What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games (2 Viewers)

Randle still ranked at RB16 on Draft Dominator? Am I missing something?
I think they mean what they say.
Randle is a middling back who has value simply because of McFadden's unerring tendency to get nicked and hobbled. While I think this is a pure RBBC out of the gate, Randle has value as a middling RB2 because it is only a matter of time before McFadden trips over a quark and a few electrons on the turf and tweaks his knee, leaving Randle as the sole 3 down back behind a pretty decent O-line and an offense that can keep Ds from stacking the box.

I keep hearing Randle as being described as a middling running back and a not so talented running back. Have any of you even seen most of his runs, Randle has quick feet and hits the hole fast and hard and is elusive in the open field. He had some very decisive runs during the third preseason game against 49ers running with the second string offense line albeit against the second string 49ers defense. He averaged over 6 yards per carry on over 50 carries last season. All the news coming out of Cowboys camp is that Randle will have first crack at winning the starting running back job. All the other news is just opinions and hearsay from reporters and writers trying to get clicks on their articles.

In my opinion Joseph Randall is the epitome of an extremely high upside RB2, which is exactly what you might need to win your league this year. If the Cowboys pick anyone up at that was cut from another team I guarantee you they are not going to win the starting job anytime soon.

Never really liked Randle much, I always had a feeling the hype was too much. Clearly they don't trust him to be a true lead back, and now they've picked up another talented athlete who theyll try and develop in Michael.

I drafted Randle as trade bait for an owner I know was high on him, but that guy came out of the draft with a pretty attrocious roster. I ended up offloading him to a different owner for Amari Cooper and I'm esctatic.

Never really liked Randle much, I always had a feeling the hype was too much. Clearly they don't trust him to be a true lead back, and now they've picked up another talented athlete who theyll try and develop in Michael.

I drafted Randle as trade bait for an owner I know was high on him, but that guy came out of the draft with a pretty attrocious roster. I ended up offloading him to a different owner for Amari Cooper and I'm esctatic.
I'm thinking of dealing now, felt great, now not.

For people saying Randle lacked in pass blocking, here's a vine on Michael:

https://vine.co/v/eDdTemHWY7I
That's the 2nd time I've seen that posted but a chip block on an already blocked player is hardly a great example of pass blocking.
I actually got that from this:

Michael’s poor pass blocking, general inconsistency and fumbles have limited his role in Seattle. But the Seahawks coaching staff did agree his pass protection was improving this preseason. On one play in particular, the third-year back injured linebacker Dee Ford (broken rib) during a block in the Hawks second preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs this year.
http://thelandryhat.com/2015/09/06/dallas-cowboys-trade-christine-michael/

Not that that means anything in and of itself but fyi.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
So how're we feelin' this afternoon?
Feeling great. I'll stand by my post. This is Randles job to lose IMO. Running behind that line with the shiftiness and burst he has will make him a high end RB2 with RB1 upside every week. The gmen in week 1 will really help......

Last edited by a moderator:
People who know football arent worried about this and knew it was a depth move long before Rotoworld spelled it out for them. The combination of not being able to appeal more than Old Man Jackson and a 7th round conditional price tag were clues. I give Reggie Wayne a greater chance of succeeding in New England. Yes, I know he's been cut.

I think the question on Michael, honestly, is can he learn the damn plays? Dumb as a post from every indication.

People who know football arent worried about this and knew it was a depth move long before Rotoworld spelled it out for them. The combination of not being able to appeal more than Old Man Jackson and a 7th round conditional price tag were clues. I give Reggie Wayne a greater chance of succeeding in New England. Yes, I know he's been cut.
quoted to posterity.

The shark move this year is gonna be stealing Randle from panicking owners.
Shark move is to sell him before his value is zero
People are acting like they just drafted Michael in the 1st round and he will be a sure RB1.

Maybe he will be but my point is that Randle's perceived value just too a big hit and you can probably get next to nothing for him now. The best move would be to see if Randle can put up big numbers week 1 against a week Giants run D (when Michael, a documented slow learner, will likely not be a factor with very limited time on the team) and look to trade him then.

The shark move this year is gonna be stealing Randle from panicking owners.
Shark move is to sell him before his value is zero
People are acting like they just drafted Michael in the 1st round and he will be a sure RB1.

Maybe he will be but my point is that Randle's perceived value just too a big hit and you can probably get next to nothing for him now. The best move would be to see if Randle can put up big numbers week 1 against a week Giants run D (when Michael, a documented slow learner, will likely not be a factor with very limited time on the team) and look to trade him then.
Great in theory, but requires Randle to put up numbers, which is sort of the issue if you don't believe in him. Besides, if he does well that first week, it'll be much harder INTERNALLY to get rid of him. His value is going down, but while people may buy in higher if he does well the first week, it's equally likely to convince oneself to keep him.I still stand by trading him now to aspiring sharks. He still has enough value to get a potentially great running back or wide receiver.

Two Michael threads are raging, while it's quiet in here. No sense of panic apparently. I do think Randle still gets the first crack and will have the starters job all to himself to open the season and then it's just a question if what he does with it. I reread Waldman's article the other day and on August 13th at least he seemed to believe Randle had the best upside of any 2nd or mid tier RB. That was before McFadden's 3rd PS game performance and before the Michael acquisition. He really has to come out the gate strong on SNF and he has to not struggle during the season. Waldman's also predicated his piece on Randle getting 17-20 carries per game, and right now that's looking like 10-15.

Marcus Mosher ‏@Marcus_Mosher 1h1 hour ago

As expected, Stephen Jones said it's a long-shot for Christine Michael to be active for Sunday's game.
Mark Lane ‏@therealmarklane 1h1 hour ago

On The Fan, Stephen Jones says denies that there's anything wrong with Joseph Randle, stating that he's ready to go for Sunday night.
Marcus Mosher ‏@Marcus_Mosher 3h3 hours ago

Jason Garrett talking about a possible punishment for Joseph Randle. Hm. Maybe another reason Michael was brought in?

I don't think anyone has a realistic expectation that Michael will see much, if any, game time this week. Personally I wouldn't expect much until after their bye week.

Two Michael threads are raging, while it's quiet in here. No sense of panic apparently. I do think Randle still gets the first crack and will have the starters job all to himself to open the season and then it's just a question if what he does with it. I reread Waldman's article the other day and on August 13th at least he seemed to believe Randle had the best upside of any 2nd or mid tier RB. That was before McFadden's 3rd PS game performance and before the Michael acquisition. He really has to come out the gate strong on SNF and he has to not struggle during the season. Waldman's also predicated his piece on Randle getting 17-20 carries per game, and right now that's looking like 10-15.
I don't see a need for panic at this point. How often do we see a player acquired/picked up right before the season starts and take someone's starting job? I'm sure it has happened, but there are hundreds of examples more when it doesn't work out the way people hope. Dallas didn't see a need to draft a RB or replace Murray in a trade until now. I see it as more insurance than anything.

Randle averaged 6.7 yards/carry last year (on 51 carries). Not a ton of carries, but not completely insignificant either. He's a talented player...I'm not sure why everyone is claiming he's trash and C Michael will be handed the job. A few weeks into the season people will be dropping Michael for the next flavor of the week WW pickup.

Randle averaged 6.7 yards/carry last year (on 51 carries). Not a ton of carries, but not completely insignificant either. He's a talented player...I'm not sure why everyone is claiming he's trash and C Michael will be handed the job. A few weeks into the season people will be dropping Michael for the next flavor of the week WW pickup.
Randle had: 3, 2, 4, 2, 5, 2, 3, 1, 7, 2, 1, 2, 13 & 4 carries in games last year. In the 13 carry game he averaged 2.85 YPC and it was against Indy and Dallas blew them out 42-7 so I guess you could argue that Dallas pulled their starters (along the line too) and Indy was expecting the run to kill the clock. But that still represents 25% of his carries from last season and he didn't do much with them.

He also averaged 3.5 on his 13 preseason carries this year.

Either way it is really difficult that Randle has ever had the opportunity to log enough carries in a single NFL game or season to truly get a gauge on what he is capable of. He could be the 6.7 YPC guy, highly doubtful if only because no one is that guy, or he could be the 2.85 YPC guy, also doubtful but when all is said and done I think he will be closer to the 2.85 YPC guy than the 6.7 YPC guy.

I don't see a need for panic at this point. How often do we see a player acquired/picked up right before the season starts and take someone's starting job? I'm sure it has happened, but there are hundreds of examples more when it doesn't work out the way people hope. Dallas didn't see a need to draft a RB or replace Murray in a trade until now. I see it as more insurance than anything.Randle averaged 6.7 yards/carry last year (on 51 carries). Not a ton of carries, but not completely insignificant either. He's a talented player...I'm not sure why everyone is claiming he's trash and C Michael will be handed the job. A few weeks into the season people will be dropping Michael for the next flavor of the week WW pickup.
You conveniently left out the fact that Randle averaged only 3.0 YPC in 2013, on more carries than he had last year. We haven't seen nearly enough out of Randle, and what we have seen is pretty inconsistent, to make any claims about his talent or lack thereof. Same with Michael. Randle likely has an edge early due to knowing the system, but after the first few weeks it's wide open. IMO the most likely scenario has a multiway RBBC -- a mess in FF terms. If I had to pick one guy to emerge, though, I'd likely go with Michael.

YPC is the most insignificant stat when referencing a backup or change of pace back. Opposing teams gameplan for starters and how they run. Randle is a completely different back than Murray was, and came into games after Murray had already done a lot of damage, or when the game was already out of hand. For what it's worth, Toby Gerhart averaged 7.9 ypc behind AP in 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
YPC is the most insignificant stat when referencing a backup or change of pace back. Opposing teams gameplan for starters and how they run. Randle is a completely different back than Murray was, and came into games after Murray had already done a lot of damage, or when the game was already out of hand. For what it's worth, Toby Gerhart averaged 7.9 ypc behind AP in 2013.
Agreed with the first point, to an extent, but the 2nd is just wrong in this case. Randle's YPC was significantly better in the 1st quarter and 3rd quarter (fresh out of halftime) than it was in the 4th. His YPC was better when playing from behind than from ahead. His YPC was equal the first half of the year and the 2nd half.

It wasn't just a fresh legs thing, because he was performing basically equally when the defense had fresh legs too, albeit on, again, a very small sample set.

I don't see a need for panic at this point. How often do we see a player acquired/picked up right before the season starts and take someone's starting job? I'm sure it has happened, but there are hundreds of examples more when it doesn't work out the way people hope. Dallas didn't see a need to draft a RB or replace Murray in a trade until now. I see it as more insurance than anything.Randle averaged 6.7 yards/carry last year (on 51 carries). Not a ton of carries, but not completely insignificant either. He's a talented player...I'm not sure why everyone is claiming he's trash and C Michael will be handed the job. A few weeks into the season people will be dropping Michael for the next flavor of the week WW pickup.
You conveniently left out the fact that Randle averaged only 3.0 YPC in 2013, on more carries than he had last year. We haven't seen nearly enough out of Randle, and what we have seen is pretty inconsistent, to make any claims about his talent or lack thereof. Same with Michael. Randle likely has an edge early due to knowing the system, but after the first few weeks it's wide open. IMO the most likely scenario has a multiway RBBC -- a mess in FF terms. If I had to pick one guy to emerge, though, I'd likely go with Michael.
What is more relavant, newer performance or older? I didn't get into his rookie year because last year is more relavant. Point is he's had some success, more so than Michael in both of their limited playing time. I just don't believe Michael will swoop in and take his job...it rarely ever works out that way.

I think the question on Michael, honestly, is can he learn the damn plays? Dumb as a post from every indication.
Yes that is the indication so far. But is he instinctive and can he fit into the Cowboys system better than he did at Seattle? That remains to be seen. I am not optimistic given how Seattle basically threw him away. But it's not a good sign for Randle owners either. It was already a RBBC before Michael and now it's potentially even more of a hot mess.

Agreed with the first point, to an extent, but the 2nd is just wrong in this case. Randle's YPC was significantly better in the 1st quarter and 3rd quarter (fresh out of halftime) than it was in the 4th. His YPC was better when playing from behind than from ahead. His YPC was equal the first half of the year and the 2nd half.

It wasn't just a fresh legs thing, because he was performing basically equally when the defense had fresh legs too, albeit on, again, a very small sample set.
Again Randle carried the ball 3, 2, 4, 2, 5, 2, 3, 1, 7, 2, 1, 2, 13 & 4. Are you really going to try and extrapolate 1st/2nd half data from that set?

What is more relavant, newer performance or older? I didn't get into his rookie year because last year is more relavant. Point is he's had some success, more so than Michael in both of their limited playing time. I just don't believe Michael will swoop in and take his job...it rarely ever works out that way.
Neither sample size (2013 / 2014) is big enough to really be relevant, and neither is Michael's body of work. It's a crapshoot. I agree Randle has an edge early on d/t familiarity with the playbook.

Again Randle carried the ball 3, 2, 4, 2, 5, 2, 3, 1, 7, 2, 1, 2, 13 & 4. Are you really going to try and extrapolate 1st/2nd half data from that set?
:shrug:

I think it's worth noting that his number of opportunities and performance was no better against tired defenses when someone is asserting that he only racked up what limited stats he had against tired defenses.

Most of us that own Randle got him for free or next to it. I still think he can lead this committee and average 15+ touches a week. People talk about McFadden's performance in the third preseason game, but he didn't see the field for the first four or five series... It was all Randle.

Bottom line -- it's on Randle's shoulders at this point. I believe he gets the first shot to establish himself. If he can play, all the Michael speculation may be moot. If he can't, well then we probably didn't want him starting for us anyway.

I believe the opportunity portion of the equation will be there on Sunday night.

Most of us that own Randle got him for free or next to it. I still think he can lead this committee and average 15+ touches a week. People talk about McFadden's performance in the third preseason game, but he didn't see the field for the first four or five series... It was all Randle.

Bottom line -- it's on Randle's shoulders at this point. I believe he gets the first shot to establish himself. If he can play, all the Michael speculation may be moot. If he can't, well then we probably didn't want him starting for us anyway.

I believe the opportunity portion of the equation will be there on Sunday night.
I would agree with all of that but there is a chance Michael could take it away from Randle. What's working in Randle's favor is that OL could help him look good. If things are working then Michael will have to look that much better to get more carries.

Users who are viewing this thread