What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is your favorite piece of classical music? (1 Viewer)

I get that Beethoven's 5th and especially his 9th get the most love, but his 7th symphony is easily my favorite.

This

It's worth a blacksehorn. It is a requiem (death mass) for the living. A combination of orchestra, choir and solo that challenges the meaning of life over death. It stands with any piece of music ever written. Unlike Grandfunk, it will take time to develop and take hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beethoven - String Quartet #14

Debussy - La Mer

Messiaen - Quartet for the End of Time

Gorecki - Symphony #3

Pretty much everything by Mahler and Stravinsky
:wub: I'm a sucker for most things Bach and Mozart piano music.

Also a fan of the French Impressionists: Debussy, Satie, Ravel and tangentially Poulenc

and Reich- Music for Mallet INstruments, Voices and Organ probably my fave, but it's all pretty similar.

oh and just about anything Part wrote.
Nice call on the Gorecki, I hadn't heard it before. I am especially digging choral pieces right now (Haydn's Creation, Mahler's 4th, Vaughan Williams Serenade for Music) so this is a well timed catch.
I'll try to think of specific tunes... but Poulenc and Part have some nice choral pieces.

Carmina Burana I think. Other than that the 'Freude' Chorus of Beethoven's 9th

I do have a soft spot for 'Le sacre du printemps' but not really an easy listening piece.

El Floppo said:
Beethoven - String Quartet #14

Debussy - La Mer

Messiaen - Quartet for the End of Time

Gorecki - Symphony #3

Pretty much everything by Mahler and Stravinsky
:wub: I'm a sucker for most things Bach and Mozart piano music.

Also a fan of the French Impressionists: Debussy, Satie, Ravel and tangentially Poulenc

and Reich- Music for Mallet INstruments, Voices and Organ probably my fave, but it's all pretty similar.

oh and just about anything Part wrote.
Nice call on the Gorecki, I hadn't heard it before. I am especially digging choral pieces right now (Haydn's Creation, Mahler's 4th, Vaughan Williams Serenade for Music) so this is a well timed catch.
I'll try to think of specific tunes... but Poulenc and Part have some nice choral pieces.
Oh thanks. I have a pretty lengthy list-always like to find new stuff.

Rookie question:

Love listening to classical and would like more on my ipod. It is quiet intimidating searching for stuff on the library site. I think Beethoven yields 300+ cds to choose from. What in the world am I looking for as far as different versions/orchestras?

KarmaPolice said:
Rookie question:

Love listening to classical and would like more on my ipod. It is quiet intimidating searching for stuff on the library site. I think Beethoven yields 300+ cds to choose from. What in the world am I looking for as far as different versions/orchestras?
It can be complicated as different conductors can specialize in certain composers or styles, orchestras sound different and work better for certain pieces. The easiest guide that will yield consistent results are to go for works by the top orchestras in the world. Anything by the following should be good to great:

Vienna Philharmonic

Berlin Philharmonic

London Symphony Orchestra

Royal Concertgebouw

New York Philharmonic

Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Boston Symphony Orchestra

Cleveland Symphony Orchestra

Czech Philharmonic

San Fran Symphony

Those are the best all around IMO if you are looking for large scale works like symphonies.

I also highly recommend seeing an orchestra live if you live near a good one. It's an awesome experience. I'm booking looking at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's schedule now and likely to see Beethoven's 5th and Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique.

KarmaPolice said:
Rookie question:

It can be complicated as different conductors can specialize in certain composers or styles, orchestras sound different and work better for certain pieces. The easiest guide that will yield consistent results are to go for works by the top orchestras in the world. Anything by the following should be good to great:

Vienna Philharmonic

Berlin Philharmonic

Royal Concertgebouw

New York Philharmonic

Czech Philharmonic

San Fran Symphony

Those are the best all around IMO if you are looking for large scale works like symphonies.
Fantastic info - thanks!

Cleveland is good at something?!!?? :shock:

Love the list of conductors too, and bookmarked that link, but will keep it simple at first and go with this list. Easier to scan for as well, since it looks like orchestra is listed along with the work on the library's search function.

I also highly recommend seeing an orchestra live if you live near a good one. It's an awesome experience. I'm booking looking at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's schedule now and likely to see Beethoven's 5th and Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique.
One of these years I will. Money is always tight. Live near Madison, WI and they have a new center that puts on shows. Chicago is always a fairly quick drive and do currently have an in-law living there.

