What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (2 Viewers)

Price check if he improves and turns into TE2 behind Graham? I'd love to get two 1sts for him about 4-5 games into the season. Out of the question?

Price check if he improves and turns into TE2 behind Graham? I'd love to get two 1sts for him about 4-5 games into the season. Out of the question?
In a standard league? Yeah, probably. The idea of getting two firsts for any TE who hasn't had a 1200 yard or 16 TD season is tough. Getting it for one with concussion woes is tougher still.If Jordan Reed plays 16 games and finishes with crazy, Graham-like numbers, you'll probably be able to get a pair of firsts for him after the season, but short of that (or sooner than that) I doubt it's happening. TEs just generally aren't viewed as that valuable in dynasty unless they're putting up high-end WR numbers.

Yeah i agree with that. Hell the league I'm in I'd be lucky to get anything for him. Very few trades. .....

What's his value in PPR dynasty right now. A first ?
What pick do you expect Ebron to be taken with in your rookie draft?

Do you like Jordan Reed better or worse than Ebron?

That'll give you a pretty good idea of what he's worth, though who knows if he'd actually fetch that, because TE values fluctuate so much from league to league.

Rotoworld:

Redskins second-year TE Jordan Reed has suffered four concussions including college and his rookie season in the NFL.

Reed only played three seasons at Florida, so it's four concussions in a four-year span. Reed conceded he hid a concussion sustained two weeks before the one that cut his rookie year seven games short. He also suffered two concussions at UF. "I was in a bad spot for a long time," Reed admitted, referring to last year. "I started to get a little scared after about two months – like, ‘Maybe I’m going to be like this forever,’ ... But it ended up going away." Concussions can become cumulative, meaning each one a player suffers causes more severe symptoms. Therefore, gaining medical clearance takes longer after several of them. Reed brings tons of upside into the 2014 season, but also substantial injury risk.

Source: Washington Times

Jun 5 - 8:25 AM

Does this change how you guys view him now? I am trying to figure out if he is now more risk than reward. I don't know much about concussions (it says that are cumulative and each once gives more severe symptoms) are concussions also easier to get once you've had them? I haven't seen any content yet from Bramel, but one on Jordan Reed I think would be interesting to a lot of people.

Does this change how you guys view him now? I am trying to figure out if he is now more risk than reward. I don't know much about concussions (it says that are cumulative and each once gives more severe symptoms) are concussions also easier to get once you've had them? I haven't seen any content yet from Bramel, but one on Jordan Reed I think would be interesting to a lot of people.
Hard to know honestly. Concussions seem so random. Sometimes a guy gets laid out and is completely fine. Other times, just the slightest hit can cause one. I think he could be worth the risk though. When healthy, he was a top 5 TE option last season.

Not really. We already knew that the concussion had laid him up for several months. This seems more like a restatement of his risks than a discovery of new risks.

Concussions are no joke. They're one of the few injuries that will actually get me to slap the "injury-prone" label on someone. At the same time, they're not a death sentence. LeSean McCoy missed an entire month in 2012 with a lingering concussion. Cecil Shorts was put on season-ending IR due to concussion symptoms that wouldn't resolve. Both came back in 2013 and played without any further concussion scares. Hell, even Austin Collie was back playing in the league again last year. Jordan Reed is certainly going to be at heightened concern for the rest of his career, and any further concussions will carry disproportionately large consequences compared to other players... but he's not Jahvid Best, where his very career is in jeopardy.

Hard to know honestly. Concussions seem so random. Sometimes a guy gets laid out and is completely fine. Other times, just the slightest hit can cause one. I think he could be worth the risk though. When healthy, he was a top 5 TE option last season.
I traded Reed in most of my leagues prior to this; I didn't get anything close to what people in this thread say hes worth (nor would I give it) but took what my market would give me. The kid has only been i the league 1 yr and now we learn he has atleast 4 concussions and attempted to hid one most likely causing more damage... that would lower my bidding price big time for him.

You gotta figure one more big one and its over

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Harstad said:
Not really. We already knew that the concussion had laid him up for several months. This seems more like a restatement of his risks than a discovery of new risks.

Concussions are no joke. They're one of the few injuries that will actually get me to slap the "injury-prone" label on someone. At the same time, they're not a death sentence. LeSean McCoy missed an entire month in 2012 with a lingering concussion. Cecil Shorts was put on season-ending IR due to concussion symptoms that wouldn't resolve. Both came back in 2013 and played without any further concussion scares. Hell, even Austin Collie was back playing in the league again last year. Jordan Reed is certainly going to be at heightened concern for the rest of his career, and any further concussions will carry disproportionately large consequences compared to other players... but he's not Jahvid Best, where his very career is in jeopardy.
Isn't it a new discovery though? As opposed to one major concussion that held him out, it now seems like it was a mild concussion that he played with, got hit and then either the severity got worse or a new concussion occurred altogether. I'm in the Jordan Reed camp regardless, because of you and Coop I drafted him with my second to last pick in start up, I just want to make sure I don't have to have a stream session of scott chandler and mercedes lewis if things go bad.

Adam Harstad said:

Concussions are no joke. They're one of the few injuries that will actually get me to slap the "injury-prone" label on someone. At the same timey're not a death sentence. LeSean McCoy missed an entire month in 2012 with a lingering concussion. Cecil Shorts was put on season-ending IR due to concussion symptoms that wouldn't resolve. Both came back in 2013 and played without any further concussion scares. Hell, even Austin Collie was back playing in the league again last year. Jordan Reed is certainly going to be at heightened concern for the rest of his career, and any further concussions will carry disproportionately large consequences compared to other players... but he's not Jahvid Best, where his very career is in jeopardy.
Not sure why you don't think it could put his career at risk like Best and Collie.

Adam Harstad said:

Concussions are no joke. They're one of the few injuries that will actually get me to slap the "injury-prone" label on someone. At the same timey're not a death sentence. LeSean McCoy missed an entire month in 2012 with a lingering concussion. Cecil Shorts was put on season-ending IR due to concussion symptoms that wouldn't resolve. Both came back in 2013 and played without any further concussion scares. Hell, even Austin Collie was back playing in the league again last year. Jordan Reed is certainly going to be at heightened concern for the rest of his career, and any further concussions will carry disproportionately large consequences compared to other players... but he's not Jahvid Best, where his very career is in jeopardy.
Not sure why you don't think it could put his career at risk like Best and Collie.
It could, eventually. It doesn't currently. Best and Collie had such big concussion issues their teams essentially wouldn't play them. Jordan Reed is pretty far from that point- instead, his team still seems pretty eager to use him. Maybe he gets another serious concussion and he gets there. That's a risk. Maybe he doesn't. Cecil Shorts had some really major concussion issues in 2012, but he was totally fine in 2013, to the point where they've now been largely forgotten.

In my mind, it's the difference between a guy like Percy Harvin, who failed a drug test at the combine, and a guy like Gordon or Blackmon, who are habitual offenders. Some one-time-offenders in the Harvin Group are going to eventually make the jump to habitual offender status (after all, all habitual offenders had to start in the one-time offender group), but plenty more will not. Will Jordan Reed eventually make the jump on concussions? Maybe, but I'm not going to value him today like he already has, while ignoring the chances that a few years from now he'll be fine and this will all be forgotten.

There's two things about his concussion issues that scare me more than injuries normally do.

1) They lingered for a long time. To me, this is a bad sign, indicating that any more concussions could be long, painful and cause extended outages.

2) He was lying about it. I think in the past this mentality to lie to stay on he field would have been celebrated, but now it's a big red flag to me, especially with head issues.

I think he's going to be a stud when he plays this year, and will have some monster games. But I think the risk of extended injury absence is much greater with him. I like him for best ball formats, and if I can pair him with another top TE and flex him I will, but I just can't put all my eggs in his basket.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Reed had "another eye-opening day" at Tuesday's minicamp practice.

Reed is over his latest concussion bout, practicing without issue and doing work. "Reed is going to be such a big part of this offense if he can stay healthy," said reporter Chris Russell. With DeSean Jackson running vertical routes up the sideline and Pierre Garcon attracting attention, the middle of the field is going to be wide open for the athletically gifted Reed. He's a mid-range TE1 with significant upside if you can stomach the injury risk.

Source: ESPN 980

Jun 18 - 9:29 AM

If this guy comes out of the gate hot I'm trying to trade him for a 2015 mid to high 1st round pick. I'm not sure if I can get that for him but he just scares the crap out of me. He could be out of the league next year.

I can get a 1.11 and heath miller for him right now but I won't do it. Do his injuries scare me? yes. But at least with him I know he will be used and can play at a pretty elite level. I have no idea if Ebron or Amaro can play at that level. It's almost a wash for me because you would draft those two wanting them to put up the numbers Reed can, but the risk is we haven't seen them in the offense and don't know if they can play at the NFL level or even when their chance to be the undisputed go to TE will be. With Reed, he plays immediately and when healthy dominates, the risk is just different because it's with injury. As Adam said I'd rather take risk of injury over risk of uncertainty, talent, situation etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
So according to Footballguys Jordan Reed is both an Overvalued Player and a Value Play. :loco:

The concussions scare me to the point where I'd err on the side of caution and only draft him if it was a sizable value play.

So according to Footballguys Jordan Reed is both an Overvalued Player and a Value Play. :loco:

The concussions scare me to the point where I'd err on the side of caution and only draft him if it was a sizable value play.
You'll noticed injured players, in particular, popping up on a ton of lists as both undervalued and overvalued, mostly because there tend to be pretty big splits among the staff in how heavily they weigh injury history. For example, Gronkowski tied Olsen with the most votes for "undervalued" and also tied Reed for the second most votes for "overvalued". Percy Harvin ranked #1 among WRs in "undervalued" votes and #3 among WRs in "overvalued" votes. If a guy suffers a major injury this season, it's a good bet you're going to find him ranking high on both "overvalued" and "undervalued" lists next June.

You'll noticed injured players, in particular, popping up on a ton of lists as both undervalued and overvalued, mostly because there tend to be pretty big splits among the staff in how heavily they weigh injury history. For example, Gronkowski tied Olsen with the most votes for "undervalued" and also tied Reed for the second most votes for "overvalued". Percy Harvin ranked #1 among WRs in "undervalued" votes and #3 among WRs in "overvalued" votes. If a guy suffers a major injury this season, it's a good bet you're going to find him ranking high on both "overvalued" and "undervalued" lists next June.
Understood. I think that's the point where you really need to take stock of the injury in question and assess the likelihood of it occurring again. The cumulative effects of concussions is scary business and the league, rightly, doesn't mess around with their concussion protocol any longer. Jordan Reed has had three concussions (two in college, one in the NFL) that we know of, and once you had a concussion you seem more likely to have another, unlike a broken bone, etc.

Understood. I think that's the point where you really need to take stock of the injury in question and assess the likelihood of it occurring again. The cumulative effects of concussions is scary business and the league, rightly, doesn't mess around with their concussion protocol any longer. Jordan Reed has had three concussions (two in college, one in the NFL) that we know of, and once you had a concussion you seem more likely to have another, unlike a broken bone, etc.
He admitted that he lied and had two concussions last year.

I have Reed in a dynasty league. I have high expectations that he'll do well. But just to mitigate some of the risk, I am going to target a journeyman backup in case Jordan gets another concussion.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Reed - TE - Redskins

Redskins OC Sean McVay promises second-year TE Jordan Reed "is going to be a key player in our offense."

McVay spent 2013 as Washington's TEs coach, which can't hurt Reed's chances. "Hes an elite route runner for the position, and he still competes with the toughness," McVay said of Reed. "Hes got great feet, so he can cover guys up in the run game. I think what well try to do with him will maximize his skillset. Hes done a great job this offseason, so hes in position to have a great year."

Source: redskins.com

Jun 25 - 7:21 PM

I'm doing a dynasty start up and really want to roll the dice. Say he goes off then that's awesome, if he is plagued by injuries and blows up my roster then I just get a higher first round pick next year. Seems to mitigate the risk a little

I know Reed carries a pretty good injury risk, but there reports so far have been nothing but good things. Yes, concussions are a tough injury to overcome if they become a pattern, but I think he's worth the gamble. Reed could easily be a top 5 TE this year if he stays healthy. But can't the same be said for Gronk?

Saw this blurb in this morning's FBG e-mail:

Reed had a couple of very strong games last year, but with DeSean Jackson in the mix, his ceiling is probably well below that of the top four options at tight end.
See, I think Jackson helps Jordan. With very little at WR, teams could focus their defensive coverage on Reed. Now that Jackson's on the team, it seems reasonable to assume that this will open up the short and intermediate routes for Reed. I think this is going to be a big year for Reed. I know there's an injury risk, but risk doesn't seem to hurt Gronkowski's stock all that much.

