What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (4 Viewers)

I'm interested to know whether people value Clay or Reed higher in both redraft and dyansty. Right now it's probably Clay in redraft and Reed in dynasty, right?
I'd probably agree, but I think Clay is surprising a lot of people to the point where his dynasty stock is moving up.

Thinking of dropping Jonathan Stewart in dynasty to make room for him. Stewart looking like a good chance to miss the season vs. returning after week 6. No guarantee he is ever going to amount to what people thought he could be.

How could a guy that has aaron hernandez level of skill go this far under the radar until now?
Jeff Driskell.

He showed signs at Florida, but not consistently because the guy throwing him the ball can't throw a football.

IIRC, Reed's a little smaller too.

How could a guy that has aaron hernandez level of skill go this far under the radar until now?
Jeff Driskell.

He showed signs at Florida, but not consistently because the guy throwing him the ball can't throw a football.

off topic: but how does Florida not have a good qb, or good back up.

Since Tebow left in 08...

Brantley was junk, Driskell is well junk..

They were so highly regarded out of hs must be the qb coach or something

That's the situation Reed is in with Griffin. And yet he's gotten almost no dynasty hype other than this thread and other minor references.
He's my #13 ranked TE and my #14 ranked rookie. Tefertiller and Ryan McDowell from DynastyLeagueFootball are also both firmly on the bandwagon, too (they've both been on longer than I have, going all the way back to February or so). For the most part, though... you're right, he's flying completely off the radar. It seems people have him in the mid teens or the mid 30s, with very few people falling somewhere in between the two extremes.
Would you please describe his ceiling?
His absolute ceiling? He's not Gronk or Graham, but I could see him reaching as high as #3 on the TE charts. He's a very natural receiver, he plays with a good quarterback who lacks weapons, and he's a terrible blocker (which means more time spent out in routes). He theoretically could be another Aaron Hernandez. I don't think he's that good, but he could be.

Jeff Driskell.

Florida's playcalling didn't help either - Reed was UF's best receiving weapon in 2012, but the coaching staff's insistence on a run-heavy gameplan limited his opportunities.

but Reed also started his UF career as a QB and didn't switch fully to TE until his third year, when he was a redshirt sophomore, and there were questions about his maturity and work ethic at Florida, too. He tended to make spectacular catches and drop easy ones, and he seemed to give up on plays too quickly at times.

Jeff Driskell.

Florida's playcalling didn't help either - Reed was UF's best receiving weapon in 2012, but the coaching staff's insistence on a run-heavy gameplan limited his opportunities.

but Reed also started his UF career as a QB and didn't switch fully to TE until his third year, when he was a redshirt sophomore, and there were questions about his maturity and work ethic at Florida, too. He tended to make spectacular catches and drop easy ones, and he seemed to give up on plays too quickly at times.
Good point, I had forgotten about that.

Jeff Driskell.

Wait - UF QB switches from QB and finds succes in the NFL as a tight end?

Sounds like someone took a hint and did well. Someone did not.

RW has Reed as 6'2, 236; TT at 6'3, 236.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was notoriously bad as a blocker in college, yet Washington drafted him anyway. The writing's on the wall with Davis being on a 1yr contract and the early target distribution.

Jeff Driskell.

The one that took a hint probably did so because he couldn't crack the QB depth chart on a college team with putrid QB play. The one that didn't take the hint probably did so because he was a Heisman Trophy winner, 2x national champion, and the second highest-rated passer in college football history. Had Tim Tebow gotten beaten out for the QB position by John Brantley and Josh Portis, he might have considered a position switch, too.

reed may be breaking out a little earlier than expected...
Is there a willingness by Shan & Griffin to use him?
that is what caught my eye and led to bumping the thread...didn't check all my dynasty leagues, but in one with 1.5 PPR, he is in top 20...

off top of my head, i think he had about five receptions week one, and a TD on three receptions week two (?)...

aaron hernandez has come up a lot in the thread...

some know this already, but in case others are unaware of it...

one reason aaron hernandez comes up a lot as comp is due to parallel backgrounds (minus the guns and angel dust)...

they were both connecticut prep stars that found their way to florida...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1691412/jordan-reed

but they do have other similarities...

