What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stedman Bailey. (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
Hrm, starting to think this guy should be getting a lot more love than he currently is. Sam Bradford threw the ball 551 times last year which leaves A LOT of potential targets to go around and after watching some film on him, Stedman Bailey may be the receiving end of plenty of them.

What I liked most about Bailey is his hands, he'll go up and fight for the ball; track it over his shoulder beautifully. He actually scored a Touchdown 1 out of every 4 catches at West Virginia last-year. He can take a screen to the house, gets separation deep, plays physical, and has great hands.

He has the skillset to be a high-volume receiver in the NFL.

Agree. It seems like every quote you read in scouting articles or in radio interviews about this guy is " this guy catches everything thrown his way". To me, it is hard to ignore extremely good hands when you are looking at rookie wrs and he does have production to back it up.

I think he could easily be one of the top 3-4 wrs to come out of this class but he is being drafted in the 12 or so range it seems

He has the skillset to be a high-volume receiver in the NFL.
I don't think so. Big receivers tend to dominate the target leaderboard in the NFL. Last year's top 20:

Calvin Johnson

Reggie Wayne

Brandon Marshall

Wes Welker

Andre Johnson

AJ Green

Larry Fitzgerald

Steve Johnson

Vincent Jackson

Roddy White

Victor Cruz

Demaryius Thomas

Steve Smith

Dez Bryant

Justin Blackmon

Marques Colston

Brandon Lloyd

Julio Jones

Brian Hartline

Mike Williams

I count three guys on this list that are shorter than 6 feet: Smith, Cruz, Welker.

Of the three short guys, only Smith has BMI below 28. Cruz and Welker are not tall, but they're both very solid for their height.

Even the Smith comparison is dubious because he was more explosive than Bailey at the combine. 38" vertical and 10'1" broad jump compared to 34.5" and 9'9".

Bailey is quick and productive, but I don't buy him as a great NFL prospect. I think his absolute best case upside is something like a Lance Moore type of player, meaning he'll probably only have value if he finds the perfect situation. Tavon Austin seems like a better talent and Chris Givens is a more dynamic athlete and a more established NFL commodity. I see Bailey as a 3rd-4th option for his NFL team. I feel pretty comfortable passing on him in my rookie drafts.

I agree he should get more love, but is tough with all the young WR they have. Especially with all the love Tavons getting. Look at the numbers from last year at WV though. Bailey had better numbers than Tavon! I would rather take RB, Patterson, or Hopkins top f draft and snag Bailey in 3rd!

Ive read that Bailey is one of the most NFL-ready receivers in the draft, along with Robert Woods. They're obviously not the most talented though. Someone mentioned Lance Moore type production and I can see that. I was able to grab Bailey in a 12 team 3 round rookie draft at 3.11. If he can be a solid #3 fantasy WR for me, ill be very happy. But I think he's a good stash to sell high on after a year or two to anyone who believes his stas will keep getting better. He might come in with some good stats up front in 2013 being as polished as he is, but the WR1 or WR2 production might never come.

Wasn't Brian Robiskie also an "nfl ready" receiver?

I just don't know how much weight that term carries anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it seems that all too often the "most NFL-ready" WRs really just peaked early and don't have a lot more upside.

I am a Rams fan, so I hope Bailey surpasses expectations, but I just think he is a solid guy, nothing special.

If Quick develops like he should (nobody was expecting him to be ready last year), then there isn't much room for Bailey especially when you consider addition of Cook. Bailey is an outstanding wr4 but where does that leave him for fantasy?

For where he is going in rookie drafts, I'll pass.

He's very talented, but he'll be behind Givens, Austin, Cook and probably Quick in terms of targets in that offense this year and all those guys are young and under contract for awhile, so I don't see where his production comes from.

Although I do agree that Bailey has an uphill climb to fantasy relevance, there are a few things I like about him:

1 He plays bigger than he is.

2 He has great hands.

3 He is great at adjusting to the ball mid-flight.

4 He was extremely productive in college.

I think if you have the space, he's a solid stash, but I wouldn't expect much this year. A good 3-4th round pick in 12 team ppr dynasty drafts imo.

I agree he should get more love, but is tough with all the young WR they have. Especially with all the love Tavons getting. Look at the numbers from last year at WV though. Bailey had better numbers than Tavon! I would rather take RB, Patterson, or Hopkins top f draft and snag Bailey in 3rd!
That's a little misleading because WVU tinkered with how they used Austin.

Stedan Bailey is A BETTER WR THAN TAVON AUSTIN!! And it's not even close!!

That must be why they decided to pass on him until after taking Austin. . Interesting strategy.

Bailey is bench material at best this year unless Quick chokes. Everyone else is locked in to get targets.

I remember a couple years ago when there was the same buzz from the Internet scouting gurus about Greg Salas. Similar draft position. Similar college production. Arguably even a better situation with less competition for Salas.

I am not saying Bailey will be a bust on the same level. But like Salas, I will let others reach for Stedman. Seems like he too is going too high in rookie drafts,

I'm not saying fantasy wise but as far as football is concerned bailey is a better WR much better route runner

That must be why they decided to pass on him until after taking Austin. . Interesting strategy. Bailey is bench material at best this year unless Quick chokes. Everyone else is locked in to get targets.
It's not a knock on Austin I love Austin. The Nfl drafts on Upside yea I think Austin has a higher Upside more of a playmaker may be a better fantasy option, but as a pure WR route runner catching the ball getting off the line Bailey is better than Austin in every aspect that's why he was the #1 WR for West Virginia not Austin!

