What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Michael Floyd underrated? (3 Viewers)

Even a broken clock is right twice a day?
Wonder if there may actually be some value here down the stretch.  Arians says he wants Floyd more involved down the stretch.  JJ Nelson seems best suited as a situational player.  Fitz is apparently getting an MRI on his knee.  I know Floyd got dinged himself late in the game as well.

I got Floyd as a throw in in a trade and after yesterday he might just be my WR3. :bag:

I've got a pretty high bid on him for this week, but only because I drafted him early and don't want to see him shine on someone else's team.  Kinda stupid I know.  Any others reaching for this guy?

Wonder if there may actually be some value here down the stretch.  Arians says he wants Floyd more involved down the stretch.  JJ Nelson seems best suited as a situational player.  Fitz is apparently getting an MRI on his knee.  I know Floyd got dinged himself late in the game as well.

I got Floyd as a throw in in a trade and after yesterday he might just be my WR3. :bag:
hasn't been announced yet but I would bet that Floyd starts opposite Fitz this week in Minnesota (assuming he is healthy) - made some very good catchers Sunday against SF

Not ready to give up yet myself, still holding like earlier poster based on last year's 2nd half.  No real basis, but hope from last game for sure.

On local radio this week Carson said that Floyd was going to be heavily involved the rest of the way and that he has lots of confidence in him.

Not sure I buy it, but just passing it along.

Michael Floyd may be under-rated . . . in celebrity dead pools:

Michael Floyd was arrested on drunk driving charges early Monday morning.
A drunk Floyd was "found unconscious at the wheel" at 2:48AM in Scottsdale, Ariz. He's been charged with two counts of DUI, and one count "of obstructing a roadway and failure to obey a police officer." It's Floyd's second drunk driving arrest after he was popped at Notre Dame in 2011. The arrest comes at a low ebb for Floyd's play. It's possible he's facing a team-imposed suspension for Week 15, but that's pure speculation. An impending free agent, Floyd has put on a clinic in how not to get paid this season.

Source: ArizonaSports.com
Dec 12 - 1:07 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6759/michael-floyd

An impending free agent, Floyd has put on a clinic in how not to get paid this season.
Man, between this and the Jeff Fisher news, Rotoworld has been salty today. I love it.

The Eagles may be the most WR-needy team in the league and I still hope they refuse to touch this guy in the offseason. It wouldn't completely surprise me to see him bounce back to relevance on a new team but I'm more comfortable taking the other side of that bet at this point.

Should we start a new thread for who the benefactor is in the ARZ offense?  Does it matter since he wasn't doing much?

Just more to Fitzgerald and DJohnson?

JJ Nelson?

Michael Floyd may be under-rated . . . in celebrity dead pools:

Michael Floyd was arrested on drunk driving charges early Monday morning.
A drunk Floyd was "found unconscious at the wheel" at 2:48AM in Scottsdale, Ariz. He's been charged with two counts of DUI, and one count "of obstructing a roadway and failure to obey a police officer." It's Floyd's second drunk driving arrest after he was popped at Notre Dame in 2011. The arrest comes at a low ebb for Floyd's play. It's possible he's facing a team-imposed suspension for Week 15, but that's pure speculation. An impending free agent, Floyd has put on a clinic in how not to get paid this season.

Source: ArizonaSports.com
Dec 12 - 1:07 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6759/michael-floyd

So unfair.  How can he obey the police officer if he is unconscious.  

Looks like he is opting for the Justin Blackmon career path.   I'll have to see if I can convince my league to add point per gallon pumped to our scoring system.

Should we start a new thread for who the benefactor is in the ARZ offense? Does it matter since he wasn't doing much?

Just more to Fitzgerald and DJohnson?

JJ Nelson?
Haha, it's Gresham.

W10

W11

W12

W13

W14

Brown

Floyd

Fitz

Nelson

Gresham

I've been banging this drum for a month now, Gresham is a low-end TE1 in PPR leagues. 

Best news I've heard about him all year.  Other than that dui he's been a good citizen.  Good teammate.  He needs a fresh start on a team that needs him.  Hope he lands in a good spot with a good up and coming qb.  He can easily be a #1 wr on another team.    He has shown spurts of greatness already in his career.  

Best news I've heard about him all year.  Other than that dui he's been a good citizen.  Good teammate.  He needs a fresh start on a team that needs him.  Hope he lands in a good spot with a good up and coming qb.  He can easily be a #1 wr on another team.    He has shown spurts of greatness already in his career.  
I sure hope the Eagles feel that way about him

i tried to get him in dynasty this past offseason, but one guy valued him like Watkins... FA next year, should have been motivated, Palmer coming off a good year. Had Floyd in a couple redrafts, but cut him quickly.

I was sooooo wrong about him and ARI this year. Hope he gets the help he needs.

