What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Michael Floyd underrated? (2 Viewers)

I find it hysterical that there are still people out there who view Floyd as the 3rd option at best in the receiving game behind fitz and brown.

Couldn't be more wrong. Thats the way it was in the first half of the season BC Floyd was hurt and took a little while to get his football legs under him.

But once he returned to health he's been dominant and a primary read for Palmer. The guy is a specimen. First round draft pick and was drafted to be fitgerald's heir apparent. And he's proving that he can be that. John brown is a good wr but he's just small and fast.

When fitz leaves if Floyd stays he will be the wr1 in Arizona.
well so far its Brown who is making the biggest impact
Uccchhh, I knew someone was gonna come say this GARBAGE as soon as brown scored on that broken play. Do you think that play was DESIGNED like that? Come on, man...

Like I said, Brown is a GOOD wr...but he's no DOMINANT potential WR1. Floyd is that.

I find it hysterical that there are still people out there who view Floyd as the 3rd option at best in the receiving game behind fitz and brown.

Couldn't be more wrong. Thats the way it was in the first half of the season BC Floyd was hurt and took a little while to get his football legs under him.

But once he returned to health he's been dominant and a primary read for Palmer. The guy is a specimen. First round draft pick and was drafted to be fitgerald's heir apparent. And he's proving that he can be that. John brown is a good wr but he's just small and fast.

Uccchhh, I knew someone was gonna come say this GARBAGE as soon as brown scored on that broken play. Do you think that play was DESIGNED like that? Come on, man...Like I said, Brown is a GOOD wr...but he's no DOMINANT potential WR1. Floyd is that.
Agreed. When Floyd is healthy, he is very good.

Uccchhh, I knew someone was gonna come say this GARBAGE as soon as brown scored on that broken play. Do you think that play was DESIGNED like that? Come on, man...

Like I said, Brown is a GOOD wr...but he's no DOMINANT potential WR1. Floyd is that.
Dude take a pill...i said ''so far'' and thats the truth...i have Floyd in my line up and i need him to get his looks ...but it hasnt happened ...yet

Dude take a pill...i said ''so far'' and thats the truth...i have Floyd in my line up and i need him to get his looks ...but it hasnt happened ...yet
NOW im happy...TD

Uccchhh, I knew someone was gonna come say this GARBAGE as soon as brown scored on that broken play. Do you think that play was DESIGNED like that? Come on, man...Like I said, Brown is a GOOD wr...but he's no DOMINANT potential WR1. Floyd is that.
NOW im happy...TD
lol...sorry man. I'm in a bad freaking mood tonight. Business is crazy and my 7 year old son is driving me up a wall with his behavior. Short on patience.

But I got annoyed BC when I am talking about Floyd vs brown I'm not talking about 1 game or 1 play. Over the course of a season things normalize. Floyd is a way more talented and potentially dominant wr than brown. Will brown have some better games? Yes of course. That doesn't mean he's the #2 and Floyd is the #3 like so many have been saying. That's just lazy analysis from people that are just parroting what they heard the analysts spew about Floyd in the first half of the season without paying attention to how the cards have been treating Floyd when he has been healthy and on the field in the second half of the season. It's night and day. He's very involved and he's a beast.

NOW im happy...TD
lol...sorry man. I'm in a bad freaking mood tonight. Business is crazy and my 7 year old son is driving me up a wall with his behavior. Short on patience.

But I got annoyed BC when I am talking about Floyd vs brown I'm not talking about 1 game or 1 play. Over the course of a season things normalize. Floyd is a way more talented and potentially dominant wr than brown. Will brown have some better games? Yes of course. That doesn't mean he's the #2 and Floyd is the #3 like so many have been saying. That's just lazy analysis from people that are just parroting what they heard the analysts spew about Floyd in the first half of the season without paying attention to how the cards have been treating Floyd when he has been healthy and on the field in the second half of the season. It's night and day. He's very involved and he's a beast.
it`s all good man...we are on the same team ...team Floyd haha

Well, I didn't start him. Truth be told I only picked him up a few weeks ago in an MFL that has short benches from an impatient owner, but after seeing him tonight, if I get in, this cat is staying in my lineup.

Hopefully he starts commanding more respect in rankings now. Tired of seeing him ranked as a low end wr3/wr4

Rolling him out tonight. Hope he produces. Thursday of playoff weekend usually sets the tone for how it will go.
mI wish I had the nads to roll him out over Fitz in a non-ppr league. I think he blows up tonight with not safeties out. Palmer is feeding him and Fotz is the underneath security blanket
In over Fitz for me in a non-ppr league
I think the distribution recently, as a percentage of Palmer's throws (don't quote me on the exact %, although the pecking order is correct), has been something like 30% Floyd, 23% Fitz and 20% John Brown. This is interesting, because it was quite literally the opposite of this when Palmer was healthy in the past.
Floyd - 26%

Fitz - 17%

Brown - 14%

Right in line with what we've been seeing.

I have felt for a while that folks were missing the boat on him. He's not the WR3 in Arizona. He's not even the #2.

FLoyd is the WR1 in Arizona NOW. Fitzgerald is still very valuable in PPR fantasy, but no longer a team #1. He's a high volume slot guy and chain mover. Floyd is a borderline top 10 guy IMO.

Hopefully he starts commanding more respect in rankings now. Tired of seeing him ranked as a low end wr3/wr4
I'll tell you what, this is why this board is so freaking good! I'm really really bummed I didn't pull the trigger (but I am loaded with ODB, Jeffrey, sanders, Baldwin and even Tate for cryin out load).

But you're right man. I looked over multiple ranking sheets including MFG and not one had him as a better play than the aforementioned options.

Also, that's only the second time I think I've watched an entire Arizona game. There is no doubt, he really is the 1. He gets all the routes that Fitz and brown get combined.

And here I thought he was just a a deep threat only.

Watching him play last night, he is really good
The most impressive part of his game this year has been his hands. He's made some impressive catches this year. Even just in this game, the catch at 0:10 is of course very noteworthy, but I really liked the one at 1:08. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000598895/Michael-Floyd-highlights

First of all, let me preface this by saying my prediction in the "bold predictions" thread (before I realized how slow they'd bring Floyd on after the dislocated fingers) was that Floyd would lead the team in yards and TDs, during the peak of the John Brown hype. So I'm obviously a believer. However, I understand how people label Floyd the third option... snaps. For whatever reason, he's still getting less snaps than the other guys. He's getting targets and making plays when he's in the game, but his snap count has been disappointing. I don't understand why he hasn't been in the game more. I was encouraged when Arians made the comment about John Brown stealing Floyd's job while he was injured but that Floyd stole it back while Brown was injured... but then Floyd got injured and things reverted. Here's their snap breakdown:

WK LF JB MF

01 58 60 09

02 57 50 30

03 64 52 31

04 70 68 52

05 35 26 32

06 67 65 54

07 59 51 41

08 77 00 67

10 82 59 62

11 59 53 00

12 73 66 51

13 72 65 52

He's only outsnapped Brown twice while they were both playing and never outsnapped Fitzgerald. I was out last night so I only casually watched the game, but it seemed to me, when I got a chance to spot check, that Brown was in the game on 2 WR sets once again. Hopefully I just caught glimpses at the wrong time, though. But since he seems to be 3rd on the depth chart, I can see why people aren't as high on him as us. But luckily he appears to be Palmer's favorite target of late. He's led the team in targets two weeks in a row. Since week 6, he's been getting a target about every 7 snaps, so if they'd ever bump him up the depth chart again, he'd probably get another 2 targets per game.

Cardinals | Michael Floyd earning trust (Thu Dec 17, 09:47 PM) - Arizona Cardinals WR Michael Floyd is coming down with more '50-50' balls than in previous seasons, according to head coach Bruce Arians, and QB Carson Palmer said he is more willing to take chances to Floyd.

Our View: Floyd has been producing, even though fellow Cardinals receiver essentially called him lazy in an interview this week. He's not polished, which you see in his route running, but he keeps getting the job done. He will again this week against the Eagles, and is a good WR2 start this week.
Wtf is Joe talking about? I can't find any reference to this, but if Joe is aware of it, why didn't it make it into the daily e-mail when it happened?

Cardinals | Michael Floyd earning trust (Thu Dec 17, 09:47 PM) - Arizona Cardinals WR Michael Floyd is coming down with more '50-50' balls than in previous seasons, according to head coach Bruce Arians, and QB Carson Palmer said he is more willing to take chances to Floyd.

Our View: Floyd has been producing, even though fellow Cardinals receiver essentially called him lazy in an interview this week. He's not polished, which you see in his route running, but he keeps getting the job done. He will again this week against the Eagles, and is a good WR2 start this week.
Wtf is Joe talking about? I can't find any reference to this, but if Joe is aware of it, why didn't it make it into the daily e-mail when it happened?
Not sure what they are talking about. He did wrong the wrong route on his 42 yard TD (he was filling in for John Brown, who was hurt at the time, and didn't know his assignment.)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/191511/why-larry-fitzgerald-michael-floyd-ran-same-route-on-td

Cardinals | Michael Floyd earning trust (Thu Dec 17, 09:47 PM) - Arizona Cardinals WR Michael Floyd is coming down with more '50-50' balls than in previous seasons, according to head coach Bruce Arians, and QB Carson Palmer said he is more willing to take chances to Floyd.Our View: Floyd has been producing, even though fellow Cardinals receiver essentially called him lazy in an interview this week. He's not polished, which you see in his route running, but he keeps getting the job done. He will again this week against the Eagles, and is a good WR2 start this week.
I'll tell you what's lazy...THIS ANALYSIS lol

How can you have anything negative to say about a dude who has been putting up 100 yard games with ease when healthy and is the apple of his qb's eye and his qb is talking about how much he trusts him now? And Floyd constantly makes contested catches and highlight reel diving grabs.

Ridiculous. Lol

rickyg said:
FF Ninja said:
Cardinals | Michael Floyd earning trust (Thu Dec 17, 09:47 PM) - Arizona Cardinals WR Michael Floyd is coming down with more '50-50' balls than in previous seasons, according to head coach Bruce Arians, and QB Carson Palmer said he is more willing to take chances to Floyd.Our View: Floyd has been producing, even though fellow Cardinals receiver essentially called him lazy in an interview this week. He's not polished, which you see in his route running, but he keeps getting the job done. He will again this week against the Eagles, and is a good WR2 start this week.
I'll tell you what's lazy...THIS ANALYSIS lol

How can you have anything negative to say about a dude who has been putting up 100 yard games with ease when healthy and is the apple of his qb's eye and his qb is talking about how much he trusts him now? And Floyd constantly makes contested catches and highlight reel diving grabs.

Ridiculous. Lol
As a Floyd owner I have also read this and it made me question Floyd a tad, like, 'is he lazy, does he run lazy routes, is he perceived as being lazy in practice?' Idk

He does have tremendous talent and is extremely underrated and undervalued. You'd think he was a WR 4 or 5 by how the sites rate him. When healthy he performs like a WR 2 with upside. What gives? He starts for my team this week in many formats.

doesnt floyd typically lineup at right WR spot with john brown at the left spot and fitz in the slot? Norman pretty much stays on the left side of the defense so for those considering floyd this week doesnt that make him a not desirable start and perhaps this is a decent john brown game going aginst the weaker cb's on the other side of the field?

doesnt floyd typically lineup at right WR spot with john brown at the left spot and fitz in the slot? Norman pretty much stays on the left side of the defense so for those considering floyd this week doesnt that make him a not desirable start and perhaps this is a decent john brown game going aginst the weaker cb's on the other side of the field?
I was wondering this same thing while making a few daily lineups this week. I know that in 2 WR sets, which is rare, I have seen Brown line up on right side.

Does Norman always stay on left side? Do they ever use him as a shutdown corner, following the best receiver?

Anyone know if Patrick Peterson is used as a shadow corner or if he stays to a certain side always?

I was wondering this same thing while making a few daily lineups this week. I know that in 2 WR sets, which is rare, I have seen Brown line up on right side.

Does Norman always stay on left side? Do they ever use him as a shutdown corner, following the best receiver?

Anyone know if Patrick Peterson is used as a shadow corner or if he stays to a certain side always?
Peterson covers anyone, anywhere. He is usually on the best WR for the opposing team. There is talk of him hanging with Greg Olson this game.

Peterson covers anyone, anywhere. He is usually on the best WR for the opposing team. There is talk of him hanging with Greg Olson this game.
that would be interesting if perterson covers olsen but it seems unlikely, olsen lines up tight most of the time right?

that would be interesting if perterson covers olsen but it seems unlikely, olsen lines up tight most of the time right?
He does. But that's the rumors floating around out here right now.

I've been banging the drum for Floyd pretty hard this offseason, and with brown missing time and fitz nicked up I'll start hitting the gong too. If brown continues to miss time into the season and Floyd becomes the primary downfield target (we know how Arians loves to throw the deep ball) he could really be a value. 

Michael Floyd seems to be getting no respect in the Shark Pool. I have him in the 16-18 range with Randall Cobb, Demarius Thomas, and TY Hilton.  I think he's going to emerge as the clear number one in the high powered Cardinals offense. It's crazy how little we're hearing about him.

