Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
belljr

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory

14 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

some prequel news

===========

“Game of Thrones” Prequel
Winter is coming and so is the “Game of Thrones” prequel. The HBO pilot is starting to round out its cast, announcing that Naomi Watts and Josh Whitehouse will appear on the show. Watts will star in the prequel, and Whitehouse’s role is being kept under wraps for now. The two are the first to be cast in the pilot which will take place thousands of years before the events of “Game of Thrones” and chronicle Westeros’ history and descent. Jane Goldman, who co-created the project and wrote the story alongside George R. R. Martin, will write the teleplay and serve as the showrunner. There hasn’t been a casting director assigned to the project yet, at least publicly, but it is possible “Game of Thrones” CDs Nina Gold and Robert Sternewill take the helm on staffing the new series, which has yet to announce if it will return to Belfast, Northern Ireland to film or choose another production location

Tentatively titled The Long Night, if Martin can be trusted.

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Tentatively titled The Long Night, if Martin can be trusted.

He should call it The Winds of Winter just to get that monkey off his back.  

15 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

some prequel news

===========

“Game of Thrones” Prequel
Winter is coming and so is the “Game of Thrones” prequel. The HBO pilot is starting to round out its cast, announcing that Naomi Watts and Josh Whitehouse will appear on the show. Watts will star in the prequel, and Whitehouse’s role is being kept under wraps for now. The two are the first to be cast in the pilot which will take place thousands of years before the events of “Game of Thrones” and chronicle Westeros’ history and descent. Jane Goldman, who co-created the project and wrote the story alongside George R. R. Martin, will write the teleplay and serve as the showrunner. There hasn’t been a casting director assigned to the project yet, at least publicly, but it is possible “Game of Thrones” CDs Nina Gold and Robert Sternewill take the helm on staffing the new series, which has yet to announce if it will return to Belfast, Northern Ireland to film or choose another production location

Finish the story that loyal fans have waited on for 20 years now that will likely sell few books now that the TV series has already finished?... Naw.

Write a new story in the same world that no one has asked for but will likely make another billion dollars on HBO? ...  Finished immediately.

• Like 4

He Speaks....

As fans eagerly await the eighth and final season of HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” the author of the book series for which it’s based on is struggling to meet the high demand put on him by the show’s success, as well as the complexity of his own story.

George R.R. Martin, the author of the “Song of Ice and Fire” series, was featured in an interview with The Guardian in which he described the ever-growing pressure for him to finish the sixth of seven awaited books in the franchise. The 70-year-old writer updated fans on its progress and mentioned how the story’s TV success has gotten in the way of his ability to finish “Winds of Winter.

“The show has achieved such popularity around the world, the books have been so popular and so well reviewed, that every time I sit down I’m very conscious I have to do something great, and trying to do something great is a considerable weight to bear,” Martin said. “On the other hand, once I really get rolling, I get into the world. The rest of the world vanishes, and I don’t care what I’m having for dinner, what movies are on, what my email says or who’s mad at me this week because The Winds of Winter isn’t out – all that is gone and I’m just living in the world I’m writing about. But it’s sometimes hard to get to that almost trance state.”

As previously reported, Martin is notorious for his slow writing pace. The fifth book in the series was released in 2011, shortly after the premiere of “Game of Thrones.” Since then, the writer cannot appear in public without fans and critics alike chastising him for not being at home writing “Winds of Winter.” Further adding to the frustration, Martin’s most recent work has been on “Fire and Blood,” a history of the fictional world in which the series is based.

However, the author noted that getting into the world of “Game of Thrones” is not difficult for him, keeping track of its ever-growing nature, on the other hand, is.

“I’ve been struggling with it for a few years,” he told the outlet. “The Winds of Winter is not so much a novel as a dozen novels, each with a different protagonist, each having a different cast of supporting players, antagonists, allies and lovers around them, and all of these weaving together against the march of time in an extremely complex fashion. So it’s very, very challenging. Fire and Blood by contrast was very simple. Not that it’s easy – it still took me years to put together – but it is easier.”