KarmaPolice said:
Rookie question:

It can be complicated as different conductors can specialize in certain composers or styles, orchestras sound different and work better for certain pieces. The easiest guide that will yield consistent results are to go for works by the top orchestras in the world. Anything by the following should be good to great:Vienna Philharmonic

Berlin Philharmonic

Royal Concertgebouw

New York Philharmonic

Czech Philharmonic

San Fran Symphony

Fantastic info - thanks!

Love the list of conductors too, and bookmarked that link, but will keep it simple at first and go with this list. Easier to scan for as well, since it looks like orchestra is listed along with the work on the library's search function.
Yeah, that's shocking but the "Big 5" of American orchestras does include Cleveland. Hell, there is a real argument for them being the best symphony in America over the last 60 years. Philly is top notch as well. Where are you getting the music from? By library, you mean public library?

KP, a few years back I purchased the following 3 albums from ITunes:

The 100 Most Essential Pieces of Classical Music for $9.99

100 Classical Musical Pieces: Essential Piano Classics for $9.99

Chamber Music: 50 of the Best for $5.99

Incredibly cheap for the amount of music- hours and hours of classical, all the most famous.

One of these years I will. Money is always tight. Live near Madison, WI and they have a new center that puts on shows. Chicago is always a fairly quick drive and do currently have an in-law living there.
I hear ya. Chicago is a great place to see a concert if you get the chance. What pieces/style do you like? I can help you find others that you would like.

Incredibly cheap for the amount of music- hours and hours of classical, all the most famous.
If you do Spotify, it has an amazing classical selection. Every great piece and almost all the top recordings. It's a good place to go after a sampling like that. If you want to dig deeper.

KarmaPolice said:
Rookie question:

It can be complicated as different conductors can specialize in certain composers or styles, orchestras sound different and work better for certain pieces. The easiest guide that will yield consistent results are to go for works by the top orchestras in the world. Anything by the following should be good to great:Vienna Philharmonic

Berlin Philharmonic

Royal Concertgebouw

New York Philharmonic

Czech Philharmonic

San Fran Symphony

Fantastic info - thanks!

Yeah, that's shocking but the "Big 5" of American orchestras does include Cleveland. Hell, there is a real argument for them being the best symphony in America over the last 60 years. Philly is top notch as well. Where are you getting the music from? By library, you mean public library?
Yeah, I still get a lot of stuff through the public library. The Madison area libraries have a ####-ton of stuff and pool together so I can order it and have it shipped to my hick town. I do have Spotify as well. Mostly listen to that at home, since my drive to work has spotty reception and my phone sort of sucks. Good for previewing stuff and narrowing down what I like, but still get physical discs to put on the ipod for better travel.

KarmaPolice said:
Rookie question:

Berlin Philharmonic

Royal Concertgebouw

New York Philharmonic

Czech Philharmonic

San Fran Symphony

Fantastic info - thanks!

Yeah, I still get a lot of stuff through the public library. The Madison area libraries have a ####-ton of stuff and pool together so I can order it and have it shipped to my hick town. I do have Spotify as well. Mostly listen to that at home, since my drive to work has spotty reception and my phone sort of sucks. Good for previewing stuff and narrowing down what I like, but still get physical discs to put on the ipod for better travel.
Libraries have amazing collections and are how I got into most of the stuff when I was younger. That said, Spotify is outstanding. You can always save things so you don't need connection to listen. Let me know if you want suggestions. I love classical music but being a 32 year old guy, I don't have many people that I can talk to it about. Rock music is great, but classical music is on a whole different level. It as only in the last year that I got into it again and I find myself listening to less and less rock music.

I hear ya. Chicago is a great place to see a concert if you get the chance. What pieces/style do you like? I can help you find others that you would like.
I will be honest, I haven't listened to a ton, especially lately.

I took a intro class in college, and that was eons ago. Remember liking Brahms and Mahler a lot. Just like my movies, I am sure I gravitated more for darker tones, etc.. Been writing down ideas from this thread and the other one. Also got through the library one of the Great Courses on the symphony/classical music. Have done a couple of those for other topics, so we will see how this one is. Seemed like it was highly rated.

Feel asleep listening to Wagner's The Ring on Spotify last night.

This is a good suggestion and I keep seeing them, but I usually have a mental roadblock with these. Just like how I am unable to put anything but full albums on the ipod, I have trouble with the idea of listening to a greatest hits of classical music and just having one movement out of a symphony. I know it would be a good starter to a least expose myself to a lot of different styles quickly though. Hmmm

I will be honest, I haven't listened to a ton, especially lately.

I took a intro class in college, and that was eons ago. Remember liking Brahms and Mahler a lot. Just like my movies, I am sure I gravitated more for darker tones, etc.. Been writing down ideas from this thread and the other one. Also got through the library one of the Great Courses on the symphony/classical music. Have done a couple of those for other topics, so we will see how this one is. Seemed like it was highly rated.

Feel asleep listening to Wagner's The Ring on Spotify last night.
The darker stuff is my favorite as well. Requiems are my favorite and are usually dark as hell. The Requiems by Brahms, Mozart, Verdi and Berlioz are top notch. Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony, the Suicide Symphony is maybe the darkest ever written. He died just days after it was performed. Pretty much every symphony written before this ends on an upbeat fast movement. His ends in a total downer. In many ways, it's the story of his life. Rising from the despair to the heights of fame before dying with what was left of his life to be turned into propaganda by the Russian government.

This is a good suggestion and I keep seeing them, but I usually have a mental roadblock with these. Just like how I am unable to put anything but full albums on the ipod, I have trouble with the idea of listening to a greatest hits of classical music and just having one movement out of a symphony. I know it would be a good starter to a least expose myself to a lot of different styles quickly though. Hmmm
I wouldn't stress about a greatest hits. It isn't my style either, but even Beethoven often had his symphonies played with other pieces inbetween the movements at times. The order isn't necessarily canon.

Nothing like live music.

If you're ever in the Northern Cali wine country, check out the Green Music Center. It's has remarkable sound, and I saw the San Francisco Symphony perform Ravel there last year.

I don't know if it's been said yet, but YouTube is a great way to listen to the great classical works. There are countless complete CDs, and some of the live performances are amazing.

Beethoven's Late String Quartets!

These were pretty much written after he became deaf. And the result is that unlike the relative peace and harmony of his earlier chamber stuff, you have much more dynamic arrangements, since he was "mind painting" them as much visually in terms of music theory as with his mind's ear. A lot of the time, it's almost as if the instruments are battling one another for the right to come forward. The upshot is that they're kind of legendary for how difficult they are to perform live, and that the best recordings give the listener a full and dynamic soundstage where you can really hear the nuance and precision demanded from each performer. A recording with a good stereo separation really brings these to life in a way that's hard to replicate with orchestral pieces.

A few recommendations: The EMI recording by the Busch Quartet is probably the most famous. Revered above all for its tone, and has an absolutely cultlike following. Not my personal favorite, because I prefer both a livelier and cleaner, more modern-sounding recording. But it is considered the gold standard by more people than any other.

The Philips recording by the Quartetto Italiano is my fave. Very clean. Great soundstage. Extremely lively and the recording still sounds modern. More than any other I've found, makes you feel like you're sitting in a chair as they play in a semi-circle surrounding you. Hard not to appreciate the interplay between instruments with this one. My absolute favorite classical recording of all time.

The Harmonia Mundi recording by the Tokyo String Quartet is a more recent award winner. Not as lively as the Quartetto, not as smooth as the Busch, but the TSQ is always hyper-precise, and the quality of the recording is in many ways objectively superior, being from this decade. Major selling point is that it's probably the best recording that's easy to find on FLAC, if high-def is a selling point for you and your listening enjoyment.

Just want to add that instead of waking up to a bunch of babbling caffeine freaks some areas have a classical station to tune your clock radio to. Much nicer way to wake up.

Not sure the prices at Madison but if you ever come towards Dubuque, you can catch our orchestra. Not bad and you can get some pretty cheap tix.

Amazon has incredible deals on classical music. Search "big box" within digital music, and you get the whole line. For instance, the Big Mozart Box has 131 tracks for $2.99. The recordings aren't always the best, but they aren't bad, either. I've got more classical music than I'll ever be able to listen to, and I doubt I've paid $20 total for it.

My favorite - Sevilla, a guitar piece.

Amazon has incredible deals on classical music. Search "big box" within digital music, and you get the whole line. For instance, the Big Mozart Box has 131 tracks for $2.99. The recordings aren't always the best, but they aren't bad, either. I've got more classical music than I'll ever be able to listen to, and I doubt I've paid $20 total for it.

My favorite -

If you have Spotify tho, no need for anything else.

Just want to add that instead of waking up to a bunch of babbling caffeine freaks some areas have a classical station to tune your clock radio to. Much nicer way to wake up.
or not wake up. which is also nice.
One of my phone's stock ringtones is a sweet Bach solo cello concerto. I use it for my alarm.
if cello turns your crank, look into Demachy
Yeah that's good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread