What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games (1 Viewer)

Aside from the fact that DMC is Mr. Glass, one of the other things that always bugged me about him was his lack of vision. He isn't very patient and just seems to hit the hole and pray. The difference between DAL and OAK's OLs is staggering though and as long as they continue to create gaping holes I think he'll have a lot of room to flash his speed. Honestly, I wouldn't be super surprised if he carved out a legit role this season.

Aside from the fact that DMC is Mr. Glass, one of the other things that always bugged me about him was his lack of vision. He isn't very patient and just seems to hit the hole and pray. The difference between DAL and OAK's OLs is staggering though and as long as they continue to create gaping holes I think he'll have a lot of room to flash his speed. Honestly, I wouldn't be super surprised if he carved out a legit role this season.
That's my fear as well. When you don't need to shed tacklers in the backfield but instead can get up speed and run 3 yards before being touched its a HUGE difference. Given time and space DMC could bust some runs and make things interesting.

That's the thing, DMC doesn't have great vision. He takes the handoff and RUNS! A lot of the time into the back of his O-linemen. In watching Demarco last season the things that stood out to me were his ability to find a small crease and explode through it. And he finished runs. He doesn't have break away speed, but hes a tough inside runner. It seemed like the defenses knew he was getting the ball a lot of the time, prolly cuz he got it so much. Its not like there were huge, gaping holes for him to run through every time he got the ball. DMC will not thrive in this scenario. I'd like to see da Boys use trickery, screens, maybe line him up in the slot.....move him around.

Joseph Randle (oblique) returned to Cowboys practice Friday.

He took first-team reps. Randle's oblique has become a recurring concern, but isn't a significant injury. Randle remains Dallas' best option at lead back, but he's expected to lose touches to Darren McFadden and Lance Dunbar.

Interested to hear people's take on the situation after tonight's game.

DMC looked completely horrible. He lacked any element of speed in hitting the hole, he dropped on first contact, and he had no elusiveness in admittedly limited work. Randle looked a lot better running but it was after many of the defensive first teamers were out, and his pass blocking was completely atrocious. This backfield continues to appear clear as mud.

Hopefully next week someone will start to stand out, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

I think it's pretty reckless for Dallas to go into the season with this RB stable. Maybe they know something I don't and they'll do great with these backs, but it seems to me that they're really needy in this position. DMC is what he is. I didn't like Randle much out of Oklahoma State and he was only a 5th round pick, so on the surface it looks risky to me for Dallas to roll with him as their main guy. There are plenty of teams in the league with backups whom I rate higher than Randle or McFadden (i.e. Philly, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Cleveland, Seattle, St. Louis). Trades are not common in the NFL, but you have to wonder...

I think it's pretty reckless for Dallas to go into the season with this RB stable. Maybe they know something I don't and they'll do great with these backs, but it seems to me that they're really needy in this position. DMC is what he is. I didn't like Randle much out of Oklahoma State and he was only a 5th round pick, so on the surface it looks risky to me for Dallas to roll with him as their main guy. There are plenty of teams in the league with backups whom I rate higher than Randle or McFadden (i.e. Philly, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Cleveland, Seattle, St. Louis). Trades are not common in the NFL, but you have to wonder...
San Diego, Cleveland, St Louis, and maybe even Seattle's backups are all also mostly a bunch of mid/late round picks, most of which looked less impressive than Randle last year. I'm not sure why they would be any better.

I'm pretty happy with this preseason...Randle is going to go at a discount at this point. Much better than him having a great preseason and an expensive price tag.

San Diego, Cleveland, St Louis, and maybe even Seattle's backups are all also mostly a bunch of mid/late round picks, most of which looked less impressive than Randle last year. I'm not sure why they would be any better.
I'd take Oliver, West, Mason, and Michael ahead of Randle. Just personal preference based on what I've seen from them.

West and Oliver probably aren't starter caliber talents, but they could be serviceable.

I haven't watched Randle much since college and maybe I'm underestimating him, but my recollection is that he's an average backup at best in the NFL based on talent alone. Granted, he had a great YPC last season, but he only had one game with 10+ carries. Pretty much an unknown quantity. I guess Dallas must have some faith in him. Either that or they expected something from McFadden. It seems really risky to me though.