I remember a couple years ago when there was the same buzz from the Internet scouting gurus about Greg Salas. Similar draft position. Similar college production. Arguably even a better situation with less competition for Salas.I am not saying Bailey will be a bust on the same level. But like Salas, I will let others reach for Stedman. Seems like he too is going too high in rookie drafts,
Salas was looking pretty good with 27 recs through 6 games his rookie season (including games with 7 and 8 recs) until he broke his leg and then hasn't got on the field since.

Still only 24 though, could bounce back and possibly make an impact somewhere.

Austin was drafted before Bailey because everyone had him rated/ranked as a 1st rounder. If any team wanted Austin the HAD to take him in the 1st.

AJ Jenkins was drafted in the 1st round. Does that mean he's better than the WRs taken after him? Most likely not.

I wouldn't fault any team if they had taken Bailey in the 1st.

bonesman said:
bengalbuck said:
I remember a couple years ago when there was the same buzz from the Internet scouting gurus about Greg Salas. Similar draft position. Similar college production. Arguably even a better situation with less competition for Salas.I am not saying Bailey will be a bust on the same level. But like Salas, I will let others reach for Stedman. Seems like he too is going too high in rookie drafts,
Salas was looking pretty good with 27 recs through 6 games his rookie season (including games with 7 and 8 recs) until he broke his leg and then hasn't got on the field since.

Salas is with PHI these days after being cut from the Patriots last year iirc. With Maclin and Jackson pretty entrenched hard to see much opportunity for him in the short term

hotboyz said:
i agree... I think Austin will make a better return guy than wr... like a Devin Hester type...

Bailey was the first rookie wr I took in our dynasty rookie draft. Grabbed Johnathan Franklin and Zac Stacy before him. And also nabbed Geno Smith right after... hope I don't regret grabbing Geno though Rex Ryan is a tool... I think Bailey and Franklin are going to take a lot of people by surprise this year...

bonesman said:
bengalbuck said:

Salas is with PHI these days after being cut from the Patriots last year iirc. With Maclin and Jackson pretty entrenched hard to see much opportunity for him in the short term
Actually, I'd say it's a pretty decent spot for him to flash in the short term. Neither are a model of health or consistency. Maclin will be a FA next year, DeSean has no guranteed $$$ in his contract after this year. Who's their 3rd? Avant? Benn? I'm not tripping over myself to add him but there are worse pick ups out there. And I give him a more than 0% chance of being somewhat relevant again.

I like Stedman too... not inconceivable that he ends up being better than Tavon.

I don't concern myself with all the thought of "he is buried behind Quick, etc" mainly because I think if the Rams were so impressed on where they think Quick is at this point then why did they draft not one, but two wrs in this draft; especially one that would be in direct competition of his role?

bonesman said:
bengalbuck said:

Actually, I'd say it's a pretty decent spot for him to flash in the short term. Neither are a model of health or consistency. Maclin will be a FA next year, DeSean has no guranteed $$$ in his contract after this year. Who's their 3rd? Avant? Benn? I'm not tripping over myself to add him but there are worse pick ups out there. And I give him a more than 0% chance of being somewhat relevant again.

I like Stedman too... not inconceivable that he ends up being better than Tavon.
Stedman will never be Tavon. Tavon has too much pure talent.

Please dont compare Salas to Bailey. Have you compared their college production and competition? Im not talking WVU vs UCONN, Rutgers, etc. Take a look at both of their tape and tell me Salas can hold Baileys strap.

:homer: yes, but also a realist.

Stedman Bailey is the next Marvin Harrison

... bookmarket
I was thinking more like Derrick Mason, Greg Jennings.

That FInnegan interview was a great find Unwrittenlaw, thanks for posting it. The conviction in how he says how he really likes Bailey speaks volumes to me.

I think Bailey is going to be a big part of the Rams offense. The Rams do many of the same things that worked well for the Austin/Bailey tandem in WV that should transition and be a pretty large chunk of the playbook. Givens and Cook will be involved as well as the RBs, but this looks like AirRaid Coryell to me.

I don't concern myself with all the thought of "he is buried behind Quick, etc" mainly because I think if the Rams were so impressed on where they think Quick is at this point then why did they draft not one, but two wrs in this draft; especially one that would be in direct competition of his role?
The Rams only had 3 WR's on their roster going into the draft. They had to draft 2 WR's, Had nothing to do with what they think of Quick

Stedman Bailey is the next Marvin Harrison ... bookmarket
I was thinking more like Derrick Mason, Greg Jennings. That FInnegan interview was a great find Unwrittenlaw, thanks for posting it. The conviction in how he says how he really likes Bailey speaks volumes to me. I think Bailey is going to be a big part of the Rams offense. The Rams do many of the same things that worked well for the Austin/Bailey tandem in WV that should transition and be a pretty large chunk of the playbook. Givens and Cook will be involved as well as the RBs, but this looks like AirRaid Coryell to me.
The Bailey comp to Mason is exactly what I thought. Mason was a solid fantasy wr2 in PPR during his best years.

i think Bailey is a huge value. Maybe he does not amount to the next marvin Harrison/Greg jennings, but few do.

Just landed him at 4.1 in a rookie draft, after guys like Barkley, Glennon, You're talking about a guy than make an instant impact here, and get him in the third round.

What's blocking him from landing a starting gig? Quick? Givens? Austin is a given here, but if nothing else, he flashes preseason and you can turn him into a 2nd round pick.

