What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (5 Viewers)

I’m hoping the dragons take the fleet of ships out first, so at least if Cersei wins, the golden company’s soldiers won’t be able to get back home anytime soon.  Not sure which side Bronn is going to end up fighting for, I got a bad feeling that he is going to end up taking either Jamie or Tyrion out.  I sure hope I’m wrong.  
If they play to the history of the Golden Company, they may not want to go back home.  They actually are home.  Bringing them to Westeros might be an addition to the long list of Cersei mistakes.  

Oberyn wasn't a main character but was definitely a fan favorite. His death had the gut-punch kind of affect that I think folks were hoping for in this episode. 
I think that's right.  They didn't kill any fan favorites, so that gut punch wasn't really there. Maybe I'm just arguing semantics and that's what people really mean when they talk about there not being any big deaths.

After all the fan anticipation, I'd like to see them square off to fight -  only for someone to kill the Mountain with a cross-bow before the fight begins...
I always figured that The Mountain was turned into whatever that is by the same sort of magic that made the White Walkers.  I figure when Maester Qyburn takes a dirt nap, The Mountain will die much like the Walkers died when the NK did.

Except for 2 dragons.
1 1/2, they got jacked up pretty bad from what I can tell. Not sure Jon's will make the trip or be very useful if he does. Also not sure of heal time on a dragon.

How fast does it for the golden company flip sides when dani and Jon ride to kings landing?
They have made it a point to state the Golden Company has never broke a contract. They also have never fought against dragons so who knows. It would be poetic license if the Golden Company turned on Cersei at the last ala the Gold Cloaks turning on Ned in season 1.

1 who cares about the books....meaninless.....not only that half of them wont be at the winterfell battle in the books.....brienne...pod....varys...tormund....the hound.....etc......
Kinda my point. Since the books ran out, the writing has taken on a much more Hollywood feel to me. There was a distinct cut line for me when you could tell the books where no longer supplying the detail for the screen. I know they've taken liberties with the plot lines but for the most part didn't deviate a huge distance from what the books laid out. I think if the series had been complete the Battle of Winterfell would have produced a decidedly different list of survivors :shrug: Ultimately I guess you're right, who cares? Just my opinion for the book crowd I guess.

Theon is power 5 conference, just not the big boys.  I think there's a mini level between the A-listers and the B-listers, and he's there.  

Theon is power 5 conference, just not the big boys.  I think there's a mini level between the A-listers and the B-listers, and he's there.  
Theon is like CBB's Gonzaga.  He's around, he's important, but you knew he was going to be taken out before the end.  They should have killed one of Jon or Dany.  Now that the WW army is gone, you don't really need both characters.  It would have made that episode an all-time classic.

This only thing throwing me off was after all the dothraki were slaughtered and a few ran back there was a scene showing Jorah coming back and at least on my badly compressed stream, it appeared if Jorah's face was disfigured. At the time I thought he had been possessed by the WW and thats how the WW's were gonna sneak in. 

I assume I was watching a crappy stream or did anybody else pick up on that? 

Hopefully Cersei kills everyone, starting with Tyrion and Jamie, and keeps the throne with Euron, so everyone in this thread #####ing about how no one dies gets what they asked for.  

Thought last night's episode was great and was glad most of the champions made it through to fight another day.  They are going to need them in the next battle, where they will likely start to bite the dust.  I could see some of these champions dying versus a White Walker (whom never even fought) but those weak wights are supposed to take out some of the best fighters in Westeros?  Give me a ####### break. 
As far as the wights taking out the fighters, it was the sheer number of wights that overwhelmed the fighters

Theon is like CBB's Gonzaga.  He's around, he's important, but you knew he was going to be taken out before the end.  They should have killed one of Jon or Dany.  Now that the WW army is gone, you don't really need both characters.  It would have made that episode an all-time classic.
:hifive:

This only thing throwing me off was after all the dothraki were slaughtered and a few ran back there was a scene showing Jorah coming back and at least on my badly compressed stream, it appeared if Jorah's face was disfigured. At the time I thought he had been possessed by the WW and thats how the WW's were gonna sneak in. 

I assume I was watching a crappy stream or did anybody else pick up on that? 
Good call. Noticed the same thing on my not crappy stream. 

Good analogy.   taking out Theon was the safe play for sure.  

As far as the wights taking out the fighters, it was the sheer number of wights that overwhelmed the fighters
I get that and they did take out 90%+ of the army, just not the best outside of Jorah and Beric.  Which is what I would have expected, unless we wanted it to be Jon/Dany to be the only two taking on Cersei.  

