What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Does Matt Barkley Fit In Philadelphia? (1 Viewer)

As an Eagles fan I am really excited to see what he can do. I wouldn't count out Foles in this mix but I think in three years it's very possible he could end up being one of the best draft picks the Eagles ever made.

Good article, though I think you discount Foles a bit.
A bit? I am in the camp that if they did not believe Foles was their guy they would have traded them. There was interest from other teams and the Eagles turned them away. I am a firm believer that Foles will be the starter at some point this year with Barkley being back up for some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=1em]This season, Barkley may not start for the Eagles as Michael Vick is expected to win the starting job over Nick Foles.[/SIZE]
I would say its about 70-30 in favor of Foles winning the job. Given the time of the Vick deal, it had to be done then since Kelly hadnt even had a chance to see the team yet. Also, given what we've heard and seen with the Barkley pick that Vick looks to be the odd man out.

If we're actually listening to Kelly and we believe what he's saying then don't expect Vick to start here

[SIZE=1em]This season, Barkley may not start for the Eagles as Michael Vick is expected to win the starting job over Nick Foles.[/SIZE]
I would say its about 70-30 in favor of Foles winning the job. Given the time of the Vick deal, it had to be done then since Kelly hadnt even had a chance to see the team yet. Also, given what we've heard and seen with the Barkley pick that Vick looks to be the odd man out.

If we're actually listening to Kelly and we believe what he's saying then don't expect Vick to start here
Agreed. Vick may not even be on the opening day roster let alone starter. If Kelly is being honest, Vick is the opposite of everything Chip has said he wants in a starter.

Amused to Death said:
Bigboy10182000 said:

Agreed. Vick may not even be on the opening day roster let alone starter. If Kelly is being honest, Vick is the opposite of everything Chip has said he wants in a starter.
:goodposting:

jonboltz said:
I said this about Foles "[SIZE=1em]Quarterbacks must be precise and get the ball to the skill position players quickly via pass or handoff. If Vick gets banged up, then Barkley may be able to beat out last year's third-round pick Nick Foles."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Not exactly discounting him IMHO. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]This article was an examination of the offense and how Barkley's skill set would fit in the scheme. Foles has a stronger arm but lacks the accuracy and pass placement that Barkley has (again, just my opinion). It would certainly be an interesting competition if/when Vick is released. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]I also agree with the poster that said Vick is not a great fit for this system (which I outlined in the article). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]thanks for reading this :thumbup: it was great to examine the Kelly system closely. [/SIZE]

And thanks for sharing. It is very exciting to have something new in town to watch, especially with something with such novelty.

Matt Barkley was a waste of a pick. He will never beat out Nick Foles in a competition. He has way more flaws and limitations than Foles. If there was a legit competition for the starting job in the preseason last year Vick would have lost to a rookie. I sound like a broken tape, Foles averaged 20ppg in his last 4 starts. Outside of the Eagles thread he gets no love. When you watch the film he made players relevant, unlike Vick. The offense didn't stall and even Alex Henry got a chance at some fg's. he did all his dirt with a backup O-Line, backup skill players, a sorry defense and a lame duck coach. I know you're on record saying Foles isn't that good but he is a really accurate passer and gets the ball out quick. The cherry on top is he ran a uptempo offense at Arizona.

I'm tired of hearing about Chip Kelly's system. He tips his plays like Madden tournament players, ok... His offense is no better than any other offense. The only difference is the pace and number of plays called. He's like Mike D'Antoni. Let a Steve Nash lead Offense shoot with a lot of time left on the shot clock and you'll score a lot of points. Seems brilliant on the surface but when you break it down all he did was run pick and rolls all game and shoot 3's more frequently with really efficient players. It has more to do with the players than a magical system.

