What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games (3 Viewers)

The biggest danger with Randle right now, IMO, is how useless McFadden is proving to be.

The last thing Randle (or any Randle owner) wants is to see McFadden cut loose. That would leave them short, and almost guarantee a cheap veteran signing. And the vets that are out there lurking are all better season-long prospects than Randle, IMO.

I hope DMC heals up ok and makes the 53, but I've got concerns at this point. :oldunsure:

The biggest danger with Randle right now, IMO, is how useless McFadden is proving to be.

The last thing Randle (or any Randle owner) wants is to see McFadden cut loose. That would leave them short, and almost guarantee a cheap veteran signing. And the vets that are out there lurking are all better season-long prospects than Randle, IMO.

I hope DMC heals up ok and makes the 53, but I've got concerns at this point. :oldunsure:
The only way DMC isn't on the team is if he gets severely hurt. Everything I've read and heard from the locals think he's better but it's Randles job to lose.

The only way DMC isn't on the team is if he gets severely hurt. Everything I've read and heard from the locals think he's better but it's Randles job to lose.
As in DMC is better than Randle???

My in-laws live in Dallas and say local media has been increasingly talking Randle up as we go through the offseason. There has been lots of talk that he is faster and more elusive than Murray. Of course that alone does not mean he is better than, or even as good as, Murray, who I believe is generally underrated. And Randle is unproven as a lead or complete back.

But to suggest that DMC, with 3 straight years of 3.4 ypc or under and a long history of lower leg and hamstring problems, is a better option than Randle..... I can't believe that anyone with a respected opinion is really suggesting that at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

My in-laws live in Dallas and say local media has been increasingly talking Randle up as we go through the offseason. There has been lots of talk that he is faster and more elusive than Murray. Of course that alone does not mean he is better than, or even as good as, Murray, who I believe is generally underrated. And Randle is unproven as a lead or complete back.

But to suggest that DMC, with 3 straight years of 3.4 ypc or under and a long history of lower leg and hamstring problems, is a better option than Randle..... I can't believe that anyone with a respected opinion is really suggesting that at this point.
Their oddly still seems to be a stigma in mainstream media like ESPN and such that McFadden is some uber awesome back that just can't stay healthy, and that health is his only concern. It bewilders me how they can just ignore his three straight years of terrible performance on the same team in which some other pretty mediocre backs have looked decent.

Their oddly still seems to be a stigma in mainstream media like ESPN and such that McFadden is some uber awesome back that just can't stay healthy, and that health is his only concern. It bewilders me how they can just ignore his three straight years of terrible performance on the same team in which some other pretty mediocre backs have looked decent.
Jerry figured those 3 down years after 2 years above 5YPC would be fixed by his world class offensive line. :whistle:

Jerry doesn't figure anything anymore. How many years are we going to do this?

The boys have drafted 1 player from Arkansas since Jeruh bought the team.

There has NEVER been a Jerry/Arkansas connection.

The only thing Jerry is in charge of is getting hookers and blow for his guests.

Stephen Jones is and has been in charge for several years now.

How has Randle looked overall (before the oblique)? Is he the guy to own in Dallas? Any grumblings, inside info? thx
Randle is definitely the guy to own in Dallas if he is healthy. Dunbar is more of a change of pace and DMC is there to get a few carries and pass block. I could see the Cowboys signing another RB though if none of these guys stay healthy, which will possibly dilute their value even further.

Will be a bust at that ADP.

He is not that good folks. He really is so ordinary. Dallas will lean on multiple backs when it is all said and done.

I think his high side is 1100 yards and 4-5 TD's. At 3.07 I am looking for far bigger upside and points.

He is not that good folks. He really is so ordinary. Dallas will lean on multiple backs when it is all said and done.

I think his high side is 1100 yards and 4-5 TD's. At 3.07 I am looking for far bigger upside and points.
I agree that 3.07 is too high. Where is he that high?

I see him at 4.08 in MFL drafts after aug 15th. But then Latavius Murray is 48 and I like him better.

Just wanted to save this for the end of the year.

I dunno man. He's clearly the lead RB on a high powered offense with what most consider the best line in the NFL. He's pretty fast, has good wiggle. My only concern is hes never shouldered a heavy load in the NFL. If he can stay healthy, I think his floor is higher than your numbers.

I love Randle, but (as we knew it would), I hate his rising ADP. As a guy that got burned by Montee Ball last year, I am not super excited about spending a top 36 pick on a situation and not a player.

Just wanted to save this for the end of the year.
Please do.

Let's talk in December.

I dunno man. He's clearly the lead RB on a high powered offense with what most consider the best line in the NFL. He's pretty fast, has good wiggle. My only concern is hes never shouldered a heavy load in the NFL. If he can stay healthy, I think his floor is higher than your numbers.
From the limted time I watched him play I saw absolutely nothing special about him. If he is indeed highly productive then this will go down as one of the very best OL ever.