If anyone big should of died last night, it should have been Dany.  She's no fighter, without her dragon, and should of died with Jorah.  

Hopefully Cersei kills everyone, starting with Tyrion and Jamie, and keeps the throne with Euron, so everyone in this thread #####ing about how no one dies gets what they asked for.  

Thought last night's episode was great and was glad most of the champions made it through to fight another day.  They are going to need them in the next battle, where they will likely start to bite the dust.  I could see some of these champions dying versus a White Walker (whom never even fought) but those weak wights are supposed to take out some of the best fighters in Westeros?  Give me a ####### break. 
Zombies are a number game.  Kind of cheesy that there were multiple times where Sam/Brienne/Jaime were swimming in the hoards of zomibes and don't bite it.  Sam was basically taking a nap on a pile a couple times during the battle.  Don't care how good of a fighter you are if you are taking on 20 of these things.  We saw at the start of the fight that some of the best fighters in this universe - the Dothraki - got swallowed up.  It was entertaining to watch, but pure Hollywood blockbuster cheese.  

Man of Constant Sorrow said:
Yeah, I remember that. I can't recall the season, but it was when she was at the wall with Stannis and his army.

I think she took it off to reveal herself to Jon - but not sure.

Also, how long did she have it off? I really don't know. But, could that have made a difference?

Good questions. However, I doubt the series will answer that clearly.
as I recall she took it off to take a bath and was all alone.  I think it was a scene for the audience to see her "true" nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always thought I’d like the show even better if the whole white walker angle was taken out completely. Night King going out in kind of a whimper reinforced that. It was never well explained, it took up a lot of time, the Bran thing was always kind of dumb. I don’t know....the chess playing for the throne was always by far my favorite part. I’m glad they dispatched this part of the show in episode 3 so we can get to the part I really care about.

Of the gaps, and there were several, was White Walker vs. main character fights was a glaring one.  I thought surely one or more mains would go down to a WW.  We didn't even see a WW even engage a redshirt.

1 1/2, they got jacked up pretty bad from what I can tell. Not sure Jon's will make the trip or be very useful if he does. Also not sure of heal time on a dragon.

They have made it a point to state the Golden Company has never broke a contract. They also have never fought against dragons so who knows. It would be poetic license if the Golden Company turned on Cersei at the last ala the Gold Cloaks turning on Ned in season 1.

Kinda my point. Since the books ran out, the writing has taken on a much more Hollywood feel to me. There was a distinct cut line for me when you could tell the books where no longer supplying the detail for the screen. I know they've taken liberties with the plot lines but for the most part didn't deviate a huge distance from what the books laid out. I think if the series had been complete the Battle of Winterfell would have produced a decidedly different list of survivors :shrug: Ultimately I guess you're right, who cares? Just my opinion for the book crowd I guess.
I'd imagine there is going to be a few weeks before they start heading to KL, everyone else has to heal and re-arm.

Of the gaps, and there were several, was White Walker vs. main character fights was a glaring one.  I thought surely one or more mains would go down to a WW.  We didn't even see a WW even engage a redshirt.
yeah this was disappointing,  certainly it could of happened during the fight in the castle.  does brienne need to live more than Jorah?  Podrick,  tormund , grey Worm? now it's a 3 way between dany, Jon, and Cersei,  all other characters are disposable,  except jaime or Tyrion to kill Cersei.

Last edited by a moderator:
They still have 2 dragons, so unless the golden company is going to be super accurate with their dragon lances doesn't matter how many they have.
They would need to actually use those dragons though, which seems to be a problem with current leadership.

We saw a vision of the past where he was created for this exact purpose alone. 
This.  

Listen, and understand. That terminator Night King is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

It's funny that this thread was made with the express condition of "no backstory" and now people are pissed because "No Backstory!"

I mean at this point Cersi owes a bunch of money that she will get back from ___________ ??? (Selling oxy to the north? New revenue stream?  what?)

Winning a battle vs. Dany doesn't bring in any funds AFAIK.  

I can be on board with this— elite mid major. He’s not Ball State— lol. There are a few Gonzaga’s in the show, Jorah being another. They should not be classified with Beric. 

Sinn Fein said:
I thought the opening scene of the battle was a great way to show the futility in fighting the dead - seeing all the dothraki head out with flaming scythes - only to see them all disappear.

