What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (1 Viewer)

Concept Coop

Footballguy
Draft him. Jump on the bandwagon. Enjoy the ride.

Post the cost of acquisition below so we can look back and laugh at our league mates when he wins us championships. I'll start:

3.02 (14tm 1.5PPR(TE))

Non-Schtick: He's a football player's football player - very tough. Fantasy TE prospects should be measured by their Gronk/Graham/Herandez potential; Reed has it. Joker TE who will create problems for opposing teams. Deadly in space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Travis Kelce as that guy more than I do Reed. Kelce/Reed are kind of like Gronk/Hern on a lower scale so I suppose it's just preference.

I like Travis Kelce as that guy more than I do Reed. Kelce/Reed are kind of like Gronk/Hern on a lower scale so I suppose it's just preference.
yeah I like Kelce too, seems like a good all around TE. I had him as my 2nd best TE in this years draft with a lot of potential.

I don't think there is much difference between him and Kyler Reed who is still looking for work. In one of my leagues he was scooped In the 3rd another undrafted

I don't think there is much difference between him and Kyler Reed who is still looking for work. In one of my leagues he was scooped In the 3rd another undrafted
I don't get the love either. Have watched him plenty. He isn't Aaron Hernandez. Nowhere near as good at getting separation.

Chris Gragg is probably closer to the player everyone thinks Jordan Reed is.

I take that back, Kyler Reed is in Jax now. Great spot for him...lets get that hype train rolling. Marcedes Lewis has to be weaker than Fred Davis, no?

I don't get the love either. Have watched him plenty. He isn't Aaron Hernandez. Nowhere near as good at getting separation.

He's not as fast as Hernandez, but is stronger and has better hands. As prospects, I think they're close. Hernandez's game obviously translated very well, and we're waiting to see with Reed.

Gragg is not nearly as agile or nimble as Reed. He's taller, likely stronger, and a better blocker. But their fantasy outlooks aren't comparable, in my opinion.

Disagree with you completely about Gragg/Reed(particularly in the agility department. Gragg can move). Disagree completely on how far apart Reed and Hernandez were as prospects as well. Hernandez got/gets separation with ease. Reed doesn't. Neither does Gragg, but he's probably better at it than Reed. As for fantasy outlooks; Hernandez got drafted by a team that already has Fred Davis, Paulsen and Paul in the fold(yes, I realize Davis was injured). The Bills have a banged up Scott Chandler and a couple of also rans at TE. I do not see that as a slam dunk in Reed's favor. I'd say they're about equal. Reed has the better QB, Gragg has the clearer road to PT. Both are more "move" tight ends than in-line guys, so both will likely be used as receivers first and foremost. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm providing a counterpoint. I watch a ton of SEC football, forced to watch many Gator games due to proximity. I just don't see this "sky is the limit" stuff with Reed at all. He should be okay, but I'm not expecting anything special. If he hadn't played for UF I doubt anyone would be making these Hernandez comparisons. I don't think Gragg is a world beater either, I just think he's as good as Reed....but you can get him at a more affordable rate.

I take that back, Kyler Reed is in Jax now. Great spot for him...lets get that hype train rolling. Marcedes Lewis has to be weaker than Fred Davis, no?
Lewis is one of the best blockers in the league. Certainly one of the best among those that also provide something as a receiver. Not an elite weapon, but not necessarily easy to unseat.

Lewis is one of the best blockers in the league. Certainly one of the best among those that also provide something as a receiver. Not an elite weapon, but not necessarily easy to unseat.
I was being mostly sarcastic. Kyler Reed is a different type of guy than Marcedes Lewis. Mostly and H-Back type of TE that doesn't play in-line. Ran a 4.4ish 40 if I remember correctly though and made some plays down the field despite the inaccuracy and poor fundamentals of Taylor Martinez

Disagree with you completely about Gragg/Reed(particularly in the agility department. Gragg can move). Disagree completely on how far apart Reed and Hernandez were as prospects as well. Hernandez got/gets separation with ease. Reed doesn't. Neither does Gragg, but he's probably better at it than Reed. As for fantasy outlooks; Hernandez got drafted by a team that already has Fred Davis, Paulsen and Paul in the fold(yes, I realize Davis was injured). The Bills have a banged up Scott Chandler and a couple of also rans at TE. I do not see that as a slam dunk in Reed's favor. I'd say they're about equal. Reed has the better QB, Gragg has the clearer road to PT. Both are more "move" tight ends than in-line guys, so both will likely be used as receivers first and foremost. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm providing a counterpoint. I watch a ton of SEC football, forced to watch many Gator games due to proximity. I just don't see this "sky is the limit" stuff with Reed at all. He should be okay, but I'm not expecting anything special. If he hadn't played for UF I doubt anyone would be making these Hernandez comparisons. I don't think Gragg is a world beater either, I just think he's as good as Reed....but you can get him at a more affordable rate.
I watch every Gator game I can, and go to at least one in person, per year, as a big Gator fan (Cocktail party this year). I respect your opinion, but feel pretty good about my mine, as well. I like the landing spot for Reed; Paul is nothing, and Davis is gone very soon. Gragg was a 7th round pick and is nothing but a roll of the dice at this point. But we'll see.

I'm naturally a fan of TEs who can't block a lock but who get drafted in the middle rounds, anyway. In case this comes off as sarcastic, I'm actually being serious- that's a player profile that I tend to be a fan of. If a player is terrible at 50% of a position's job description but still gets drafted relatively high, he must be pretty dang good at the other 50%.

I'm naturally a fan of TEs who can't block a lock but who get drafted in the middle rounds, anyway. In case this comes off as sarcastic, I'm actually being serious- that's a player profile that I tend to be a fan of. If a player is terrible at 50% of a position's job description but still gets drafted relatively high, he must be pretty dang good at the other 50%.
I agree with you. It took me a long time to figure out, but if a TE get drafted rather high even though the team knows he can't block, well I guess that means they are expecting him to catch the ball.

I'm less worried about his competition since Fred Davis is on a one year deal and basically had to tuck his tail between his legs and go back to the Redskins. If he's re-signed to a long term deal that's a big blow to Reed but if they let him walk next year and don't sign/draft another good TE I expect him to get his chance over the likes of Paul and Paulsen.

He's not as fast as Hernandez, but is stronger and has better hands. As prospects, I think they're close. Hernandez's game obviously translated very well, and we're waiting to see with Reed.
The speed difference is negligible IMO - Reed ran his at the combine while Hernandez ran his at the Pro Day.

Where Hernandez had the advantage was in strength - 30 reps to 16. Reed must get a lot stronger by next year if he wants to earn the starting job.

cstu said:
I'm less worried about his competition since Fred Davis is on a one year deal and basically had to tuck his tail between his legs and go back to the Redskins. If he's re-signed to a long term deal that's a big blow to Reed but if they let him walk next year and don't sign/draft another good TE I expect him to get his chance over the likes of Paul and Paulsen.
Davis is also one toke away from a full year suspension...

Adam Harstad said:
Yep, got him at 5.6 in an idp dyno. Thrilled.

cstu said:

The speed difference is negligible IMO - Reed ran his at the combine while Hernandez ran his at the Pro Day.

Where Hernandez had the advantage was in strength - 30 reps to 16. Reed must get a lot stronger by next year if he wants to earn the starting job.
With the ball in his hands, Reed is very tough to bring down. His lower body is very strong. I also agree with the notion that Hernandez was faster in pads than Reed, and a bit quicker, too. But close as ahletes, I'd say.

cstu said:
Davis is also one toke away from a full year suspension...
Didn't Davis just tear his achilles last year? That is pretty scary stuff.

Asked about Reed, Shanahan admitted that the Redskins weren’t really looking for a tight end, but that they remained true to their draft board and went with the best player available.

“We took a look at Reed and he’s got a great ability to make people miss. When he’s got the ball in his hands, he can do things with the ball that is very athletic, something that a lot of tight ends can’t do. We weren’t necessarily looking for a tight end, but when he was there, we couldn’t pass him up.

“He brings a lot of things to our football team that we didn’t have, that we don’t have, and now we get a chance to see what he can do,” the coach later added.

