What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (1 Viewer)

36 targets over these last 2 games - I knew Johnson's departure would help him, but this is crazy. He's definitely earning a spot in that top WR tier.

Now, imagine what would happen if Houston got a decent QB! :jawdrop:

36 targets over these last 2 games - I knew Johnson's departure would help him, but this is crazy. He's definitely earning a spot in that top WR tier.

Hackenburg next year.

Glad I have him in two leagues and really, really wish I drafted him more especially in all the best ball drafts I did. I can't remember how many time I passed him over for guys like Cooks and then twice was forced to hold my nose and take him in the third round and he was pretty much my last choice in the third on my own draft board. Hindsight is 20/20...

The last two weeks, it seems to me that Hoyer will throw to a covered Hopkins and believe he'll get it. Mallett is more nervous about it and throws elsewhere when he could probably zip it to Hopkins.
That's what he did with Gordon. Go get it.

Honestly, I don't want him to have a "good" QB. Houston needs to play from behind all season. THAT is what's driving his numbers.

*ETA - That and the fact that he's really good...

Last edited by a moderator:
cubbie5150 said:
If opposing defenses don't start defending him like he's a premier WR, he's easily going to exceed 200 targets.
Who says they're not defending him like a premier WR?

stbugs said:
spider321 said:
What an idiot.

He's lucky that personal foul did not cost his team the game.
That was a ticky tack call IMHO. The Colts player wouldn't let go of him, it wasn't taunting. He shouldn't have done it anyway, but he wouldn't have thrown the ball if the defender didn't hang onto him.
lol..."I wouldn't have hit the other kid if he didn't call me names"

The only thread this guy needs is the thread needed to stitch the Colts defense back together after what he did to it. Don't need anything else to know this guy is the real deal. What a performance.

ILUVBEER99 said:
He belongs in the elite WR tier. Most have him in the 2nd grouping but he's as good as guys like ODB, DT, etc
He's better than those guys. Hard to find a guy other than Julio I would take over him.

Is his current pace even remotely sustainable?

After 5 weeks he's on pace to convert 237 targets into a 134/1850/10 stat line.

I'm not selling but yeah, that target total can't actually happen.

I don't know about 237 but Gordon was on Pace for 181 in 2013 if he played 16 games. So somewhere in that range maybe which is still a lot. Demaryius had 184 last year and Brown had 181.

It's not likely, but it's far from impossible. The pieces are in place for a monster season.

Barring injury, Hopkins will end his career as the best sub-6'2 WR in NFL history.
Bartender!

I'll have what he's having.

Hopkins had 1,210 yards receiving and 6 TD's last season.

Torry Holt had over 1,300 yards receiving for 6 years IN A ROW, and more TD's in 5 of those years.

In fact, Holt had at least 1,188 receiving yards for 8 years IN A ROW!!!

Barring injury, Hopkins will end his career as the best sub-6'2 WR in NFL history.
Bartender!

Torry Holt had over 1,300 years receiving for 6 years IN A ROW, and more TD's in 5 of those years.

maybe having warner chucking the ball helped a bit.

best 3rd round pic i've had in a long time.

Bartender!

Torry Holt had over 1,300 years receiving for 6 years IN A ROW, and more TD's in 5 of those years.

maybe having warner chucking the ball helped a bit.

best 3rd round pic i've had in a long time.
Here here...I took him after OBJ. I was angling for the two best WRs to make insane highlight reel catches this year.

ILUVBEER99 said:
He belongs in the elite WR tier. Most have him in the 2nd grouping but he's as good as guys like ODB, DT, etc
No, he isn't.
Why? Because of his measurables? Watch the dude, he's elite. He's not Julio, he's not Antonio Brown (although the Antonio Brown might not be Antonio Brown without Ben) but I could see an argument that he's on a level with anyone in the next tier.

ILUVBEER99 said:
He's a better NFL WR than Demaryius, IMO.

Nah. Lance Alworth, Don Hutson, Marvin Harrison, Paul Warfield, Steve Largent, Tim Brown, Steve Smith, Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne, Isaac Bruce, Anquan Boldin, Jimmy Smith, just to name my top dozen. Hopkins is going to have a long slog just to get his name on that list. Topping Alworth / Hutson / Harrison / Warfield / Largent to make it into the top five? Almost certainly not happening.

237 *probably* isn't happening... though I would have said before 2002 that no way was any NFL receiver grabbing 140 passes, either.

Target data is hard to come by, but I've seen it from various different places going back as far as 1989. In that span, there have only been four 200-target seasons. The year Calvin set the yardage record was one, the year Harrison set the receptions record was another, the year Herman Moore set the receptions record that Harrison later broke was another, and the last was... ummm... Rob Moore's 1997 season in Arizona. (???)

None of those four years topped 210 targets, though. So like I said, 237 definitely seems like a stretch. Even 200 is going to be tough. But Hopkins is certainly off to a blazing-fast start. According to PFR, (whose target data goes back to 1998), Hopkins is just the third player with 70 targets in his team's first five games. The last two were Houshmandzadeh in 2007, (finished with 169), and Wayne in 2012, (finished with 195). Make of that what you will.

All of this comparing him to others is premature. He's only in his third year. But he IS amazing. His route running and suddenness make him uncoverable. He's fast. Faster than his 40 time suggests. He's got super sticky hands and makes circus catches just like Beckham does.

He's the only legit wr threat that Houston has and opposing defenses know that and they know that the qbs relentlessly feed him the ball and they still can't stop him.

He's a beast.

All of this comparing him to others is premature. He's only in his third year. But he IS amazing. His route running and suddenness make him uncoverable. He's fast. Faster than his 40 time suggests. He's got super sticky hands and makes circus catches just like Beckham does.

He's the only legit wr threat that Houston has and opposing defenses know that and they know that the qbs relentlessly feed him the ball and they still can't stop him.

He's a beast.
Eta i'd rather have him than Beckham this year.

Bruce is the best comparison and Hopkins is better than Isaac in just about every measurable way. Faster, stronger, better hands.

last year, Andre was mentoring him. really made of point of preparing him to take over the role of #1 for the team. i'm prepared to believe that he took copious notes at this point. dude's been superb.

A better QB doesn't always mean he'll put up better numbers. Look at Mike Evans. His current QB situation is giving him this tremendous amount of targets, changing that might mean he does more with his targets (might not), but possibly will result in less overall targets.

ILUVBEER99 said:
No, he isn't.
Why? Because of his measurables? Watch the dude, he's elite. He's not Julio, he's not Antonio Brown (although the Antonio Brown might not be Antonio Brown without Ben) but I could see an argument that he's on a level with anyone in the next tier.
he is obviously a very good receiver, and he's great at what he does, but IMO he's not a guy that defenses fear.

In at least two games this year, he was (basically) a non-factor when the game was in doubt.

He has amassed a LOT of garbage time production this year

Yes, I know that counts in fantasy, but I am talking about his ability as an NFL 'elite' receiver.

Again, the word 'elite' is overused.

A better QB doesn't always mean he'll put up better numbers. Look at Mike Evans. His current QB situation is giving him this tremendous amount of targets, changing that might mean he does more with his targets (might not), but possibly will result in less overall targets.
Very true, although a QB who can move the ball more effectively might lead to increased RZ targets - quality over quantity?

last year, Andre was mentoring him. really made of point of preparing him to take over the role of #1 for the team. i'm prepared to believe that he took copious notes at this point. dude's been superb.
LOL. It would be fun to witness a study session between Johnson and Hopkins.I met CJ Fiedorowicz last year, and my son was asking him about playing in the NFL. Really nice guy, super friendly and talkative. I asked him about Hopkins, and whether or not they give him grief about being aware on the field and diving to get loose balls/fumbles. His reply "yeah, he's a different guy, marches to his own drum. I'm not sure he's all up there."

Good times. That said, I'm really glad this exchange didn't lead me to trade away Hopkins.

Is it possible that this guy is still a buy low (at least a little low) in dynasty?

As others have said he's still considered to be in that 2nd tier of WRs, not that elite tier 1. I think by the end of the year he easily could be considered a top 3 overall dynasty receiver if he maintains even 80% of the pace that he's on. With those big strong guys like Dez or Julio all they need is a good flash or two to vault up into that elite tier of dynasty WRs, but the smaller guys like Hopkins and Antonio Brown have to slap us over the face with it for 2-3 years before we finally adjust. There may be some space to still buy Hopkins at a slight discount before he hits Antonio Brown level value.

The "prorated target thing" concerns me. The first five games has seen little of Arian Foster and bad defense. Foster's presence by itself will lead to less passes. If the defense plays better, then that will be a drain on DeAndre's targets.

Is it possible that this guy is still a buy low (at least a little low) in dynasty?

As others have said he's still considered to be in that 2nd tier of WRs, not that elite tier 1. I think by the end of the year he easily could be considered a top 3 overall dynasty receiver if he maintains even 80% of the pace that he's on. With those big strong guys like Dez or Julio all they need is a good flash or two to vault up into that elite tier of dynasty WRs, but the smaller guys like Hopkins and Antonio Brown have to slap us over the face with it for 2-3 years before we finally adjust. There may be some space to still buy Hopkins at a slight discount before he hits Antonio Brown level value.
At 6'1 218 I wouldn't call Hopkins small. Certainly not of the same mold as A. Brown. or E. Sanders.

ILUVBEER99 said:
He's a better NFL WR than Demaryius, IMO.
I'm not making a specific statement that he's better or worse than anyone in the consensus top grouping, just saying he belongs in that top group.
I wholeheartedly agree. Hopkins is one of 6-8 receivers who I consider "top tier", (the variance depends on whether I'm counting Jordy and whether I'm giving Calvin Johnson the benefit of the doubt for a not-to-his-usual-standards start to the season). I was just saying I don't have Demaryius in my personal top grouping. :)

Hopkins is a star, though.

Yes, I think he's still undervalued. He's my #3 dynasty receiver as of last week. In DLF's last round of dynasty mocks, he was the 10th receiver off the board, behind Cooper and Evans, (just to name the two most egregious, in my opinion), and virtually tied with Alshon Jeffery. He's four years younger than Green and Dez (once Dez returns), four and a half younger than Demaryius, and scoring on par with all three of them. I'd trade any of those guys for Hopkins straight up, let alone with the potential to get another piece in addition.

Fun DeAndre Hopkins stat of the day: with 638 more receiving yards this season, (which would work out to 58 per game, or a hair more than he averaged as a rookie), he will finish with more receiving yards through his age 23 season than any player in history except for Randy Moss.

It's not like he's a 1-year wonder. He's a former 1st-round pick. He had 800 receiving yards as a 21-year-old rookie, which is phenomenal. He had 1210 yards, (on 127 targets), as a 22-year-old sophomore. Not only did he have 1200 receiving yards, he also led the NFL in percentage of his team's receiving yards and finished 7th in adjusted yards per team pass attempt. He completely balled out as the second passing option on a run-first team with bad quarterback play.

Maybe questions remained as to whether he could handle being the unquestioned focal point of an offense, but he's put those questions pretty well to bed through five games. You don't find many combinations of youth, talent, production, and upside like this in dynasty.

Users who are viewing this thread