Was able to snag Randle in the 5th in my draft yesterday. Still unsure of him, but he seemed like good value in the late 5th.

Pots said:
Randle looked fantastic and with his ADP dropping, he's becoming a guy I'm targeting in all drafts.
Were we watching the same game?
What didn't you like??
The fact that McFadden got outplayed.
Lol exactly!!
7-30 isn't fantastic. When he finally got the ball, I am assuming he was going against the 2nd stringers. I'm interested in him as I think his ADP could settle to a point where he is a good value, especially since I think McFadden is just bad at this point. That said, I think next week is a much bigger week since he could get some more real reps and you can actually see what you are getting.

I'm in all PPR, so the other thing I am watching is how involved Dunbar will be. He get a couple looks before Randle was even in the game (I know could have been the plan), so again next week will be something to watch.

I'd take Oliver, West, Mason, and Michael ahead of Randle. Just personal preference based on what I've seen from them.

West and Oliver probably aren't starter caliber talents, but they could be serviceable.

I haven't watched Randle much since college and maybe I'm underestimating him, but my recollection is that he's an average backup at best in the NFL based on talent alone. Granted, he had a great YPC last season, but he only had one game with 10+ carries. Pretty much an unknown quantity. I guess Dallas must have some faith in him. Either that or they expected something from McFadden. It seems really risky to me though.
Well sure, any 5th round pick that you haven't seen since their college days is going to be remembered as average backup quality, hence their status as a 5th round pick. Randle did look quite good last year, albeit in a small sample size (not like that's unique to him amongst the other guys we're talking about here), and contrary to the common narrative did a lot of his damage in the 1st half of football games. He wasn't only running against tired defenses in the 4th quarter.

West and Oliver looked like average backups themselves in college as well, and I'm not sure what it was about their 3.6 and 3.9 ypc last year that impressed so much. Oliver in particular had one good game out of the gate and was pretty miserable after that.

People still have this love affair with Tre Mason that I don't get. His inability to perform with any kind of consistency (under 4ypc in 7 of his 9 starts) is a death knell for RBs in the NFL. The only RBs to be held under 4ypc that often in their starts were Mason, Giovanni Bernard, and Bobby Rainey. All three fantasy darlings (Rainey to a lessor extent, but he had his fans when given a chance to start) that lost their starting job in short order. The coaches have spoken, if you can't run the ball with consistency you end up on the bench, regardless of how excited fantasy prognosticators are about your youth and compiled stats.

Michael has been more impressive but on an even smaller sample size than Randle, and of course has the injury and off the field history that would leave things just as"reckless" if he were the guy they were relying on.

Lots of personal preference probably involved here on both sides for sure, but either way I don't see how any of those guys being there instead of Randle makes this situation any more stable. In place of McFadden? Maybe now we're talking.

There's no question that Randle outperformed DMC based on last night's performance, but that is setting a very low bar. DMC absolutely got owned by the 49ers first teamers. No wiggle, no lateral movement, no ability to even optimize what he was given...while he was in for 6 plays.

Randle undoubtedly looked better running, but this was against 1.5 and 2nd teamers. He ran hard, he got what he was given and sometime a little more, and he should get credit for doing all this a bit dinged. However, this offense begins and ends with the assured health of Tony Romo. Without him, the season is over as evidenced by the play of Weeden and others. Randle looked very bad in passing protection last night, and that is going to be a crucial aspect of the starting RBs job. As a Cowboys homer, he has never impressed me from a pass pro stance, and so that may keep him off the field.

As bad as DMC's rushing ability is, word is he is decent at protecting the QB (must admit I haven't watched a lot of Raiders games over recent years). It would be naïve to think this won't play into coaches decisions about who ends up on the field for the most snaps come Sundays this fall.

Heard that the team wasn't even committed (was hoping not to) play Randle.

They wanted him dressed, to go through warm ups and in on sideline discussions.

Then McFadden took the field and his inability changed all that.

The team then decided to use Randle for the betterment of the entire offensive process and lack of options.

Expect the 'Boys to look amongst the waiver wire in the coming week for Randles long term back-up.