Murray to me is a far more skilled and talented runner than Randle.

Just my observations. If I am wrong....then I am wrong. I just don't think he will be nearly as good as many here think. When you put too much stock into situation vs talent......expectations can be too high. You still need talent to succeed and I don't see front line talent in Randle. His ADP in round 3 is far too high IMO. Way too much talent around him in that area of the draft to pass on for him.

Just my .02 cents.

Round 5, 6 or higher.....sure no question worth a shot at hitting a potential HR if he indeed explodes.

But round 4 or sooner is too rich for my blood.

From the limted time I watched him play I saw absolutely nothing special about him. If he is indeed highly productive then this will go down as one of the very best OL ever.

Just my observations. If I am wrong....then I am wrong. I just don't think he will be nearly as good as many here think. When you put too much stock into situation vs talent......expectations can be too high. You still need talent to succeed and I don't see front line talent in Randle. His ADP in round 3 is far too high IMO. Way too much talent around him in that area of the draft to pass on for him.

Just my .02 cents.

Round 5, 6 or higher.....sure no question worth a shot at hitting a potential HR if he indeed explodes.

Round 5 or 6 would be insanely high for a guy you believed had a ceiling of 1100/4.

Just my .02 cents.

Round 5 or 6 would be insanely high for a guy you believed had a ceiling of 1100/4.
I am not touching him.

But those who are high on him....that is where I would "risk" the pick.

Forget me and Randle.....on my DND list.

Im not going to list all my keeper options for this year as I will save that for the AC, but Randle is one of them. Thoughts on who would be the best keeper between:

Randle as a 14th rounder

Latavius Murray as a 14th rounder

Blount as a 10th rounder

I think Randle has the most upside of this bunch, but I could also see him busting more than the other 2. I could also keep any of these guys for 2016 at a 2 round higher price, but I wouldnt be surprised if Dallas picks a RB high next year or a starter worthy FA (moreso than DMC), so his "longterm" value might be limited as well.

Im not going to list all my keeper options for this year as I will save that for the AC, but Randle is one of them. Thoughts on who would be the best keeper between:

Randle as a 14th rounder

Blount as a 10th rounder

I think Randle has the most upside of this bunch, but I could also see him busting more than the other 2. I could also keep any of these guys for 2016 at a 2 round higher price, but I wouldnt be surprised if Dallas picks a RB high next year or a starter worthy FA (moreso than DMC), so his "longterm" value might be limited as well.
I think Murray.

Randle as a 14th rounder

Blount as a 10th rounder

I think Murray.
Agreed. Pretty clear path for Latavius IMO (and more talent), Where Randle does have a couple of other guys who can easily carve into his playing time. Especially if he flops out of the gate.

Idk -- Murray is clearly the guy but has an injury history a mile long. Randle's stayed relatively healthy... just hasn't kept his nose clean off the field.

I completely understand the concerns about drafting situation over talent, and I too was burned by Ball last year in multiple leagues. That being said, I think Randle cost me $14 in my keeper auction ($200 budgets, 18-man rosters, 12-team league), which was tied with Jonathan Stewart for RB23 in terms of cost. Auctions are their own beast, obviously, and there's other factors at play like when a player is nominated and remaining auction budgets and so forth... but still.

For RB23, with as little competition as is currently there and as MUCH talent as that OL has, I'll buy all day.

ETA - in dynasty the cost was a roster spot for me and a lot of the guys reading this thread. Added him last year knowing there was a chance Murray would leave in FA. You throw a dart... Dallas didn't get a RB in the draft or FA (McFadden, but come on). Thus, for most of us, anything from Randle is pure profit.

One thing is for certain, the Cowboys have the best run blocking line and I don't think it's very close. Demarco was running through Emmit Smith type holes last year.

If Randle stays healthy he's going to put up some big boy numbers.

Well worth the risk in shallow leagues where you can draft depth.

In deeper leagues I may have a bit more pause since he's relatively unproven.

Randle as a 14th rounder

Blount as a 10th rounder

I have pretty much the same decision but sub Hyde for Blount. I'm going Randle just because of location. RBs on good teams tend to do better than those on teams projected to win less games.

Just my .02 cents.

Nice out there. Randle is just an ordinary back but if he puts up great numbers he's still just an ordinary back with a great offensive line. You can't lose with analysis like that.

Just my .02 cents.

Nice out there. Randle is just an ordinary back but if he puts up great numbers he's still just an ordinary back with a great offensive line. You can't lose with analysis like that.
Being sarcastic with that statement. I don't expect him to do much.

Nice out? I said...if I am wrong I am wrong.