AH listed at 6'1" 245, reed 6'2" 245...

AH ran 4.6, reed 4.7...

AH has superior movement skills, better in space, but reed no slouch...

both are "joker"-type TEs, on the field to create mismatches in passing game, not for their blocking competence...

AH fell to fourth round for character concerns and off field red flags (that appear to have destroyed his career), if not for which some scouts said he might have been a first rounder...

reed went in third, he wasn't as highly regarded as top prospects eifert, ertz and kelce (or based on pedigree, escobar and mcdonald)... but he may be the most dangerous TE in draft once he has the ball in his hands, with best RAC ability... possibly he would have gone higher also, he may have been viewed as raw due to position switch, and bit more of a projection at next level... not quite the receiving skills of AH, and probably not being any better of a blocker to compensate, that could have dropped him on some boards... there may have been some negative rumblings in scouting process, i'm not certain (not always giving 100% effort, concentration drops, conflicting reports that he was suspended for 2012 bowl game, which reed denied, i take it officially neither confirmed or denied by florida HC, or we would know more definitively... some coaches may not want to bad mouth alumni for obvious recruiting reasons - this could be balanced by wanting to be straight with NFL connections, possibly off the record)...

to convey a sense of his athleticism and versatility, he has been called a converted QB that ran like a RB playing TE like a WR (nice description)...

being a former QB with only a few years at TE suggests he could have further upside as he learns the nuances of the position, route running, etc. (but he is a natural running in the open field)...

RGIII has alarmed many due to unfortunate expectations based on adrian peterson's superhuman recovery in 2012... but assuming he returns to some semblance of his rookie of the year form (breaking several league rookie records for QB), than that is a plus in evaluating reed's dynasty upside... garcon and he may already be the two best receiving options on the team...

i had high mid/long-term expectations for reed, but what caught me by surprise is the rate of his development... it seems as he has already passed fred davis, who is a pretty talented athlete and receiver in his own right (in fairness to davis, he may be less than 100% in his recovery from ruptured achilles tendon - but i thought he looked pretty fluid when i saw him, probably in preseason?)... davis failed attempt to get a larger contract in free agency (returning from achilles injury previous year not greatest timing, and he has had some off field issues) and WAS signing him to a one year deal has been well chronicled... this may be his last year there...

to elaborate on hernandez comps, i used to think they were more driven by similar backgrounds, and was an overly facile comparison, but they may have other similarities, and more of them than differences... even if he is 80% of hernandez (depending on how one defines "close" or "almost"), that would be good for top 10 TE, possibly with upside...

a breakdown of first game, with video stills...

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/9/12/4723952/redskins-vs-eagles-breaking-down-jordan-reeds-nfl-debut

not sure if i would drop duane allen for him (this came up above, probably in redraft context?)... but not sure how seious his injury is for redraft purposes...

in dynasty, allen obviously more accomplished at this juncture of their respective careers, reed is more dynamic RAC, could have similar to better long term upside...

* may have mentioned this elsewhere, but in addition to AH comp, being as shanahan is HC, he may see some shannon sharpe in reed... looked it up, sharpe listed at 6'2" 230 (maybe got bigger later?), eventually he became a decent positional blocker, possibly better than reed will ever be, but one of the best "undersized", primarily receiving weapon TEs in NFL history... anyways, shanahan may have been ahead of the curve in developing weapons like sharpe, nice to know there is a definite precedent of shanahan positioning receiving TEs for success, even if they have blocking shortcomings...

Jeff Driskell.

The one that took a hint probably did so because he couldn't crack the QB depth chart on a college team with putrid QB play. The one that didn't take the hint probably did so because he was a Heisman Trophy winner, 2x national champion, and the second highest-rated passer in college football history. Had Tim Tebow gotten beaten out for the QB position by John Brantley and Josh Portis, he might have considered a position switch, too.
Was being somewhat sarcastic - but I thought it interesting they both played QB at UF & are nearly the same dimensions. TT is being told he should try TE and it just so happens one of his fellow QBs did just that and made it.

Off topic, so that is all.

Was just offered Reed and Allen for Antonio Brown. 1.5 TE PPR dynasty.

