What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (2 Viewers)

I just saw the guy that got recast for the part of Dario (long haired Fabio guy with Khaleesi). He now looks like everyone else with dark hair and a beard. I hate when that #### happens.
Yeah on a show this big it really irks me as well. Not sure how big a character he is going forward. If he turns out being big it will bother me more. I felt the same way about "the mountain" recasting. I mean you cant get random big dude X who played the Mountain in season 1 to come back? his schedule that busy?

I remembered silicon valley was on after this, but I completely forgot about VEEP. Thats on at 10:30

In a nerd sort of way, I'm even excited to see the new season opening scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff. Obviously, Arya and the Hound was great. I also really like all the Lannister dynamics. Even Jon Snow (who I usually find boring) was very interesting. The change in the Dario is definitely a downgrade. Seems like a boring, uninteresting character after seeking to be the opposite last year.

Ok so who was that new guy that wanted to kill all the lannisters? And why is tyrion so scared of him?
He is a prince from Dorne. Sounded like he said his sister was married to the Targaryn prince and was part of the slaughter during the whole killing of the Mad King, Kingslayer, Baratheon takeover stuff.

So my thoughts.

Why is the Stark sword being melted down such a big deal? And who is the other smaller sword going to? Tyrion? Or did Tywin keep the big one and the small one is for Jamie because of the off hand?

This Red Viper guy is going to be a good one. Only thing is it's a little late in the game to all of a sudden say there is a really powerful person in the world who is going to march right in and challenge the lanisters isn't it?

Who the hell were the tall cut up crow eating monsters that showed up south of the wall all of a sudden?

So the kings guard guy gets thrown out on his ### and now he is

So some fat fool is going to steal the heart of Sansa?

So Jamie is going to let his "son" talk to him that way?

Seems like Bronn and the Red Viper may get along well.... that moment at the ho-house was funny.

HBO ordered. Damnit I was going to read the books first. Hopefully this won't ruin the books for me.
I just read all 5 books in the past 3 or 4 months. The show doesn't ruin the books at all; quite the opposite actually. It really helps. As someone told me, stay out of this thread until you have read them. I saw one spoiler I didn't want to see and it didn't ruin it per se but damn I wish I hadn't known.

strykerpks said:
The Ref said:
So my thoughts.

Why is the Stark sword being melted down such a big deal? And who is the other smaller sword going to? Tyrion? Or did Tywin keep the big one and the small one is for Jamie because of the off hand?

This Red Viper guy is going to be a good one. Only thing is it's a little late in the game to all of a sudden say there is a really powerful person in the world who is going to march right in and challenge the lanisters isn't it?

Who the hell were the tall cut up crow eating monsters that showed up south of the wall all of a sudden?

So the kings guard guy gets thrown out on his ### and now he is

So some fat fool is going to steal the heart of Sansa?

So Jamie is going to let his "son" talk to him that way?

Seems like Bronn and the Red Viper may get along well.... that moment at the ho-house was funny.
I"ll defer to people who are more versed in the ASOIAF universe but here are my thoughts:Pretty sure Tywin had 2 swords made but I don't recall where the 2nd one went. IT was a big deal for Jamie because Valaryan steel is extremely rare.

Tough to introduce Oberyn but Dorne wasn't much of a player in the first 3 seasons. They would have had to do a Theon type arc that would be tough to do without any source material. I think they'll hammer the Elia story home so that

Jamie knows his place
What's with the fool comment, dude? WTF?

I forgot which thread I was in. I deleted my comment. Please delete the post you quoted.

Sincerely sorry. ######## move on my part

I forgot which thread I was in. I deleted my comment. Please delete the post you quoted.Sincerely sorry. ######## move on my part
:hot:

You owe me eleven Miller Lites for that. And you have to buy ONLY a 12 pack and watch me drink 11 while you only have one. (I'm not Joffrey-level cruel...you can at least have one)

I forgot which thread I was in. I deleted my comment. Please delete the post you quoted.Sincerely sorry. ######## move on my part
:hot: You owe me eleven Miller Lites for that. And you have to buy ONLY a 12 pack and watch me drink 11 while you only have one. (I'm not Joffrey-level cruel...you can at least have one)
Like I"m not going to have a flask hidden :rolleyes: Dude, delete your quote
Edited.

And I'll make you watch while I dump your flask.

Because the Red Wedding happened right before the end of season 3, and because the finale had so many other plots to resolve or advance, there wasn't a lot of time to bask in the Lannisters' absolute triumph over the Starks and the rest of the men of the North. "Two Swords," though," gives the Lannisters a long, luxurious, period of celebration, and it is both wonderful and extremely unsettling. It's good to be the king, or the hand of the king, or the queen regent, or the head of the Kingsguard. Robb Stark's dead, Jaime is returned (even if he is less than whole), Joffrey's wedding draws ever-closer and all seems well in King's Landing for anyone with blonde hair.Tywin's is the first face we see this season (before the opening credits, even), as he celebrates his family's moment of victory by having Ned Stark's enormous (or, to Tywin's mind, absurdly large) Valyrian steel sword melted down into two smaller, more practical blades, one of them gifted to Jaime, who will have to make like Inigio Montoya and master the art of dueling left-handed. Ned's been dead a long time now, going by either our calendar or the show's, and it is a measure of both Tywin's patience and the storytellers' that he would wait until the war was won before destroying the famous sword that symbolized his enemy and turn it into something more suited of the Lannister clan.

