What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (5 Viewers)

Jordan Reed caught 2-of-4 targets for 43 yards in the Redskins' Week 7 win over the Cowboys.

The good news is Reed's 43 yards were a team-high. The bad news is Reed's 43 yards were a team-high. It's easy to say he's a TE1 based on past performance, but that feeling is beginning to waiver with his third consecutive game under 50 yards. He also has yet to eclipse 70 yards in a single outing this season. His usage remains that of a TE1, so owners are still advised to hang tight and hope to weather the storm.

Oct 21 - 9:05 PM

Jordan Reed (neck) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

Known for being among the most injury-prone players in football, Reed has yet to miss a game this season. Unfortunately he hasn't been very productive, averaging a pedestrian 43.7 receiving yards per game with only one touchdown. Luckily he gets a favorable draw Sunday against an injury-ravaged Falcons secondary.

Source: atlantafalcons.com 

Oct 31 - 7:22 PM

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/37670/jordan-reed-still-dealing-with-the-pain-along-with-new-tactics?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

ASHBURN, Va. -- The numbers don’t match the way Washington Redskins tight end Jordan Reed feels about his season. Nor do they tell the entire story. He knows he’s still fighting pain in his toe. He knows he’s still rebuilding strength in his legs. He knows what he needs most is a healthy offseason.

Reed has caught 37 passes for 391 yards, putting him on a pace to finish with 66 receptions, 695 yards and two touchdowns. There are reasons why those numbers aren’t higher, starting with lingering pain after having surgery on both big toes this offseason.

“I feel like I’m starting to come over the curve,” he said. “[But] I’m still dealing with the pain. I have scar tissue in both my toes, and I’ve got to run routes and cut hard and slam my feet every day. I’m starting to learn how to manage it, find what works for me and what takes away the pain.”

Doctors visit Reed’s house daily. One, Daniel Karp, performs dry-needling on Reed's toes and has him do toe exercises. Because Reed couldn’t walk for seven weeks in the offseason, he said he’s still building strength. So Karp goes to work. Other doctors come over to perform various tasks.

“It hasn’t been like the past, but I also understand I’ve got a new quarterback I didn’t work with the whole offseason,” Reed said. “I’ve got two surgeries that are still healing up and still getting stronger, and I also understand I didn’t have an offseason. That being said, I’m still able to be productive and help the team. I’m proud of that.”

Reed has been targeted 6.5 times per game, an increase from last year’s 6.0, though he played only six games in 2017 because of his toes. However, he averaged 8.07 targets in 2015 and 7.3 targets in 2016.

But defenses are playing him differently, and both Reed and the Redskins need to adjust. Teams are playing less man coverage against Reed; he has feasted off that coverage in the past, especially when matched up against linebackers.

Jordan Reed, who had 11 touchdown catches in 2015, has three in his past 15 games.

Roy K. Miller/Icon Sportswire

However, when teams do play more man coverage against Reed, they're using cornerbacks or safeties.

“I’m learning they’re just as quick as me,” Reed said of the defensive backs. “I’m getting a lot of corners now. ... I can’t 'out-quick' them like the linebackers, so I have to attack them differently and use physicality and size. Also, they know my route game hasn’t been that vertical. It’s been underneath, so they’re sitting on the underneath [routes].”

Two plays vs. Tampa Bay illustrated the issue. On a third-and-5, Tampa Bay’s Andrew Adams was aligned 2 yards off Reed. As Reed came off the line, he shuffled his feet and cut inside. Adams never opened his hips, drove on the ball and broke up the pass.

Later in the game, on a second-and-10, Adams again was 2 yards off Reed. This time, Reed didn’t shuffle his feet off the line and pressed Adams vertically. Adams opened his hips, allowing Reed to break outside for a 6-yard catch.

“If you can get a guy to open his hips and have the suddenness Jordan has, then he’s going to win,” said Redskins tight ends coach Wes Phillips. “If a guy is playing downhill on the route the whole time because he never had to turn and open, he never felt the threat of a vertical route. That’s something our receivers are working on all the time.”

Reed has caught 62.7 percent of the passes thrown his way; his previous low in a season was 75 percent. Some of that stems from working with quarterback Alex Smith for the first time. To help the timing, Reed and Smith -- and other receivers -- work off to the side when special teams are practicing.

“I think it's not so much like, 'Hey, what has he done up to this point or how does it compare to years past?'" Smith said. “For me, it's where are we going, is it heading in the right direction and are we continuing to get better. I think we are headed there.”

Reed still leads the Redskins tight ends with 359 snaps. But the Redskins -- who are averaging almost the same amount of passes as last year -- have thrown on 65 percent of his snaps. They’ve run on 69 percent of backup Jeremy Sprinkle’s snaps. Reed considers Sprinkle and Vernon Davis “great blockers,” so he knows why they play more on run downs than he does. But they also somewhat lose an element of surprise when Reed is in the game.

Mostly, though, what Reed and the Redskins want is the same thing: good health.

