What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arthur Brown, The Next Luke Keuchly (1 Viewer)

I wish I could read an informed report about what is going wrong with Brown. He seemed like a cant miss guy and now it appears he has lost all of his value. I feel like an idiot for drafting him in dynasty but I never came across anything that would have suggested this type of a thud.

I would definitely wait to make these proclamations on Brown. They're just now coming off the bye and Brown was dinged early on.

He was dropped in my 12 team DYNASTY league last week...still hasn't been picked up..and there are almost 250 IDPs rostered.

Just to let you know how far he has fallen.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was dropped in my 12 team DYNASTY league last week...still hasn't been picked up..and there are almost 250 IDPs rostered.

That's ridiculous. Grab him. Just because someone drops him doesn't mean they are making a smart move. It's not like this dude has no dynasty value, that's just insane.

FYI, Khalil Mack won't get past BAL in the upcoming draft. Brown may need to be traded to have any value.

That's ridiculous. Grab him. Just because someone drops him doesn't mean they are making a smart move. It's not like this dude has no dynasty value, that's just insane.
Typo. 150 players rostered. Your point may still be valid, but I am going to wait. We are only allowed 12 WW moves during the season and I only have 2 left..

:missing: Found him in a back alley under a pile of old garbage in my dynasty league. He barely has an IDP pulse at this point. Hoping they don't have enough to re sign Daryl Smith who will be 32 next season. I'm a Bryce Brown owner and he's been bugging me to add his older brother.

If he had anything, wouldn't we have seen it by now? I used a high rookie IDP draft pick on him and he has done less than nothing. I signed him to a nice long contract so I'm assuming I've completely pumped the pooch on this pick.

I wish I could read an informed report about what is going wrong with Brown. He seemed like a cant miss guy and now it appears he has lost all of his value. I feel like an idiot for drafting him in dynasty but I never came across anything that would have suggested this type of a thud.
Agreed. I haven't read one report that explains why he's so horrible.

Agreed. I haven't read one report that explains why he's so horrible.
Keuchy will be HOF'er. He's in a class with Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher. I think Brown is solid/ok but he'll likely be forgotten than possibly being elite.
I should have elaborated...

Per Rotoworld: [Harbaugh expects Brown to start at MLB next season.] We have a glimmer of hope. The report also suggested that sports hernia surgery slowed down Brown's progress.

Per Rotoworld: [Harbaugh expects Brown to start at MLB next season.] We have a glimmer of hope. The report also suggested that sports hernia surgery slowed down Brown's progress.
You beat me to it. Here's the quote:

“Art Brown did a really good job in our nickel packages,” Harbaugh said. “He bounced around a little bit in college. And football, understanding the complexity of defensive schemes in this league, at this level, is going to take him to a starting role. He’s going to compete for a starting job. He’ll be competing for that [weak-side] linebacker starting job. I expect him to win the job, but he’s got to go win the job.”

Take it is you wish, but it's at least a grain of hope.

Doctor Jene has updated his IDP blog recently to reflect free agent signings.

Before LB Daryl Smith was re-signed with Baltimore he was speculating that Aurthur Brown could possibly vault into elite status.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=14bramel_rtd_free_agency_signings

... I'll do my best to keep up with that superhuman pace in the coming hours and days, bringing you the latest defensive free agent signings, releases and trades (should there be any) here with a running blog of sorts...

Denver signed Aqib Talib, interested in Jon Beason, Daryl SmithThe Broncos aren't playing around during the first 48 hours of free agency. They spent big money on T.J. Ward, sealed another big deal with Talib later in the evening, are working hard to add DeMarcus Ware and are looking to upgrade their linebacker unit. Wesley Woodyard is taking visits elsewhere and doesn't seem to be in the team's plans. Beason is a bit of an odd fit. He's an elite linebacker between the ears, but his body can't execute any longer. Smith would be a better fit if the Broncos can make the contract work.

What it means for IDP owners: Danny Trevathan was never a realistic option in the middle and Woodyard doesn't have the size to hold up between the tackles. Both Beason and Smith would deserve attention from IDP owners should Denver sign one, but Smith would be a much higher upside play. There remains mutual interest between Smith and Baltimore, so it's too soon to rush to judgment on Arthur Brown becoming an elite fantasy option -- though I expect Brown to be a much improved IDP regardless of Smith's landing spot.
The Ravens re-signed Smith and gave him a nice bump in salary.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/ravens-daryl-smith-agree-to-four-year-deal/

Ravens, Daryl Smith agree to four-year dealPosted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT

Daryl Smith will remain in Baltimore.

Smith, the middle linebacker signed last year to fill the shoes of Ray Lewis, has agreed to a new contract with the Ravens.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, it’s a four-year, $16.1 million deal. That deal was reported less than an hour after the Titans and inside linebacker Wesley Woodyard agreed to a four-year, $16 million deal, so that appears to be the going rate for inside linebackers right now.

Smith was a second-round pick of the Jaguars in 2004 and spent nine seasons in Jacksonville before signing with the Ravens last year. In his first year in Baltimore he started all 16 games and had career highs in combined tackles (123), sacks (5.0) and interceptions (three).

Smith is the No. 59 player in our Free Agent Hot 100.
I didn't buy the hype on A-Brown last year because it was waaay out in front of any evidence that Aurthur Brown was going to be an IDP star. It irked me because their is an Ozzie Newsome bias. A bias based on great past drafting but when a guy is drafted 51st and many other MLBers were taken ahead of him I saw no reason for last year's hype, none whatsoever other than Ozzie bias and that didn't do it for me.

Money talks, especially with defenders who have shown proven IDP production.

Daryl Smith is getting paid to be thee-guy in the middle for the Ravens so I think its reasonable to speculate that he's the Baltimore IDP LB to own this year just as he was last year.

Before LB Daryl Smith was re-signed with Baltimore he was speculating that Aurthur Brown could possibly vault into elite status.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=14bramel_rtd_free_agency_signings

... I'll do my best to keep up with that superhuman pace in the coming hours and days, bringing you the latest defensive free agent signings, releases and trades (should there be any) here with a running blog of sorts...

Denver signed Aqib Talib, interested in Jon Beason, Daryl Smith

The Broncos aren't playing around during the first 48 hours of free agency. They spent big money on T.J. Ward, sealed another big deal with Talib later in the evening, are working hard to add DeMarcus Ware and are looking to upgrade their linebacker unit. Wesley Woodyard is taking visits elsewhere and doesn't seem to be in the team's plans. Beason is a bit of an odd fit. He's an elite linebacker between the ears, but his body can't execute any longer. Smith would be a better fit if the Broncos can make the contract work.

What it means for IDP owners: Danny Trevathan was never a realistic option in the middle and Woodyard doesn't have the size to hold up between the tackles. Both Beason and Smith would deserve attention from IDP owners should Denver sign one, but Smith would be a much higher upside play. There remains mutual interest between Smith and Baltimore, so it's too soon to rush to judgment on Arthur Brown becoming an elite fantasy option -- though I expect Brown to be a much improved IDP regardless of Smith's landing spot.
The Ravens re-signed Smith and gave him a nice bump in salary.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/ravens-daryl-smith-agree-to-four-year-deal/

Ravens, Daryl Smith agree to four-year deal

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT

Smith, the middle linebacker signed last year to fill the shoes of Ray Lewis, has agreed to a new contract with the Ravens.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, its a four-year, $16.1 million deal. That deal was reported less than an hour after the Titans and inside linebacker Wesley Woodyard agreed to a four-year, $16 million deal, so that appears to be the going rate for inside linebackers right now.

Smith was a second-round pick of the Jaguars in 2004 and spent nine seasons in Jacksonville before signing with the Ravens last year. In his first year in Baltimore he started all 16 games and had career highs in combined tackles (123), sacks (5.0) and interceptions (three).

I didn't buy the hype on A-Brown last year because it was waaay out in front of any evidence that Aurthur Brown was going to be an IDP star. It irked me because their is an Ozzie Newsome bias. A bias based on great past drafting but when a guy is drafted 51st and many other MLBers were taken ahead of him I saw no reason for last year's hype, none whatsoever other than Ozzie bias and that didn't do it for me.

Daryl Smith is getting paid to be thee-guy in the middle for the Ravens so I think its reasonable to speculate that he's the Baltimore IDP LB to own this year just as he was last year.
Since you're doing a prescient victory lap on this, I assume you can explain the annual cap hit of Smith's contract for all 4 years of it? I can't find the terms of it other than in the most general terms described above. Those annual numbers in terms of cap hit each year are much more accurate in determining exactly how married BAL is to Smith as a solution at one of the MLB spots.

I feel that the key LB position for some teams is not as much about what the guy puts on the field as we fantasy football audience would want to believe to be so.

I feel an old Ray Lewis & London Fletcher brought these kinds of intangibles. Perhaps similar things could be said about Tedy Bruschi and Brian Urlacher. Is it leadership, teamwork, work ethics, instincts, communication with teammates...? I do not know the answer, but it is more than what gets recorded on that gamebook.

I sense both NYG and BAL follow that suit and somehow can justify myself why they paid these guys. I also would say similar things about CAR & PIT. The Steelers kept Farrior for that role, and I believe the Panthers think they can fall back on Thomas Davis if Kuechly falters to be that guy with the intangibles.

The Broncos aren't playing around during the first 48 hours of free agency. They spent big money on T.J. Ward, sealed another big deal with Talib later in the evening, are working hard to add DeMarcus Ware and are looking to upgrade their linebacker unit. Wesley Woodyard is taking visits elsewhere and doesn't seem to be in the team's plans. Beason is a bit of an odd fit. He's an elite linebacker between the ears, but his body can't execute any longer. Smith would be a better fit if the Broncos can make the contract work.

The Ravens re-signed Smith and gave him a nice bump in salary.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/ravens-daryl-smith-agree-to-four-year-deal/

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, its a four-year, $16.1 million deal. That deal was reported less than an hour after the Titans and inside linebacker Wesley Woodyard agreed to a four-year, $16 million deal, so that appears to be the going rate for inside linebackers right now.

Since you're doing a prescient victory lap on this, I assume you can explain the annual cap hit of Smith's contract for all 4 years of it? I can't find the terms of it other than in the most general terms described above. Those annual numbers in terms of cap hit each year are much more accurate in determining exactly how married BAL is to Smith as a solution at one of the MLB spots.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/40/daryl-smith[x]

3/14/2014: Signed a four-year, $13.6 million contract. The deal included a $3.5 million signing bonus. Another $2.5 million is available through incentives. 2014: $1.6 million, 2015: $2.5 million, 2016-2017: $3 million, 2018: Free Agent

MindCrime said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/40/daryl-smith[x]

3/14/2014: Signed a four-year, $13.6 million contract. The deal included a $3.5 million signing bonus. Another $2.5 million is available through incentives. 2014: $1.6 million, 2015: $2.5 million, 2016-2017: $3 million, 2018: Free Agent
Thanks. That's not heavily backloaded. Looks like BAL would get a 750K cap benefit for cutting him in 2015. That's effectively a one year deal. The 2014 cap hit puts him at ILB27. That would indicate BAL is paying him to start next year with anything beyond being pretty flexible - meaning they'll likely be very open to one of the kids stepping up either preseason or during the year and taking his job if they can.

Even paying him 2,5 to play in 2015 is far from expensive. As a veteran back up even it might work. so nice contract for both sides. And probably the best news Arthur Brown could have hoped for until the light bulb goes on, if ever.

Smith was on a one-year deal in 2013 at minimum cost. You could make that argument last year that he was a JAG bridge till the wonderkid emerged to take over the world.

They re-upped Daryl instead of handing the baton to A-Brown.

They took that action to pay Daryl because they are saying he is the guy this year and A-Brown isn't ready.

Victory lap eh.

Fair question to ask.

If A-Brown were taken late in the 2nd round by a lousy team would this thread even exist?

Why not? If a guy drafted in the 4th by a bad team like James-Michael Johnson can get thread in here, then so can anyone else.

If Arthur Brown was drafted by the Browns, Bracie would be all over his jock.

If Arthur Brown was drafted by anyone not in the AFC North, he probably wouldn't be posting in here.

Ashem said:
Why not? If a guy drafted in the 4th by a bad team like James-Michael Johnson can get thread in here, then so can anyone else.

If Arthur Brown was drafted by the Browns, Bracie would be all over his jock.

If Arthur Brown was drafted by anyone not in the AFC North, he probably wouldn't be posting in here.
You got me Ashem.

The evidence is overwhelming of me starting Browns threads of every IDP that they've drafted. Note all of the Barkevious Mingo threads I started. I mean this board is littered with em. Err um, no.

Try the most obvious reason why this thread began.

The overt or hidden-double-secret Ozzie Newsome bias.

Newsome hasn't drafted a decent LB since T-Sizzle back in 2003 when he had a top-ten pick.

A decade ago Terrell Suggs was drafted by Ozzie Newsome.

Since then Oz has drafted the following linebackers:

Rodrick Green

Mike Smith

Ryan LaCasse

Prescott Burgess

Antwan Barnes

Tavares Gooden

Paul Kruger

Jason Phillips

Sergio Kindle

Courtney Upshaw

Arthur Brown

11 linebackers drafted by Ozzie since T-Sizzle who was a top-ten selection.

Not sure why their was so much hype with Arthur Brown.

The only reason I can supply is Newsome bias but I see no evidence for holding that bias considering his track record of drafting linebackers outside of the first round since his biggest feathers in his cap for drafting linebackers are, T-Suggs (1st rd 2003), Peter Boulware (1st rd 1997) Ray Lewis (1st rd 1996) all first round drafted linebackers, none of them recent picks.

I wasn't sold on Arthur Brown because the Baltimore defensive stats weren't dishing out high IDP points to their inside linebackers that interested me for my league unless they were Ray Lewis in his prime and the sort of hype that Brown was getting was that he wasn't just going to get the 'average' IDP points of recent Baltimore starting inside linebackers but that he was going to get valuable IDP points because he was something special and I didn't see it.

I centainly haven't seen special linebackers being drafted by Ozzie Newsome outside of the first round so I have to question why he ever got that sort of hype in the first place.

Bloom had Brown as his #1 LB before the draft, but I think his list was geared for fantasy football and not the draft. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/redesign2013/footballguys/article_doug.php?article=2013bloom100

Mike Mayock had him as his #3 ILB before the draft behind Teo, Minter. http://fansided.com/2013/04/23/nfl-draft-2013-mike-mayocks-top-100-prospects-unveiled/

Greg Cosell had him as the #2 non-rush LB drafted behind Ogletree before the draft. He says that he tried to rank based on talent rather then team need. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-mock-draft-picks-17-32-132849912--nfl.html

So, pro Ravens bias before the draft? Pro Kansas bias?

Bloom had Brown as his #1 LB before the draft, but I think his list was geared for fantasy football and not the draft. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/redesign2013/footballguys/article_doug.php?article=2013bloom100

Mike Mayock had him as his #3 ILB before the draft behind Teo, Minter. http://fansided.com/2013/04/23/nfl-draft-2013-mike-mayocks-top-100-prospects-unveiled/

Greg Cosell had him as the #2 non-rush LB drafted behind Ogletree before the draft. He says that he tried to rank based on talent rather then team need. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-mock-draft-picks-17-32-132849912--nfl.html

Other then your pro Browns agenda, do you have anything to offer?
I asked why the hype and you furnished hype as some sort of definative answer.

The question remains. Why the hype?

Why did all of those guys say Arthur Brown should be rated so high?

Why are you so desperate to defend Ozzie Newsome's pedestrian record of drafting linebackers outside of the first round? Or are you nothing but a blind Raven fan?

I think those guys thought Brown would be good because they scouted him before the draft and liked what they saw. That's why they rated him high. Cosell's link has his thoughts on Brown. Bloom has a small blurb as well. Look up old posts/tweets by them if you want more.

I'm not a fan of either team and I really don't care who drafted him. I'm just pointing out that you're wrong to say that people only like Brown because Newsome drafted him, when there were people who liked him before he was drafted.

We disagree on why those guys rated Arthur Brown so-high. I do think it is because their are biases, not only for Ozzie Newsome as who is a great GM but he doesn't have a perfect draft history. Their are biases for other teams/coaches/GMs like Bill Belichick. The media nearly always praises Bill if he makes a trade but his draft history isn't perfect. He's got a lot of misses.

Ozzie and Bill have spotty draft records but they are truly great in their respective fields, Ozzie as a GM and Bill as a head coach. They get undeserved credit for their drafts.

Ozzie is a great GM. If you give him a high pick he'll find talent if its there but if the talent isn't there it is simply not fair to say he's a great GM so a late in the second round is going to be WHAT exactly? A great player? Or is it fair to say that Ozzie got a guy at an area of need who will need time to develop just like some of the other guys he has taken and developed into viable starters?

Arthur Brown should turn into a solid starter in time. I think that is reasonable.

IDP fantasy players don't just do one-overs on prospects. We root around like swine trying to find truffles. We might even pick up a guy a few times and drop them and pick them back up again. We read everthing, including the hype but you have to put on a filter and the sort of hype that Brown wasn't reasonable and it has nothing to do with how good Ozzie Newsome is as a GM.

I think it had to do with a bias that places unreasonable expectations on players that Oz has drafted because if you go back you will find hype and unreasonable expectations for Sergio Kindle who was viewed by many as a high first round pick and Courtney Upshaw who got some buzz the year before Arthur Brown was talked-up.

Heads up.

Ravens HC John Harbaugh says he's looking for inside linebackers.

I have been posting lots of mock drafts to try and figure out what teams might do at the top of the draft.

C.J. Mosely to the Ravens has only come up in a handful of mock drafts but it makes sense if they really like him and Ozzie went to Bama under Bear Bryant.

Also it is possible that Mosely 'could' be the highest rated gut on their board if he's there when they select.

Inside linebacker doesn't seem to be the highest need for Baltimore so I don't think they would take Mosely with their top pick but if they do then it obviously not be a positive for Arthur Brown.

Harbaugh mentioning his inside linebacker as a position of need is interesting in and of itself

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Looking-For-One-Maybe-Two-Inside-Linebackers/24dee111-beb1-4f54-9219-39aadff095bb

Ravens Looking For One, Maybe Two Inside Linebackers

Posted Apr 6, 2014

The Ravens re-signed inside linebacker Daryl Smith this offseason, but that doesn’t mean they’re done reinforcing the position.

We need to bolster our inside linebacker position – at least one, maybe two guys,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said at the NFL owners meetings last week.

The Ravens have a long list of needs, but inside linebacker hasn’t been commonly identified.

Baltimore cut Jameel McClain – who later signed with the New York Giants – opening up one starting spot.

Harbaugh said he expects second-year linebacker Arthur Brown to win that starting Will job. Brown was a highly regarded second-round pick last year who essentially had an apprentice year in which he served as the nickel linebacker.

If Brown and Smith are the starters, the only depth on the roster is Josh Bynes who started six games last year, and Albert McClellan, who can play both outside and inside.

Baltimore also holds the rights to inside linebacker Rolando McClain should he return to the NFL following his retirement last offseason. McClain, a former first-round pick, was reportedly set to speak with General Manager Ozzie Newsome on Friday about a possible comeback.

The Ravens could look to the draft to add inside linebacker talent for depth, or look to a potential future replacement for Smith, who is 32 years old.

The top draft option available, who could be around at pick No. 17 in the first round, is Alabama’s C.J. Mosley. General Manager Ozzie Newsome has a soft spot for players from his Alabama alma mater, but he hasn’t drafted an inside linebacker in the first round since Ray Lewis in 1996.

Wisconsin’s Chris Borland, Connecticut’s Yawin Smallwood, Stanford’s Shayne Skov, Florida State’s Christian Jones and LSU’s Lamin Barrow are mid-round options at the position.

Baltimore could also target a veteran, especially after cuts around the league begin to be made. They didn’t sign Smith until June 5 last offseason. Linebacker Rolando McClain could be another option as he has expressed a desire to come out of retirement. McClain reportedly plans on meeting with General Manager Ozzie Newsome to discuss the possibility to return to Baltimore.

Rolando McClain also wants to return and met with Ozzie this past Friday. Maybe Ozzie was just pumping him for info on Mosely, lol.

News today, per Rotoworld:

Ravens ILB Arthur Brown is tentatively penciled in as a three-down player.
Jameel McClain has signed with the Giants and Josh Bynes projects as a situational player. It leaves Brown, who was mostly a nickel linebacker as a rookie, as a leading candidate for a starting role next to Daryl Smith. Already a plus pass defender, Brown would bring tackle upside into the season if he doesn't rotate out on run downs. The former two-time All-Big 12 selection has breakout candidate appeal in IDP circles pending his role.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8441/arthur-brown

Roto gives cliff notes.

Here is the original source material from the Baltimore Sun.

Seems Arthur Brown had trouble maintaining his weight in his rookie season and he finished last year at only 227 lbs.

They say he's added 6 pounds and is 'up-to' 233 lbs which is acceptable but kinda light for an inside 3-4 LBer so maybe that had something to do with his dissapointing rookie year. In this article he seems to think he will lose the six pounds he's gained once camp starts but said he's trying to increase his strength so he may have trouble keeping weight on his frame. He's looking to increase his 'functional strength' and I think that is the norm for a rookie with a lighter frame like Brown.

Here is the full article.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-arthur-brown-chasing-starting-linebacker-job-as-ravens-launch-offseason-program-20140421,0,61069.story

Arthur Brown chasing starting linebacker job as Ravens launch offseason program Arthur Brown had 15 tackles, forced fumble and a half-sack as a nickel linebacker as a rookie; 2013 second-round draft pick trying to gain weight to compete for starting job in second NFL seasonBy Aaron WilsonThe Baltimore Sun7:40 a.m. EDT, April 21, 2014

Arthur Brown spent the majority of his rookie season operating in pass coverage as a nickel linebacker, embracing a complementary role after being drafted in the second round.

Now, the inside linebacker has set his ambitions on winning a starting job as the Ravens' weak-side inside linebacker opposite veteran middle linebacker Daryl Smith. With Jameel McClain, last year’s starter, having signed with the New York Giants, Brown has a prime opportunity to emerge as his replacement.

“It’s an honor to even be considered and compete for that spot,” Brown said during a telephone interview. “I’m looking forward to it. Some strengths to my game are my explosiveness, my speed and being a sideline-to-sideline defender that has a high motor and has great instincts to the ball. I take that into account and play to my strengths and work on the other levels of my game to make me the complete package as a player
“That’s what I’m working on. Last year, was a stepping stone for me and a lot of the other rookies to learn and gain from our experiences. I’m looking forward to making a greater impact and a greater contribution this year.

As the Ravens begin the first phase of their voluntary offseason workout program Monday at their training complex, this marks a continuation of what Brown has been working on ever since an 8-8 season ended with a loss to the Cincinnati Bengals and the team failed to make the playoffs for the first time under coach John Harbaugh.

After finishing his rookie season with 15 tackles, a half-sack and a forced fumble in 14 games, the former Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Year has been trying to add weight without losing any of the speed that sets him apart as a linebacker. Brown said he currently weighs about 233 pounds, about six pounds heavier than where he finished last year.

“I’m looking to put on a little more weight until training camp and then start shedding some pounds from there,” Brown said. “I’ve got to maintain the speed. I’m willing to put on weight as long as I don’t compromise my speed. A key part of my game is speed.

“I’ve been working on my physical strength, just getting in the weight room and putting on some more functional muscle mass. All of my workouts have been performed with a purpose of that in mind. It’s been beneficial leading up to this point and I’m continuing to do what I’ve been doing to improve myself.”

Billed as an every-down linebacker out of Kansas State, Brown got most of his snaps as a rookie on third downs and excelled at shadowing running backs due to his instincts and mobility.

When the season ended, Ravens coach John Harbaugh was complimentary of Brown while also saying more will be expected from him going forward.

“Art Brown did a really good job in our nickel packages,” Harbaugh said. “He bounced around a little bit in college. And football, understanding the complexity of defensive schemes in this league, at this level, is going to take him to a starting role. He’s going to compete for a starting job. He’ll be competing for that linebacker starting job. I expect him to win the job, but he’s got to go win the job.”

The Ravens retained Smith with a four-year contract worth up to $16.1 million in March, which sets up another year of him mentoring Brown after Smith led the defense in tackles last season.

“I’m extremely excited,” Brown said. “I was so happy to hear he signed back. That was probably the most exciting news I received this offseason. The influence and impact Daryl had on the team last year was so valuable and the impact he had on me, he really taught me a lot. Being able to have the opportunity to play by his side and learn some more, that’s an really exciting thing.”

Brown was an All-American selection, a two-time team captain and a two-time All-Big 12 selection who recorded 201 tackles, 16.5 for losses, three sacks, three interceptions in two seasons at Kansas State after transferring from the University of Miami.

That’s the kind of production that the Ravens and Brown are hoping for as he matures into an increased role in his second NFL season.

“I came in with high expectations and I didn’t want to limit myself,” Brown said. “I know the expectations coming into my rookie season, but it was a stepping stone season. I learned a lot and gained from it. I’m looking forward to making some noise this year.”

Thanks for the updates guys.

People are still smitten with him in dynasty formats. So far I've seen him go in two auctions for as much as Jerrod Mayo and Demeco Ryans. So don't expect to buy low on him.

To me he looks as shaky as Bostic or K.Robinson as far as breakout candidates go. I'd rather draft Vincent Rey or Sio Moore than that triumvirate.

So that, as they say, appears to be that.

Cant even say it was a fun ride while it lasted.

On the plus side, I tried to acquire him 3 weeks ago and was shot down. thank goodness.

Arthur Brown - LB - Ravens
After drafting C.J. Mosley, the Ravens plan to use 2013 second-round pick Arthur Brown as a nickel linebacker.
Daryl Smith and Mosley are expected to be the starters in 2014, but the Ravens envision Mosley and Brown as their long-term inside linebackers. Baltimore's defense will be better by betting Josh Bynes out of the rotation. Brown primarily played nickel linebacker in 2013, managing 15 tackles across 14 games.

Hmmm and Daryl SMith is about as cheap to cut as keep next year. Interesting situation, but only a die hard optimist will think drafting Mosley is anything but bad for Brown, at least in the short term

Holy carp guys I'm actually finding there are still buyers for Brown. I'm trying to figure out what to get for him in terms of 3-down players. It looks like a high end 3-down rush LB is a certain possibility. I've got an owner mulling over a deal for Cyprien with a rookie pick included. I thought I'd be laughed at but when someone on Sunday offered a trade I started to shop. Interesting stuff.

holy carp indeed..........

Ravens ILB Arthur Brown has "slid down the depth chart" since the beginning of training camp.
Last year's second-round pick is definitely behind Daryl Smith and first-rounder C.J. Mosley, and it sounds like Brown has fallen behind Josh Bynes and perhaps Albert McClellan as well. Brown reportedly excels in space, but too often gets enveloped amongst bodies. He's going to be a special teamer in 2014.

holy carp indeed..........

Ravens ILB Arthur Brown has "slid down the depth chart" since the beginning of training camp.
Last year's second-round pick is definitely behind Daryl Smith and first-rounder C.J. Mosley, and it sounds like Brown has fallen behind Josh Bynes and perhaps Albert McClellan as well. Brown reportedly excels in space, but too often gets enveloped amongst bodies. He's going to be a special teamer in 2014.
Wow. Feel bad for the kid.

It seems like it is good news for Mosely though.

If Arthur Brown fades then I vote we let this thread retire peacefully with some respect.

I burned a first rounder on him last year...maybe he can eventually play next to Mosley, or maybe go somewhere else to blossom...

Users who are viewing this thread