Fortunately for eager fans, he confirmed that the next item on his to-do list is “Winds of Winter.” After that, only “A Dream of Spring” stands between him and the completion of one of the most highly sought-after book series ever.

Meanwhile, “Game of Thrones” will wrap up the story based on the structure that Martin laid out for series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss back in Season 6, when the show officially outpaced Martin’s stories for the first time.

18 minutes ago, E Street Brat said:

“I’ve been struggling with it for a few years,” he told the outlet.

No ####?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, E Street Brat said:

He Speaks....

“On the other hand, once I really get rolling, I get into the world. The rest of the world vanishes, and I don’t care what I’m having for dinner, ...

How I know this is bs.

• Like 5

HBO ran a marathon over the weekend and each season is streaming On Demand right now.  My wife is pissed.  I watched the first two seasons in 3 days.  Been a while since I've seen Hodor's hog.  :lol:

12 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

HBO ran a marathon over the weekend and each season is streaming On Demand right now.  My wife is pissed.  I watched the first two seasons in 3 days.  Been a while since I've seen Hodor's hog.  :lol:

You typed that with one hand, didn't you?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

24 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

You typed that with one hand, didn't you?

I have to use both hands for one that big.

Weird quote:

"Yeah, there's some Ewoks in this one," Benioff told Entertainment Weekly. "We just figured those morons are going to lap it up no matter what we do, so let's put in some ####in' Ewoks. George loves the Ewoks."

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

I can't read the thread yet bc only through season one, just finished it tonight. I'd just like to say...

• NED?! YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!
  • FLOVE ME SOME KHALEESI :wub: 
  • I effin KNEW there were gonna be dragons!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

I can't read the thread yet bc only through season one, just finished it tonight. I'd just like to say...

Stay off the internet and binge like there’s no tomorrow. Seriously don’t tell anyone you’re watching until you’re caught up... people can’t help themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Hodor motherf$@&$r. 

8 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

HBO on demand seems to missing some episodes 

11 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Have you gotten to the part where the guy with the sword and the chick with the boobs and hugs?

On 11/26/2018 at 3:35 PM, Grahamburn said:

HBO ran a marathon over the weekend and each season is streaming On Demand right now.  My wife is pissed.  I watched the first two seasons in 3 days.  Been a while since I've seen Hodor's hog:lol:

That's the name of my Game of Thrones filk singing band.  

Just started rewatching from season 1. Didn’t read any of the books so had no background on the show the first time around. Enjoying it just as much (maybe a little more) since they throw so many characters/plots at you, its tough to keep up with it all the first time watching.

5 hours ago, RG623 said:

Just started rewatching from season 1. Didn’t read any of the books so had no background on the show the first time around. Enjoying it just as much (maybe a little more) since they throw so many characters/plots at you, its tough to keep up with it all the first time watching.

It's funny how you pick up things about Jon/Ned/Robert and Ned's sister in the first couple of episodes that, when you go back and watch...are pretty telling.  I wonder if Sean Bean was told anything about Robert/Rheagar and his sister....because there's a couple of times the guys looking at Robert like "Yeah....my sister didn't like you". 

• Like 2

https://www.hbo.com/hbo-news/game-of-thrones-prequel-what-to-know.html

There’s been a lot of speculation about the prequel to Game of Thrones but here’s what’s known so far .

What’s it about? Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know.

Who will it star? New casting includes: Naomi Ackie (Lady Macbeth), Denise Gough (Monday), Jamie Campbell Bower (Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald), Sheila Atim (Harlots), Ivanno Jeremiah (Humans), Georgie Henley (The Chronicles of Narnia films), Alex Sharp (How to Talk to Girls at Parties) and Toby Regbo (The Last Kingdom, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald).

These actors join Oscar-nominee Naomi Watts (21 Grams), who headlines as a charismatic socialite hiding a dark secret, and Josh Whitehouse (Poldark).