He has incredible ball tracking ability. Nothing flashy, or jumps off the charts, but a solid route runner, that will contribute in this offense.

hotboyz said:
I like Stedman, but this post is totally off base. He has top 20 upside, and was criminally under rated for more toolsy prospects, but he just doesn't have a #1 ceiling.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/7/3/4465542/stedman-bailey-st-louis-rams-2013-roster-battles

Where does Stedman Bailey fit in the Rams offense? By Tevin Broner @T_Bron on Jul 3 2013, 2:03p 41
151108420.0_standard_709.0.jpg
Justin K. Aller

Tavon Austin isn't the only former West Virginia Receiver that defenses will have to worry about.

Last April the St. Louis Rams, led by General Manager Les Snead and Head Coach Jeff Fisher, knew that the team had to have playmakers for franchise quarterback Sam Bradford. So they brought in talent like, veteran tight end Jared Cook and left tackle Jake Long, and added some interesting rookies also. You hear plenty about Tavon Austin and Zac Stacy, but the one rookie that everyone forgets to mention is Stedman Bailey.

Bailey was hidden by his former college roommate Tavon Austin's shadow, and he's under Austin's shadow once again. Luckily for the Rams, they drafted a good player late in the 3rd round.

Why did Bailey fall to the 3rd round?

Bailey is talented, didn't have any character concerns or red flags, so how did Bailey fall into the late 3rd round? Lot's of factors forced Bailey to fall in the draft. For one He's only 5'10, he had an average combine (which means he ran in the 4.5 range in the 40), and there were some really good receivers available in the draft.

Mini scouting report

+Great hands

+ Makes the acrobatic catch

+Adjusts well to the ball

+ Can get vertical

+ Can fight for the first down

+ Quick

+ Good routes

+ Comes back to the ball

+ One thing that stands out to me is that when he run blocks, he catches corners off guard, because he makes it look like he's running one of his routes

+Smart receiver that finds holes in coverage

+ Good run blocker for a receiver.

- Taller than his college teammate Tavon Austin, but is only 5'10

- Doesn't get much seperation

- Doesn't do well fighting for the ball

- More quick than fast

Here's what NFL Network had to say about Bailey.

STRENGTHS
Extremely productive. Showcases tremendous physicality in his routes. Uses his hands and body to create separation. Excellent body control. Very reliable target, volume catcher. Soft hands, can make plays off of his frame. Smart receiver who is adept at finds holes and picking up the first down. Tracks the football well over his shoulder and adjusts his body in order to make difficult catches. Competitive.
WEAKNESSES
Lacks ideal size, both in terms of height and bulk. Not an overly explosive athlete. Doesn't change directions with suddenness. Likely won't run a blazing 40 yard dash. Often times most of the attention of the defense was given to teammate and fellow wide receiver Tavon Austin.
NFL COMPARISON
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1956/greg-jennings

Greg Jennings
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1956/greg-jenningsBOTTOM LINE
Bailey lacks the ideal size and speed of an outside receiver. However, what Bailey lacks in terms of measurables, he makes up for with reliable hands, physicality, and superb body control. He will likely be selected on the second day.
Where will Stedman Bailey line up?

Bailey fits the new versatile model that the Rams are moving to this season. It makes sense to have players that can play multiple positions. It makes it easier to stress the defense when they have to worry about where a player is any given play.

Bailey won't be getting many snaps at running back or as a returner. He should be able to play some on the outside and as a slot receiver. Bailey could end up beating Quick for his spot, or when Austin is somewhere other than the slot, Bailey could come in and lineup there.

What will be Bailey's role with the Rams?

It's been a struggle figuring out where Bailey would fit among this group of talented wide receivers. On many teams right now Bailey would probably be third, and on a few teams he would be the second best receiver on the roster. On the Rams he could be the fourth best behind Brian Quick, Chris Givens, and fellow rookie Tavon Austin, I'd like to think that he has more talent than Austin Pettis and would beat him on the depth chart.

Bailey can be a starter in this league. The best role for him is the Brandon Gibson role. Bailey is more versatile and it appears that he has better hands. He's a possession receiver, that will be able to beat corners vertically, become a dependable red zone threat, and make Sam Bradford look better by catching passes that wouldn't have been catches a year ago for this team.

The only question is, how much playing time will Bailey get? For that answer, we will have to wait until training camp.

Welker, Crabtree, Blackmon, Austin/Bailey and the Dana Holgorsen Connection

the above were all WRs that starred for holgorsen, as position coach, OC or HC...

below article* predraft in march, written from steelers perspective (they ended up getting markus wheaton from oregon st. with 79th pick in 3rd... bailey went in same round with 92nd pick)...

exec summary (some points regarding how bailey's physical tools and skill set might translate to NFL that i found salient... in fact, i found the writer to be pretty incisive in general and did a commendable job raising my awareness of bailey's potential)...

bailey lowered his combine time of 4.52 to 4.48 at his pro day (imo, on film he looks 4.4 to me, for what its worth... he seems to be able to summon the jets or extra gear, the short area burst, acceleration and suddenness to routinely get behind DBs in coverage, at times even despite being double teamed - while speed obviously not the sole attribute or trait "responsible" (also route running precision, toughness, body control, hands, etc.), no way he scores 25 TDs in 2012 without exceptional quickness AND speed...

bailey's 25 TDs were third in ncaa history, and broke fellow holgorsen pupil crabtree's big 12 record of 22 TDs...

impressive quote by thomas, who i remember from way back as being at least a respected enough of an independent scout to see many of his writeups and scouting profiles on official NFL site...

