What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (2 Viewers)

cstu said:
“I kind of judged it wrong,” Hopkins said. “I couldn’t really see the way it was bouncing. After looking at it, I definitely think I could of dove and got it. Out there on the field, I thought too much.”

“That was a long game,” Hopkins said. “There is about an hour or 60 minutes in a game and I don’t think that five seconds or however long decided the outcome of the game. We had a lot of turnovers and they had turnovers. It’s football.”
GAMER!
Why say this? On the field, he clearly decided very quickly that he definitely couldn't get it.
The sentence in red says everything. The moment you think too much is the moment you make mistakes.
It's not in a WR's mentality to run across the field and dive for the football.

Does anyone think Randy Moss would have got that fumble?
Brilliant deduction skills, Hopkins. In other news, water is wet, ice is cold, and you sir, are an IDIOT.

That was 1 of the worst/chicken non-moves ive seen in football in quite some time. Embarrasing really. He should have held a sign "I'm too scared to get hurt so I prefer we just lose this game, thanks"

That was 1 of the worst/chicken non-moves ive seen in football in quite some time. Embarrasing really. He should have held a sign "I'm too scared to get hurt so I prefer we just lose this game, thanks"
It was definitely Pinkston esque.

cstu said:
I kind of judged it wrong, Hopkins said. I couldnt really see the way it was bouncing. After looking at it, I definitely think I could of dove and got it. Out there on the field, I thought too much.

That was a long game, Hopkins said. There is about an hour or 60 minutes in a game and I dont think that five seconds or however long decided the outcome of the game. We had a lot of turnovers and they had turnovers. Its football.
GAMER!
Why say this? On the field, he clearly decided very quickly that he definitely couldn't get it.
The sentence in red says everything. The moment you think too much is the moment you make mistakes.
It's not in a WR's mentality to run across the field and dive for the football.

Does anyone think Randy Moss would have got that fumble?
Ohhhh, I like this game!

Does anyone think Steve Smith would have gotten that fumble??

He has some extra time to let this stew. Now we can find out what kind of player he is. Will he turtle up under the criticism or will he blow up for 10-200-2?
Yeah, like they'd give him ten targets.
Good point. Based on how productive he's been on a per target basis he'd hit those numbers in about 13-15 targets but he's not sniffing 10 targets a game, less yet that workload.

I'm not sure if he did not dive for the ball because he was afraid to get hurt or just pouting because of his lack of heavy workload but I doubt anyone is buying his timing excuse.

I'm sure Texans fans and people in his locker room are disgusted with his lack of effort, don't care for his reasons or weak excuse, and I don't blame them. I would generally term his effort as not being professional.

On the other hand as a fantasy owner I kind of like it the reason he did not dive for that ball was because he was just pissed about his lack of use because frankly he should be and we all know that sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Fitzpatrick fumbles.

AJ fumbles.

Hopkins gets blamed for the loss for not reacting quick enough to someone else's fumble.

Got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
“I'll take the blame,” Hopkins said, according to the Houston Chronicle's John McClain. “I think I made the biggest mistake by hesitating. If I didn't think it was an incomplete pass, I probably could have got it. I thought it was incomplete, and I hesitated. By the time I got to it, their guy got on it.

And LOL @ not reacting quickly enough...

He saw the ball come out when everyone else did. He just made a selfish "business decision." Don't spin it any other way.

This is the most embarrassing thing since Albert Haynesworth just laid on the ground rolling around for 9 seconds as Vick ran by.

Or maybe since the buttfumble.

Fitzpatrick fumbles.

AJ fumbles.

Hopkins gets blamed for the loss for not reacting quick enough to someone else's fumble.

Got it.
The two bolded ones were NOT due to a lack of effort.

Surely you are just joking, right?
I guess I just have a hard time caring if a WR for the Texans doesn't try hard enough to get a fumble. I also didn't watch the game so I don't really care.

Fitzpatrick fumbles.

AJ fumbles.

Got it.

I guess I just have a hard time caring if a WR for the Texans doesn't try hard enough to get a fumble. I also didn't watch the game so I don't really care.
Good of you to check in.

Fitzpatrick fumbles.

AJ fumbles.

Got it.

Over 50,000 posts so I guess it's no surprise he has an opinion on things he hasn't seen and doesn't care about.

Fitzpatrick fumbles.

AJ fumbles.

Got it.

Over 50,000 posts so I guess it's no surprise he has an opinion on things he hasn't seen and doesn't care about.
I do care about how many fantasy points he gets though. Perhaps you guys who care so much about his fumble recovery ability should spend some time on the Texans forum, not a FF forum.

