What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (4 Viewers)

Quick question guys:

I literally just traded him away 3 hours ago to the person who I happened to be playing THIS week. Do I reverse the trade? I feel terrible.

Quick question guys:

I literally just traded him away 3 hours ago to the person who I happened to be playing THIS week. Do I reverse the trade? I feel terrible.
I traded Adrian Peterson for Leveon Bell 4 days before the SNF game where Peterson got hurt.  I felt somewhat guilty. (FWIW- the trade was in a competitive money league that I commish and was made with a very good friend who actually got me into FF in college). But all sales are final in FF and everybody is taking on assumed risk at the time of the deal. Anything can happen at any time. Reed could be cleared in a relatively short time and whoever you traded for could get hurt in 2 weeks.  Its football and its FF.

And I don't see the difference in a competitive league or a friendly/work league.  Its a game. Crazy things happen and none of us knows when they are going to happen.  When you propose or accept a trade you know full well all of the risk you are taking from that point forward.

Quick question guys:

As long as you did NOT know about the concussion, the trade should stand

(given it is a friends league you have to judge how your trading partner will feel about this in the long run and let that guide you)

As long as you did NOT know about the concussion, the trade should stand

(given it is a friends league you have to judge how your trading partner will feel about this in the long run and let that guide you)
No I didn't know about it. Anyway my friend laughed it off and said it wasn't a big deal.

So... I'm kinda desperate for a TE. Any homer insights about whether Davis or Paul would be a viable streamer?  Best on the wire is Richard Rogers, so... yeah. It's bad. 

According to this the Eagles have been the worst match up against TE over 4 games.

Richard Rodgers is the 4th most targeted player for the Packers thus far and Jared Cook should not be available for this game, which makes Rodgers a more appealing option I think.

So... I'm kinda desperate for a TE. Any homer insights about whether Davis or Paul would be a viable streamer?  Best on the wire is Richard Rogers, so... yeah. It's bad. 
Davis. Paul mostly only plays in 3 TE sets or sometimes lines up at FB. Paul only has one reception (and I think one target) this season. 

Davis. Paul mostly only plays in 3 TE sets or sometimes lines up at FB. Paul only has one reception (and I think one target) this season. 
I agree with this.

Although there is a small part of me that wonders if, due to his blocking prowess, Davis stays in the exact role he's in now while Paul jumps up into Reed's move TE role and garners those targets...he's done it before. But that was pre-VD and frankly before his most recent ankle injury which has left him looking much less explosive than he was before. 

I disagree. I think Davis keeps his role and Paul steps right in to Reed's like he has in past concussions.

Davis is playing more snaps and getting more targets. Would make sense that he would be taking over, rather than Paul leapfrogging Davis.

Davis is playing more snaps and getting more targets. Would make sense that he would be taking over, rather than Paul leapfrogging Davis.
I see it more like when a feature RB goes down the 3rd down RB doesn't always take over as feature. There is another guy that backs him up.

There is the fact that VD can block his ### off compared to Paul, which means keeping him in the role he's in might make sense. Tough call.

Pierre Garcon is actually the guy who will see increased targets over the middle
i was thinking Crowder may be the biggest beneficiary out of this. Bums me out though, and i feel for the guy. hopefully it is nothing big and they are just being precautious

So a 3rd down, change of pace back is compared to the TE position how?
Well the principle would be that receiving TE and blocking TE are two distinct roles, just as feature RB and COP RB are two distinct roles.

A receiving TE getting hurt doesn't automatically make a blocking TE into a receiving TE.

According to this the Eagles have been the worst match up against TE over 4 games.

Richard Rodgers is the 4th most targeted player for the Packers thus far and Jared Cook should not be available for this game, which makes Rodgers a more appealing option I think.
4's a pretty small sample size and they've played against mostly middle of the road TE's

4's a pretty small sample size and they've played against mostly middle of the road TE's
No argument with you about that. It is what it is.

FWIW

Ebron didn't play against them so the other TE they have faced are Barnidge, Zach Miller, Jesse James. In PPR leagues all 3 of these TE are 13th or better though.

Barnidge after being blanked by them week 1 has had 4, 5. 7. 5 receptions since then.

James had his worst game of the season so far against them.

Miller who is TE 4 so far in PPR scoring had his second worst game against them with 4 receptions 33 yards.

In one league I'm starting to think J. Reed being out could be a blessing in disguise. Reed's matchup this week is downright horrible against PHI. C. Fleener was sitting their in FA and CAR in the dome is a much better matchup.

Grabbed Z. Miller in another league, but JAX is tough against TEs as well. 

In one league I'm starting to think J. Reed being out could be a blessing in disguise. Reed's matchup this week is downright horrible against PHI. C. Fleener was sitting their in FA and CAR in the dome is a much better matchup.

Grabbed Z. Miller in another league, but JAX is tough against TEs as well. 
Tend to agree it may be a blessing, but I have to choose between Ertz and Pitta (just picked him off the waiver wire this week after being dropped Sun. morning)

No argument with you about that. It is what it is.

FWIW

Ebron didn't play against them so the other TE they have faced are Barnidge, Zach Miller, Jesse James. In PPR leagues all 3 of these TE are 13th or better though.

Barnidge after being blanked by them week 1 has had 4, 5. 7. 5 receptions since then.

James had his worst game of the season so far against them.

Miller who is TE 4 so far in PPR scoring had his second worst game against them with 4 receptions 33 yards.
With RGIII at QB. Most felt RGIII would kill Barnidge's value (there was even a thread discussing that).

The Steeler game seemed like an anomaly overall. I think if those two teams played again, the results would be quite different.

Not trying to knock you here (good info), because as you said "it is what it is" and it could very well turn out to be a predictive sample. It would be hard to get too excited over Paul and Davis anyway (especially if they split the targets).

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think the analogy was that complicated. Like in Carolina with CAP inactive when stewart is healthy while Fozzy always has a role. 

In this case, Paul would be CAP and VD would be Fozzy. 
It is a difficult analogy when it makes no sense. Other than substituing names in for the CAR RB situation you haven't provided any explanation as to why Paul would leapfrog Davis.

Well the principle would be that receiving TE and blocking TE are two distinct roles, just as feature RB and COP RB are two distinct roles.

A receiving TE getting hurt doesn't automatically make a blocking TE into a receiving TE.
But if Davis is primarily there to be a blocking TE why is he running so many routes?

But if Davis is primarily there to be a blocking TE why is he running so many routes?
No one knows what will happen but the idea is pretty simple - that Davis might keep his current role (including all the routes he is currently running) and Paul will take on the Reed role.  Its certainly plausible if Davis is the best blocking TE on the team that he will be selected for that role when a play needs a TE to block allowing Paul to run routes (and not asking him to block if he isn't as good as Davis). Now, i dont know if any of that is true, and nobody is asking you to agree - but the concept is pretty straight forward.

It is a difficult analogy when it makes no sense. Other than substituing names in for the CAR RB situation you haven't provided any explanation as to why Paul would leapfrog Davis.
It's not the SAT analogies here... @davearm explained it a different way.  I'm not sure what else to say.  When Reed missed 4 games near the start of 2014, Paul came in the lineup and posted 18 catches for 233 yards over those games, and that includes a 1-6 game against the Seahawks, who at the time were even more ridiculous on defense than they are now.

I don't have routes run data, and a google search thus far has proven useless... but I didn't get the impression in the Redskins games I've seen that Davis was running a ton of routes.  A lot of his offseason coverage was about how much he was going to help Washington as a run blocker. 

It's plausible to me that neither of these guys matter - Crowder just absorbs more targets.  But the TE has been used pretty extensively in Washington, so I kinda think one of them would be useful if Reed misses.

Steeler said:
No one knows what will happen but the idea is pretty simple - that Davis might keep his current role (including all the routes he is currently running) and Paul will take on the Reed role.  Its certainly plausible if Davis is the best blocking TE on the team that he will be selected for that role when a play needs a TE to block allowing Paul to run routes (and not asking him to block if he isn't as good as Davis). Now, i dont know if any of that is true, and nobody is asking you to agree - but the concept is pretty straight forward.
I prefer not to get into arguments here, but you're basing this off nothing more than a guess. 

JFS171 said:
It's not the SAT analogies here... @davearm explained it a different way.  I'm not sure what else to say.  When Reed missed 4 games near the start of 2014, Paul came in the lineup and posted 18 catches for 233 yards over those games
And the team didn't have Davis. And the offense isn't what it is now. So comparing 2014 to now with a different offense, different talent and different personnel doesn't really mean much.

And the team didn't have Davis. And the offense isn't what it is now. So comparing 2014 to now with a different offense, different talent and different personnel doesn't really mean much.
Look I don't know how to explain to you that a blocking TE and a receiving TE are different positions.  So I've tried giving numerous examples, as have others, and you don't seem to get it... or you're purposefully being obtuse.

Either way, I've given up.  You win.

Look I don't know how to explain to you that a blocking TE and a receiving TE are different positions.  So I've tried giving numerous examples, as have others, and you don't seem to get it... or you're purposefully being obtuse.

I have a hard time buying this "blocking TE" role that people believe is true. He has nearly 6000 career receiving yards, hit 850 yards 3 times and scored 13 TDs in a season 2 times. But he's a blocking TE now?

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/davis-paul-possibly-nsekhe-will-get-increased-roles-if-reed-out

I dont wish to get into any Skins fan argument ..  But lets not forget that it doesnt matter how brilliant any plan sounds IF the Coach aint seeing things in a similar fashion..  The OC might, but that could just be a temporary issue too (get right or get stepping)

You'd done a fine job, not sure why the comprehension is lacking.

You'd done a fine job, not sure why the comprehension is lacking.
Amazing what these forums have come to.

I will copy & paste the same response:

I have a hard time buying this "blocking TE" role that people believe is true. He has nearly 6000 career receiving yards, hit 850 yards 3 times and scored 13 TDs in a season 2 times. But he's a blocking TE now?

There is no lack of comprehension. I understand the theory that was laid out. The issue is I'm not buying it as there is absolutely no evidence to support it.

Users who are viewing this thread