“Now all I hope and pray for is to finish the season healthy and have the whole offseason to work on my craft and strengthen my whole body,” Reed said.

Until then, he’ll keep managing the pain in his toes and trying to do what the Redskins need.

“I can’t say enough about the way he’s worked to come back,” Phillips said. “He’s still fighting through it. ... He’s poised to have the games we know he’s capable of having.”

Looks like we've got ourselves a late season resurgence back to top 5 status. 

Eta in ppr leagues, anyhow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Redskins placed Jordan Reed (toe) on injured reserve.

Washington also placed Colt McCoy (leg) on injured reserve. Both had already been ruled out for the season finale. Despite staying healthy for most of the season, Reed had a fairly disappointing 2018, catching 54 passes for 558 yards and two touchdowns in 13 games. Reed should be fine for the offseason program.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Dec 27 - 11:34 AM

Jordan Reed said his feet are "way stronger than last year" and he feels "more explosive" a year removed from surgery.

Reed battled toe and foot issues each of the last two seasons, and this was the first offseason he didn't require surgery or need to rehab an injury in the last three years. Reed turned 29 earlier this month and has sort of become a forgotten man at the tight end spot for fantasy purposes. He's never played a full 16-game season in his career, but the red-zone passing offense still goes through him when healthy. He's basically free at the end of drafts right now. The bad news is this Redskins offense doesn't project to be any good.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jul 31, 2019, 9:09 AM ET

Currently ranked TE18 - he is not old for a TE, but his body is.  What he has going for him is a weak WR corps and Peterson isn't much in the passing game.

Currently ranked TE18 - he is not old for a TE, but his body is.  What he has going for him is a weak WR corps and Peterson isn't much in the passing game.
I think the problem is whatever format you are drafting, there are other guys I'd just much rather have.

Traditional Redraft - He's being drafted right about the same spot as Rudolph, and I would take Rudolph without hesitation over Reed. MIN may have drafted Smith but they paid Rudolph and I don't think much of the #3 WR in MIN. I trust Cousins to be a 4k+ QB so I'll take the #3 target in that offense. Reading the tea leaves every week to figure out if Reed is "healthy" and if so how healthy he is just isn't worth the headache. I would just feel a ton more secure choosing Rudolph to start than guessing on Reed week to week. Lastly, if Thielen/Diggs miss anytime then suddenly you have the #2 receiver in a 4k+ passing offense. If one of the WR's in WAS gets hurt I don't see it as much of a boost to Reed. If anything, Thompson COULD be healthy or Guice COULD be a good receiving back and suddenly Reed has a much, much lower possible floor than Rudolph and a lower ceiling if guys around him get hurt imo.

BestBall - This is the format that best fits Reed, but even then I'd just wait and take Eifert more than 50 picks later if you are looking for a scratcher ticket. I felt that way even before the Green injury because the offense has a fairly good chance of trending up with the new offensive coaching staff. Both of these guys are pretty good backup TE's in bestball so I'll take the cheaper one without hesitation. In this case Eifert is a lot cheaper.

Dynasty - I don't understand this ranking at all by sites I respect(Reed #22 dynasty). Andrews is only ranked a few spots earlier which seems crazy to me. Or I'd just wait and take Sternberger/Everett later than Reed is being ranked. That WAS offense just looks doomed if they are starting Flowers at LT and a rookie QB(that I actually like) for much of this season so I question if the offense produces enough this season for WAS to keep Reed even if he is healthy. Reed counts $9.7M against the cap this season(which is already pretty rich but there would be $3.6 of dead cap if they cut him so they will keep him) but in 2020 those numbers go to $10.3M/$1.8M so I don't see them keeping him unless he's playing near All-Pro level. Can an All-Pro receiver come out of that offense? Seems unlikely to me. At his age will he even get a for sure starting gig in his 30's with his injury history? There is a chance Reed takes a paycut to stay in WAS..... but an even better chance WAS blows up the entire coaching/front office staff with a core of Haskins/Guice/Love/McLaurin in 2020. Andrews, Sternberger, Everett are just so much younger with much more certain futures. 

I don't really dislike him as a player but I don't see any fantasy football format where I would take him before other guys being ranked right around where he's being ranked. Maybe most importantly I'm just fading his entire offense unless a WR falls very, very late in a deep league.

Jordan Reed was forced from Thursday's preseason game against the Falcons with a possible concussion.

Not good. Reed already has six documented concussions to his name. A seventh would have him doubtful for the opener, which is in just 17 days. Although the Redskins were surely counting on Reed missing time this season, his immediate absence would be a huge blow for a "skill group" without much skill to speak of.

Aug 22, 2019, 9:56 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirms Jordan Reed has been placed in the league's concussion protocol.