Yankee23Fan said:
The fire attacking pitch black....just great cinematography. 
:goodposting: s   I made that exact comment to m'lady when we were watching

Zombies are a number game.  Kind of cheesy that there were multiple times where Sam/Brienne/Jaime were swimming in the hoards of zomibes and don't bite it.  Sam was basically taking a nap on a pile a couple times during the battle.  Don't care how good of a fighter you are if you are taking on 20 of these things.  We saw at the start of the fight that some of the best fighters in this universe - the Dothraki - got swallowed up.  It was entertaining to watch, but pure Hollywood blockbuster cheese.  
Of course there is going to be some Hollywood cheese at this stage of the show.  But, for the living to ever win this fight in the show, this is how it needed to play out.  If reality would have played out, every single living person in Winterfell would have died, as well as the dragons and dire wolves.  

Sinn Fein said:
I thought the opening scene of the battle was a great way to show the futility in fighting the dead - seeing all the dothraki head out with flaming scythes - only to see them all disappear.

Yankee23Fan said:
The fire attacking pitch black....just great cinematography. 
:goodposting: s   I made that exact comment to m'lady when we were watching
Agreed, it was excellent. Red Witch showing up to light up the dothraki scythes gave me a temporary glimmer of hope. That hope didn't last very long. 

Episode 2 lost some of its purchase for me in light of episode 3.   None of the characters in the fireplace scene died.  That scene has more power if one or some of them do.  

I also can’t help but feel that we didn’t pay enough for the night king death. We basically traded Theon.  Should have cost more.  GRRM would have required more for sure. 

Loved the episode. Amazing direction, score, cinematography and acting.  But, as has been the case since the show moved beyond its literary crutch, the narrative continues to be the weakest link.  

also the dothraki charge while cool visually was really stupid, as is not fighting from behind the walls of winterfell from the beginning of the battle.  that is the purpose of a castle,  not to get swarmed by overwhelming numbers.  if nothing else use the dragons with the charge to try and blunt the numbers .  everyone goes to the Hollywood battle tactics school,  I guess.

Next week I want to see Littlefinger standing next to an unaware Cersei.
This is another one I think GRRM will handle differently in the books - just like we never really got the back story on why the Night King was attacking now, and why the connection to Bran - I felt like we never got a good accounting of what Littlefinger was ultimately hoping to accomplish with all of his scheming. The endings of both story arcs seemed very abrupt.

I don't know, those dragons got pretty beat up. I am surprised either of them is even alive at this point. We know dragon fire can't kill them but what about wildfire?
Again, I don't think it's going to be right into the next battle. Time will pass enough for everyone to heal a bit. And slinging wildfire would be bad since it will also hurt the golden company and KL troops unless they all stay in the castle.

:robert baratheon growling voice:

OH SEVEN HELLS!!! :hot:  DO YOU LOT REALIZE THERE ARE 3 EPISODES/4+ HOURS OF THE SHOW LEFT!? WHICH **MAINTM** CHARACTERS WOULD YOU LIKE TO WATCH THE REST OF THE SHOW WITHOUT?! 

/rbgv

I personally wouldn't mind if they all make it to the final episode and let that be the swansong for everyone. It would make for a riveting, gut-wrenching hour of entertainment. 

Regarding the darkness which I see was hammered on for 10 pages now, I accepted within the first minute that that's how most if not all of this episode was going to be and it was 100% done on purpose. If it hadn't, you wouldn't have felt frustrated and stressed; you know, like the characters who were about to face the biggest battle of their lives. That's exactly what the producers wanted. They wanted you in that moment. The quiet (and dark) before the storm. It was chaotic. It was stressful. It was intense. It was perfect. 

I cannot wait to go back and watch it again (with the brightness turned up, to see what Easter eggs I missed the first time). 

yeah this was disappointing,  certainly it could of happened during the fight in the castle.  does brienne need to live more than Jorah?  Podrick,  tormund , grey Worm? now it's a 3 way between dany, Jon, and Cersei,  all other characters are disposable,  except jaime or Tyrion to kill Cersei.
You probably need Sansa alive as the Queen of the North to add a continuing tension to whomever wins the Game of Thrones.  The wheel can't be broken.

Again, I don't think it's going to be right into the next battle. Time will pass enough for everyone to heal a bit. And slinging wildfire would be bad since it will also hurt the golden company and KL troops unless they all stay in the castle.
I am sure they could devise a strategy to launch Wildfire at the dragons. 

Users who are viewing this thread