What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Michael Floyd underrated? (1 Viewer)

FWIW, I think he's more interesting in dynasty leagues.

Regarding the OL, I'd point out that bad QB play can go a long way towards making an average line look terrible.

I remember watching Kolb play last year. He would drop back and hold the ball forever. No internal clock. When you play like that, you're going to take a lot of sacks.

Palmer, the upgraded running game, and the new draft picks at OL can turn this into a pretty decent offense immediately.

I see Floyd/Fitz/Roberts success all tied to how well Palmer does. Palmer is an upgrade and they are trying to improve the OLine. Looking at Palmer's stats when playing in the AFC West w/out adjusting them down for the NFC West defenses will give you potentially a more favorable view than reality.

I think looking at the schedule Palmer's success is going to start early this year. Over the first 5 games they have very favorable matchups in Det, NO, and Car though potentially tuff games in StL(2nd in sacks) and TB whose secondary has been upgraded w/Revis and arguably the best safety in the league Goldson. The middle of the season(weeks 6-10) they will face Sea, SF, Atl, Hou followed up with 3 very FFL friendly games in Jax, Indy, Phi. For the playoffs(weeks14-16) if Palmer has survived the middle stretch you will see StL, Ten, Sea and fortunately after FFL playoffs in week 17 SF.

Considering Arians likes to throw down the field which I translate into letting the routes develop means Palmer possibly could be hit as much as Luck was last year. Palmer's experience though may have him throwing it away than taking the hits. I see alot of good things going on in AZ but feel most of that will be for dynasty drafting and a late round flyer on Floyd/Roberts in this years redraft leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Breaking Out In 2013Darren Urban

azcardinals.com

Excerpt:

WR MICHAEL FLOYD

If Housler is the most obvious possibility for breakout player, maybe that’s because Floyd is veering on to being a given. Last year’s No. 1 draft pick looked better at the end of last season but more importantly clearly had a better handle on himself and his role this offseason – even with a brand-new offense. Floyd has been an important target during OTAs and minicamp and there is little question the coaches are prepping him to take on a large load. Larry Fitzgerald isn’t going anywhere, but with Palmer behind center and Fitz drawing the defense, Floyd has the potential to have a pretty big season under Arians’ offensive scheme.

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd is listed as a starter ahead of Andre Roberts on the Cardinals' initial depth chart.
As expected. Floyd ran ahead of Roberts throughout the offseason and has carried that momentum into training camp. At 6'3/220 with better long speed, Floyd is an ideal fit for the No. 2 spot in Bruce Arians' vertical passing offense. Roberts will slide in as the No. 3 man, spending most of his time in the slot. Floyd remains one of our favorite breakout candidates in all of football.

Related: Andre Roberts

Source: Arizona Republic

Another indicator on Cards' Michael Floyd

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts combined to catch four passes for 77 yards and a touchdown during limited action in the Arizona Cardinals' exhibition opener at Green Bay. It was an encouraging start for the Cardinals' receivers in their first game with new quarterback Carson Palmer.

Of particular interest: where Floyd fits into the equation entering his second season. The scouting reports on Floyd, chosen 13th overall in the 2012 draft, applauded him for handling with maturity a series of alcohol-related incidents earlier in his career. Floyd caught 45 passes last season, the fifth-highest total for a rookie wide receiver. He ranked fourth within that group in routes run and seventh in offensive snaps played, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

"He gets it, he understands it," Palmer said earlier in camp. "He has had a natural feel for getting open in zones, which is something you're not taught. You just sit there and watch film with a guy forever and you either have it or it's something that takes years to develop. Phenomenal player."

Palmer, addressing reporters Monday, affirmed what the scouting reports said of Floyd, who turned 23 in November.

"He is still young -- that is what you don't realize about Mike because he is very mature for his age," Palmer said. "He seems like he is in Year 4 or 5 instead of going into Year 2, and he didn't play a whole bunch in Year 1. He is still working, he is learning from one of the best [Fitzgerald] and we expect Mike to have a big year."

There's been a lot of twitter talk about Floyd's dynasty value as of late, and the hype is officially through the roof - we're talking pretty smart FF guys saying he's a top-10 dynasty WR... and I can't say they're wrong.

I'm a Floyd owner, and I have a hard time picking 10 WRs I'd deal him for straight up.

Rotoworld:

Coach Bruce Arians said Michael Floyd "has improved dramatically from the first minicamp to now."
Floyd has just two catches for 20 yards through 36 preseason snaps, but he's been raising eyebrows in practice as the unquestioned No. 2 wideout. "Route running, his understanding of concepts, hot (reads), the whole package," Arians said. "He's bought in. He's playing two to three different positions. I'm really pleased with where he's at right now." A physically imposing wideout in Arians' passing-friendly scheme, Floyd remains on track for a breakout season.

Source: arizonasports.com

I love this time of year. Everyone's getting race reviews and primed for a breakout. Ever get a story thus time about a guy getting worse?
Actually , you do hear plenty of stories of guys not getting it or struggling with this or that. Here's a guy who was highly drafted but came out of the gates slowly for whatever reason(s). Fast forward a year later and the positive stories about his potential and development are noteworthy. I particularly liked hearing about him attending Fitz' workout camp this past off-season.

I love this time of year. Everyone's getting race reviews and primed for a breakout. Ever get a story thus time about a guy getting worse?
Actually , you do hear plenty of stories of guys not getting it or struggling with this or that. Here's a guy who was highly drafted but came out of the gates slowly for whatever reason(s). Fast forward a year later and the positive stories about his potential and development are noteworthy. I particularly liked hearing about him attending Fitz' workout camp this past off-season.
Yet Roberts is getting more of Palmer's targets than Floyd. I wish I could pick which guy was going to be Palmer's #2 guy. There will be value. I just feel like it is 50/50 here, if not in favor of Roberts.

I see Floyd/Fitz/Roberts success all tied to how well Palmer does. Palmer is an upgrade and they are trying to improve the OLine. Looking at Palmer's stats when playing in the AFC West w/out adjusting them down for the NFC West defenses will give you potentially a more favorable view than reality.

I think looking at the schedule Palmer's success is going to start early this year. Over the first 5 games they have very favorable matchups in Det, NO, and Car though potentially tuff games in StL(2nd in sacks) and TB whose secondary has been upgraded w/Revis and arguably the best safety in the league Goldson. The middle of the season(weeks 6-10) they will face Sea, SF, Atl, Hou followed up with 3 very FFL friendly games in Jax, Indy, Phi. For the playoffs(weeks14-16) if Palmer has survived the middle stretch you will see StL, Ten, Sea and fortunately after FFL playoffs in week 17 SF.
Just want to point out that Atlanta looks to have a mediocre defense at best. Not much to get excited about on that side of the ball. They jettisoned their top 2 corners and now have rookies manning those positions, Fitz is going to eat them alive and Floyd will likely be able to do the same.

Plus Atl will likely put a lot of teams in position to have to pass a ton just to keep up with their pinball offense (providing the weak o-line doesn't get Ryan killed).

Yet Roberts is getting more of Palmer's targets than Floyd. I wish I could pick which guy was going to be Palmer's #2 guy. There will be value. I just feel like it is 50/50 here, if not in favor of Roberts.
This is my thinking as well. In my redraft league I got both of them. I figure one of the two will be useful. Which one? Not sure.

Floyd might be the "starter" ahead of Roberts. I'd bet on AZ going with a lot of 3 WR sets though.

Floyd is bigger, stronger and faster - and simply more talented. Don't get me wrong, Roberts has talent, but if proverbial light came on for Floyd, with his talent Roberts might be distant 3rd in numbers come the end of the season.

Floyd is bigger, stronger and faster - and simply more talented. Don't get me wrong, Roberts has talent, but if proverbial light came on for Floyd, with his talent Roberts might be distant 3rd in numbers come the end of the season.
Bigger - yes

Stronger - push

Faster - no

At least according to the combine

Hard to say. Floyd is certainly bigger and taller, but no more explosive and probably not as fluid/agile. Roberts ran a very good three cone time at the combine and is an experienced kickoff/punt returner. He's a more precise route runner and more gifted in space. The only thing he really lacks from an athletic standpoint is height. There have been some pretty good NFL WRs in recent years who have a similar skill set (Derrick Mason, Antonio Brown, Lance Moore). That's the kind of outcome you're hoping for if you take a chance on Roberts.

There's been a lot of twitter talk about Floyd's dynasty value as of late, and the hype is officially through the roof - we're talking pretty smart FF guys saying he's a top-10 dynasty WR... and I can't say they're wrong.

I'm a Floyd owner, and I have a hard time picking 10 WRs I'd deal him for straight up.
Really? I like Floyd and all, but c'mon. That's a bit much:

1. Calvin

2. Green

3. Julio

4. Dez

5. Marshall

6. D. Thomas

7. Cruz

8. Cobb

9. Fitz

10. V. Jackson

11. Colston

12. Jordy

13. ...

These are just off the top of my head. I'd rank him around WR 40 or so in dynasty. He really hasn't done a darn thing yet, and Fitz is going to be around for at least three more years.

Housler being out for a bit, and the mish-mash in the run game, is only going to help Floyd & Roberts.

Does anyone have any sense of where Floyd and Roberts fit into the Cards' offense?

Are they going to be running 3 WR sets a lot and if so who plays where what and when?

1. Calvin

2. Green

3. Julio

4. Dez

5. Marshall

6. D. Thomas

7. Cruz

8. Cobb

9. Fitz

10. V. Jackson

11. Colston

12. Jordy

13. ...

These are just off the top of my head. I'd rank him around WR 40 or so in dynasty. He really hasn't done a darn thing yet, and Fitz is going to be around for at least three more years.
Based on potential he's at least in the low 30's for me. Roberts is a UFA next year and it's extremely doubtful he'll be re-signed if Floyd shows anything this year. If Roberts could be a WR3 opposite Fitz then I think it's definitely possible for Floyd to be a WR2 next year.

Housler being out for a bit, and the mish-mash in the run game, is only going to help Floyd & Roberts.

Does anyone have any sense of where Floyd and Roberts fit into the Cards' offense?

Are they going to be running 3 WR sets a lot and if so who plays where what and when?
Forget Housler. Furthermore I do not see many targets to the RB, that is not what Arians or Palmer want to do.

Fitz and Floyd will be the primary outside WRs but there will be a lot of 3WR sets where Roberts will work from the slot. The WRs will change roles at times also in 3 WR sets. All 3 should see the ball fairly evenly but I expect Fitz to have the most targets. Floyd and Roberts may have pretty even number of targets with perhaps slightly more going to Roberts than Floyd just do to easier throws as the defense focuses more of Fitz/Floyd. Floyd may still have more yards and TD than Roberts as Palmer Arians will push the ball down field and Floyd may be their best deep ball receiver.

Floyd looked terrific in week 1 and now goes up against a beatable detroit secondary in week 2, in a game that is sure to be pass heavy in an effort to keep up with detroit's high octane offense. I'm rolling with Floyd in week 2 in my flex over daryl richardson and lamar miller. He really does look like he is on the verge of a crazy breakout season.

One handed catch was ridiculous.

Really can't fathom why he's rated so far behind Hopkins and Patterson. I'd probably take him over either.

If AZ line holds up, Palmer's gonna have huge passing yardage with that trio. Roberts/Floyd doesn't allow you to double Fitz.

Outside of Thomas/Welker/Decker, likely not a better trio WR group in the game right now.

If AZ line holds up, Palmer's gonna have huge passing yardage with that trio. Roberts/Floyd doesn't allow you to double Fitz.

Outside of Thomas/Welker/Decker, likely not a better trio WR group in the game right now.
Was just thinking last night that all three of those guys could go for 1k+ yards this year.

1. Calvin

2. Green

3. Julio

4. Dez

5. Marshall

6. D. Thomas

7. Cruz

8. Cobb

9. Fitz

10. V. Jackson

11. Colston

12. Jordy

13. ...

From your list, I wouldn't take Cobb, VJax, Colston, or Jordy over MFloyd in dynasty (well, I would take them over MFloyd in a startup, but I'd value Floyd higher and take him later).

VJax is 30. Colston is 30. They're on their way to athletic decline.

Jordy/Cobb don't fit the dynasty WR profile I target.

Very excited about him for dynasty but this year I think he's going to be behind Fitz and Roberts all year on the target list.

Yeah no shot I'd take Floyd as dyno top 10 WR.

Instability at QB long term. And IMO he's got a ways to go to prove he could be a #1. The guy is tremendous in jump balls, but leaves a bit to be desired getting out of his breaks for me to ever consider him Top 10 PPR dynasty.

I can see him being a Dwayne Bowe type. (I've always viewed Bowe as an ideal 2 type though his circumstances have made him a #1). I'm sure some have ranked Bowe as a Top 10 dyno WR at some point. Personally he's been ranked in the late teens/early 20 area for me throughout his career.

Week 1-

Fitzgerald 71 offensive snaps 100% 14 targets 8 receptions 80yds 2TD

Floyd 67 offensive snaps 94% 6 targets 4 receptions 82yds

Roberts 51 offensive snaps 72% 9 targets 8 receptions 87yds

Floyd should have a big day against the Lions, Simpson burned Slay all day last week who was then benched, I'm taking Floyd in all the daily fantasy games

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd had two end-zone targets and two additional targets inside the Lions 8-yard line in Week 2.
Floyd also had targets at the 2- and 8-yard line in Week 1. He's tied for seventh in the league in oTD, a stat created by our Mike Clay that reflects scoring opportunities. Still, Floyd has no touchdowns on the season despite all the chances. He's due for a breakout very soon, especially with Larry Fitzgerald nursing a sore hammy.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 19 - 12:10 PM

Saw that blurb on Rotoworld. I don't think their will ever be a sustained breakout from him. I've looked to sell in every PPR league I have him in (re-draft and dynasty). There's now another mouth to feed in Housler (for redraft) starting this week.

Nice stat by Rotoworld, but it only illustrates my problem with him. I don't see him as an efficient WR (and especially if ever asked to carry burden of being a #1). And as the stat indicates, he's had 4 shots already (with no Housler and a banged up Fitz) and scored none. Is he going to see those 2 shots/game going forward. Part of me says not likely.

The one big issue I saw in camp (and in games) is that he really struggles to get consistent separation. The guy is just slow out of his breaks. Fitz being hurt/dinged hurts Floyd IMHO. Floyd's body control is elite and has solid hands, but I have my questions if he'll ever be more than a jump ball type receiver.

I would make resigning Roberts a priority personally. The guy is polished and gets separation short, over the middle and deep. It's a two way street though and who knows what Roberts can get/will ask for next contract.

I would make resigning Roberts a priority personally. The guy is polished and gets separation short, over the middle and deep. It's a two way street though and who knows what Roberts can get/will ask for next contract.
The one thing that gave me pause watching Floyd as a draft prospect was that he seemed to have kind of a high-cut build (long legs relative to the rest of his body) and might not be the most evasive athlete. Then you look at the combine numbers and they seem to check out okay. He's definitely got the explosiveness. Is he efficient enough? I don't know. That's the one quality that I don't think the combine numbers can capture. The three cone drill is the closest thing and Floyd's time there was on the slow side. On the other hand, I don't think he's terminally slow out of his breaks when I watch his clips.

If you could combine Roberts's mobility with Floyd's frame, you would have the ideal #1 WR. Each player has something that the other is missing, as Floyd will never have the punt returner mobility of Roberts and Roberts will never have the jump ball ability of Floyd. I have said before that I think Roberts will command a big contract in the offseason. Arizona might want to keep him, but I don't know if they're going to be able to come up with the coin. They might have to roll with Floyd as their primary WR2 by default.

6-193-1

against JAX...

included around a 90 yd TD.

worth tracking the remainder of the season for signs of breakout confirmation...

I think he is talented but one game does not a season make.

It was his first game over 100 yards (his third over 80) and his second with more than 5 catches (he has three with 5 catches). He might actually break out but can you honestly trust him in your lineup this season?

the monster game did jump him into the top 25 in a lot of leagues...

in one i checked, he is right behind cotchery, marvin jones (no bye yet), than fitzgerald at #21 and decker at #20.

how much longer is palmer expected to remain in ARI?

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd (shoulder) is listed as probable for Week 12.

He returned to a full practice on Friday and will start against the Colts, who will again be missing LCB Greg Toler (groin). Floyd is a WR3 in fantasy.

I like him and was able to pick him up... BUT- a lot of variables. Who knows if CP will be there in a year or two. If CP stays and thrives it bodes well for MF over that period. Fitzgerald staying would also help, imo.

I like him and was able to pick him up... BUT- a lot of variables. Who knows if CP will be there in a year or two. If CP stays and thrives it bodes well for MF over that period. Fitzgerald staying would also help, imo.
Carson Palmer along with that offensively offensive line may very well be holding him back.

Thinking of starting Floyd over Andre Johnson. I haven't seen any of his games. Does he look as good as his recent stats suggest.

Floyd has to be a top-25 WR ROS, could break into the top-20. He's getting the big play stuff & Fitz seems to be more of the possession guy since his injury.

It's hard to start over some other guys who are the #1 option on their teams, but he's looking good. I have some better options ahead of him, so he's a real nice back-up that I'm comfortable spot-starting

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd (shoulder, ankle) returned to Cardinals practice Thursday.

Floyd should officially be listed as "limited," but barring a setback, he'll be ready for his usual role against the Rams. Fantasy's No. 3 receiver over the past three weeks, Floyd has barged onto the WR2 scene.

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter

Rotoworld:

According to the Cardinals' official site, Michael Floyd was "clearly gimpy" on his ailing ankle during Sunday's win over the Rams.

Floyd cooled off with a 2/26/0 line on five targets while Larry Fitzgerald went off for 12/96/1 on 12 targets. Perhaps the ankle Floyd rolled late in the Week 13 loss at Philadelphia is to blame. The Cardinals' passing game has a tough matchup at Tennessee in Week 15, so owners looking to use Floyd as a WR3 will need to monitor practice reports. He'd be a tough sell at less than 100 percent.

Source: azcardinals.com

Users who are viewing this thread