What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is your favorite piece of classical music? (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
I've been starting to listen to a lot more classical music recently, especially Schubert, Beethoven, and Chopin. Currently my favorite is Schubert's "Ave Maria".

Beethoven - String Quartet #14

Debussy - La Mer

Messiaen - Quartet for the End of Time

Gorecki - Symphony #3

Pretty much everything by Mahler and Stravinsky

Recently, I've come to really like

.It was used as the basis of the soundtrack for Run Lola Run which is what turned me on to it.

The girl who served as producer for my daughter's demo CD to apply to music school, Sanyoung Kim, is a semi-finalist in the Queen Elisabeth International Piano Competition in Brussels, Belgium. Sanyoung Kim is also a student of my daughter's teacher, so they are peers, but my daughter is just entering college in the fall. The video is a flash video, unfortunately. This was from last Tuesday.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Concerto n. 23 in A major KV 488. Sanyoung Kim is the pianist.

http://www.cmireb.be/4DCGI/cgi?usr=gwgqqu6snb&lg=en&pag=1648&tab=146&id=3046&flux=60419398

ETA: From my daughter's teacher, "The semi-finals are occurring at this point and there are two parts to this round. Each of the 24 pianists has to perform a Mozart concerto with an orchestra and then also perform a recital. After this round 12 pianists will be selected for the final round. These pianists will be locked in a castle for about 10 days and will have to learn a new piece in that period. They will have to perform it with an orchestra and also perform in addition other solo and concerto repertoire."

Last edited by a moderator:
The girl who served as producer for my daughter's demo CD to apply to music school, Sanyoung Kim, is a semi-finalist in the Queen Elisabeth International Piano Competition in Brussels, Belgium. Sanyoung Kim is also a student of my daughter's teacher, so they are peers, but my daughter is just entering college in the fall. The video is a flash video, unfortunately. This was from last Tuesday.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Concerto n. 23 in A major KV 488. Sanyoung Kim is the pianist.

http://www.cmireb.be/4DCGI/cgi?usr=gwgqqu6snb&lg=en&pag=1648&tab=146&id=3046&flux=60419398

ETA: From my daughter's teacher, "The semi-finals are occurring at this point and there are two parts to this round. Each of the 24 pianists has to perform a Mozart concerto with an orchestra and then also perform a recital. After this round 12 pianists will be selected for the final round. These pianists will be locked in a castle for about 10 days and will have to learn a new piece in that period. They will have to perform it with an orchestra and also perform in addition other solo and concerto repertoire."
That is really cool.

Beethoven's 9th - It has actually brought me to tears listening to it on a good sound system.

I should ask my Dad what his is and chime in, as he's a professional (classical) musician.

Erik Satie - Gymnopedie No 1:

not sure I can nail down just 1 fav, but those 2 are pretty high in the list

Classically trained pianist who's played for 19 years...
awesome... :thumbup:
Wasn't trying to be a braggart so much as give my viewpoint on what I love since I've played most of the famous pieces to death over my lifetime.

I play in a blues band now and don't even get to play half of this stuff anymore. Always sucks banging away on chords to "Mustang Sally" after playing Gymnopedie.

Wasn't trying to be a braggart so much as give my viewpoint on what I love since I've played most of the famous pieces to death over my lifetime.

I play in a blues band now and don't even get to play half of this stuff anymore. Always sucks banging away on chords to "Mustang Sally" after playing Gymnopedie.
Nothing more beautiful than piano, imo. Gymnopedie is definitely up there as a favorite. So emotional.

Beethoven's 9th - It has actually brought me to tears listening to it on a good sound system. I should ask my Dad what his is and chime in, as he's a professional (classical) musician.
What does he play?
Bass Clarinet in the Baltimore Symohone Orchestra. It's his 50th year and will be retiring after the season. Was actually runner up in auditions for the NY Phil ages ago, but he's always loved Baltimore and the symphony had really grown (before the last 20 years where Baltimore declined economically while Symphonies have really struggled with changing demographics and an aging audience outside of the big five or so). Its still ine if only maybe 20 full time orchestras in the nation. Just a struggle for all of them.He stopped auditioning probably 35-40 years ago (around when I was born) if not longer, taught at Peabody for a good while and his prize student, Ricardo Morales, is now principal clarinetist for the NY Phil - and just a great great guy.It's a bit ironic as I have a tremendous appreciation for classical but don't really love it. Perhaps because growing up I had to sit through concerts or rehearsals waiting to get ice cream.

Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin.

But I do like the version where my daughter played the opening solo on the clarinet at Carnegie Hall the day before she graduated HS.

Here are my favorites to play...

Debussy - Clair De Lune:

Great selections.

I'm partial to Brahms' requiem. Back in college, I used to play timpani (joining with organ and piano) to accompany a church choir every Palms' Sunday for several years. The fourth movement (How lovely is thy dwelling place) still gives me goosebumps. My wife (and some current church members) know I'd like this movement sung at my funeral or a church service soon after.

Wasn't trying to be a braggart so much as give my viewpoint on what I love since I've played most of the famous pieces to death over my lifetime. I play in a blues band now and don't even get to play half of this stuff anymore. Always sucks banging away on chords to "Mustang Sally" after playing Gymnopedie.
Whoa, where do you live? Ever play in Houston?

Did not know any of this about you but that is really awesome.

Lots of good pieces mentioned. I have long been a Ravel fan so I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Bolero. This is the Wiener Philharmonics

Beethoven's 9th - It has actually brought me to tears listening to it on a good sound system. I should ask my Dad what his is and chime in, as he's a professional (classical) musician.
What does he play?
Bass Clarinet in the Baltimore Symohone Orchestra. It's his 50th year and will be retiring after the season. Was actually runner up in auditions for the NY Phil ages ago, but he's always loved Baltimore and the symphony had really grown (before the last 20 years where Baltimore declined economically while Symphonies have really struggled with changing demographics and an aging audience outside of the big five or so). Its still ine if only maybe 20 full time orchestras in the nation. Just a struggle for all of them.He stopped auditioning probably 35-40 years ago (around when I was born) if not longer, taught at Peabody for a good while and his prize student, Ricardo Morales, is now principal clarinetist for the NY Phil - and just a great great guy.It's a bit ironic as I have a tremendous appreciation for classical but don't really love it. Perhaps because growing up I had to sit through concerts or rehearsals waiting to get ice cream.
I have the Baltimore recording of Barber's adagio for strings (platoon) with Zinman. Top notch stuff.

What does he play?
That's so cool. Is that a good living financially?

Mozart's Clarinet Concerto

Beethoven's 5th, 6th and 9th.

At least 3 overtures by Rossini (La Gazza Ladra, The Barber of Seville, An Italian in Algiers), all right, I'll add the William Tell :P

The Sextet from Lucia di Lammermoor

Dove Sono from The Marriage of Figaro

Nessun Dorma from Turandot

Played French Horn through college and gigged a bit after that - thus preferential to dramatic pieces where the brass shines:

Mahler 2 (Resurrection):

Played French Horn through college and gigged a bit after that - thus preferential to dramatic pieces where the brass shines:

Mahler 2 (Resurrection):

:goodposting: To this day, Brain is THE virtuoso of the instrument, and he accomplished that while only living into his mid-30s. RIP.

I get that Beethoven's 5th and especially his 9th get the most love, but his 7th symphony is easily my favorite.

This

with the music coupled to Hubble images is perfecto, as if to say the entire universe deserves to hear Beethoven's work.

Users who are viewing this thread