living or dying with Manning each week. Grade: B because of no backup.

1.05 Doug Martin

7.05 Montee Ball

8.12 Shane Vereen

9.05 DeAngelo Williams

16.12 Willis McGahee

Martin is a rock solid top 5 RB. One of either Ball or Vereen should be a decent #2 each week. If Woodhead can finish as a top 25 RB, then I see no reason why Vereen can't be top 20. The sky is the limit for Ball. But with John Fox as his head coach, I'm a little worried about his workload. When I drafted DWill, I really thought I got a bargain because Carolina would finally release him. Well, he restructured his contract to stay with the team. WTF Carolina. He was a good RB3 last year and now I have to hope he can do that again this year. As my RB4, I'm good with it. I was surprised McGahee was still around at the end of round 16, so I grabbed him. If Denver can fit him under the cap, then they probably keep him. I like him to outshine both Moreno and Hillman if that is the case. If he's released, he'll land on his feet and far outproduce RB 63. Grade: B because of uncertainty at #2 RB.

4.12 Wes Welker

5.05 Dwayne Bowe

6.12 Austin Miles

10.12 Chris Givens

13.05 Brandon LaFell

17.05 Da'Rick Rogers

Assuming Miles can stay healthy, I really like my top 3. Welker is going to have more competition for targets than he's used to, but Manning should learn to trust him quickly. It's pretty hard to imagine Welker upgrading at QB, but I think that's exactly what he did. I look for his numbers to go down this year, but I still have him ranked at #14 in redraft. Bowe basically just had all the stars align for a very good fantasy year. Upgraded O-line, QB and Andy Reid. That is a win, win, win for Bowe's fantasy season. I have Bowe right behind Welker at #15 in my rankings for this year. Austin will be rock solid if he's on the field. That part does concern me, but he should finish as a top 32WR no matter how it shakes out. That makes him a WR2, but he'll be my WR3. Givens and LaFell were both WR4's last year, but I look for both of them to increase their production this year. I know it was OTA's but when Rogers catches a 75 and 80 yard TD in one practice, it catches my eye. Kinda like that 18 reception 303 yard game he had last year. Love the talent and love the big play ability in this format.

Grade: A- with a healthy Austin or B if not.

2.12 Jason Witten

12.12 Robert Housler

The one word that describes Witten in a 2 point per reception league is MONEY. Gronk and Hernandez both have health issues. Graham was playing dinged up last year. Witten will be in your lineup every week and he's going to score big almost every week. I'm a big fan of Housler long term. He's another WR type in a TE body. He's going to make a big jump this year. Palmer is a smart QB and he'll lean on that TE when the O-line play breaks down.

14.12 Matt Bryant

15.05 Justin Tucker

Both on high scoring offenses. Both should have zero problem finishing top 10. If they finished 1-2 at the end of the year, I would not be surprised.

Grade: Kickers.... :(

11.05 Chicago

I have them ranked at #4 in my rankings for this year.

Grade: C because of no second defense.

Overall grade of a B to a B+. With a healthy Manning all year, I'll be there in the end.
QB: I still think they are over rated in this format (somewho I forgot that during the draft). I won a title years back going Roth and Batch solo. Batch counted a couple of weeks. Manning pretty much has a weekly floor of 15 pts (didn't go below that last year) and scored at least 20 all but two weeks. Smart move not burning an early pick for a Bradford type. I've run the numbers numerous times and a backup QB will only net 20-30 points over the year. That said, I'm bumping you down because off all the fantasy studs. Opps...bumping you up because most of them are on my roster. Grade B

RB: Above average RB1. A best ball field day for RB2. Grade B+

WR: Really like what you did and will split the difference. Grade B+

TE: Nailed it here too. Grade A-

K/D: Solid at both. Grade B

As long as Manning doesn'[t get hurt, I have you as one of the favorites.

LOL... So My RB3 Gets arrested (Goodson), My QB's top target has his 10th surgery (Gronk).. and now my WR1 tore his achilles? (Crabtree)

ok...

LOL... So My RB3 Gets arrested (Goodson), My QB's top target has his 10th surgery (Gronk).. and now my WR1 tore his achilles? (Crabtree)

ok...
This is exactly why drafting in May is risky business.

I wouldn't be worried about Brady, but the others for sure. Brady will make his supporting cast look good. His numbers might take a hit without Gronk, but I doubt you even notice it. If Goodson is convicted on the gun charge, you can expect him not to play this year. Possibly not again. Crabtree is obviously toast for this year.