Who is behind it? Jane Goldman and GoT author George R.R. Martin are the creators of this new series, with Goldman serving as the showrunner. Both will executive produce, alongside SJ Clarkson (The Defenders, Jessica Jones, HBO’s Succession and the upcoming Star Trek installment), who will also be directing the pilot episode; James Farrell; Jim Danger Gray; Vince Gerardis; Daniel Zelman and co-executive producer Chris Symes. Martin was also an executive producer on Game of Thronesand contributed to several episode scripts.

1 hour ago, LAUNCH said:

There’s been a lot of speculation about the prequel to Game of Thrones but here’s what’s known so far .

What’s it about? Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know.

Who will it star? New casting includes: Naomi Ackie (Lady Macbeth), Denise Gough (Monday), Jamie Campbell Bower (Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald), Sheila Atim (Harlots), Ivanno Jeremiah (Humans), Georgie Henley (The Chronicles of Narnia films), Alex Sharp (How to Talk to Girls at Parties) and Toby Regbo (The Last Kingdom, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald).

These actors join Oscar-nominee Naomi Watts (21 Grams), who headlines as a charismatic socialite hiding a dark secret, and Josh Whitehouse (Poldark).

Who is behind it? Jane Goldman and GoT author George R.R. Martin are the creators of this new series, with Goldman serving as the showrunner. Both will executive produce, alongside SJ Clarkson (The Defenders, Jessica Jones, HBO’s Succession and the upcoming Star Trek installment), who will also be directing the pilot episode; James Farrell; Jim Danger Gray; Vince Gerardis; Daniel Zelman and co-executive producer Chris Symes. Martin was also an executive producer on Game of Thronesand contributed to several episode scripts.

From what I saw/heard, whatever I'm pretty geeked about this.

2 hours ago, LAUNCH said:

So this is pre-Targaryans/Dragons? Or right smack dab in the middle of it?

1 hour ago, TheFanatic said:

So this is pre-Targaryans/Dragons? Or right smack dab in the middle of it?

IF they existed then, they would have still been in Valyria.  

15 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

IF they existed then, they would have still been in Valyria.  

OK, so pre Targs leaving Valyria and heading to Westeros. Got it. 

I really want to see something where we have big battles with lots of dragons. They have to have the budget to do something in Valyria eventually, right? 

2 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

OK, so pre Targs leaving Valyria and heading to Westeros. Got it. 

I really want to see something where we have big battles with lots of dragons. They have to have the budget to do something in Valyria eventually, right? 

I wish I could remember where I saw it but I thought this was pre-fall so partially in Valeria during it's heyday, the fall (explained), and finally the move to Westeros.

10 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

I wish I could remember where I saw it but I thought this was pre-fall so partially in Valeria during it's heyday, the fall (explained), and finally the move to Westeros.

And the origin of the white walkers... All of this sounds fabulous to me. And yeah, I heard it that way to in my head when I wrote fabulous

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

It’s been awhile since I nerded out on this stuff, but IIRC Valyria fell a few hundred years before GoT, and the prequel is set several thousand years before. 

12 minutes ago, thecatch said:

It’s been awhile since I nerded out on this stuff, but IIRC Valyria fell a few hundred years before GoT, and the prequel is set several thousand years before. 

Yea I think it was all a pipe dream in my head. I just tried to search the innerwebs for something and came up MT.

4 hours ago, thecatch said:

Is Bran the Builder and the First Men in that timeframe?

1 minute ago, EYLive said:

Is Bran the Builder and the First Men in that timeframe?

Supposedly. Hard to say how canon timelines (such as they are) are going to played with here.

4 hours ago, thecatch said:

Don’t they say in the show that it’s been thousands of years since the last winter? So long that no one believes the stories about white walkers. A few hundred years is well within the belief spectrum, so it’s got to be well before. 

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Don’t they say in the show that it’s been thousands of years since the last winter? So long that no one believes the stories about white walkers. A few hundred years is well within the belief spectrum, so it’s got to be well before. 

In season 1 they say it's been generations since the last long winter.

2 hours ago, E Street Brat said:

It sounds like it's even before Fire and Blood.

Right.