Michael Floyd seems to be getting no respect in the Shark Pool. I have him in the 16-18 range with Randall Cobb, Demarius Thomas, and TY Hilton.  I think he's going to emerge as the clear number one in the high powered Cardinals offense. It's crazy how little we're hearing about him.
Nice post, fully agree. I took him at the 6/7 turn in my local, had already drafted AB, Evans and K.Benjamin and was shocked to see him still sitting there, WR #27 in that league which I consider ridiculous value. Taken a full 3 rounds after some players like Maclin and Baldwin who I think he is at least on par with. For some reason and despite playing for one of the better offenses, he just gets little respect in FF.

I'm with you guys on this one for sure.  I think he's a big value in the 5th. 
I had planned to take him at the 4/5 turn in my local to supplement AB and Evans, decided to take Benjamin instead and forgot about him. Lo and behold, end of the 6th he's still sitting there. Am I missing something or overrating him or are people just blind to his talent and situation?

I had planned to take him at the 4/5 turn in my local to supplement AB and Evans, decided to take Benjamin instead and forgot about him. Lo and behold, end of the 6th he's still sitting there. Am I missing something or overrating him or are people just blind to his talent and situation?
He's ranked very lowly around this place.  Not sure why.

He's a nice value play at this point with where he is being taken.

It's just really hard to predict how the WR distribution will turn out this year in AZ. Fitz caught 109 balls last year, and John Brown had 1000 yards receiving. And, with David Johnson potentially being the 3-down workhorse, there is talk they will throw to the backs more this year too. In my local AZ league, Fitz and Floyd went at 6.11 and 6.12, and Brown went at 8.06. There's just no telling what's going to happen there and chances are that all three will put up good but not great numbers.

I bought everywhere I could this offseason for surprisingly reasonable prices (some downright cheap).  I love this guy... especially at his value. 

In the last 8 games of 2015 Floyd posted 36 catches for 636 yards and 4 TDs.  That, in a vacuum, doesn't *sound* so impressive, until you realize in week 17 the Cardinals just completely rolled over in Seattle with nothing to play for.  Floyd had 1-16 in that game.  So in the second half, excluding the game Arizona didn't care to play, Floyd posted 35 catches for 620 yards and 4 TDs in 7 games.  There are all sorts of dangers with pro-rating stats and such, but that's an 80-1400-9 pace.  He held that pace for 7 games, basically half a season, with a healthy Brown and a healthy Fitz right during Johnson's explosion of a second half.

Now Brown's melon is all scrambled and Fitz is another year older.  Floyd's the number 1 guy in an offense that chucks it all over the place.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him finish as a WR1, and I'm expecting strong WR2 numbers for him.

If you don't blow up by year 3, most folks banish you. Floyd is a perfect example of that sentiment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Most leagues I've been drafting in lately he doesn't make it out of the middle of the 4th round.
I took him in the late 4th in a ffpc draft last night, he was the 26th WR off the board. Decker went right before me and Baldwin, Lockett, J. Matthews and Fitz after.

I've been avoiding all Cardinals WRs in most drafts at their current ADPs...you just cant trust any of them.

I took him in the late 4th in a ffpc draft last night, he was the 26th WR off the board. Decker went right before me and Baldwin, Lockett, J. Matthews and Fitz after.
Yeah, actually it was a fo0otguys $350 league & a FFPC main event.   Went early 4th in both.  He saved my season in multiple leagues last year so I probably have him too high. 

Think he will have a big season. Once he was fully healthy last year, he put up some very good numbers. I sadly missed out on him in my first draft of this year, but will be targeting him in the two I have left. 

One big concern is that the pie is probably going to be smaller in Arizona this year than it was last year. Palmer had a career year at age 35-36. He is unlikely to repeat the performance at age 36-37, and there is a decent chance of a large dropoff. So we should expect there will be a smaller pie, split 3 ways.

I bought everywhere I could this offseason for surprisingly reasonable prices (some downright cheap).  I love this guy... especially at his value. 

In the last 8 games of 2015 Floyd posted 36 catches for 636 yards and 4 TDs.  That, in a vacuum, doesn't *sound* so impressive, until you realize in week 17 the Cardinals just completely rolled over in Seattle with nothing to play for.  Floyd had 1-16 in that game.  So in the second half, excluding the game Arizona didn't care to play, Floyd posted 35 catches for 620 yards and 4 TDs in 7 games.  There are all sorts of dangers with pro-rating stats and such, but that's an 80-1400-9 pace.  He held that pace for 7 games, basically half a season, with a healthy Brown and a healthy Fitz right during Johnson's explosion of a second half.

Now Brown's melon is all scrambled and Fitz is another year older.  Floyd's the number 1 guy in an offense that chucks it all over the place.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him finish as a WR1, and I'm expecting strong WR2 numbers for him.
I'm hesitant about reading too much into a 7-game stretch out of a 4-year career, especially when those 7 games were in the middle of a season. The reason to start with week 8 is not because we have any outside information about that being the first time that Floyd was truly healthy, it was because that was the first game where he put up big numbers. And after Floyd's big week 16 game where this 7-game stretch ends, he played another 2.5 games with Palmer & the first team offense (the first half against Seattle where they got stomped and then two playoff games).

If we do decide to throw out the first 7 of the Cardinals' 18 games because we think that Floyd might not have been healthy then, that still leaves 11 games. Brown missed 1 of those 11 games (week 8) and Floyd missed one of them (week 11), which leaves 9 games which Floyd, Brown, and Fitzgerald all played. (That includes week 17 against Seattle and playoff games against tougher-than-usual opponents, but those situations should affect the 3 WRs equally.) Over those 9 games, Floyd had 34% of the receiving yards and 35% of the receiving fantasy points (PPR) that those 3 totaled - just slightly more than a third. Fitz led the way with 36% of the yards and 39% of the fpts, and Brown brought up the rear with 29% of the yards and 26% of the fpts. That's one way to take a first stab at guessing how the pie will be divided this year.

One big concern is that the pie is probably going to be smaller in Arizona this year than it was last year. Palmer had a career year at age 35-36. He is unlikely to repeat the performance at age 36-37, and there is a decent chance of a large dropoff. So we should expect there will be a smaller pie, split 3 ways.

I'm hesitant about reading too much into a 7-game stretch out of a 4-year career, especially when those 7 games were in the middle of a season. The reason to start with week 8 is not because we have any outside information about that being the first time that Floyd was truly healthy, it was because that was the first game where he put up big numbers. And after Floyd's big week 16 game where this 7-game stretch ends, he played another 2.5 games with Palmer & the first team offense (the first half against Seattle where they got stomped and then two playoff games).

If we do decide to throw out the first 7 of the Cardinals' 18 games because we think that Floyd might not have been healthy then, that still leaves 11 games. Brown missed 1 of those 11 games (week 8) and Floyd missed one of them (week 11), which leaves 9 games which Floyd, Brown, and Fitzgerald all played. (That includes week 17 against Seattle and playoff games against tougher-than-usual opponents, but those situations should affect the 3 WRs equally.) Over those 9 games, Floyd had 34% of the receiving yards and 35% of the receiving fantasy points (PPR) that those 3 totaled - just slightly more than a third. Fitz led the way with 36% of the yards and 39% of the fpts, and Brown brought up the rear with 29% of the yards and 26% of the fpts. That's one way to take a first stab at guessing how the pie will be divided this year.

Why be hesitant?  FLoyd is a supreme talent.  A great mix of size, speed, and athleticism.  He's not lights out fast, but he can get downfield and make big plays.  He was a 1st rd draft pick and heir apparent to fitzgerald.  The cards passing game essentially SUCKED for the first few years after warner left town.  Last year was the first year where palmer really turned it on and once floyd got healthy he was the biggest beneficiary.  Fitz is still there but he's past his prime.  Brown is basically a deep threat.  Floyd is their big #1 WR and leads them in targets when healthy.  Health has been a big thing with him.  He's healthy rt now and I believe in a contract year.  Dude is HIGHLY motivated right now.  

Barring injury I believe he's a top 15 WR if not top 10 this year.  Book it.  

Why be hesitant?  FLoyd is a supreme talent.  A great mix of size, speed, and athleticism.  He's not lights out fast, but he can get downfield and make big plays.  He was a 1st rd draft pick and heir apparent to fitzgerald.  The cards passing game essentially SUCKED for the first few years after warner left town.  Last year was the first year where palmer really turned it on and once floyd got healthy he was the biggest beneficiary.  Fitz is still there but he's past his prime.  Brown is basically a deep threat.  Floyd is their big #1 WR and leads them in targets when healthy.  Health has been a big thing with him.  He's healthy rt now and I believe in a contract year.  Dude is HIGHLY motivated right now.  

Barring injury I believe he's a top 15 WR if not top 10 this year.  Book it.  
There have been plenty of promising first round WRs who turned out to only be pretty good rather than elite. Floyd has now been in the league 4 years and he's played 39 games with Palmer. Some Floyd fans are choosing to focus on only 7 out of those 39 games. (Also, Fitz had more targets & receptions than Floyd even during that 7-game stretch.)

Users who are viewing this thread