Shanahan compared Reed to Aaron Hernandez of the New England Patriots, but said that Reed, who clocked a 4.7-second 40-yard dash, is faster. The coach likes that Reed can line up at tight end, slot receiver, split out wide and also at H-back. He said that versatility will put pressure on opposing defenses.

Sounds like this dude is already out with 2 different injuries, so much for that....
Where are you seeing this?
He is dealing with a minor knee injury. Nothing to be concerned about.
knee & quad, agree with the minor, but it would be nice for him to get reps considering how difficult it is for TE's to learn NFL offenses and the fact they want to move him all around the offensive formations

Rotoworld:

Redskins third-round TE Jordan Reed (thigh) ended up missing all of OTAs and minicamp.

Reed's injury was more severe than a standard muscle pull. "I had a [thigh] contusion in college and that caused my quad to shutdown and stop working, which caused my kneecap to start moving around and banging into my bone, and that caused a bone bruise," he said. "As long as I get that quad back firing right, my kneecap will stay in place and I'll be normal again." The Redskins are expecting Reed to be behind in training camp.

Jun 19 - 11:11 AM
Source: Real Redskins

Just took him at 4.06 in an IDP league. He was the 4th TE off the board.

2.3 - Tyler Eifert

2.10 - Travis Kelce

3.01 - Zach Ertz

4.06 - Jordan Reed

This might sound stupid, but if he's a smart kid, in the long run it may be better for him that he missed OTA's with injury. Because he spent all of OTA's and minicamps working with RG3 directly, catching the ball and working out. Trust and a connection with your star QB is seriously underrated.

This might sound stupid, but if he's a smart kid, in the long run it may be better for him that he missed OTA's with injury. Because he spent all of OTA's and minicamps working with RG3 directly, catching the ball and working out. Trust and a connection with your star QB is seriously underrated.
Interesting point.

For value, I prefer Vance McDonald. Might be more akin to Jason witten than gronk, but that's okay.

For value, I prefer Vance McDonald. Might be more akin to Jason witten than gronk, but that's okay.
I love all the rookie TEs this year. I think they're perhaps the only value plays in an otherwise brutally disappointing class.

I love all the rookie TEs this year. I think they're perhaps the only value plays in an otherwise brutally disappointing class.
There does seem to be quite a few TEs with potential this year. I also like some IDPs, but otherwise agree.

Point-Counterpoint: Redskins impact rookies

By Tarik El-Bashir and Rich Tandler

Excerpt:

Offense

Rich Tandler: One area where rookies frequently make a instant impact is at running back so I’m looking forChris Thompson to make some plays. He should go into training camp at 100 percent after suffering a torn ACL last year. Thompson has the speed element that was missing from the backfield last year. It’s easy to see Kyle Shanahan drawing up some plays to get him the ball in space and seeing Thompson making big plays when he gets it.

Tarik El-Bashir: I’ll come right out and say it: I’m a sucker for speed and skill. So I fully endorse Rich’s choice to go with Thompson. For me, though, I can’t wait to see what the Shanahans have in store forJordan Reed. The versatile, 6 foot 3, 225-pound tight end hasn’t been on the field yet because of a somewhat concerning knee/quad issue, so he’s got some catching up to do. But he’s supposed to be ready for camp. He led all SEC tight ends with 45 receptions as junior last sason. But take a look at this video to see why I’m so intrigued.

Rotoworld:

Redskins rookie TE Jordan Reed was a full-go for the start of training camp after missing OTAs with a knee/quad injury.
Reed is an athletic, undersized, movable prospect out of Florida. He's the No. 3 TE behind Fred Davis and Logan Paulsen.

Rotoworld:

Rookie TE Jordan Reed (foot) has resumed practicing at Redskins camp.
Reed missed OTAs with a knee/quad injury and a large chunk of training camp with the mid-foot sprain, including last Thursday's preseason opener. Reed is a decent long-term prospect, but isn't slated for much rookie-year impact.

Source: Chris Russell on Twitter

The Redskins have four options at TE so not expecting much from Reed this year, but he looked good in his brief action against the Bills. Big body with good quickness. Definitely should be on all deep dynasty rosters (20+ players per team)

Interesting point.
Update:I truly believe that this is playing a large factor in his early performances. RG3 is searching for anything to be comfortable with right now as he works his way back, and Reed is one of those things.

At the same time, Reed is being put on the field by the coaches, so he's earned their trust as well.

This is a capital "G" Good thing, right here. Because none of the Redskins receiving options is standing out beyond Garçon and there's lots of value to be had as a favored weapon of RG3.

Plus there's the fact that RG3 and Davis have hardly played together, with injuries for both of them and other things. They've got no connection, and Fred Davis just isn't that great.

There could be a ton of value here. Reed was a good prospect drafted fairly highly by a team with a LOT of other needs, and on top of it, he's not a great blocker which is something that Shanahan values very highly in any player he puts on the field. So that puts you even more on notice as to how much he likes this kid.

Reed is the first weapon the Skins drafted for RG3 in a fairly significant area of the draft (3rd).

Imagine the hype any receiving prospect finally drafted in CAR would get, when the Panthers mozy their way into trying to help their young franchise QB. Especially if he's taken in the top 3 rounds. That guys value, when he's drafted, will be enormous.

That's the situation Reed is in with Griffin. And yet he's gotten almost no dynasty hype other than this thread and other minor references.

That's the situation Reed is in with Griffin. And yet he's gotten almost no dynasty hype other than this thread and other minor references.
He's my #13 ranked TE and my #14 ranked rookie. Tefertiller and Ryan McDowell from DynastyLeagueFootball are also both firmly on the bandwagon, too (they've both been on longer than I have, going all the way back to February or so). For the most part, though... you're right, he's flying completely off the radar. It seems people have him in the mid teens or the mid 30s, with very few people falling somewhere in between the two extremes.

He's my #13 ranked TE and my #14 ranked rookie. Tefertiller and Ryan McDowell from DynastyLeagueFootball are also both firmly on the bandwagon, too (they've both been on longer than I have, going all the way back to February or so). For the most part, though... you're right, he's flying completely off the radar. It seems people have him in the mid teens or the mid 30s, with very few people falling somewhere in between the two extremes.
There's such an enormous glut of unexciting, closely valued, replacement-level TE's right now in dynasty that rankings-wise you either believe he can be a difference maker, or you don't, in which case he's not worth talking about, as mediocre TE production can be found on the street. So there seem to be few believers, or few are paying attention. Because you're right, anyone who likes him should be ranking him in the top 15 at least, just based on the fact that he's a talented unknown in a good situation, and we know exactly what tons of current TE's are, and are not. The potential that he's something more should boost his stock alone.

I'm officially intrigued by Reed. But I know very little about him other than what I've read in this thread. How could a guy that has aaron hernandez level of skill go this far under the radar until now? So, where would you rank Reed on this list of flying under the radar dynasty prospects:

Jordan Reed

Ladarius Green (Gates is gone soon)

Travis Kelce

Charles Clay

Would you please describe his ceiling?

I'm interested to know whether people value Clay or Reed higher in both redraft and dyansty. Right now it's probably Clay in redraft and Reed in dynasty, right?

(I also need a TE2 behind Finley and am wondering which one I should shoot for, redraft)

Might drop D. Allen for him. Those hip issues tend to linger and If Coby starts getting it together with Andrew I dont think the targets will be there for Allen as much.

Plus if Redskins are playing catch up alot, the weapons are not exactly great in Washington

Add in Fred Davis doesnt seem to be doing anything and he might make a decent ww fill in te

I'm officially intrigued by Reed. But I know very little about him other than what I've read in this thread. How could a guy that has aaron hernandez level of skill go this far under the radar until now? So, where would you rank Reed on this list of flying under the radar dynasty prospects:

Jordan Reed

Ladarius Green (Gates is gone soon)

Travis Kelce

Charles Clay
He's just slightly less athletic than Hernandez - a little smaller, a little slower and maybe not as agile. He's very similar to Hernandez just not quite the athlete.

Users who are viewing this thread