Pots said:
Randle looked fantastic and with his ADP dropping, he's becoming a guy I'm targeting in all drafts.
Were we watching the same game?
I thought he made some good plays on a mostly stagnant offense, easily better than DMC or Dunbar
Everyone knows McFadden's injury history, but I wanted to see how he ran behind a legit oline. Here are the runs against SF

1st series

1st and 10...off right guard/tackle and looks like a small hole but gets drilled by Bowman as he shred his blocker impressively.

2nd and 9...off right tackle and bowman again blows up the play

End of series and Romo's night

2nd series

1st and 10...pass to McFadden on a flare and immediately tackled.

2nd and 7...run to the left and lunges for 4. Looks like he may have missed a lane, but hard to tell from camera angle.

dropped pass on 3rd down by TE and end of night for McFadden.

Summary...Bowman is a badass. To small of sample size to judge running ability, but he started and Cowboys ran some plays designed to get him some action.

Heard that the team wasn't even committed (was hoping not to) play Randle.

The team then decided to use Randle for the betterment of the entire offensive process and lack of options.

Expect the 'Boys to look amongst the waiver wire in the coming week for Randles long term back-up.
Heard while on the DFW lightrail?

Heard that the team wasn't even committed (was hoping not) to play Randle.

No, was talking to my partner (Raider fan) who is a bigrig driver in the north of Houston area. He listens to sports talk all day long.

No, was talking to my partner (Raider fan) who is a bigrig driver in the north of Houston area. He listens to sports talk all day long.
lol...ok

Besides the Cowboy coach...

He also said (wrong thread) that a Texans coach mentioned that Houston is trying not to use Hopkins in the preseason.

He will be option 1 and option 2 when the real season starts. So dont be scared if he doesnt get any/many passes preseason week 3 either.

Last edited by a moderator:

He also said (wrong thread) that a Texans coach mentioned that Houston is trying not to use Hopkins in the preseason.

He will be option 1 and option 2 when the real season starts. So dont be scared if he doesnt get any/many passes preseason week 3 either.
that makes zero sense, but i'm more worried about the QB than the actual WR.

zero sense:

That they wouldnt have him up to speed?

Or that they treated him like they do JJ?
You have a QB situation where they need to establish some timing. Not utilizing him forces you to do that in non game situations (practice) or regular season. It's asking for a slow start.

zero sense:

That they wouldnt have him up to speed?

Or that they treated him like they do JJ?
You have a QB situation where they need to establish some timing. Not utilizing him forces you to do that in non game situations (practice) or regular season. It's asking for a slow start.
Im guessing its the risk they are willing to take to establish other options and keep him healthy. The phrase used for Hopkins in camp was "destroying people".

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious if anyone has sold Randle? Speaking more to dynasty obviously -- I doubt anyone is looking to pay premium prices, but he is a 23-YO in a prime situation. I would think Dallas adds to the backfield either after early cuts or in the draft next year at least. Not sure I view Randle as a stud for the long run...

If you sold, what would you be targeting/how is he being valued by league mates?

i have Randle all over the place as a former Murray handcuff... and there is zero interest in trying to acquire him.

what I would sell for completely depends on my team's make up. Honestly, might be tough to get a future first for him. Better off pairing with another player and trying to upgrade at a spot.

ymmv

Randle owners: We're screwed.

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson reports the Cowboys believe Darren McFadden is the "best of the bunch" at running back.
Robinson reports the Cowboys are committed to a running back by committee, but he added Dallas would have likely ridden McFadden's hot hand on Saturday night had it been a regular season game. Owner Jerry Jones has talked up Joseph Randle all offseason, but it appears McFadden has a real chance to lead the team in touches if he can stay healthy. The uncertainty surrounding the situation makes Randle un-draftable in the fourth round.

According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, the Cowboys' plan to use an RBBC backfield is "not a bluff," and the rotation will be a "committee in the purest NFL form."
Per Robinson, "the Cowboys are adamant that their elite offensive line can be the glue that elevates a collection of parts into a greater whole." In other words, the Cowboys are banking on their O-Line and less on the talent of their backfield, which is questionable to be kind with Joe Randle, Darren McFadden, and Lance Dunbar vying for work. Had Saturday night's preseason game been a regular season one, Robinson believes the Cowboys "would have ridden McFadden's hot hand," despite Randle starting the game. Robinson guesses none of the Cowboys' backs will rush for more than 850 yards this season.

Users who are viewing this thread