Rotoworld:

DeAndre Hopkins caught six passes for 108 yards in the Texans' Week 7 loss to the Steelers on Monday night.

Hopkins and Andre Johnson each saw a team-high nine targets. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw it to whichever receiver was working against embattled Steelers CB Cortez Allen. Hopkins' biggest play of the night was a 32-yard catch in the fourth quarter, but he ended up losing a fumble on the play, crushing the Texans' hopes of a comeback. Hopkins is more of a boom-or-bust WR3 than WR2. He'll have a plus matchup on the road against the Titans in Week 8.

Oct 21 - 12:16 AM

Hopkins may be doing to most with the least of any WR in the NFL. He has caught 31 of the 42 passes thrown his way on the year turning that into 472 yards and 3 td's. The Texans need to start getting Hopkins involved weekly with more targets.

Compare what Hopkins is seeing to Andre Johnson who has 39 catches on 63 targets for 496 yards and 1 td. Johnson has received 21 more targets yet he has only 24 more yards than Hopkins, only 7 more receptions and 2 LESS td's.

If you have good WR's you need to target them and let them make plays. Guys like Brown 73 targets, Jordy Nelson 74 targets, Julio Jones 77 targets, Dez 69 targets, Hilton 68 targets are getting looks. Their qb's are allowing them to make plays. They need to start throwing to Hopkins more especially with his catch percentage being so high.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
Hopkins may be doing to most with the least of any WR in the NFL. He has caught 31 of the 42 passes thrown his way on the year turning that into 472 yards and 3 td's. The Texans need to start getting Hopkins involved weekly with more targets.

Compare what Hopkins is seeing to Andre Johnson who has 39 catches on 63 targets for 496 yards and 1 td. Johnson has received 21 more targets yet he has only 24 more yards than Hopkins, only 7 more receptions and 2 LESS td's.

If you have good WR's you need to target them and let them make plays. Guys like Brown 73 targets, Jordy Nelson 74 targets, Julio Jones 77 targets, Dez 69 targets, Hilton 68 targets are getting looks. Their qb's are allowing them to make plays. They need to start throwing to Hopkins more especially with his catch percentage being so high.
Yep. At some point Hopkins has earned the right to see the ball more often.

My biggest question: why hasn't this happened so far?

Carter_Can_Fly said:

Yep. At some point Hopkins has earned the right to see the ball more often. My biggest question: why hasn't this happened so far?
Whats the consensus, would Mallett or Savage do a better job with this offense? I think O'Brien when asked about going to backups said it depends on the record. My bet is if they go 3-6, 4-7 we might see Mallett or Savage.

Carter_Can_Fly said:

Yep. At some point Hopkins has earned the right to see the ball more often.

My biggest question: why hasn't this happened so far?
Part of the problem is Fitz looks at his first read and either throws it to him and barely gets to the second read which would probably be Hopkins most of the time. When Hopkins is the first read and Fitz throws it to him good things are happening.

How does this guy look going forward? I know he still has a bye, but is the production we've seen sustainable? Anyone trying to acquire him?

Good matchup this week, I'm starting him to cover Jordy Nelson on a bye. Hoping he busts out a big one against Philly, they looked prone to deep plays last week against Arizona.

Eagles secondary is prone to letting up big yards to the secondary WRs. I have AJ and DHop so I might play both.

Basically three back to back 100 yard games and he recovered a fumble! I didn't know that was in he wheel house..

Very solid season despite the boneheaded moments. Serious talent. When you consider who's chucking it to him, having a helluva year.

PPR WR30 in the top 200 forward this week - his real value still greatly exceeds his perceived value.
As a first time buyer, I would say this is without a doubt true. Was offered Nuk and Keenan Allen for Alshon and was floored when I looked up Hopkins numbers. Noticed Alshon still plays BobbyLayne's mighty Lions twice and pulled the trigger.

I am in now. Thoughts on Mallett impact?

Has been really strong the last 3 games but I feel like we will need to reassess the situation now that Mallett is QB. I think much of his performance this week will be about how much Haden he sees, pretty sure Haden's been very good the last month or so.