Just to give an example of how he is currently valued.

Per PFF: Fred Davis has played 67 snaps vs. just 53 for Reed, BUT, of Davis' 67 snaps, 37 involved him running a route and 30 involved him staying in to block. Of Reed's 53 snaps, a whopping 46 involved him running a route vs. just 7 involving him staying in to block. Reed has 9 targets for 8 receptions, 56 yards and 1 TD. Davis has 6 targets for 3 receptions, 25 yards, and no scores.

Reed has more of a longer, leaner build than Tebow and Hernandez.

Reed has better ball skills and is a better leaper than Hernandez. Hernandez was more of a catch-and-run type with better YAC skill.

Reed just doesn't have the right frame/strength to be blocking much.

Sources tell the Washington Post that Fred Davis was benched after blowing several missed assignments in Sunday's loss to the Packers.
Per the Post, there "could be a changing of the guard at tight end" for the Redskins. Davis played on just 16-of-61 snaps in Week 2 while intriguing third-round rookie Jordan Reed saw 29. Through two games, Davis has a mere two catches for 25 yards on six targets and Reed an 8/56/1 line on nine targets. Reed, a strict pass-catcher in the mold of Dustin Keller or Aaron Hernandez, is a Dynasty must-own going forward. Davis will be an unrestricted free agent after this season and can't be trusted as even a TE2 in re-draft formats right now.

Fred Davis (ankle) was added to the Redskins' Week 3 injury report and is listed as questionable.
Davis was a full participant in practice this week, so he must have suffered the injury Friday afternoon. His status for this week's game against the Lions is now up in the air. Davis has just two catches for 25 yards through two games and was benched in the second half last week for missing some assignments as a blocker. Bump Jordan Reed up your Week 3 tight end rankings slightly
Does anyone think Reed will be able to legitimately contribute this year? Whether Davis is in the dog house or injured, it looks like he's going to have some legitimate opportunity to do so.

Fred Davis (ankle) was added to the Redskins' Week 3 injury report and is listed as questionable.
Davis was a full participant in practice this week, so he must have suffered the injury Friday afternoon. His status for this week's game against the Lions is now up in the air. Davis has just two catches for 25 yards through two games and was benched in the second half last week for missing some assignments as a blocker. Bump Jordan Reed up your Week 3 tight end rankings slightly
Does anyone think Reed will be able to legitimately contribute this year? Whether Davis is in the dog house or injured, it looks like he's going to have some legitimate opportunity to do so.
Yes, especially if the Fred Davis train stays off the rails.

Chris Russell reported that the Skins aren't happy with Fred Davis's (lack of) preparation/effort in practices this year, which is why Reed is on the field so much so soon. Russell is a former beat reporter who now works directly/indirectly for the Skins and is a front office and coaching staff mouthpiece.

based on the first two games, it looks that way...

it bodes well that he is ahead of schedule...

i do like eifert a lot, but a big thing to recommend reed during earlier dynasty drafts (pre-season), at a lesser cost than eifert and ertz, i thought he had a chance to put up a range anwhere from almost comparable to even better than higher graded prospects, as he was likely to be dedicated receiving TE (in hernandez vein - maybe i should rephrase that), and RGIIIs stratospheric upside if he overcomes knee injury...

back to reed's potential for this year, garcon is talented when healthy, but after him, the rest of the WR corp has major questions and is pretty hinky projection-wise...

* with there not being a lot of dominant RBs, especially in boosted TE scoring leagues with flex, in combination with an even better TE, he might be better use of that flex than a lower echelon RB3 or WR4...

Chris Russell reported that the Skins aren't happy with Fred Davis's (lack of) preparation/effort in practices this year, which is why Reed is on the field so much so soon. Russell is a former beat reporter who now works directly/indirectly for the Skins and is a front office and coaching staff mouthpiece.
thanx for the info, good stuff (except for the davis owners in the reed thread)...

appreciate the bonafides elaboration for context...

though i definitely don't need too much convincing davis is flaky! :)

based on the first two games, it looks that way...

it bodes well that he is ahead of schedule...

i do like eifert a lot, but a big thing to recommend reed during earlier dynasty drafts (pre-season), at a lesser cost than eifert and ertz, i thought he had a chance to put up a range anwhere from almost comparable to even better than higher graded prospects, as he was likely to be dedicated receiving TE (in hernandez vein - maybe i should rephrase that), and RGIIIs stratospheric upside if he overcomes knee injury...

back to reed's potential for this year, garcon is talented when healthy, but after him, the rest of the WR corp has major questions and is pretty hinky projection-wise...

* with there not being a lot of dominant RBs, especially in boosted TE scoring leagues with flex, in combination with an even better TE, he might be better use of that flex than a lower echelon RB3 or WR4...
Yeah, Reed is right in the mix for targets (Moss - 14, Morgan - 11, Hank - 10, Reed - 9). If his role increases it's definitely possible he eventually becomes the second passing option in this offense.

His value is climbing right now - with him getting involved as a rookie, with RG3 getting back in the swing, and with Davis on the downslide. Where do you currently rank him in dynasty TE rankings? Who would you put at roughly the same value?

Jeff Driskell.

Based on lessons we all learned a few months ago, doesn't that mean he's a potential murderer, and therefore should have gone completely undrafted? :rolleyes:

His value is climbing right now - with him getting involved as a rookie, with RG3 getting back in the swing, and with Davis on the downslide. Where do you currently rank him in dynasty TE rankings? Who would you put at roughly the same value?
My last TE rankings were updated on the 10th, and my 10th-15th guys were Rudolph, Ertz, Gresham, Reed, Cameron, Pitta. Cameron's earned himself a big bump since then, and Eifert's early development should have Gresham sliding down a bit, but I'd still have Reed in the general Rudolph/Ertz neighborhood. Maybe ahead of both of them, albeit just barely. Low-end TE1, high-end TE2 for dynasty purposes.

reed is on the field for nearly all the fred davis packages, while paulson has been blocker/outlet guy in run gm.

he'll have ppr value rest of the way this yr.

reed 5-50 today (paulsen 4-51)...

redskins are 0-3 and made it close again, but defense gave up 27... one of worst if not worst defense in league, looks like they will be playing from behind a lot this season...

quickly becoming a lost season for the team, really hard to overcome 0-3 hole (though i think SD overcame 0-5 start to finish 11-5 once?)...

Rookie tight end Jordan Reed, who missed the Week 4 win at Oakland with a quad contusion, said he would play against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday. Starting tight end Logan Paulsen, who sprained the MCL in his left knee, said he’s cautiously optimistic about playing though his status will be more clearly defined later in the week."I'm feeling good," Paulsen said. "I've gotten better every day."

Fred Davis, who was limited against the Raiders with a sprained ankle, said before the bye that he would play -- and practiced in full as well. So there's a chance the Redskins will have a full contingent at tight end versus Dallas.
http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/1362/redskins-tes-healthier-alfred-morris-practices

If it wasn't already obvious after Julius Thomas ran train on DAL last week, DAL has a pretty soft, exploitable middle. Even before last week, Gates picked them apart as well. I'm definitely not going to advise starting Reed but I'm curious to see if he can do any damage this week. He was starting to see a decent amount of targets before the injury and it's a trend I'd like to see continue, even if Davis and "his name is Logan Paulsen" are both active. Here's to hoping this train can get back track.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but FBG has Reed ranked WAY too low this week as the #28 TE. I'm seeing him closer to top 10. He's a better receiver already than anyone on the team other than Garcon and Dallas is a great matchup.

Might be too optimistic, but IMO Reed is a top 10 TE from here going forward. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but FBG has Reed ranked WAY too low this week as the #28 TE. I'm seeing him closer to top 10. He's a better receiver already than anyone on the team other than Garcon and Dallas is a great matchup.

Might be too optimistic, but IMO Reed is a top 10 TE from here going forward. Tell me why I'm wrong.
:goodposting:

He's won the job and was seeing an increase in targets before getting hurt. When the Skins popped in the Denver tape, I'm sure they saw massive room to work in front of the safeties.

FUBAR said:

You're wrong because the other two TEs are back and healthy this week?

I hope you're right, and I'm sitting on Reed in dynasty, but no way am I pegging him as top 10 at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread