What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (5 Viewers)

Soft melon, weak hammies. Not someone you want to hitch your wagon to.
Dude's had one hamstring injury in his career. Don't you think the "weak hammies" talk is a little premature? If one hamstring injury means a guy has weak hammies, that must mean you're selling Calvin Johnson everywhere, right? Dez Bryant has had minor hamstring issues in 2010, 2012, and 2013. Hamstring injuries are pretty common. Most players don't become Miles Austin.
I think lod01 was trying to be cute with the way he worded this but I have owned Reed since the start. His concussion history is common knowledge. The rest, it's not just the hammy injury, he always has something ailing it seems and he hasn't shown he will play through any injury.
This is unfortunately true for all practical purposes...

Just picked him up as my TE1 in my only redraft league. Proceeded to drop his frail ### and picked up Josh Gordon (undrafted due to his suspension). Here's hoping Gordon gets reinstated! :banned:

Dude's had one hamstring injury in his career. Don't you think the "weak hammies" talk is a little premature? If one hamstring injury means a guy has weak hammies, that must mean you're selling Calvin Johnson everywhere, right? Dez Bryant has had minor hamstring issues in 2010, 2012, and 2013. Hamstring injuries are pretty common. Most players don't become Miles Austin.
I think lod01 was trying to be cute with the way he worded this but I have owned Reed since the start. His concussion history is common knowledge. The rest, it's not just the hammy injury, he always has something ailing it seems and he hasn't shown he will play through any injury.
Hasn't shown he will play through any injury? He hid the fact that he was concussed for several weeks last year in order to play.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000356187/article/redskins-jordan-reed-admits-he-hid-concussion-in-13

Whats the deal with this fugazi? Anyone have any info on the timetable for his hammy? Is he even worth rostering if you have other good TEs? I'm thinking of dropping reed for an upside RB like crowell or taliaferro. It pains me though bc I was so high on him this preseason, but the kid just can't stay on the field. Whether it's his head or his thumb or his hammy...always something with him.

Hasn't shown he will play through any injury? He hid the fact that he was concussed for several weeks last year in order to play.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000356187/article/redskins-jordan-reed-admits-he-hid-concussion-in-13
Be that as it may, hammy injuries always scare me. They just seem to linger like a turd that won't flush. Unfortunately the only way to clear a hammy injury is with proper rest. Most players/teams aren't content with that and guys rush back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I traded him before the season and I couldn't be happier about that. The Skins offense is a dumpster fire and I don't think he's a special player anymore. He was just in a situation last year where he was getting a ton of targets.

I traded him before the season and I couldn't be happier about that. The Skins offense is a dumpster fire and I don't think he's a special player anymore. He was just in a situation last year where he was getting a ton of targets.
You don't think he's special because he got injured?

You don't think he's special because he got injured?
No I got caught up in the moment because I'm a skins fan and went all homer over him. His injury risk was only part of the equation for me but once I came to my senses I thought he was way overvalued so I sold high on him.

I find it ridiculous when the advice is to drop him. Guy is a potential top 5 TE, so he missed a few weeks. People are so impatient.

I find it ridiculous when the advice is to drop him. Guy is a potential top 5 TE, so he missed a few weeks. People are so impatient.
On the other hand, some of us find it silly to carry two tight ends this early in the season, especially after owning Reed last year.

Totally depends on what the situation is...redraft with short benches when you already have a good te = drop him for wr/rb depth. For example, I do not think anyone would ever have the balls to flex him, so why carry him? I don't know that I would call him potential top 5 either. Now that the Skins have DeSean and the running game is more established, there are more mouths to feed. Top 5 for any given week? Sure. For the season? It does not look that way to me.

To me, he looks like another version of Finley; great athlete who was maddening to own because of injuries/lost opportunities to other players on his own team.

Totally depends on what the situation is...redraft with short benches when you already have a good te = drop him for wr/rb depth. For example, I do not think anyone would ever have the balls to flex him, so why carry him? I don't know that I would call him potential top 5 either. Now that the Skins have DeSean and the running game is more established, there are more mouths to feed. Top 5 for any given week? Sure. For the season? It does not look that way to me.

To me, he looks like another version of Finley; great athlete who was maddening to own because of injuries/lost opportunities to other players on his own team.
I drafted him to flex him

You flexing him now?

You flexing him now?
yea

Niles Paul had a very nice game in Reed's stead. I think the TE will continue to be a part of the gameplan.

Niles Paul had a very nice game in Reed's stead. I think the TE will continue to be a part of the gameplan.
Not arguing that te is or isn't part of the Redskin game plan, as a matter of fact, I am sure Reed will have some great games this year. Finley had some awesome games as a Packer, most guys who chose to own him had a very bad time though. I would be alarmed at the fact that some schlep named Niles Paul had a very good game last week because if he has another very good game this week, he will have most likely worked his way into the rotation, making this a 'by committee' situation.

He did have a nice game. A lot of that is due to the "cover everything deep" pass defense Houston was using leaving the TE open. But I don't think the Redskins will aim as many targets at Paul as they would at Reed Paul has inexplicable drops and fumbles, and has hurt the team in many games (including last week). Logan Paulsen is primarily a blocking tight end catching a few short passes a game. The Skins offense is seriously hurt without Reed, which is why I said in the preseason they were weak at TE -- because Reed was so injury-prone and the dropoff after him was so steep.

He did have a nice game. A lot of that is due to the "cover everything deep" pass defense Houston was using leaving the TE open. But I don't think the Redskins will aim as many targets at Paul as they would at Reed Paul has inexplicable drops and fumbles, and has hurt the team in many games (including last week). Logan Paulsen is primarily a blocking tight end catching a few short passes a game. The Skins offense is seriously hurt without Reed, which is why I said in the preseason they were weak at TE -- because Reed was so injury-prone and the dropoff after him was so steep.
Gruden certainly seems to be keeping a spot open for him, basically saying all he has to do is get in one full practice. Cousins coming in too. Starting to feel a little sketchy watching Paul pile up stats that should be going to Reed...

Who would have thought before the season started that you'd be talking about the Cousins to Paul connection as your major point production?

I jumped off the train for at least a bit in my salary capo league. I need to have a TE for week 4 Julius Thomas bye so I dropped Reed ($3) for Kelce ($1) and saved a couple dollars in cap space. He will probably be on my short list of potential pickups after week 4 though.

Who would have thought before the season started that you'd be talking about the Cousins to Paul connection as your major point production?
There is no reason that when Reed comes back that won't be Cousins to Reed.
Well, other than the fact he can't stay on the field longer than about a quarter, yea.
And the fact that cousins probably has better chemistry with Paul after practicing on the 2nd team with him for a large chick of time.

There is no reason that when Reed comes back that won't be Cousins to Reed.
Well, other than the fact he can't stay on the field longer than about a quarter, yea.
And the fact that cousins probably has better chemistry with Paul after practicing on the 2nd team with him for a large chick of time.
Chemistry to Paul won't matter unless they are both on the field.

Serious question...is Niles Paul better/more reliable than Reed?

Paul certainly has had a nice 2-game stretch to start this season.

A couple of weeks ago when Reed got hurt, again, I was watching the local Skins show (I live in VA) and Gruden came out and said that Reed is not someone who he can feature at the TE position because he can't stay healthy enough to practice or count on to execute the plan. They obviously spent a lot of time this summer implementing an offense that featured the TE. Gruden did not say that Niles Paul is that guy however, but the gameplan last week sure looks like they are going to feature the position one way or the other and the guy who can practice and apply it to the game will be of value. I don't really think that Paul can hold off a healthy Reed but Reed will always be one hit to the head away from being put on the shelf which makes me think that Paul is really the smart buy here. When Reed does return, that is the time to buy Niles Paul at a discount and wait a couple of weeks because history has shown that Reed will not last long.

really? i didnt watch this particular game very closely but every time i turned it on paul was getting wide open and making catches and running well after the catch. he has 12 catches on 15 targets so he really cant have too many drops. every stat site i found listed him with only 1 drop. ya, his fumble was bad tho. but still, hes shown a lot of ability and made some big plays.

A couple of weeks ago when Reed got hurt, again, I was watching the local Skins show (I live in VA) and Gruden came out and said that Reed is not someone who he can feature at the TE position because he can't stay healthy enough to practice or count on to execute the plan. They obviously spent a lot of time this summer implementing an offense that featured the TE. Gruden did not say that Niles Paul is that guy however, but the gameplan last week sure looks like they are going to feature the position one way or the other and the guy who can practice and apply it to the game will be of value. I don't really think that Paul can hold off a healthy Reed but Reed will always be one hit to the head away from being put on the shelf which makes me think that Paul is really the smart buy here. When Reed does return, that is the time to buy Niles Paul at a discount and wait a couple of weeks because history has shown that Reed will not last long.
oh come on. Gruden didnt say that

Less often injured, but hands like boards. If he could stop the drops, he'd have some nice potential.
just loaded up game rewind and watched all of his targets. hes been targeted 15 times officially and has 12 catches. he had a horrid drop about 20 yards downfield with no defenders near him where he proly coulda turned up field and scored a td. very bad. the other 2 targets he had no chance at. one was a hail mary at the end of the half. the other cousins was under pressure and threw it into the ground. not sure why those were even listed as targets for him.

in the houston game he made a fantastic sideline catch on a 3rd and 8. he tracked back to the ball and dragged his feet while falling out of bounds.

Stay away....obviously, Paul is beginning to solidify himself as a reliable option. Do you think the Redskins coaches care about the fantasy point production of each guy? They want to win. I am pretty sure you will start to see 2 te sets and/or a timeshare once Reed is back, thus killing both of their values.

Less often injured, but hands like boards. If he could stop the drops, he'd have some nice potential.
just loaded up game rewind and watched all of his targets. hes been targeted 15 times officially and has 12 catches. he had a horrid drop about 20 yards downfield with no defenders near him where he proly coulda turned up field and scored a td. very bad. the other 2 targets he had no chance at. one was a hail mary at the end of the half. the other cousins was under pressure and threw it into the ground. not sure why those were even listed as targets for him.

in the houston game he made a fantastic sideline catch on a 3rd and 8. he tracked back to the ball and dragged his feet while falling out of bounds.
I'm talking career, not thus season. He's had a penchant for dropping the ball... a lot. Maybe he fixed it this season. But there's a reason he hasn't been on the field much in his career.

oh come on. Gruden didnt say that
Sorry to say, but yes he did. I'm an owner of Reed in 3 dynasty leagues and that was the last thing I wanted to hear, but the writing is on the wall. Reed can't stay healthy long enough to really use him the way Gruden wants to. Best case, he is a situational threat but I highly doubt the offense goes through him the way the coaches planned during the offseason.

Great post, but this caught my eye:

the gameplan last week sure looks like they are going to feature the position one way or the other and the guy who can practice and apply it to the game will be of value
I don't really think that Paul can hold off a healthy Reed...
That was my impression after Game 1, Reed went out and the offense just kept chugging through Niles. Niles was a talent at Nebraska (there's a thread on him from back in the day) and I think he has the goods. Obviously Redskins fans see the drops and the miscues and I agree that's important. When Reed is actually able to practice, next week I guess (hope), he will be back in the lineup. To me the move for Reed owners was after week 1 pick up and hold both Niles and Reed, but very few can afford to carry 2 TEs like some kind of handcuff RB situation. I still think it's a good way to go though if you can manage it, the WAS TE position will produce all year. Reed of course has had two games in two years where he almost zeroed his owners after early injuries, extremely frustrating considering the high FF potential. Owners who pegged the WAS situation for high TE production were right though.

Users who are viewing this thread