Ted Mullins said:
Has been really strong the last 3 games but I feel like we will need to reassess the situation now that Mallett is QB. I think much of his performance this week will be about how much Haden he sees, pretty sure Haden's been very good the last month or so.
:yes:

Brendan Leister (@BrendanLeister) tweeted at 8:36am - 3 Nov 14:

Impressive. RT @PFF: Joe Hadens week by week grading after a rough start: pic.twitter.com/BogdgosZW9 (https://twitter.com/BrendanLeister/status/529265750230728704?s=17)

ETA: Mediocre situation
I don't get this? Sure the Texans were 8th in rush offense, but they were 11th in pass yardage per game? Andre is mid 30's. Shaub is average (when healthy) but he's not terrible. That's a great opportunity.
Andre is not mid 30s though. He is 31 and turns 32 soon and is coming off a monster season. He has 4 more years on his contract. Looking at the numbers, it won't be until 2015 when the Texans may have a tough decision on whether or not to ask him to restructure as his salary is low the next 2 years and even in 2015 isn't crazy high. He is likely to be a Texan for the next 3 years. So I think if you draft him, you have to be patient knowing that he won't be the #1 for at least 2 years, probably longer. So you are getting a #2 in an offense that runs a lot, throws a lot to the RBs and TEs and has a big time #1 WR. It isn't a terrible situation due to the numbers you mentioned, but it isn't great either in my opinion.
Roddy White is 31, turning 32. Do you think people were complaining about how terrible the situation was that Julio found himself in?

Just to remind you, here was Atlanta's situation:

Atlanta in 2010 (the year before Julio was drafted)

--Matt Ryan had 571 passing attempts

--Roddy led all WRs with 177 targets

--Jenkins was #2 WR with 73 targets

--Gonzo at TE had 109 targets

--Turner (28 years old) had 344 rushes for 1371 yards and 12 TDs

Now, here's Houston:

Houston in 2012 (the year before Hopkins was drafted)

--Matt Schaub had 544 passing attempts

--AJ led all WRs with 179 targets

--Kevin Walter was #2 WR with 76 targets

--Daniels at TE had 130 targets

--Foster (26 years old) had 351 rushes for 1411 yards and 15 TDs

Eerily similar down to QBs first names and the fact they finally went out and drafted a WR in the 1st round.

So, what did Atlanta do the next 2 years:

Atlanta in 2011 (Julio's rookie year)

--Ryan had 566 passing attempts

--Roddy had 191 targets

--Julio had 102 targets

--Gonzo had 122 targets

--Turner had 301 rushes for 1340 yards and 11 TDs

Atlanta in 2012 (Julio's 2nd year)

--Ryan had 615 passing attempts

--Roddy had 153 targets

--Julio had 138 targets

--Gonzo had 131 targets

--Turner had 223 rushes for 803 yards and 10 TDs

What happened? Atlanta's offense adapted to their new playmaker at WR. They also became more potent on offense and were able to run more plays while not having their RB carry 300+ times/season. They were easily able to support 2 top tier WRs and a top TE while having an established running game.

In the end, if Hopkins is the goods, his situation in Houston is in no way, shape, or form a negative. In fact, given AJ's age, Foster's heavy workload, Daniels' age, it makes sense why they invested a 1st round pick on a WR. It's not to finally complement AJ. It's to join AJ and eventually take over much like Julio.

Now, I'm not saying that Hopkins is the megastud that Julio is, but the point is that if you think he is a top tier talent (Houston does based on the fact he was the #2 WR off the board behind only Austin), you should be happy with his landing spot. Schaub is still only 32 years old.

He won't be the #1 WR this year, but virtually no WRs come in and become the #1 WR in their rookie year (even guys like Julio or Dez or D. Thomas). But you could see what Julio was capable of after his rookie year despite playing alongside a WR that got 191 targets (holy cow) and knew he was going to get his. And he did in his 2nd year. If Hopkins is the real deal, he'll be commanding targets by his 2nd year when Houston adjusts their offense to get him the ball along with AJ.

My $.02.
Yep, already the #1 in year 2 of his career.

Bench roll call? :bag:

Gordon, ODB, and Keenan here.
Gordon, AJ, Mike Evans,

FLEX :rant: A. Boldin

Other League

Gordon, DT, ODB

FLEX Mike Evans :yucky:

Won both games, but Gordon is hurting me in other ways that I didn't understand. He's been my flex all year.

I benched Hopkins and Wright and started Beckham/Edelman/Wallace. (Should still eke out a win, as long as Wallace/Miami D don't go negative.)

if the texans were in playoff contention this guy would be getting a lot more press.... he's also being overshadowed by the ridiculous 2014 rookie class.

given the staggering influx of young WR talent producing excellent pointage for the WR position i wonder how it will impact auction drafts next year in redraft leagues...?

Users who are viewing this thread