What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (5 Viewers)

Such a great talent that is so brittle.  Between him and Gronk, the two top pass catching TE's in the league are made of glass.

schefter just tweeted that reed is OUT
OK then. So even though AZ shuts down TEs, Davis's volume/role obviously increases. Trying to see whether this is a good arbitrage opportunity to leverage the potential output from this increased volume with Davis (and it's potential higher ceiling) than other options on the wire for streaming like Brate (consistent floor but lower ceiling) or guys that can be boom/bust versus getting targets like Vance McDonald or Hooper.

Is the AZ D so stout against TEs that it limits Davis's ability to be a TE1 this week compared to other options?

That's the thing, Vernon Davis is a very capable replacement. Why risk Reed when Davis can do the job at a high level? He did well filling in for him previously. However, this seems like too much common sense, so it probably won't happen. Very similar to how I felt McCoy should sit with his hamstring injury and let Gillislee take over temporarily. But what do I know.
A lot of Davis' big plays this year are when they're both on the field. Reed draws all the attention and Davis slips open.

Dnp today.   So are they really going to try and shoot him up with pain meds gameday and use him in passing situations... Or will they just designated him out.  Would be nice for those of us with ir slots it he got out designation today.  Even if active I can't see any way he is startable this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of Davis' big plays this year are when they're both on the field. Reed draws all the attention and Davis slips open.
Could be if you are looking at plays that go over 20 yards or however you are defining "big plays" but seems like Davis does benefit from being out there when Reed is gone.

Look at the two games when Reed was out (WK 6 and 7). 4 targets, 2 receptions, 50 yards, 1 TD; 6 targets, 6 receptions, 79 yards, 0 TD. 

Compare that to the previous 3 game average of 1.6 targets, 1.3 receptions, 7.6 yards, and 0 TDs. 

To your point, Week 2 looks like Davis and Reed had a good combo day, with Davis 5/5 for 51 and Reed with 5/7 for 70. Same with Week 8 (5/5 for 93 for Davis, 9/13 for 99 and a touch for Reed). 

But Davis seems able to perform with or without Reed on the field.

I can't shake wanting to play him, even with the uphill climb versus the ARI D. Brain tells me to go with Vance McDonald. Gut tells me Davis could be key in this game with Reed on the bench. 

I would assume Reed doesn't practice until late this week...anyone have news on him yet? really could use him this 1st week of the playoffs

I would assume Reed doesn't practice until late this week...anyone have news on him yet? really could use him this 1st week of the playoffs
considering he wasnt even close to practicing or playing last week i'd say this week feels to be highly unlikely he'll play.  i cant recall too many situations where a injured player had 3 DP's the week prior and was able to play the following weeks game (for non concussion injuries).  My gut tells me week 15 is iffy at best too.  i still have confidence vernon davis will be a decent play while he's on the mend

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith1 said:
He has a tough match-up but if he plays for the Skins, he has to play for me.
They're playing Eagles man. I don't know if you've watched them lately but they have no one to contain him. My worry is if Washington gets a commanding lead, he will sit.

Jordan Reed (shoulder) said he expects to play Week 14 against the Eagles.

We're not sure what to make of all this as ESPN's John Keim said Reed looked to be in "obvious pain" at Thursday's practice. Despite what Keim saw, Reed claims to have his full range of motion back and coach Jay Gruden said he "looked pretty good" on Thursday. This is shaping up as a classic game-time decision. Fortunately the Redskins play at 1 PM ET this week, so we'll know his status relatively early.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Dec 8 - 3:09 PM

Wasn't a TD though as he didn't complete the catch, so that even further clouds his outlook this week.
I disagree. He got both feet down with the ball. If it's knocked out of his hands, that's fine. He wasn't going to the ground so he didn't need to hang onto it any longer.

I disagree. He got both feet down with the ball. If it's knocked out of his hands, that's fine. He wasn't going to the ground so he didn't need to hang onto it any longer.
Upon further review, he was bobbling the ball before it was knocked from his hands.  No clear possession is the ruling.  Your overturn was overturned.  

Hmm. I might see a slight bobble, but it was called a TD on the field and there's not enough evidence to overturn it. The call on the field STANDS.

Seriously I saw that video a few hours ago and was going to post it but ran out of time and I was going to comment at the time his range of motion looked solid but he did not complete the catch.

Anyway I think he's still in pain but more so in practice than he will be in the game since I think he'll get medicated up for the game and I'd be pretty surprised if he was out this week. My main concern was if he had range of motion to be effective that video was awfully encouraging, even if he did not complete the catch.

Well then what criteria would you use?  If he can't complete a TD in practice, then how can you expect him to in a game?

:whistle:
His range or motion looked real good like others have said - I would use that,  The fact that the DB knocked the ball out of his hands after he exhibited everything you want to see in a WR/TE is irrelevant. 

Can we trust him if he plays or will he be a decoy? I've got Vernon Davis as well. I'd hate to start Reed and have him just run routes and clear space and have Davis get the catches. Its rd 1 in the playoffs. Must win. I'd rather him be out another week.

Thu, Dec 8 at 2:59pm

Reed (shoulder) was a limited practice participant Thursday. Afterward, head coach Jay Gruden said Reed "looked good today."

Analysis: In the early stages of practice, Reed exhibited discomfort, as evidenced by catching a pass down the right seam using just his right arm, according to John Keim of ESPN.com. As the session progressed, though, Reed looked like himself on a leaping reception with both hands in the back left corner of the end zone. Although he appears destined to be questionable for Sunday's game in Philadelphia, he may have approached the point where the medical and training staffs can help him combat the pain in his left shoulder.

by Rotowire.com

-----------------

Sunday Kickoff

Temperature: 34f.

Feels Like: 32f.

-----------------

It doesn't seem like it will be too cold, but the discomfort still bothers me. What happens when he takes a hit or lands on it?

From what I understand, this is a pain management issue that can be taken care of prior to the game via medication.

I have both Reed and Davis. If Reed is active I don't know how I don't start him.

Thu, Dec 8 at 2:59pm

Reed (shoulder) was a limited practice participant Thursday. Afterward, head coach Jay Gruden said Reed "looked good today."

Analysis: In the early stages of practice, Reed exhibited discomfort, as evidenced by catching a pass down the right seam using just his right arm, according to John Keim of ESPN.com. As the session progressed, though, Reed looked like himself on a leaping reception with both hands in the back left corner of the end zone. Although he appears destined to be questionable for Sunday's game in Philadelphia, he may have approached the point where the medical and training staffs can help him combat the pain in his left shoulder.

by Rotowire.com

-----------------

Sunday Kickoff

Temperature: 34f.

Feels Like: 32f.

-----------------

It doesn't seem like it will be too cold, but the discomfort still bothers me. What happens when he takes a hit or lands on it?
He's going to be shot up. And I'd gather he gets shot up prior to every game for the rest of the season.

Still worries me. This is a bad time to have to figure this situation out.
Are you worried about him not playing, or being ineffective? 

He's playing and he's getting shot up. The only question is will he be limited. My guess is no when adrenaline and pain meds kick in with a must win.  

As was alluded to earlier he'll get pain meds for the game he's not getting for practice so the pain tolerance issue will arguable be easier to deal with in the actual game than practice.

I think his snap count will be scaled back a bit but I don't worry about him being a decoy. I'd guess they actually scale back his blocking duties more than anything else.

I'm starting him with confidence.

Where's the line for starting him? Do you start him over green? Over walker? I think I lean towards benching if you have another solid but not great option

Users who are viewing this thread