"Bailey is the best value pick in the draft, and the best route runner,” said Dave-Te' Thomas, who operates Scouting Services Inc. and provides detailed draft analysis for NFL teams, including the Steelers.

BTW, BEFORE being exposed to the article, i had recently attempted to formulate what NFL predecessors, who may or may not have had succes, that were reminiscent of bailey (ie - comp player), in terms of a composite, hybrid or amalgam... the smoothness of his routes and deceptive deep speed reminded me of a shorter greg jennings at 5'10" 193 lbs. (jennings 5'11" 198 lbs.), and his toughness attacking the ball in the air and hardnosed, underrated RAC skills (at approx 4:50 mark of below clip, he catches the pass around the 10 yard line, rather than try and bounce it outside the outer DB, he turns it in towards the inner DB, is tackled near 5 yard line, than as he is dragged and spun headfirst and downwards towards the turf, he has the presence of mind, wherewithal and field awareness to make sure and extend the ball past the goal line while he is rotating in mid-air) reminded me of smaller hines ward (ward listed at 6' 205 lbs.)... jennings ran a 4.42 and ward a 4.55 at their respective combines...

the article mentions by way of ward connection that bailey was outstanding on ST (willing to do dirty work of blocking and tackling)...

about 9 minute highlight reel of bailey's awesome WV career/resume... his final (junior) season begins approx 3:55 mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWLXrlF8SE

the focus here is on bailey, who doesn't get the attention of austin (admittedly very different draft pedigree neighborhoods, bailey not in park place like his more heralded teammate)... however, i also thought it was cool that welker, a player austin is sometimes compared to, was coached by same person... maybe some of the things instilled in welker that enabled him to better translate his tools and skills to success at the next level, would similarly help austin (and of course, on the bonus plan, austin is far faster and probably quicker as well, compared to his brilliantly accomplished predecessor welker - in sense of being fellow holgorsen proteges)... at 5'9" 185 lbs, welker about 1" taller and 5 lbs bigger than austin...

* http://triblive.com/sports/johnharris/3680790-74/bailey-steelers-austin#axzz2aEuM67JP

When Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said “we have to find players via free agency and the draft” Sunday, I assume he was including the receiver position.

Mike Wallace is gone, and we don't know if the New England Patriots really want Emmanuel Sanders or if they're using the threat of signing him to retain some of their own players.

Let's assume Sanders leaves. Even if he stays, the Steelers need another wideout for depth. They also need someone who can stretch the secondary.

Someone such as West Virginia's Stedman Bailey.

I used to think that Bailey's teammate, Tavon Austin, would be perfect for the Steelers. But Austin is similar in size to Antonio Brown, who signed a $42.5 million contract last year.

Austin believes he's the most talented player in this year's NFL Draft. He could be right. He's a faster version of Wes Welker and a product of the same system; both played slot receiver and were coached by Dana Holgorsen in college. Austin likely will be available when the Steelers select with the No. 17 pick next month.

It's difficult to see the Steelers taking a receiver with their first pick when there are holes at linebacker and the offensive line — especially after reports surfaced the Steelers were considering free-agent left tackle Jake Long, who signed with St. Louis.

Bailey — projected to be drafted in the second or third round — makes more sense. He's not as fast as Austin, but he's bigger and is a more complete receiver who does all the little things the Steelers demand from their wideouts. He even dropped his time in the 40-yard dash from 4.52 at the NFL Scouting Combine in February to 4.48 at West Virginia's Pro Day last week.

What makes Bailey such an attractive prospect? He outplayed some of the top cornerbacks in college football and posted eye-popping statistics while playing for a coach with an excellent track record for sending talented receivers to the pros.

“Bailey is the best value pick in the draft, and the best route runner,” said Dave-Te' Thomas, who operates Scouting Services Inc. and provides detailed draft analysis for NFL teams, including the Steelers.

Bailey, who left WVU with a year of eligibility remaining, led the country with 25 touchdowns among his 114 receptions in 2012 — the third-highest total in NCAA FBS history — and broke Michael Crabtree's Big 12 record of 22 touchdown grabs in 2007 (Crabtree, too, was coached by Holgorsen in college). No active college player has reached Bailey's 41 career touchdown grabs.

“Stedman's body control, the smoothness which he runs his routes — his overall feel for the game — is uncanny,” said quarterback Geno Smith, who was Bailey's teammate in college and high school. “It's something you only see on Sundays.”

Bailey diversified his game to include not only receiving skills — he was among three finalists for the Biletnikoff Award — but also his willingness to excel in less glamorous roles as a defender and blocker on special teams.

Bailey led West Virginia with 10 special teams tackles last season (seven solo), recording at least one stop in eight games. He also finished third in the Big 12 with 1,781 all-purpose yards.

“All teams want rookies to come in and play special teams. That's saying a lot about his toughness,” said Tony Fleming, Bailey's Florida-based agent.

Hines Ward became respected as much for his blocking as his receiving skills with the Steelers. Bailey is a Ward clone in that regard.

Bailey made two great blocks to free Austin on a long kickoff return against Texas while matching the speedy Austin stride for stride along the sideline. In a 2011 game against LSU, Bailey viciously rocked cornerback Morris Claiborne twice on the same play. Claiborne became so incensed that he retaliated and received a personal foul.

Bailey burned Claiborne with eight receptions for 115 yards and a 20-yard touchdown. Claiborne was the No. 6 overall selection in the 2012 draft.