You'll be fine at RB until Richardson or Spoles has a down week. No bye issues until week 7 though. While I like Gordon, Hilton, and the real Steve Smith, you are in trouble there. If Quick or Jones starts counting in your weekly score, your be joining SSL4 next year.

Overall, I think you have enough to stay with us a few weeks. SSL3 in 2014 will be your prize. :)

Waiting too long to draft your TE and the loss of Crabtree will be a death sentence before week 8.

QB1: Andy Dalton

QB2: Blaine Gabbert

Waited WAY too long here, and this is my result. QB1 has a ceiling of around QB12, and QB2 will be lucky to start the whole year.

Grade: D-

RB1: David Wilson

RB2: Eddie Lacy

RB3: Bryce Brown

RB4: Shonn Greene

My fortunes will be tied to how well Wilson does this year. If he does as I think he will and comes out as a top-10 RB this year, then I think I will be OK. Lacy I need to win the starting job convincingly, or I will be S.O.L. I actually like Brown to give me some decent points in this format - that team will be running a LOT. Greene I look to punch in some TDs and give me some weeks of points as well. Still, not the strongest group in the league.

Grade: C-

WR1: AJ Green

WR2: Randall Cobb

WR3: Justin Blackmon

WR4: Cordarrelle Patterson

WR5: Jeremy Kerley

The Strength of my team, by far. AJ and Cobb should give me about 35 points per week, and once Blackmon comes back from suspension he will be a regular scorer for me. The key is whether or not I will last that long. I like Patterson and Kerley to both have some big weeks every so often for me. Not having special teams TDs count for the WR hurts me with Patterson.

TE1: Kyle Rudolph

TE2: Coby Fleener

TE3: Marcedes Lewis

I actually like my TE squad here. Rudolph should have his big weeks, and I am hoping that Fleener scores a bit more in his 2nd season. Lewis should be more involved this year.

Grade: B-

PK1: Sebastian Janikowski

PK2: Rob Bironas

Two big legged kickers here - it is too bad that distance is not a factor in how many points they score.

DEF1: Baltimore Ravens

DEF2: Detroit Lions

I like the Ravens defense to be better this season than last - Suggs will be back healthy, and Dumervil will be flanking him on the other side. Detroit should have a fairly decent amount of sacks - was glad to get them as late as I did.

Overall, I hate this team. Drafting out of the 10 hole was the total suck this year. I just felt like I was on the wrong end of every run that happened. I think I will be lucky to make it to week 4, and when I do, losing my RB2 and WR2 to bye that week will probably kill me. Just hoping to win enough to stay in SSL3 again next season...

Waited WAY too long here, and this is my result. QB1 has a ceiling of around QB12, and QB2 will be lucky to start the whole year.

My fortunes will be tied to how well Wilson does this year. If he does as I think he will and comes out as a top-10 RB this year, then I think I will be OK. Lacy I need to win the starting job convincingly, or I will be S.O.L. I actually like Brown to give me some decent points in this format - that team will be running a LOT. Greene I look to punch in some TDs and give me some weeks of points as well. Still, not the strongest group in the league.

The Strength of my team, by far. AJ and Cobb should give me about 35 points per week, and once Blackmon comes back from suspension he will be a regular scorer for me. The key is whether or not I will last that long. I like Patterson and Kerley to both have some big weeks every so often for me. Not having special teams TDs count for the WR hurts me with Patterson.

I actually like my TE squad here. Rudolph should have his big weeks, and I am hoping that Fleener scores a bit more in his 2nd season. Lewis should be more involved this year.

Two big legged kickers here - it is too bad that distance is not a factor in how many points they score.

I like the Ravens defense to be better this season than last - Suggs will be back healthy, and Dumervil will be flanking him on the other side. Detroit should have a fairly decent amount of sacks - was glad to get them as late as I did.

Overall, I hate this team. Drafting out of the 10 hole was the total suck this year. I just felt like I was on the wrong end of every run that happened. I think I will be lucky to make it to week 4, and when I do, losing my RB2 and WR2 to bye that week will probably kill me. Just hoping to win enough to stay in SSL3 again next season...
Your team would look a lot better if you had taken CJ Spiller at 1.10 and Demaryius Thomas at 2.07.

Your top two WRs will produce but too many question marks with your bottom 3. You are going to rely on a rookie and a Jets receiver to cobble together WR3 scores for you for 3 weeks. If Green or Cobb have a bad game one of those first 4 weeks that could easily be the end of you. Only Having 5 WRs (4 for the first quarter of the season) is going to hurt.