He suffered the injury on a colossal hit from Falcons safety Keanu Neal in Thursday's exhibition game. This is Reed's seventh reported concussion. With two weeks to go until the regular season, Reed—who was looking like a value at his 13th round ADP in standard leagues—the oft-injured tight end should be considered questionable bordering on doubtful for Washington's season opener at Philadelphia. His absence would leave the Redskins extremely thin on receiving weapons.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Aug 23, 2019, 1:29 PM ET

I respect his passion for the game but after yet another concussion he should really call it a career and maybe get into coaching to stay involved in the game.

Potentially jeopardizing  the rest of his life isn’t worth it. 

Hoping he’ll follow Nick Buoniconti’s example & donate his brain posthumously for CTE research.

He has some amazing games, notably that FF playoff stretch in 2015:

Week 14 9 targets 9-120-1

Week 15 7 targets 7-84-2

Week 16 11 targets 9-129-2

Pretty much the MVP of my last championship.

ETA: full PPR, murdered everyone that year

Probably time to walk away. 

Redskins coach Jay Gruden expects Jordan Reed (concussion) to be ready for the start of the season.

"We're quite confident that Jordan will be fine," Gruden told reporters on Reed's status. Reed was placed in the concussion protocol last week, but he has plenty of time to get ready for the season opener. Barring setbacks, there's a good chance Reed will be out there for Week 1.

SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter

Aug 27, 2019, 9:02 AM ET

He basically costs next to nothing now. Might as well ride him for a few weeks until he gets hurt again and then move on. 

never has the buy been lower for a TE that's shown eliteness ... in an offense that doesn't have a reliable WR1 ....

I gave Jace Sternberger and a 4th for Reed yesterday - call me crazy

He basically costs next to nothing now. Might as well ride him for a few weeks until he gets hurt again and then move on. 

never has the buy been lower for a TE that's shown eliteness ... in an offense that doesn't have a reliable WR1 ....

I gave Jace Sternberger and a 4th for Reed yesterday - call me crazy

True - he's likely going to be a target monster while he's on the field.
He SUCKED last year and he was healthy all year with a MUCH better QB.

Coach Jay Gruden told reporters Monday that Jordan Reed remains in the concussion protocol.

Reed didn't practice Monday. This is Reed's seventh reported concussion, so it wouldn't be at all surprising if he misses the team's Week 1 matchup against the Eagles. Vernon Davis has consistently taken over as the Redskins' full-time tight end whenever Reed has missed time over the years. Still, this isn't the easiest matchup against Malcolm Jenkins and company, who allowed the fourth-fewest fantasy points per game to tight ends in 2018.

RELATED: 

Vernon Davis

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter.

Sep 2, 2019, 1:15 PM ET

He has such terrible luck.  Even in Preseason he takes a shot to the head on a routine tackle. 

The Washington medical staff is like it's fine, nothing to worry about.  These independent neurologists are so particular. 

The Redskins will have a "good feeling" on Saturday morning whether Jordan Reed (concussion) plays Week 1.

Reed hasn't been cleared for contact yet and remains in the concussion protocol. With just two days to get cleared, Reed appears to be 50/50 to play against the Eagles. If Reed plays, he'll be a TE2. Vernon Davis will draw the start if not.

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter

Sep 6, 2019, 1:44 PM ET

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport has reported that Jordan Reed (concussion) isn't expected to suit up Sunday against the Eagles.

The news isn't particularly surprising considering Reed hasn't been cleared for contact yet. Vernon Davis is fully expected to start in his place. Still, this isn't the easiest matchup against Malcolm Jenkins and company, who allowed the fourth-fewest fantasy points per game to tight ends in 2018. Davis has averaged a meh 3.1-39.9-0.3 receiving line on 4.9 targets per game in 15 contests without Reed since joining the Redskins.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter.

Sep 7, 2019, 11:05 AM ET

There's been so much positive talk about him since camp. "Healthiest he has been in his career" Keenum said he's the best player he's ever thrown to. Landon Collins said both Reed and McLaurin were uncoverable all camp. And then the concussion happened.

Obviously you cant rely on him all year but I have a funny feeling he has a big game this week and is a solid TE1 when healthy. Probably gonna roll him out there this week over Njoku.

Reed had 54-558-2 last year while only playing 50% of snaps.  He was the 7th highest scoring tight end in PPR before he got hurt in week 14.  He is clearly a TE1 when healthy with top-5 potential.  Until he gets hurt.

Jordan Reed (concussion) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice.

Working back from his seventh reported concussion, Reed appears to be headed for another absence in Week 3. Vernon Davis won't be an appealing streamer against a stingy Bears secondary Monday night in Landover.

Sep 19, 2019, 1:15 PM ET

Jordan Reed (concussion) remained sidelined at Friday's practice.

Reed is still in the concussion protocol. He looks unlikely to get cleared for Monday night's game with Chicago. Vernon Davis will be a low-end streamer if Reed sits.

Sep 20, 2019, 12:45 PM ET

You have to think that he's contemplated retirement at some point, don't you?
I respect his love for the game but fear he's not going to know what planet he's on by the time he's 50. Its such a shame, he showed flashes of greatness but just couldn't ever stay healthy. 

Users who are viewing this thread