Bailey's performance against Oklahoma (13 receptions for 205 yards and four touchdowns) may have convinced Sooners All-Big 12 cornerback Aaron Colvin to return for his senior season. Bailey's 13 catches for 303 yards and five touchdowns against Baylor was the best performance in school history and ranks among the best of all time.

Prior to the combine, Fleming hired a receivers coach to prepare Bailey and some of his other clients for what to expect in Indianapolis. It turned out to be new assistant coach Richard Mann before he joined the Steelers.

“It's pretty ironic,” said Bailey, who met with Mann and coach Mike Tomlin following West Virginia's Pro Day. “I felt like the vibe between us was good. He's a down-to-earth, humorous guy who made me laugh. When I worked with Coach Mann, he was searching for a job. Now he's with the Steelers, and I know they need receivers. I'm quite sure he'll remember me.”

Bailey's high level of success in his three years at West Virginia will make him difficult to forget.

John Harris is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at jharris@tribweb.com or via Twitter @JHarris_Trib.

Good read Bob. One thing this made me think about is that Fisher was part of drafting Derrick Mason with pick 98 in the 1997 draft which is very similar range to Bailey being drafted 92 in 2013.

The blocking is something that should get him on the field and is important for the outside running game to work to maximum effect. So it makes sense that Bailey should see the field frequently for that reason and being able to play outside or slot in an offense that will likely have shifting personnel groups where WR are trading roles after motion and audibles.

While pro day times are usually much better than combine times, Bailey does strike me as a player with outstanding work ethic who I think could have improved his time somewhat through technique and practice over that time frame as well. In any case I do think he is fast enough.

I think people have wrongly overlooked him because of his size and 40 time. Also being in the shadow of Austin is part of that as well.

I do think Given's will get the most targets, then Austin, Cook, Bailey is how I see the pecking order right now. I may be giving Givens too many however just because I do not expect rookie WR to make a huge impact right away. For the most part I expect Bailey to beat out Quick. The blocking might do that on its own.

Welker, Crabtree, Blackmon, Austin/Bailey and the Dana Holgorsen Connection

the above were all WRs that starred for holgorsen, as position coach, OC or HC...

below article* predraft in march, written from steelers perspective (they ended up getting markus wheaton from oregon st. with 79th pick in 3rd... bailey went in same round with 92nd pick)...

exec summary (some points regarding how bailey's physical tools and skill set might translate to NFL that i found salient... in fact, i found the writer to be pretty incisive in general and did a commendable job raising my awareness of bailey's potential)...

bailey lowered his combine time of 4.52 to 4.48 at his pro day (imo, on film he looks 4.4 to me, for what its worth... he seems to be able to summon the jets or extra gear, the short area burst, acceleration and suddenness to routinely get behind DBs in coverage, at times even despite being double teamed - while speed obviously not the sole attribute or trait "responsible" (also route running precision, toughness, body control, hands, etc.), no way he scores 25 TDs in 2012 without exceptional quickness AND speed...

bailey's 25 TDs were third in ncaa history, and broke fellow holgorsen pupil crabtree's big 12 record of 22 TDs...

impressive quote by thomas, who i remember from way back as being at least a respected enough of an independent scout to see many of his writeups and scouting profiles on official NFL site...

"Bailey is the best value pick in the draft, and the best route runner, said Dave-Te' Thomas, who operates Scouting Services Inc. and provides detailed draft analysis for NFL teams, including the Steelers.

BTW, BEFORE being exposed to the article, i had recently attempted to formulate what NFL predecessors, who may or may not have had succes, that were reminiscent of bailey (ie - comp player), in terms of a composite, hybrid or amalgam... the smoothness of his routes and deceptive deep speed reminded me of a shorter greg jennings at 5'10" 193 lbs. (jennings 5'11" 198 lbs.), and his toughness attacking the ball in the air and hardnosed, underrated RAC skills (at approx 4:50 mark of below clip, he catches the pass around the 10 yard line, rather than try and bounce it outside the outer DB, he turns it in towards the inner DB, is tackled near 5 yard line, than as he is dragged and spun headfirst and downwards towards the turf, he has the presence of mind, wherewithal and field awareness to make sure and extend the ball past the goal line while he is rotating in mid-air) reminded me of smaller hines ward (ward listed at 6' 205 lbs.)... jennings ran a 4.42 and ward a 4.55 at their respective combines...

the article mentions by way of ward connection that bailey was outstanding on ST (willing to do dirty work of blocking and tackling)...

about 9 minute highlight reel of bailey's awesome WV career/resume... his final (junior) season begins approx 3:55 mark...

the focus here is on bailey, who doesn't get the attention of austin (admittedly very different draft pedigree neighborhoods, bailey not in park place like his more heralded teammate)... however, i also thought it was cool that welker, a player austin is sometimes compared to, was coached by same person... maybe some of the things instilled in welker that enabled him to better translate his tools and skills to success at the next level, would similarly help austin (and of course, on the bonus plan, austin is far faster and probably quicker as well, compared to his brilliantly accomplished predecessor welker - in sense of being fellow holgorsen proteges)... at 5'9" 185 lbs, welker about 1" taller and 5 lbs bigger than austin...

* http://triblive.com/sports/johnharris/3680790-74/bailey-steelers-austin#axzz2aEuM67JP

When Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said we have to find players via free agency and the draft Sunday, I assume he was including the receiver position.