And yet even in this time of celebration, there are already many problems for House Lannister to deal with. Joffrey is as horrible as ever, and Jaime gets his first glimpse of what a monster his son has become since assuming the Iron Throne(*). Cersei has turned cold towards Jaime because of all his time away and his disfigurement (and while he was being celibate in Robb's custody and then Brienne's, Cersei was busy using one of her cousins as a Jaime stand-in). Their affair is what started all of these problems, first with the murder of Jon Arryn, then with the crippling of Bran, and now that they've vanquished the Starks and been reunited, she's no longer in a mood to celebrate. It's a hard life being a one-handed, incestuous Kingslayer, y'know?

(*) I do wonder how much of Joffrey's mockery of Jaime's short entry in the book of brothers is his usual sadism and how much is boosted by Joffrey reacting to the reports (which he believes to be false rumors, and which we know to be otherwise) that Jaime is his dad. Joffrey doesn't want to be the product of incest, so perhaps it's best to put his "uncle" in his place rather than let the guy feel any desire to act paternal. Or, again, it could just be Joffrey viewing every person as a toy to play with and discard.

Tyrion, meanwhile, remains caught between a grieving rock and a jealous hard place, and it's a position he understandably still wants no part of. Sansa's too consumed with thoughts of the Red Wedding, and Shae feels protective of her, but she also can't let go of the thought that her lover and this child might eventually develop real feelings for each other. And knowing what we know about how Tywin has treated Tyrion's past lovers, no good can come of one of Cersei's handmaids overhearing their argument, can it?

And beyond internal Lannister strife, "Two Swords" makes sure we get plenty of time with some threats to their sovereignty, both close at hand and far away.

Because we're still largely adapting stuff from the same book that season 3 was based on, there isn't the flood of new characters the way there's been in past seasons, but we get to meet Oberyn Martell (played in vintage Ricardo Montalban fashion by Pedro Pascal) and his traveling companion Ellaria (Indira Varma), both of them sexually adventurous and him with an enormous grudge against the entire Lannister clan. Oberyn's only in a few scenes, but he makes an impression as he gets the better of a pair of Lannister cousins before Tyrion can come in and defuse the situation.

Far across the sea, Dany's dragons are much bigger, and her army seems to be as well. (In both cases, it seems as if the show's visual effects have improved each year.) Her campaign to free the slaves of Essos still has her plan to light a fire over King's Landing on indefinite hold, but she's bolder and more confident by the day, and looks more than ready to punish the bad people of Meereen when she gets there.

And we close on another sort of potential threat to the Lannisters with an extended suspense sequence featuring everyone's favorite buddy team of Arya and the Hound. As not-as-dead-as-reported Stark kids, Bran theoretically puts a bigger monkey wrench in Tywin's plans, since he's the true heir of Winterfell. But he's busy traveling further north and getting his warg on, whereas Arya is in the middle of the country and apparently on her way to see creepy Aunt Lyssa at the Vale of Arryn. If news gets out that Tywin allowed one of the Stark girls to escape his custody alive — or, worse, that he was in a room with her on multiple occasions and had no idea — this will at minimum make him look weak to his allies. And if Arya keeps picking up fighting lessons from the Hound (following the ones she already got from Jaqen and Syrio), there's always a chance she could wipe all the names off her revenge list on her own. The episode's title could refer to the two different swords that Tywin turns Ned's into, or it could refer to the two we see in someone's hand: Jaime's and Arya's, which she finally reclaims from Polliver after she and the Hound make quick and impressive work of him and his men.

It's a fascinating closing scene. D.B. Weiss, directing his first episode of the show, does such a good job of drawing out the tension of whether Polliver will recognize Arya and/or whether there will be blood spilled. But it also invites us to cheer at Arya becoming more and more like the sadists she wants revenge on. As she kills Polliver, she recites the conversation he had with her friend right before killing him, and makes sure this is all as drawn out as possible. It's eye-for-an-eye justice, and everyone Arya has on her list deserves some of that, but in an episode that began with our first symbol of Ned Stark in quite some time, I wonder how he would feel about what his daughter is turning into in her travels.

Some other thoughts:

* The opening credits add two new locations, in the rugged Westeros castle Dreadfort and Meereen, another walled city of Essos. Interestingly, we don't get to either one this week, though Dany is at least on her way to the latter. In the past, the show has treated King's Landing, Winterfell, the Wall and wherever Dany is as weekly locations (and Dragonstone may have reached that level, given its presence in a Stannis-less episode), but hasn't always been consistent about whether we only see other places (say, the Twins) when major characters are there or if we stop at them as placeholders because the credits have to run a certain length.

* Michiel Huisman from "Tremé" steps in as the new Daario, and instantly seems more interesting than Ed Skrein was in the role. Huisman wasn't exactly hit by the ugly stick himself, but Daario now comes across as more calculating and smooth rather than just a pretty boy who can fight. He can pick up on Grey Worm's attraction to Dany's translator Missandei, and is incredibly smooth and sly in the way that he arranges to give Dany a lesson in local botany that of course makes it look like he's giving her a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Jorah didn't like Daario in his original incarnation, and I don't see him being any happier with this guy around his Khaleesi.

* Sansa gets her first good moment in forever when knight-turned-fool Dontos, whose life she saved early in season 2 when Joffrey was on the verge of having him executed, shows up to thank her for her kindness and give her a family heirloom he no longer has any use for. It's not an escape, but at least it's a reminder she has been able to do a few good things in the midst of all the tragedy of her life.

* Some tension at Castle Black, where Jon Snow is catching grief over the murder of Halfhand, sleeping with Ygritte and all his other shenanigans from north of the Wall. At this stage, it's interesting that there's no reaction by anyone further south to the news of White Walkers and the wildling army, given how concerned at least Stannis was at the end of last season, but that could still come later. And Ygritte and Tormund get some company from another wildling tribe who prefer their meat to be of the human variety. Time for a "Hannibal"/"GoT" crossover?

When does Joffrey get killed and who does it?

I'm moving in a few weeks from a place with HBO, back home to a place without HBO. I might have to order HBO for the first time ever.

Sucks that I still haven't seen a lot of season 3 (other than a red wedding and some episodes on HBO2 yesterday), but I assume re-runs can be found. Is it streamed somewhere?

I'm moving in a few weeks from a place with HBO, back home to a place without HBO. I might have to order HBO for the first time ever.

Sucks that I still haven't seen a lot of season 3 (other than a red wedding and some episodes on HBO2 yesterday), but I assume re-runs can be found. Is it streamed somewhere?
It's the most pirated show of all time so yeah. It's out there

Why was the girl strung up? I know they said there was one at every mile marker but I missed why there was one

It's the most pirated show of all time so yeah. It's out there
Plus many companies give you your choice of a movie channel when you sign up for a certain TV package, so there's that.

Why was the girl strung up? I know they said there was one at every mile marker but I missed why there was one
I believe they are slave girls purposely displayed to show Dany the way to Meereen, which is the next slave city on her journey to overthrow all the slave cities. The dead slave milemarkers serve as a taunt to Dany to tell her they're waiting. There was a conversation in last night's episode where they mentioned how many slaves dies building the great pyramid of Meereen.

I believe they are slave girls purposely displayed to show Dany the way to Meereen, which is the next slave city on her journey to overthrow all the slave cities. The dead slave milemarkers serve as a taunt to Dany to tell her they're waiting. There was a conversation in last night's episode where they mentioned how many slaves dies building the great pyramid of Meereen.
yep thanks... read the ew recap and that explained it

why did they make the little guy marry sansa? what was the strategy behind that marriage? Starks are all destroyed and even before that a marriage wasn't all of a sudden going to stop Rob.

why did they make the little guy marry sansa? what was the strategy behind that marriage? Starks are all destroyed and even before that a marriage wasn't all of a sudden going to stop Rob.
Sansa is thought to be the last surviving Stark child. Whoever marries her gets to hold Winterfell.

In the eyes of Tywin, Sansa is the gateway to the north now that Robb is out and who knows where the other to are. Tyrion and Sansa's son would be Lord of Winterfell, I assume. That way the Lannister's would have a firm grip on that region.

Thinking Bran and Rickon are dead, Sansa would be the heir to Winterfell. Marrying a Lannister to Sansa would make him the Warden of the North.

Did they do it to taunt her specifically? I mean how would they now she is coming? I guess it really dont matter either way. They are bad, she is going to lay the smackith down.

Thinking Bran and Rickon are dead, Sansa would be the heir to Winterfell. Marrying a Lannister to Sansa would make him the Warden of the North.
I'm not sure if they get how important bloodlines to a particular region is in the book ( dont answer, but they must I'm guessing) but this seems kind of ridiculous to me. Why would it matter? Seems to me they could just give the north to Lanaster X now or give it to Roose for his participation in the Red wedding. Kind of like what they did for littlefinger and Harranhall (sp).

I'm not sure if they get how important bloodlines to a particular region is in the book ( dont answer, but they must I'm guessing) but this seems kind of ridiculous to me. Why would it matter? Seems to me they could just give the north to Lanaster X now or give it to Roose for his participation in the Red wedding. Kind of like what they did for littlefinger and Harranhall (sp).
I think it might mean a tad more to the lords of the north if there was stark blood involved, but that just my be wishful thinking on tywins part.

essentially he is just trying to get a chokehold on the land. he stays in the capital, he sends jamie home, tyrion north, and cercei south.

Users who are viewing this thread