Read the entire post.

Everything turns into a **** ing pissing match here.....damn this place used to be fun......WTF happened to this forum???

Jason Garret was on NFLR, and implied heavily that this will be a rotation. Not feeling it.

-jb- said:
Jason Garret was on NFLR, and implied heavily that this will be a rotation. Not feeling it.
Rotation of Randle and Dunbar?

I might be outhinking things, but Im not worried much with DMC in Dallas taking carries from Randle.

-jb- said:
Rotation of Randle and Dunbar?

I might be outhinking things, but Im not worried much with DMC in Dallas taking carries from Randle.
I don't remember the exact phrasing, but yes. It was along the lines of them being excited about what they have with randle and Dunbar (one phrase), and also Darren (another phrase). McFadden was the afterthought.

McFadden Taking First Team Reps

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000512394/article/darren-mcfadden-taking-firstteam-reps-for-cowboys

Fresh off the training-camp PUP list, Darren McFadden is taking advantage of Joseph Randle's absence due to an oblique strain.

McFadden dominated one-on-one pass drills on Monday, leading Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to dust off his hyperbole generator.

"McFadden hit that thing for the first time up in there and showed some real stuff, and he sure showed some real burst in a couple of drills where they weren't just full tackling," Jones raved Tuesday morning. "Boy, if we can keep him out there, he'll tear their you know what up."

Jones habitually peppers his McFadden praise with a caveat about injuries.

Back in March, Jones opined that McFadden still has the skills that got him drafted No. 4 overall in 2008. Two months later, Jones noted that McFadden was in the "best shape of his career," leading the Cowboys to believe they "might really have something here."

It's telling that Jones waited for McFadden to return to full health rather than signing a veteran alternative such as Chris Johnson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas or Ray Rice.

McFadden handled first-team reps in Tuesday's practice, reportedly showing impressive burst while adding a pair of touchdowns.

Cowboys coaches have emphasized all offseason that DeMarco Murray's production will be replaced by a committee attack featuring McFadden, Randle and third-down back Lance Dunbar.

In other words, don't reach for an unproven Randle in the third or fourth round of your fantasy drafts.

He's never done anything of note except some garbage time TD's. He is a total unknown and rates as probably a "good" backup level NFL talent. Like Todem says, he is too risky at his ADP.

Do we know how serious his oblique strain is? Will he be sitting the next pre-season game as well? As a Randle owner my main concern is whether or not his body can hold up during the year. At his current ADP, I wouldn't touch him in a redraft, but I had him stashed for cheap in a dynasty league, and will ride the train as long as I can. He certainly isn't an elite talent, but I saw enough burst and vision from his limited work last year to believe he can be pretty darn good in this offense.

As for DMac, part of me hopes he can stay healthy the next month, leading Jerry and company to put false hope in that continuing. This would also mean that maybe a veteran RB or two that get cut in the coming weeksget signed elsewhere (or because of an injury).

McFadden Taking First Team Reps

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000512394/article/darren-mcfadden-taking-firstteam-reps-for-cowboys

Fresh off the training-camp PUP list, Darren McFadden is taking advantage of Joseph Randle's absence due to an oblique strain.

McFadden dominated one-on-one pass drills on Monday, leading Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to dust off his hyperbole generator.

"McFadden hit that thing for the first time up in there and showed some real stuff, and he sure showed some real burst in a couple of drills where they weren't just full tackling," Jones raved Tuesday morning. "Boy, if we can keep him out there, he'll tear their you know what up."

Jones habitually peppers his McFadden praise with a caveat about injuries.

Back in March, Jones opined that McFadden still has the skills that got him drafted No. 4 overall in 2008. Two months later, Jones noted that McFadden was in the "best shape of his career," leading the Cowboys to believe they "might really have something here."

It's telling that Jones waited for McFadden to return to full health rather than signing a veteran alternative such as Chris Johnson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas or Ray Rice.

McFadden handled first-team reps in Tuesday's practice, reportedly showing impressive burst while adding a pair of touchdowns.

Cowboys coaches have emphasized all offseason that DeMarco Murray's production will be replaced by a committee attack featuring McFadden, Randle and third-down back Lance Dunbar.

In other words, don't reach for an unproven Randle in the third or fourth round of your fantasy drafts.
David Helman ‏@HelmanDC 13h13 hours ago Oxnard, CA

Fight on the far field. The Rams' first team defense left the drill to join in. McFadden ran for a 4th and G TD against one defender.

He's never done anything of note except some garbage time TD's. He is a total unknown and rates as probably a "good" backup level NFL talent. Like Todem says, he is too risky at his ADP.
Unless Dallas brings in another vet, Randle's gonna be the guy. Dallas seems to think Randle can be the guy. I understand not liking him at his ADP, but FF is a futures game. I don't think its a stretch to say Randle could be solid RB1 this season. Its not like he'll be facing stacked boxes, or running behind a crap O line. Romo's coming off his best season yet. Does anyone think DMC will stay healthy?

Unless Dallas brings in another vet, Randle's gonna be the guy. Dallas seems to think Randle can be the guy. I understand not liking him at his ADP, but FF is a futures game. I don't think its a stretch to say Randle could be solid RB1 this season. Its not like he'll be facing stacked boxes, or running behind a crap O line. Romo's coming off his best season yet. Does anyone think DMC will stay healthy?
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram continues to refer to the Cowboys' backfield as a "running back by committee."
Beat writer Charean Williams indicates the Cowboys have resisted making meaningful running back additions because they want to give the Joseph Randle-Darren McFadden-Lance Dunbar triumvirate every opportunity to succeed. Team observers have projected Randle to handle 15 touches per game, McFadden to handle ten touches per game, and Dunbar to see 5-8 per game.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram continues to refer to the Cowboys' backfield as a "running back by committee."
Beat writer Charean Williams indicates the Cowboys have resisted making meaningful running back additions because they want to give the Joseph Randle-Darren McFadden-Lance Dunbar triumvirate every opportunity to succeed. Team observers have projected Randle to handle 15 touches per game, McFadden to handle ten touches per game, and Dunbar to see 5-8 per game.
Pretty much what I figured. RBBC.

They don't have "that guy" like Demarco was last season.

If any of them emerges....my money would be on McFadden. Solely based on pure talent. But he is a china doll. However he is so much more talented than the other two and he has never had this type of talent around him.

He is the guy I would risk a draft pick on......not Randle. And his ADP is far more attractive and comes with far less risk.

When Randle's ADP was around round 5, he was a solid pick. But in the 3rd, I'm not so sure. Yes, he has RB1 potential, but his floor is lower than most in the 3rd round.

ya, I had him in my sights as a target but the fact he hasn't been on the field, there's more "committee" chatter and his rising draft position has caused me to pump the brakes on him. He's not off my board but there's a good chance that he'll be on someone else's team as they'll likely grab him before I feel comfortable doing so.

I'm out unless he falls to round 5. Slightly higher chance of that in my league since there is only a core of 4-5 true FF geeks out of 12.

I prolly Won't grab him in redraft for that reason . Someone will take him too soon.

I'm not really buying the rbbc talk though. If randle is a ho hum talent what is DMC at this stage in his career? Look at his stats vs. other Oak rb's the last couple years. There's a reason Latavius is the guy in Oakland and DMC got signed for peanuts in Dallas.

Like I said, I'm sure randle will go off the board before I'm comfy takin him.....but he's young. He's got low milage. He's got enough talent to put up solid numbers this season in Dallas. RB's come and go faster than ever. They are used up and tossed aside. I think Dallas will try to use up Randle and toss him aside if/when he wants to get paid

I prolly Won't grab him in redraft for that reason . Someone will take him too soon.

I'm not really buying the rbbc talk though. If randle is a ho hum talent what is DMC at this stage in his career? Look at his stats vs. other Oak rb's the last couple years. There's a reason Latavius is the guy in Oakland and DMC got signed for peanuts in Dallas.

Like I said, I'm sure randle will go off the board before I'm comfy takin him.....but he's young. He's got low milage. He's got enough talent to put up solid numbers this season in Dallas. RB's come and go faster than ever. They are used up and tossed aside. I think Dallas will try to use up Randle and toss him aside if/when he wants to get paid
I don't disagree but careers can often have several very different lives....guys are great, they suck and again can turn great again. There are so many factors and I've never been a DMC supporter but I'm not going to disregard him until the Cowboys do. He's on the roster, he's getting the 1st team carries and Randle has proven absolutely zero in his career to date. Gun to my head I say that Randle will get the lionshare but I would've put that same money on Zac Stacy / Monte Ball last year and many others in every year.

One thing I've learned over the years is that things change quick and you have to keep your ears and eyes open to the changing landscape.

Agreed. I don't consider Randle a supreme talent but it's a foregone conclusion that whatever Dallas back gets the most carries, he will be a top 15 fantasy RB. You just have to figure out which one it is. My thinking is that I'll play the odds on this one. The odds are that Randle will own this job either by beating out the competition or via a McFadden injury. I'm not too concerned with RBBC to the extent that it will kill the starter's value.

O trust me, I want DMC to rip #### up! I've got him in dynasty.....but my head tells me he's a very long shot to do much of anything FF wise. Hes a decent receiver and pass protector, and if he's not dinged up he can take it to the house. I'll keep him stashed and see what happens...who knows, maybe I'll get a good trade offer for him if he looks good in preseason

Users who are viewing this thread