Reed had a couple of very strong games last year, but with DeSean Jackson in the mix, his ceiling is probably well below that of the top four options at tight end.
See, I think Jackson helps Jordan. With very little at WR, teams could focus their defensive coverage on Reed. Now that Jackson's on the team, it seems reasonable to assume that this will open up the short and intermediate routes for Reed. I think this is going to be a big year for Reed. I know there's an injury risk, but risk doesn't seem to hurt Gronkowski's stock all that much.
To be fair, Gronkowski's injury concerns are not the same as Reed's. Gronk has a blown knee now, but his forearm injury seems to be a thing of the past, and I don't remember hearing about any back issues after his return last year. Concussions seem like they are more at risk to be repeated than Gronk's injuries. Furthermore, Gronkowski showed, for several seasons, that he can hit very lofty TE numbers. Reed has flashed the potential to possibly put up big numbers, but hasn't actually done it yet.

DJax isn't going to prevent him from being hit. Getting the ball to Reed was never the problem.

Rotoworld:

Robert Griffin III believes Jordan Reed is "one of the most talented tight ends in the league."

"He's a guy that runs some of the best routes I've ever seen," RGIII continued. "Our offensive coordinator, Sean McVay, has said that you can't cover the guy. If (Reed) knows what he's doing, where he's going and he knows how he's trying to get there, you can't cover him." Reed is going to be a big part of the offense and has a chance to catch the second-most balls on the team, behind Pierre Garcon. The real concern with Reed is that he's a massive risk for concussions. He enters training camp as a mid-range TE1 with gobs of upside.

Source: FOX Sports

Jul 4 - 11:22 AM

Nobody who watched him doubts his talents. But he's got a soft melon. I like him in redraft but not in dynasty.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Reed has reportedly jumped out at the Redskins' joint-team practices with the Patriots.

This news isn't coming from a Redskins writer, either. It's from the Boston Globe's Ben Volin, who now believes Reed "is in line for a big season" after repeatedly burning an improved New England back seven in the scrimmages. Reed's concussion history is the lone real concern for his 2014 outlook. He is a plus athlete and the biggest member of an otherwise diminutive Skins pass-catching corps, which should lead to red-zone opportunities.

Source: Boston Globe

Aug 4 - 2:53 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim thinks TE Jordan Reed could lead the team in receptions.

"He's an excellent target in multiple situations -- third downs, red zone, early downs -- because of his size and athleticism," said Keim. "I'd expect Reed or Pierre Garcon to lead in receptions." Reed certainly has the upside to be a big contributor for the Redskins' offense, but his health is a concern. Including college, Reed has suffered four concussions in the last four seasons, and missed the final seven games of 2013 with a head injury. The injury concerns are real, but Reed has high-end TE1 upside if he can stay on the field.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 6 - 10:27 AM

Nobody who watched him doubts his talents. But he's got a soft melon. I like him in redraft but not in dynasty.
This is my feeling exactly. He already has a pattern of concussions. They are the type of injury that get worse and recur and can eventually kill a career. That being said, I love his talent and expect him to have a great 2014.

Any news on Reed? I'm curently starting Ladarius Green over him (Gates is a wee bit injured) but also could sign and start Kelce.

Thumb injury, questionable, expected to play.

Washington tight end Jordan Reed (thumb) is listed as questionable but is expected to play in the team's Week 1 game against the Houston Texans. Reed is dealing with a minor sprain in his thumb, but the injury didn't prevent him from practicing fully Wednesday through Friday.
http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2014/9/7/6114353/jordan-reed-injury-fantasy-football-status-washington-vs-texans
Thanks. I think I'm going to take a shot with Green

Judging by what Niles Paul did (4/86) I'd guess that Reed was in for a big day. Shame.

Any clues about how long he will be out? I'm guessing 2-4 weeks?

Soft melon, weak hammies. Not someone you want to hitch your wagon to.
Dude's had one hamstring injury in his career. Don't you think the "weak hammies" talk is a little premature? If one hamstring injury means a guy has weak hammies, that must mean you're selling Calvin Johnson everywhere, right? Dez Bryant has had minor hamstring issues in 2010, 2012, and 2013. Hamstring injuries are pretty common. Most players don't become Miles Austin.

Soft melon, weak hammies. Not someone you want to hitch your wagon to.
Dude's had one hamstring injury in his career. Don't you think the "weak hammies" talk is a little premature? If one hamstring injury means a guy has weak hammies, that must mean you're selling Calvin Johnson everywhere, right? Dez Bryant has had minor hamstring issues in 2010, 2012, and 2013. Hamstring injuries are pretty common. Most players don't become Miles Austin.
I think lod01 was trying to be cute with the way he worded this but I have owned Reed since the start. His concussion history is common knowledge. The rest, it's not just the hammy injury, he always has something ailing it seems and he hasn't shown he will play through any injury.

Users who are viewing this thread