Not a chance. 

Yeah I would've agreed with you last offseason but at some point you have to accept reality. I mean maybe I'd take a flier on him next year but no way could he be a no 1.

Once again, contrary to what we keep being told by some here, draft pedigree and combine numbers are not this great indicator of success in the NFL - or at least from a probability standpoint, you could do just as well calling a future hit or miss on a coin flip (first round picks living up to their draft slot at best about 50% of the time).

And I doubt the recent DUI tells the entire story as I  would expect some details to emerge from anonymous sources within the team in the coming days. As Adam Schefter noted on Twitter: "WR Michael Floyd was scheduled to become a free agent after season. Now cut, weeks before that happens. Troubling situation."

Here is Ian Rapoport's full comments on Facebook from his conversation with Cards owner Michael Bidwell:

https://www.facebook.com/rapsheetnfl/posts/1239319139467996

Ian Rapoport 18 mins ·

Cardinals owner and president Michael Bidwill, talking to me about the team’s release of Michael Floyd on Wednesday:

“There were a lot of factors, but it was a difficult decision for sure. And when you look at standards and expectations, the message is there. We have standards and expectations. Again it was a difficult decision, but we're moving on.”

It was a decision made by consensus?

"Yes, across the board."

Was it a statement?

“There were a lot of factors to it and I think it was just time for us to move forward. Deeply disappointed it didn't work out. He was a 2012 first-round draft choice for us, a person we thought would eventually take Larry Fitzgerald's position and be the No. 1 receiver for the future. Deeply disappointing that we moved on and he didn't work out as a person we had a lot of faith in.”

Last edited by a moderator:
This says even more than most people think about how badly the Cardinals wanted this guy out of their locker room.

Think about it: with just a few weeks to go until he was no longer their problem, they cut him and potentially threw away the compensatory draft pick they'd have been due if another team gave him a decent contract in FA. 

They only get that comp pick if they lose more than they spend, and he wasn't going to get a big contract to garner much of a comp anyway.  I don't know their cap or roster well, but being in a "win-now" window with Palmer and Fitzgerald aging out, I would expect they be aggressive in filling holes in FA.  I think they decided long ago they weren't extending him so this is an easy out.

This says even more than most people think about how badly the Cardinals wanted this guy out of their locker room.

Think about it: with just a few weeks to go until he was no longer their problem, they cut him and potentially threw away the compensatory draft pick they'd have been due if another team gave him a decent contract in FA. 
If someone picks him up for the rest of the year, the Cards save 1.2m in salary this year. So there is some good reason to cut him now.

Once again, contrary to what we keep being told by some here, draft pedigree and combine numbers are not this great indicator of success in the NFL - or at least from a probability standpoint, you could do just as well calling a future hit or miss on a coin flip (first round picks living up to their draft slot at best about 50% of the time).
I don't really have a strong stance on the draft pedigree thing, probably falling somewhere in the middle. But are you implying Floyd isn't any good? I know he hasn't broken out like would be expected from a 1st round pick, but there have been some unfortunate circumstances surrounding his career. I know people will just say excuses, excuses, but I try to keep an open mind. Sometimes a change of scenery is all someone with talent needs to get it together. Not saying that's the case here, but looking at his career, this is the only year that really looks odd:

Rookie year - not a lot of playing time or targets, which is fine. 2nd year - nice little breakout on 111 targets. 3rd year - total QB debacle in Arizona. 4th year - nasty preseason finger dislocation sets him back, John Brown shines in his absence and steals his job, plays limited snaps to begin the season. Also has hamstring injury in which he misses a game and plays limited snaps in others. Taking those things into context, a decent year (five 100 yard games). 5th year - Palmer had a bad year and so did Floyd. Down year or beginning of the end?

I could easily see him pulling a Crabtree. Signing a 1 year "prove it" contract and getting it done. Crabtree's first six years were quite possibly more disappointing that Floyd's first five. Floyd will be about the same age Crabtree was when he signed with Oakland (Floyd a few months younger).

I'm not saying I'm all in on him or to bank on a turnaround next year, but he's not some untalented/overrated hack who didn't belong in the first round. 

P.S. I think I recall reading that draft pedigree and college performance was pretty strongly correlated to NFL performance for WRs, but combine numbers had the smallest correlation for WRs out of all the positions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really have a strong stance on the draft pedigree thing, probably falling somewhere in the middle. But are you implying Floyd isn't any good? I know he hasn't broken out like would be expected from a 1st round pick, but there have been some unfortunate circumstances surrounding his career. I know people will just say excuses, excuses, but I try to keep an open mind. Sometimes a change of scenery is all someone with talent needs to get it together. Not saying that's the case here, but looking at his career, this is the only year that really looks odd:

Rookie year - not a lot of playing time or targets, which is fine. 2nd year - nice little breakout on 111 targets. 3rd year - total QB debacle in Arizona. 4th year - nasty preseason finger dislocation sets him back, John Brown shines in his absence and steals his job, plays limited snaps to begin the season. Also has hamstring injury in which he misses a game and plays limited snaps in others. Taking those things into context, a decent year (five 100 yard games). 5th year - Palmer had a bad year and so did Floyd. Down year or beginning of the end?

I could easily see him pulling a Crabtree. Signing a 1 year "prove it" contract and getting it done. Crabtree's first six years were quite possibly more disappointing that Floyd's first five. Floyd will be about the same age Crabtree was when he signed with Oakland (Floyd a few months younger).

I'm not saying I'm all in on him or to bank on a turnaround next year, but he's not some untalented/overrated hack who didn't belong in the first round. 

P.S. I think I recall reading that draft pedigree and college performance was pretty strongly correlated to NFL performance for WRs, but combine numbers had the smallest correlation for WRs out of all the positions. 
Crabtree's qb situation was worse. 

Plus it sounds like Floyd has an alcohol problem and is not in great shape.

Draft pedigree is a great indicator of success in the NFL; almost certainly the best one we have. First-round picks succeeding 50% of the time isn't a coin flip unless second-round and seventh-round picks also succeed 50% of the time.

Being picked in the first round isn't a guarantee; there's a lot of uncertainty in football. But it's a pretty strong indicator that the player is better than hundreds of others in the draft pool. Draft order is, after all, determined by professionals whose only job is to figure out which players are better.

If someone invites you to play Russian Roulette and you get to choose whether the gun starts with three bullets or one, I don't think you'd call that a coin flip.

As to the title : Turns out that the answer is no...Jeeeeeez who knew? 

Maybe Ariz. I think they knew. He just fell off the gameplan and team as well....

Draft pedigree is a great indicator of success in the NFL; almost certainly the best one we have. First-round picks succeeding 50% of the time isn't a coin flip unless second-round and seventh-round picks also succeed 50% of the time.

Being picked in the first round isn't a guarantee; there's a lot of uncertainty in football. But it's a pretty strong indicator that the player is better than hundreds of others in the draft pool. Draft order is, after all, determined by professionals whose only job is to figure out which players are better.

If someone invites you to play Russian Roulette and you get to choose whether the gun starts with three bullets or one, I don't think you'd call that a coin flip.
Being the best indicator doesn't mean it is still not a dicey indicator. The stats confirm it in my mind. But I have had this argument numerous times in this forum over the years with people who swear by the draft pedigree/combine numbers model, which I consider junk science. But that is just my opinion and we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Anyway, check out the actual numbers and look at drafts after 5 years. About 50% of first rounder pick succeed, at best, and there is a significant drop off percentage wise in each round after that. So, for the first round that is a coin flip. And Bloom had a posting in a thread some years back (which I can't find) pointing out that the professionals whose only job it its to scout the best players have a terrible batting average.

From an April PFT piece by Mike Florio:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/22/the-first-round-of-the-draft-remains-a-total-crapshoot/

The First Round of the draft remains a total crapshoot

During Friday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio, I asked Falcons G.M. Thomas Dimitroff whether the success rate at picking quarterbacks at the top of the draft. Dimitroff offered a more general observation that underscores the uncertainty of the first round, at any position.

“That’s always an interesting discussion and we talk about it all the time,” Dimitroff said. “What’s funny is we talk about that with quarterbacks but then when we start looking at positions that we’re interested in. We can look at interior D-lineman over the years or [pass] rushers or whoever they may be, and we all want to come up with this stat that says, ‘Wow, this is an easy pick.’ It’s not an easy pick in the first round.”

It’s not easy because it remains, at best, a flip-of-the-coin proposition.

“According to our most recent statistics that we drew on the first round, it’s less than 60 percent of those players that are starting,” Dimitroff said. “I think it may have come in at 56 percent. So point being it’s not an exact science, we know that. There are so many other things that are involved in it. The first step is finding out whether that player has the adept skills on the field, of course. Many other areas that we’re looking into to make sure they’re fits in the organization. [Do] they have the mental capacity, they have the character capacity, and the team element that a team is looking for? Again, you’d better have a plan for the guys who are a little bit wayward in their approach. That’s alway been a big discussion point as well.”

The pats just hit gold.   He is immediately going to be their best outside big bodied wr (minus when he will serve suspension).  Just like belicheck to take a talented cast off and turn him into gold.   

The pats just hit gold.   He is immediately going to be their best outside big bodied wr (minus when he will serve suspension).  Just like belicheck to take a talented cast off and turn him into gold.   
So he's just going to get thrown in as a stater right away and know their offense?

Users who are viewing this thread