Age of heroes and valyria rising are thousands, maybe even 10,000 years before the Targs came to Westeros.

Targs fled valyria to Dragonstone something like 450 years before GOT timeline. 

Valyrian Doom was a decade or so later. 

Aegon invaded Westeros from Dragonstone 100 years or so after that. 

Dany marries Drogo around 300 years after Aegon's invasion.

39 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don't think so.  Just a long time since there was a long winter.  But I think in THE BOOKS some place I saw but can't remember now, they might mention a long winter occurring when Ned was a kid.

There was a winter 20 or so years before the events in ASOIAF. The year of the great tourney at Harrenhal when Ned meets Howland Reed iirc. They called it the year of the false spring, so they had to be coming out of winter. 

My daughter had to fill a semester with a class at college—so she has a Game of Thrones Class. She had to buy the first couple books including the prequel book or whatever and a graphic novel. Plus they suggested she watch the first three seasons. 

Now my daughter has never had any interest in this at all. First day of class was Monday and she said it was like going to a Comic-con. Guys kept coming up to her asking what her favorite part of the book was or what episode was the best. She said she was In hell as it was a 6-1 ratio of guys to girls. I am just laughing my butt off. She did take my advice (since there is a lot of group work involved) and I told her to find the most enthusiastic fan of the lot and make him her partner. This is really going to be fun to hear the updates. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 4

A buddy of mine works in LA as an editor, and he's been working on this (with a lot of other people) 24-7. I've been pressing him for info, but obviously he's signed like 15 things that bind him to not breathe a ####### word of it to anybody.

So I call him up this past Friday, when I know he'll be out. He started laughing at first, but then I got him to spill one line of dialogue that Dany says. Proceed with caution:

Danerys: "You guys are ####### dorks."

Edited by Good Posting Judge
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

9 hours ago, Courtjester said:

My daughter had to fill a semester with a class at college—so she has a Game of Thrones Class. She had to buy the first couple books including the prequel book or whatever and a graphic novel. Plus they suggested she watch the first three seasons. 

Now my daughter has never had any interest in this at all. First day of class was Monday and she said it was like going to a Comic-con. Guys kept coming up to her asking what her favorite part of the book was or what episode was the best. She said she was In hell as it was a 6-1 ratio of guys to girls. I am just laughing my butt off. She did take my advice (since there is a lot of group work involved) and I told her to find the most enthusiastic fan of the lot and make him her partner. This is really going to be fun to hear the updates. 

First - a college class?

Second -  :lol:

That poor girl

Edited by belljr
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

There was a winter 20 or so years before the events in ASOIAF. The year of the great tourney at Harrenhal when Ned meets Howland Reed iirc. They called it the year of the false spring, so they had to be coming out of winter. 

When Tyrion was at  he Wall in season one, Mormont asks him how many winters he's seen. Tyrion  says, "8, no 9. It was winter the year I was born." Tyrion was 25 in that episode. They are at the end of the long summer which was 9 years long. Which means in his previous 16 years he saw a very short winter/summer cycle with a winter every other year. It's this unusually long summer that brings the Walkers out and signals the beginning of a very long winter. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

A buddy of mine works in LA as an editor, and he's been working on this (with a lot of other people) 24-7. I've been pressing him for info, but obviously he's signed like 15 things that bind him to not breathe a ####### word of it to anybody.

So I call him up this past Friday, when I know he'll be out. He started laughing at first, but then I got him to spill one line of dialogue that Dany says. Proceed with caution:

Hide contents

Yet here you are. In this thread. Seems like this is a cry for help from your inner dork. Let him out. Either that or go to another thread. Your input adds nothing here. 

25 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

Seems like this is a cry for help from your inner dork. Let him out. Either that or go to another thread. Your input adds nothing here. 

I'd suggest the same wrt your sense of humor.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Reveal hidden contents

Great.  Now we're left trying to figure out who she might be speaking to at the time.  A bunch of White Walkers?  Brotherhood without Banners?  Who???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'd suggest the same wrt your sense of humor.

Good to know. All you gotta do is block. It's not that hard.