Mike Wallace is gone, and we don't know if the New England Patriots really want Emmanuel Sanders or if they're using the threat of signing him to retain some of their own players.

Let's assume Sanders leaves. Even if he stays, the Steelers need another wideout for depth. They also need someone who can stretch the secondary.

Someone such as West Virginia's Stedman Bailey.

I used to think that Bailey's teammate, Tavon Austin, would be perfect for the Steelers. But Austin is similar in size to Antonio Brown, who signed a $42.5 million contract last year.

Austin believes he's the most talented player in this year's NFL Draft. He could be right. He's a faster version of Wes Welker and a product of the same system; both played slot receiver and were coached by Dana Holgorsen in college. Austin likely will be available when the Steelers select with the No. 17 pick next month.

It's difficult to see the Steelers taking a receiver with their first pick when there are holes at linebacker and the offensive line especially after reports surfaced the Steelers were considering free-agent left tackle Jake Long, who signed with St. Louis.

Bailey projected to be drafted in the second or third round makes more sense. He's not as fast as Austin, but he's bigger and is a more complete receiver who does all the little things the Steelers demand from their wideouts. He even dropped his time in the 40-yard dash from 4.52 at the NFL Scouting Combine in February to 4.48 at West Virginia's Pro Day last week.

What makes Bailey such an attractive prospect? He outplayed some of the top cornerbacks in college football and posted eye-popping statistics while playing for a coach with an excellent track record for sending talented receivers to the pros.

Bailey is the best value pick in the draft, and the best route runner, said Dave-Te' Thomas, who operates Scouting Services Inc. and provides detailed draft analysis for NFL teams, including the Steelers.

Bailey, who left WVU with a year of eligibility remaining, led the country with 25 touchdowns among his 114 receptions in 2012 the third-highest total in NCAA FBS history and broke Michael Crabtree's Big 12 record of 22 touchdown grabs in 2007 (Crabtree, too, was coached by Holgorsen in college). No active college player has reached Bailey's 41 career touchdown grabs.

Stedman's body control, the smoothness which he runs his routes his overall feel for the game is uncanny, said quarterback Geno Smith, who was Bailey's teammate in college and high school. It's something you only see on Sundays.

Bailey diversified his game to include not only receiving skills he was among three finalists for the Biletnikoff Award but also his willingness to excel in less glamorous roles as a defender and blocker on special teams.

Bailey led West Virginia with 10 special teams tackles last season (seven solo), recording at least one stop in eight games. He also finished third in the Big 12 with 1,781 all-purpose yards.

All teams want rookies to come in and play special teams. That's saying a lot about his toughness, said Tony Fleming, Bailey's Florida-based agent.

Hines Ward became respected as much for his blocking as his receiving skills with the Steelers. Bailey is a Ward clone in that regard.

Bailey made two great blocks to free Austin on a long kickoff return against Texas while matching the speedy Austin stride for stride along the sideline. In a 2011 game against LSU, Bailey viciously rocked cornerback Morris Claiborne twice on the same play. Claiborne became so incensed that he retaliated and received a personal foul.

Bailey burned Claiborne with eight receptions for 115 yards and a 20-yard touchdown. Claiborne was the No. 6 overall selection in the 2012 draft.

Bailey's performance against Oklahoma (13 receptions for 205 yards and four touchdowns) may have convinced Sooners All-Big 12 cornerback Aaron Colvin to return for his senior season. Bailey's 13 catches for 303 yards and five touchdowns against Baylor was the best performance in school history and ranks among the best of all time.

Prior to the combine, Fleming hired a receivers coach to prepare Bailey and some of his other clients for what to expect in Indianapolis. It turned out to be new assistant coach Richard Mann before he joined the Steelers.

It's pretty ironic, said Bailey, who met with Mann and coach Mike Tomlin following West Virginia's Pro Day. I felt like the vibe between us was good. He's a down-to-earth, humorous guy who made me laugh. When I worked with Coach Mann, he was searching for a job. Now he's with the Steelers, and I know they need receivers. I'm quite sure he'll remember me.

Bailey's high level of success in his three years at West Virginia will make him difficult to forget.

John Harris is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at jharris@tribweb.com or via Twitter @JHarris_Trib.
Nice post on Bailey's potential. Thanks.

Good read Bob. One thing this made me think about is that Fisher was part of drafting Derrick Mason with pick 98 in the 1997 draft which is very similar range to Bailey being drafted 92 in 2013.

The blocking is something that should get him on the field and is important for the outside running game to work to maximum effect. So it makes sense that Bailey should see the field frequently for that reason and being able to play outside or slot in an offense that will likely have shifting personnel groups where WR are trading roles after motion and audibles.

While pro day times are usually much better than combine times, Bailey does strike me as a player with outstanding work ethic who I think could have improved his time somewhat through technique and practice over that time frame as well. In any case I do think he is fast enough.

I think people have wrongly overlooked him because of his size and 40 time. Also being in the shadow of Austin is part of that as well.

I do think Given's will get the most targets, then Austin, Cook, Bailey is how I see the pecking order right now. I may be giving Givens too many however just because I do not expect rookie WR to make a huge impact right away. For the most part I expect Bailey to beat out Quick. The blocking might do that on its own.
thanks, biabreakable...

i like the mason comp and concur...

BTW, just to clarify for anybody else reading, i don't like him as much in redraft, but like him a lot in dynasty, i think he could start in a year or two... after doing more research on him, i wouldn't take him ahead of justin hunter or keenan allen, probably not woods, but he has moved up in a good WR class in my estimation.

to recap/highlight some things that stood out after further investigation... his feet are great, both in quickness and precision, he has impressive field awareness and knows where the sidelines are and end zone is, and he is a silky smooth route runner (ex-ram torry holt was legendary in this respect), doesn't need to downshift or gather himself to explode through cuts, there are faster WRs in class (patterson, wheaton, etc.) but he MAINTAINS his speed well (ie - impressive functional, playing speed)...

I love this guy and to boil it down, he just simply is a good football player and gets it done. His speed during all phases of the game does not suffer and that reminds me of guys like Reggie Wayne and boldin when they were younger. They just get into position and play ball once they have it. I think he will become a very reliable piece of what the rams do and I'm looking forward to watching this team play now even though I'm not a rams fan.

BTW, just to clarify for anybody else reading, i don't like him as much in redraft, but like him a lot in dynasty, i think he could start in a year or two... after doing more research on him, i wouldn't take him ahead of justin hunter or keenan allen, probably not woods, but he has moved up in a good WR class in my estimation.
I have Allen ahead of Bailey but Hunter and Woods in similar tier. The main problem with Hunter and Woods for me is thier QB. Now if Bradford is not retained.. then Bailey would be in the same boat as these guys. However Fisher chose the Rams in part because of Bradford. So I think they work something out and keep him, although they may ask him to take a reduced salary depending on how he performs this season.

In 2014 and beyond I think Bailey becomes the WR1 for the Rams with Austin as the WR2, Givens the WR3.

it should be very interesting to see how the passing offense pie is divided up...

i think givens has a good chance to lead STL WRs in yardage this year... and if he does, that might give him momentum going into 2014?

i knew givens was fast, but didn't know HOW fast... ran a 10.4 100 m as texas prep, and at one time one of five fastest in state.

bailey doesn't have that kind of a freakish measurable going for him, but he does look like he already has a better all around game, and is a more complete WR...

imo, austin's long term dynasty value hinges critically and fatefully on if he is a volume slot WR (like welker, amendola)... i do think they are going to want ROI and to get their money's worth (not that they will hand it to him 30 times in a game as a RB, they will be smart about it), and will find a way to get the ball in his hands a lot... if that happens, with his quickness, speed and open field moves, than he will be able to do some damage (probably not quite like the show he routinely put on saturdays at west virginia, where he made the opposing defenses look like their gatorade had been spiked with haldol :) )...

i recently characterized bailey's (currently WR5?) constellation of traits in relation to pettis (possible starter opposite givens, with austin in slot) and quick (competing for same starter opposite givens) as being a better OVERALL combination of talent/state of development (more talented than pettis, developed than quick - in fact, come to think of it, bailey might be more talented AND developed than both of them)...

and however things shake out at WR position (DET had a year when moore, perriman and morton all had good season), prized free agent TE jared cook is expected to be at least a co-focal point of the offense, with the passing game running through he and austin... if everybody maximizes and realizes close to their full potential, THAT might resemble the chargers juggernauts with winslow, joiner and jefferson, OR, more recently and closer to home for bradford, the oklahoma powerhouse that featured TE jermaine gresham - i think bradford had like a 50/10 TD/INT ratio final season in college, on the strength of which he was #1 pick in his draft class)...

pead reminds me a little of westbrook, and he could could be involved in the passing game from the backfield...

it might be a good idea to point out here that sometimes there are parallels in different sports...

i thought some of the most dangerous laker teams had a great inside/outside game, whether wilt, kareem or shaq (with west, magic, kobe)... very hard to defend that... extended to football, threat of givens deep speed could open up the middle, short/intermediate routes... cook can threaten seams and attack safeties, which would have to be accounted for... if austin can terrorize middle of the field and get ball in space, that could open things up for givens and cook, etc.

There is still a lot unknown at this point. However I see Bailey as the guy running some of the mid range and underneath routes that Cook/Givens will be clearing as well as the attention given to Austin. So what I mean as far as Bailey taking over WR1 in 2014 is in terms of targets, not neccessarily yards/TDs.

Givens seems more like the big play field stretcher although they have talked about working him on quicker routes such as the slant as well.

I see Bailey working his way into the possesion WR/move the chains role that takes advantage of the threats the other 3 present.

As far as Austin goes I think he is going to be a great player. However I also think he is going to get a lot of attention from defensive scheming that Bailey and the other receivers will often take advantage of.

four plays...

1) 5:15 - fade to back corner of end zone, TD reception... DBs can key on when the ball is going to arrive if WRs have heavy handed tells, especially things like head placement, eye movement, getting arms up in receiving position to soon, etc... bailey looks like he was well coached, or is a natural... raises his head at last moment, also late raising arms, and incorporates with his running motion (there are multiple examples of this trait in the above highlights)...

2) 6:20 - near opponents 5 yd line, TD reception... double covered, close DB allows inside, schemed for bracket coverage by back DB, bailey bends/curves his route to subtly cut in front of second DB for an easy TD

3) 7:15 - again about opponents 5 yd line, TD run... flashes some balance, strength, physicality and determined running ability, takes a flip or forward pitch in backfield, DL (much bigger, obviously), gets a hand on him about the 4 yd line and attempts to arm tackle him... bailey doesn't rip away free, the DL keeps a hand on him, bailey drags him the rest of the way, crosses the stripe, scores (this is the part that reminded me of hines ward a little - some scouts have also been reminded of CAR steve smith, due to his penchant for attacking the ball in the air and evident "my ball" mentality)... noting this in particular, because their may be a common perception that W. Virginia "air raid" attack was gimmicky, and he was running crazy free for them 99% of the time... some of those 25 TDs in 2012 were contested and he was winnning matchups...