Relying on Lacy and Wilson seems like nothing but risk. I like Wilson a lot but Andre Brown will have a big role until he gets hurt which means you have to fight a td vulture in addition to the 4 weeks Blackmon is out.

valence said:

Your team would look a lot better if you had taken CJ Spiller at 1.10 and Demaryius Thomas at 2.07.

Your top two WRs will produce but too many question marks with your bottom 3. You are going to rely on a rookie and a Jets receiver to cobble together WR3 scores for you for 3 weeks. If Green or Cobb have a bad game one of those first 4 weeks that could easily be the end of you. Only Having 5 WRs (4 for the first quarter of the season) is going to hurt.

Relying on Lacy and Wilson seems like nothing but risk. I like Wilson a lot but Andre Brown will have a big role until he gets hurt which means you have to fight a td vulture in addition to the 4 weeks Blackmon is out.
Yup, his team is all round bad. I like Cobb, but he'll have some pedrestrian weeks. I'd grade this group out at a D when factoring in Blackmon.

6.13 Jay Cutler CHI

7.04 Sam Bradford STL

Both teams should be passing a lot.

1.04 Ray Rice BAL

2.13 Steven Jackson ATL

13.04 Daniel Thomas MIA

14.13 Mike Tolbert CAR

Two really good RBs and two with some weekly production and some upside.

4.13 Eric Decker DEN

5.04 Torrey Smith BAL

8.13 Emmanuel Sanders PIT

9.04 Sidney Rice SEA

10.13 Brian Hartline MIA

12.13 Rueben Randle NYG

I like Decker to do at least where he was drafted. The rest should have some good weeks. Need some good timing.

3.04 Aarron Hernandez NE

I don't always sluff TE2, but when I do, I prefer a good TE1. Stay healthy, my friend.

15.04 Matt Prater DEN

16.13 Mike Nugent CIN

11.04 Denver Broncos DST

17.04 Carolina Panthers DST

QB & WR should have #s every week. Riding on my RBs and TE and hoping for no injuries to them. Should have my hat in the ring. Two picks to go.
I seen what you did there when talking about your TE situation. lol :lol: The first thing that came to mind was the Dos Equis Beer commercials.
That was a good line.
Say it aint so, Mister.

I usually approach the draft trying to get safe picks early and upside later. I don't think I did that well this time.

QB: Kaepernick, Tannehill

- Usually I prefer a safer pick with an upside pick combo, but both of these guys are upside picks with some risk. Although Kaep seems to be a relatively safe bet to be a top 8 QB. I like that Miami is giving Tannehill improved receivers, they seem to be moving towards an offense emphasizing Tannehill's strengths. This doesn't come close to Bass's trio but it should be a top 5 combo. A-

RB: CJ3, AMorris, LJames, BPierce

- I think CJ won't be quite as up and down this year with a better line and should stay in the top 10 or even higher. I like Morris, although there's always risk there, his coach knows he's the man. James should be involved consistently though not the lead dog, might be a good part of the 49ers Cerebus. If Rice goes down, Pierce will be a stud. A

WR: Shorts, Maclin, DX, Streater, Dobson, J Wright

- Every time has a weakness, this is mine. I feel like I'm missing someone, like a #1 guy... Maclin is a safe WR2, Shorts should be huge to start the year and I like him to be successful, but after Blackmon returns he's probably a WR2 type. DX is the consumate risk/reward big play guy, likely my #1 many weeks but with down weeks. I can't remember why I took Dobson except that I didn't like the other options and he has a great QB throwing to him. He should have some huge plays but probably a lot of 2/60/1 type games (hope so anyway). Streater and Wright seemed to catch on a bit towards the end of their rookie years, hope they can improve. I think Wright can be big if Patterson proves raw. Overall, much more risk here than I usually like. C-

TE: Gonzo, Allen

- With Gonzo back, I just hope he can approach last year's success. I like D Allen a lot, seems to be a complete player who will be on the field most plays. He doesn't have the upside of Fleener or many others taken later, but he'll be solid. B

PK: Henery, Gano

- They kick and I think they'll have jobs. C

DEF: Packers, Vikings

- Both should finish somewhere in the 9-16 range, wouldn't want either by itself but together they will be solid. B

Overall, I like my chances as much as anyone's. QB and RB are the core, TE should be good, but in the end, if my WRs all have bad games in the same week I'll be screwed. This wouldn't be hard to imagine as the only guy I feel remotely confident about each week is Maclin and he's not a game changer.

"Safety net": Kapernick, Gonzo, Maclin, Allen

Risk: Tannehill, Morris, Pierce, Shorts, DX, Dobson

IMO, everyone else falls in between or is just a flyer. This is not the grouping I usually like.
I'm skewered.

Users who are viewing this thread