Unless Kelly is blowing smoke, I like his theory of being a equal opportunity offense. All he cares about is putting the ball in the end zone. Doesn't matter if he has to pass 50x or run 50x. He's basically saying in every predraft interview that if you give me Tom Brady I will throw all game and I don't need a running QB. That's like if Kelly got the NE job he would trade Brady because he doesn't fit his system. That would be dumb. That was when I start buying Foles on the cheap because he could lead the next fast pace offense. Barkley can succeed for short stretches because of the run game and o-line can mask his deficiencies but sooner or later he will get exposed as a passer. The hope is there because unlike Ried, Kelly won't ask Vick, or someone like Barkley, to throw 50x a game. a Vick/Barkley lead offense will struggle and i would shy away from all Eagles if that happens. Actually I'd go all in on Shady/Brown because his game plans are based on personnel.

Do you love Foles or hate Barkley? I ask because on the surface blasting the Barkley pick seemingly shows you have no clue of how value/BPA based drafting works on the NFL level. I'm higher on Foles than most but love the Barkley pick in the 4th based upon upside alone.

Do you love Foles or hate Barkley? I ask because on the surface blasting the Barkley pick seemingly shows you have no clue of how value/BPA based drafting works on the NFL level. I'm higher on Foles than most but love the Barkley pick in the 4th based upon upside alone.
This

jonboltz said:
I said this about Foles "[SIZE=1em]Quarterbacks must be precise and get the ball to the skill position players quickly via pass or handoff. If Vick gets banged up, then Barkley may be able to beat out last year's third-round pick Nick Foles."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]This article was an examination of the offense and how Barkley's skill set would fit in the scheme. Foles has a stronger arm but lacks the accuracy and pass placement that Barkley has (again, just my opinion). It would certainly be an interesting competition if/when Vick is released. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]I also agree with the poster that said Vick is not a great fit for this system (which I outlined in the article). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]thanks for reading this :thumbup: it was great to examine the Kelly system closely. [/SIZE]
Very good and interesting read. Made me more interested in drafting Barkley, but more importantly it made me discount Vick even further....and I now have more faith in the likelihood that DJax and Maclin will have a QB who can get them the ball.

What upside? Brady Qinn(remember he was "the most pro ready" too lol)? Fitzpatrick? Matt Flynn? He's not a bust but the upside you're speaking of is limited. No offense is going to fix that. You'll just be wasting your time with a Qb that can't lead you to the Superbowl. Just because he faded into the 4th he's a value pick? He's been on the radar since HS and played for a QB factory, it's not like he's some Mid-Major sleeper. You could have found a ok QB a lot later in this draft while filling other holes.

jonboltz said:

Very good and interesting read. Made me more interested in drafting Barkley, but more importantly it made me discount Vick even further....and I now have more faith in the likelihood that DJax and Maclin will have a QB who can get them the ball.
Thanks much! That is a fun offense to watch, and one that some saw as 'pass happy' because of the spread. In fact, it's built off old school ground and pound.

This
Agree 100000% I like Foles a lot, bu Barkley in the fourth was the SOD

jonboltz said:
I liked what I saw from Foles last season a lot, but the bolded text could be his downfall in this system. He's really slow even on handoffs.

As much as Chip did at Oregon, I think a lot of people are also discounting what he did with QB Ricky Santos at New Hampshire. Kelly has experience with a "WCO" style QB who isn't really that athletic.

More often than not, Santos averaged 2.0-2.5 yards per run. The bigger factor was his smarts and passing ability, though.

2004: 64% - 3,318 yards with 31 TD vs 10 INT

2005: 70% - 3,797 yards with 39 TD vs 9 INT

2006: 68% - 3,125 yards with 29 TD vs 7 INT [Chip Kelly leaves after this season for Oregon as OC]

2007: 73% - 2,972 yards with 24 TD vs 7 INT

Barkley won't wow athletically but he also won't be asked to run the ball very often either, maybe 3-4 times a game if that (48-64 carries). What he will be asked to do is mentally make that fast offense go and use his brains and arm to attack the defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...erfect-fit-for-philadelphia-eagles-new-system

Matt Barkley is a perfect fit for Philadelphia Eagles' new system

By Bucky Brooks

Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

Matt Barkley could be the next Tom Brady and should be the Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback of the future.

Don't laugh. That statement is based on my belief that the Eagles' fourth-round selection steps into a perfect situation that sets him up for individual success, while giving a championship-starved franchise a young quarterback with the pedigree to carry Philly over the threshold. With veteran Michael Vick ahead of Barkley on the depth chart right now, it's a situation reminiscent of Brady playing behind Drew Bledsoe for a season in 2000 before emerging to take over the New England Patriots' offense in 2001.

A closer look at the dynamics of Philadelphia's new offensive philosophy, coaching staff and personnel leads me to believe that Barkley will not only outplay his counterparts early in his career, but he will guide the Eagles back to prominence.

Here are four reasons why:

1) Chip Kelly's desire to play at a fast tempo plays to the strengths of Barkley's game.

All the conversation about Kelly's offensive philosophy revolving around the spread option is incorrect. The Eagles' system will be based around the notion of playing at a breakneck pace. Kelly is one of the biggest proponents of no-huddle football. He will implement a warp-speed approach in Philadelphia.

To operate at blinding speed, the quarterback must be able to process a tremendous amount of information quickly while getting the team in the proper play. Additionally, the quarterback must have a thorough understanding of the game plan and defensive concepts to make the correct checks and adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

Barkley is a cerebral quarterback with an exceptionally high football IQ. He processes information quickly, makes sound decisions under duress and enters the league with a thorough understanding of pro offensive concepts after spending four years in a complex system at USC. Most importantly, Barkley gained some experience directing a no-huddle offense during his junior and senior seasons (and directing two-minute drills throughout his career). Now, those moments certainly pale in comparison to directing a frenetic attack like the one Kelly orchestrated at Oregon, but it provided the Eagles' coach with a glimpse of how well Barkley could operate within a lightning-paced offense built on speed and tempo.

Pondering how the no-huddle could work with Barkley, I can envision the Eagles utilizing an approach that is similar to the methods employed in Denver and New England, with Peyton Manning and Brady at the respective controls. Both veterans are masters at changing the pace of the game -- based on the reaction of the defense -- to create an advantage for the offense. Additionally, the rapid pace forces defensive coordinators to utilize simple schemes due to concerns about communication issues between the defenders. Without having to worry about deciphering complex pre-snap looks, a young quarterback like Barkley could thrive early in his career as a passer and playmaker.

2) Pat Shurmur's familiarity with West Coast principles will benefit Barkley.

Observers have speculated that Kelly would attempt to bring his zone-read system to the NFL, but the hiring of Shurmur as the Eagles' offensive coordinator makes it highly likely the team will use a hybrid offense with several West Coast principles. This makes the Barkley pick a sensible one, given his experience running a similar system at USC.

Sure, Lane Kiffin's version of the West Coast offense is certainly different than the one likely to be employed by the Eagles, but the verbiage and concepts will transfer over. Barkley will enter the NFL with a working knowledge of the Eagles' base scheme. That knowledge will accelerate his learning curve and allow Kelly to load him up with information early in the installation process.

Additionally, Barkley's familiarity with the West Coast offense will help him master the checks and adjustments used at the line of scrimmage. Kelly's desire to operate at a breakneck pace makes it mandatory for the starting quarterback to make quick decisions at the line. Barkley's thorough understanding of the offense should help him make sound decisions under duress, which bodes well for Kelly getting the pace and tempo he desires.

Now, I know there has been some concern about Barkley's marginal athleticism, and how he would fit into a system that also features some zone-read concepts. But the beauty of the zone-read is the myriad of variations that can be utilized to help a non-athletic quarterback thrive as the point man. From the incorporation of the bubble screen on the backside of the zone-read to the implementation of packaged plays (run-pass combination plays that give the quarterback options based on the reaction of the defense), Barkley certainly has the instincts and football IQ to successfully execute the concept.

Remember, the quarterback in Kelly's Oregon system didn't run that often -- Marcus Mariota logged 106 carries in 13 games last season, an average of 8.2 attempts per contest -- so inserting a non-runner shouldn't dramatically affect the potency of the attack.

3) The Eagles' explosive perimeter weapons will make the game easier for Barkley.

Barkley isn't viewed as a transcendent franchise quarterback in the mold of Cam Newton, Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III, but that doesn't mean he can't develop into a championship-caliber signal-caller with the right pieces around him.

I've watched Barkley progress throughout his career and believe he is the ultimate game manager, with a "pass-first" point guard mentality that allows him to distribute the ball to the open guy, rather than forcing it to a designated playmaker. During his final two seasons at USC, Barkley's top two targets (Robert Woods and Marqise Lee) averaged 93.5 and 95.5 receptions per season, respectively. Additionally, Barkley frequently targeted the Trojans' tight ends and running backs, offsetting the two-deep coverage utilized by most opponents to take away the explosive weapons on the outside. This was particularly effective in 2011, when Barkley directed a USC offense that finished with eight players boasting 10 or more receptions, including a pair of tight ends (Randall Telfer and Xavier Grimble) who combined to snag 41 balls for 417 yards and nine touchdowns.

In Philadelphia, Barkley is surrounded by the kind of talent that should encourage him to spread the wealth in the passing game. On the perimeter, he has a pair of dynamic pass catchers in Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson. Both guys have shown the capacity to take over games from their respective positions. Maclin functions primarily as a possession receiver, while Jackson acts as the big-play threat on the outside. Collectively, they pose problems to opponents with their speed and burst.

At tight end and fullback/H-back, the Eagles have an intriguing trio of playmakers (Brent Celek, James Casey and rookie Zach Ertz) with the potential to wreak havoc between the hashes. Each player possesses the size, speed and athleticism to work down the seam, while also showing the versatility to align as a quasi-receiver in open formations to create mismatches. This gives Kelly the ability to utilize a variety of formations from "12" (one back, two tight ends and two receivers) and "21" (two backs, one tight end and two receivers) personnel packages, helping his quarterback find easy completions in the passing game.

Factor in an explosive running game featuring LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown, and Barkley steps into a high-revving offense that simply needs an efficient conductor at the helm. With 47 collegiate starts directing a high-powered offense at USC, Barkley is primed to fill the role as the Eagles' eventual starter.

4) Playing behind Michael Vick for a season will help Barkley enjoy success in 2014.

Changing dynamics of the NFL have observers expecting young quarterbacks to start immediately. But the old-school method of slowly introducing the pro game to embryonic signal-callers continues to be an effective approach. Take a look at the careers of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and, most recently, Colin Kaepernick. Sitting behind an established starter can provide a young quarterback with enough time to acclimate to the pro game.

With Vick in the fold, Barkley steps into a situation that should afford him that opportunity. The veteran is in line to win a training-camp battle for the starting job, which would allow Barkley wait in the wings as the backup or No. 3 quarterback (behind Nick Foles) in his rookie season. This would allow him to watch the game from afar, avoiding the immense pressure and scrutiny that comes with stepping onto the field as a rookie starter. Additionally, it would give Kelly and his staff enough time to develop Barkley's skills on the practice field, fully preparing him for the pro game.

Sure, there have been several recent examples of young quarterbacks playing better than expected in Year 1, but the model for long-term success typically involves sitting and watching for some time before being handed the keys to the car. While Barkley could be primed and ready to roll as a rookie, the opportunity to cultivate his ability and build future game plans around his strengths could pay huge dividends for the Eagles down the road.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks

Another article: X's and O's: Chip Kelly's Offense and the NFL

Not nearly as in-depth as others but delves into some of the formations and unique looks Chip showed at New Hampshire during 2005 & 2006 (when Santos won the Walter Payton Award). Most interesting part was the 2 TE looks out of the Shotgun formation. Allows for a quick WCO passing system, vertical attack passing, or a power running game inside (and outside) thanks to the blocking of the TEs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ding-the-fits-barkley-is-the-future-in-philly

Finding the Fits: Barkley is the future in Philly
By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
May 15, 2013 8:58 pm ET

Excerpt:

During the next several weeks, NFLDraftScout.com will review the more intriguing picks made during the 2013 NFL Draft in a series called "Finding the Fits." The goal of the series is to identify one relatively unheralded player per team who appears to be a good schematic fit and, therefore, more likely to be a surprise contributor early in his pro career.

Philadelphia Eagles' Best Fit: QB Matt Barkley, Southern Cal, 4th Round, No. 98 overall

Possessing just average athleticism overall, Barkley might not appear to be an ideal fit in the spread option attack that new Eagles' head coach Chip Kelly used to such great effectiveness while leading the Oregon Ducks.

As such, the Eagles' trade up to nab the former Southern California star is perhaps the best evidence yet that Kelly plans to incorporate a more conventional pro-style attack into his offense. If so, Barkley's intelligence, quick release and very good accuracy while on the move could make him a steal at No. 98 overall.

Having starred in a pro-style offense throughout his high school and collegiate career, Barkley is perhaps as ready to contribute as a starting NFL quarterback as any passer from the 2013 draft class.

While Barkley does not possess eye-popping straight-line speed or a howitzer for an arm, he does possess an impressive combination of the Three A's -- accuracy, awareness and anticipation -- traits that have historically translated into success in the NFL.

According to multiple sources, Barkley fell on draft day because scouts are worried that he's physically maxed out. Clearly, he does not offer the upside that incumbent starter Michael Vick possesses, which is why it would be an upset for Barkley to overtake him as the club's opening day starter, despite the fact that Kelly has steadily maintained that the Eagles' starting quarterback role, like every other position, is an open competition.

Scouts questioned after the draft said that they did not believe teams pushed Barkley down the board due to the unique talent he'd been surrounded with at USC. If skill-position talent surrounding Barkley was an issue for some teams, it won't be in Philadelphia, where, with LeSean McCoy, DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin (among others) for defenders to focus on, quarterbacks have plenty of playmakers to exploit.

In large part due to his ability to get the ball to his playmakers quickly, expect to see Barkley quickly pass Nick Foles on the Eagles' depth chart.

And with Vick on a one-year deal and having played a full 16 regular season games only once in 10 NFL seasons, Barkley could prove a fit in Philly sooner rather than later.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77392/forecasting-the-eagles-offense

Forecasting the Eagles' offense
Excerpts:

So where does that leave rookie Matt Barkley? A lot of people thought on draft day that he was not a good fit for this offense, with limited mobility to stretch defenses with his feet. However, after watching a lot of USC film, I think he is a good fit. He is accurate in the short-to-intermediate passing game, with not a lot of vertical passes required; he is good on the play-fake; and he has underrated pocket mobility.
And as for Barkley, a lot of teams saw reasons not to spend a first-round, second-round or third-round pick on him in a league in which a lot of teams need quarterback help. Sure, in theory he can work in a Kelly offense. But fourth-round draft picks don't often make successful starting NFL quarterbacks. (Same with third-rounders, by the way, which is likely why Nick Foles' name doesn't even come up here.) Barkley and the Eagles have much work to do before they can know whether he's the long-term solution at quarterback.

Rotoworld:

Fourth-round pick Matt Barkley was reportedly "fairly impressive" at OTAs and "could loom as a key piece" of the Eagles' long-term plans.
Despite his draft-day slide, "some evaluators" reportedly still believe Barkley could develop into the top quarterback from the '13 class. The National Football Post's Len Pasquarelli concedes Barkley is unlikely to figure into the Michael Vick-Nick Foles training camp battle, but it's reasonable to think Barkley could see late-year playing time if the Eagles' season goes south.

Source: National Football Post

Rotoworld:

Fourth-round pick Matt Barkley was reportedly "fairly impressive" at OTAs and "could loom as a key piece" of the Eagles' long-term plans.
Despite his draft-day slide, "some evaluators" reportedly still believe Barkley could develop into the top quarterback from the '13 class. The National Football Post's Len Pasquarelli concedes Barkley is unlikely to figure into the Michael Vick-Nick Foles training camp battle, but it's reasonable to think Barkley could see late-year playing time if the Eagles' season goes south.

Source: National Football Post
He'll likely move on or move out.

Vick will be moved. I think it's a matter of time.
I agree with this as well. Barring some miraculous surge of playing ability and health, I think this is Vicks final year in Philly, which should likely open the door to Barkley to take over next season.

Barkley is a competitor and has shown he works hard to succeed. I have no doubt he'll do the same in Philly.

(TheHuddle)Philadelphia Eagles QB Matt Barkley likely will not be a factor in the team's starting quarterback competition during training camp but could be a key piece in the team's long-term future because he was impressive during organized team activities.

Analysis: No shocker here: If Barkley was ready to step in and be an immediate NFL starter, he wouldn't have lasted until the draft's 98th pick/4th round.

Rotoworld:

Matt Barkley has exclusively taken reps with the third team during training camp.
Talk of Barkley actually getting a chance to win the starting job has proven to be unfounded. The Eagles have had five full-team practices, and he's recorded zero first-team reps. Barkley will likely end up as the Eagles' developmental third quarterback in 2013. Meanwhile, there are light whispers that Michael Vick is gaining a sliver of separation from Nick Foles. Vick seen 98 first-team reps so far, compared to 87 for Foles.

Source: NJ.com

Rotoworld:

Eagles rookie QB Matt Barkley says his right shoulder was still an issue during the offseason.
Barkley separated his right (throwing) shoulder in November of his senior year at USC. "It wasn't 100 percent," Barkley said, "I'll admit that." Per the Philly Inquirer, Barkley's passes noticeably "lacked jump" during practices open to the media. Barkley and the Eagles now insist his arm is stronger. "We've seen him get stronger and stronger as he's been there," coach Chip Kelly said. "His arm is a lot stronger than when he first got here, but we could tell that." Barkley is expected to "redshirt" his rookie season.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

Rotoworld:

Matt Barkley completed 17-of-26 passes for 158 yards with no touchdowns, one interception and one lost fumble in Sunday's Week 8 loss to the Giants.

Michael Vick couldn't move on his balky hamstring and Nick Foles (concussion) was inactive, so Chip Kelly turned to Barkley in the second quarter. He was a disaster yet again. Barkley held the ball far too long in the red zone on his first drive, resulting in a careless fumble. He was often not on the same page with his receivers and his balls toward the sideline had zero zip on them. Even if Vick can't go in Week 9 at Oakland, the Eagles will be desperate to get Foles back under center. Barkley looks like an unprepared and unqualified fourth-round rookie. He has five turnovers in limited action over the last two weeks.

Oct 27 - 4:06 PM

Didnt watch him but looks like he completed a high %........does he have any chance at this level or just brutal?

Arm strength is poor. Someone could prove me wrong with the stats, but based on watching the game, pretty much all of the passes he completed were 10 yards or less. Guy is dropping snaps and fumbling. Just looks feeble, though to be fair he may have been better than Foles the week before.

Arm strength is poor. Someone could prove me wrong with the stats, but based on watching the game, pretty much all of the passes he completed were 10 yards or less. Guy is dropping snaps and fumbling. Just looks feeble, though to be fair he may have been better than Foles the week before.
Read an interview a few weeks back where Kelly was saying they looked at this as like a redshirt year for him to try to regain arm strength from his injury last year. Is that realistic he could improve on the noodle arm?

Keep in mind Barkley has never had a week of preparation as the starter. Even compared to other rookies its apples and oranges. That prep is really important.

He'll be getting one this week. Foles not ready.
You have to expect some improvement next week. I'm not saying he needs to go out and win the game, or throw 300 yards, but as much as I think its unfair to judge a raw 3rd string rookie coming in an emergency in 2 games, its entirely fair to evaluate him in this next game with full prep.

He'll be getting one this week. Foles not ready.
You have to expect some improvement next week. I'm not saying he needs to go out and win the game, or throw 300 yards, but as much as I think its unfair to judge a raw 3rd string rookie coming in an emergency in 2 games, its entirely fair to evaluate him in this next game with full prep.
Just don't expect the same Raiders defense you've seen the past few years. They are playing shockingly well.

Users who are viewing this thread