4) 8:10 - about 30 yard line, TD reception... bailey takes a quick hitter as he is moving back towards formation, vectors diagonally towards the center of the goal line, is intercepted by a defender between 20 and 25 yd line, attempts to grab his calf, bailey powers through it almost without breaking stride, shows good balance and rights himself with his left leg, back to top speed in about three strides, off to the races and the end zone again...

* not sure if mentioned upthread, but reportedly when rams contingent (probably included fisher and snead, scouts, coaches, front office types) went to work out austin, afterwards the rams QB/s that were involved in the workout (don't think bradford, maybe clemens?) were RAVING about bailey, i think it caught them totally unaware and completely by surprise how bailey unexpectedly (to them) turned out to be very good in his own right, if with different skill set than austin... they were impressed particularly by his ability to go up and get the ball and attack it in the air, even though he isn't tall... not sure how much that contributed to the decision in the end to draft him in the third? i did get the impression fisher wasn't surprised as the workout QBs, as he had understandably done his home work...

i think it is kind of cool that rams reunited austin and bailey... not only are they roommates already (at least on the road) and can help each other get up to speed with the playbook as quickly as possible, but the rams can also incorporate the intangible factor of them being in a position as teammates to constantly challenge and push each other in friendly competition towards greatness. :)

where he made the opposing defenses look like their gatorade had been spiked with haldo
:lol: I had to google what haldo might be. I'm still chuckling now.

Yesterday I was reading that Austin and Bailey worked on passing routes with Bradford after practice. Just these 3. I have said this a few times already but I think there are route combinations that these 2 players work well together on, there is already timing a chemistry between them, and the Rams are going to take advantage of this. I have noticed several teams doing this, drafting multiple players from a college team or teams utilizing the same systems. Having that chemistry and timing should help both acclimate to the NFL more quickly by working together.

As you mentioned earlier in regards to Bailey's blocking ability. They are going to want that blocking on the field often to help the outside running game once they get the defense tied up in knots and over committing to stop Austin.

Austin needs a fast blocker to escort him. Similarly Richardson/Pead on the outside runs and screens need WR who can make those plays effective. There is enough speed here that one good block can turn these into TD.

Bailey is able to run any of the routes in combination with Austin and they can change roles after audibles as well.

Finnegan is someone who I have a lot of respect for and his impression of Bailey really stuck out to me as well. This is a good cornerback who has seen all kinds of greatness at WR with his purpose to try to stop them. Right away he was raving about how good Bailey is. This is the same guy who earned some of his reputation due to getting very physical with Andre Johnson. If Finnegan says Bailey can play I believe him.

You may be right though that the momentum Given's gains this season carries forward to 2014 so perhaps this would mean Bailey is 3rd in targets instead of 1st. There is a lot of football between now and then. I do really like Bailey though and I think he is going to be a relevant player in FF. How long that takes to come to fruition is the only question for me.

He reminds me of Anquan Boldin with the savvy of Reggie Wayne. I think any time you have a young player that already shows some moxxy, that is a general good indication for his prospects.

Bailey won't see more targets than Givens, Austin and Cook and arguably Quick and Pettis too. I like Bailey, just don't see any FF relevance unless a couple injuries happen. He's low in the pecking order.

I am fully on this bandwagon. The guy gets rave reviews from everyone in the know at every step of the way this offseason. I have seen no detractors at all. I have seen too many WR4s in the offseason carve out a WR2 role over the course of the regular season. Cream rises to the top.

http://www.kmov.com/sports/Rams-Camp-Insider-Wednesdays-notes--217864891.html

Rams rookie receiver Stedman Bailey continued his impressive training camp with a nice TD reception in the red zone drills. Bailey showing why he was one of the best route runners in the draft.

Second year wideout Brian Quick has also been impressive. Quick has been using his 6 '3 & 220 pound frame to create seperation with defensive backs, and he's caught the eye of his quarterback. "He has all the physical tools in the world" said Sam Bradford. " To see him finally using his strength and his size is a really good sign."

Rotoworld:

Rams third-round WR Stedman Bailey has been putting together a "long line" of strong practices over the past couple of weeks.
Bailey has reportedly "essentially been perfect" in one-on-one drills and continues to "catch everything thrown his way" in team drills as he's been "having his way" with the Rams' backup corners. He hasn't seen many -- if any -- reps with the first-team offense this summer, but the Rams might need to give him a look. Austin Pettis showed nothing in the preseason opener -- his lone target resulted in a drop, while Brian Quick has seen his ups and downs. Bailey has strong, reliable hands, and he's nails in the red zone despite his smaller frame.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Rams third-round WR Stedman Bailey has been putting together a "long line" of strong practices over the past couple of weeks.
Bailey has reportedly "essentially been perfect" in one-on-one drills and continues to "catch everything thrown his way" in team drills as he's been "having his way" with the Rams' backup corners. He hasn't seen many -- if any -- reps with the first-team offense this summer, but the Rams might need to give him a look. Austin Pettis showed nothing in the preseason opener -- his lone target resulted in a drop, while Brian Quick has seen his ups and downs. Bailey has strong, reliable hands, and he's nails in the red zone despite his smaller frame.

Source: ESPN.com

Quick has been looking great. Big, strong, fast and good hands. Will drop an occasional ball though.

Users who are viewing this thread