What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (3 Viewers)

You probably need Sansa alive as the Queen of the North to add a continuing tension to whomever wins the Game of Thrones.  The wheel can't be broken.
Got to have Jamie and Tyrion for the tension with Cersei. The Hound was needed to fight the Mountain. I thought for sure Brienne was going to die protecting Jamie. 

This is another one I think GRRM will handle differently in the books - just like we never really got the back story on why the Night King was attacking now, and why the connection to Bran - I felt like we never got a good accounting of what Littlefinger was ultimately hoping to accomplish with all of his scheming. The endings of both story arcs seemed very abrupt.
He was trying to be King.  He said it.  

does brienne need to live more than Jorah?  
In our "PC-grrrrrrrl pwr-MeToo-believe all women-the future is female" world, there's no chance you're taking out such a strong female character now.  The best you're going to get is an interesting female side-character crushed by a giant.

Even with that knowledge in my sub conscious, every single scene with Arya had me on the edge of my seat.

Great Episode.  I’m really sorry if you watched this episode and were disappointed.  This was the culmination of so many things.  I actually thought we’d see Jon Snow fight the night king.  

The dragon battle was pure awesome.  
It was fun. It was the main culmination of all the elements of the show that aren't some people's favorites. I think there are 2 camps of Thrones fans: the camp that likes it because of the fantasy, dragons, zombies, etc.  and the camp that likes it in spite of the fantasy, dragons, zombies, etc. There are a lot of people who really fell in love with the show for its human stories, the power struggle, the scheming, the gritty realistic Middle Ages-like portrayal of life, combat, etc. Those people aren't going to be overly excited about 80 minutes of CGI dragons, zombies and dragon zombies. 

also the dothraki charge while cool visually was really stupid, as is not fighting from behind the walls of winterfell from the beginning of the battle.  that is the purpose of a castle,  not to get swarmed by overwhelming numbers.  if nothing else use the dragons with the charge to try and blunt the numbers .  everyone goes to the Hollywood battle tactics school,  I guess.
Highly doubt armies of that size can fit inside Winterfell, let alone be useful inside the walls.  While I think the charge was not the greatest tactic, others have mentioned the Dothraki sitting back and waiting isn't such a great tactic either and I agree with that.  The Dothraki and Unsullied were basically the good guys version of the Wights in this battle.  Jon and company knew they'd mostly get slaughtered but I assume were hoping they'd thin out the Wight army along with the dragons.  

It was fun. It was the main culmination of all the elements of the show that aren't some people's favorites. I think there are 2 camps of Thrones fans: the camp that likes it because of the fantasy, dragons, zombies, etc.  and the camp that likes it in spite of the fantasy, dragons, zombies, etc. There are a lot of people who really fell in love with the show for its human stories, the power struggle, the scheming, the gritty realistic Middle Ages-like portrayal of life, combat, etc. Those people aren't going to be overly excited about 80 minutes of CGI dragons, zombies and dragon zombies. 
When this show started I told my wife she wouldn't like it because it's all dragons and boobs.  I think she likes the dang show more than I do now.

In our "PC-grrrrrrrl pwr-MeToo-believe all women-the future is female" world, there's no chance you're taking out such a strong female character now.  The best you're going to get is an interesting female side-character crushed by a giant.

Even with that knowledge in my sub conscious, every single scene with Arya had me on the edge of my seat.
You think that matters when the main hero of the episode was a woman? When the most powerful person for most of the show has been a woman? And the current queen set to defend her throne is a woman? 

Highly doubt armies of that size can fit inside Winterfell, let alone be useful inside the walls.  While I think the charge was not the greatest tactic, others have mentioned the Dothraki sitting back and waiting isn't such a great tactic either and I agree with that.  The Dothraki and Unsullied were basically the good guys version of the Wights in this battle.  Jon and company knew they'd mostly get slaughtered but I assume were hoping they'd thin out the Wight army along with the dragons.  
Not to mention that putting all of your armies and cavalry into one box with an Ice Dragon who has already taken down major portions of a 700 foot wall flying around may not be the best plan.   

Last edited by a moderator:
It was for the cool cinematic look, which was awesome. Also the Dothraki do 1 thing and that's charge in on horses and attack. Asking them to hide out behind a castle would be like signing Khalil Mack and asking him to just drop back into coverage every play. 

For those complaining about deaths, couldn't there be more?  I feel like there were a number of people who they did not show in the short cuts after the battle was over (but maybe I just could not see in the dark).

There could be a potential for off-screen deaths revealed next week, but I don't know if the producers would do that.

You think that matters when the main hero of the episode was a woman? When the most powerful person for most of the show has been a woman? And the current queen set to defend her throne is a woman? 
When the boardroom choice was either Jorah or Brienne, the choice was easy.  Every "creative" suit in a chair doesn't want to make any waves with their female viewers by turning this into a sausage fest.

For those complaining about deaths, couldn't there be more?  I feel like there were a number of people who they did not show in the short cuts after the battle was over (but maybe I just could not see in the dark).

There could be a potential for off-screen deaths revealed next week, but I don't know if the producers would do that.
I'm thinking there were a few down in the crypt that we didn't see

USA today made a quick little comment that it was bad visuals to place the armies "of color" --the unsullied and the dothraki at the front of the lines, to get killed.

I guess no one wanted to tell this lady that those were the BADDEST Fighters of them all and it really isn't racist when you add that piece to it?

Nope..This is where we live now.

In the finale, what's left over of the northern army is being torn up by the King's Landing army and mercenaries. Bran takes his rightful place as the new NK, and raises all the dead from that battle and that's enough to turn the tide. Once Cersi is dead and the new king or queen is on the throne, NK/Bran part ways and head back behind the wall and the historic cycle resets itself. 

Book it! 

USA today made a quick little comment that it was bad visuals to place the armies "of color" --the unsullied and the dothraki at the front of the lines, to get killed.

I guess no one wanted to tell this lady that those were the BADDEST Fighters of them all and it really isn't racist when you add that piece to it?

Nope..This is where we live now.

They weren't really the baddest fighters though. They got annihilated. If they had 500 Samwells  and Podericks then they would all still be alive. 

After watching more and thinking, 'I have an answer that works for me.

The group of deado's that ignored Jon, were the personal force the NK was gonna use to break thru to Bran.

The group of deado's swarm'n Dany & Jorah were another force dedicated to Project Mayhem.

Best I can do.

EDIT: OK - maybe - maybe the dead were try'n to swarm Jon, but it was hard for me to see. Perhaps this has all just been my poor view'n.
Probably because John is in the dead guy union too.  Gotta look out for union brothers.

In the finale, what's left over of the northern army is being torn up by the King's Landing army and mercenaries. Bran takes his rightful place as the new NK, and raises all the dead from that battle and that's enough to turn the tide. Once Cersi is dead and the new king or queen is on the throne, NK/Bran part ways and head back behind the wall and the historic cycle resets itself. 

Book it! 
What if Cersei wins the battle of the living? Jon, Dany, dragons, Arya, Sansa, all of them. Dead. Cersei remains with her ******* child en-womb. Closing shot is Bran stabbing himself in the chest with a dragonglass dagger. Blue eyes pop open. Fade to black. 

They weren't really the baddest fighters though. They got annihilated. If they had 500 Samwells  and Podericks then they would all still be alive. 
They were SUPPOSED to be though right?

Here's the quote by the way.    I mean REALLY?

The Winterfell strategy to put the people of color (the Dothraki and the Unsullied) on the front lines, where most of them died, was a poor choice by the writers, especially in a series with a bad track record in this area. 

The Winterfell strategy to put the people of color (the Dothraki and the Unsullied) on the front lines, where most of them died, was a poor choice by the writers, especially in a series with a bad track record in this area. 
Start a thread in the other forum maybe.

What if Cersei wins the battle of the living? Jon, Dany, dragons, Arya, Sansa, all of them. Dead. Cersei remains with her ******* child en-womb. Closing shot is Bran stabbing himself in the chest with a dragonglass dagger. Blue eyes pop open. Fade to black. 
Better than that - scene: Iron Throne; Cersei is sitting on the throne, we see her looking out at various people in the hall, we see a random guy in a Member's Only jacket walk behind the throne, then we see a shot looking out at the crowd again, then black screen.  "Don't Stop Believin''' playing in the background.

My issue was the Hollywooding it up and generally lazy writing.  Mostly that you make the dead tsunami overtake 10,000 screamers in 30 seconds, yet people like Sam are able to stay alive the entire episode.  Sam was taking on 20 at a time with a knife while rolling around screaming. 

If they didn't want to kill the stars, then don't make the dead army look so insanely dominant.  It was WAY to long and unorganized.  And Arya's scene should have been so much more sinister.  A good Arya scene could have brought some redemption to the writers imo.  Big let down for me.

The epilogue of the entire series was of the White Walkers and the Night's Watch dude that sees them and deserts.  Then we have the credits.  Literally the first scene after the first credits of the show we see Theon.  It's him and the Stark boys killing the deserter and finding the direwolves.  We also have 1 1/2 seasons where Theon had more screen time than anyone.  He was absolutely an A cast member and his death was huge.  Especially because he died defending his adopted brother and home.  Great redemption story.

Another character we meet in the first episode?  Jorah.  He pledges his life and allegiance to Dany there and now we see him giving that life to defend her.  Another big character death and an awesome death scene.

I don't downplay either of these.   Still, neither was an oh #### moment for me.  Would've enjoyed seeing Brienne dying to save Jamie only for her to be reanimated and seeing Jamie have to fight her.  Or having Arya/Jamie/Tyrion/Sansa/Dany/Jon/Bran get a surprise death scene.  That's what GRRM would've done and it's why this show was better in the first 4 seasons than it has been since.

Get out of here with this ####.  The Dothraki are light cavalry.  The Unsullied are a pike and shield formation.  What good are they inside the ####### castle?

My issue was the Hollywooding it up and generally lazy writing.  Mostly that you make the dead tsunami overtake 10,000 screamers in 30 seconds, yet people like Sam are able to stay alive the entire episode.  Sam was taking on 20 at a time with a knife while rolling around screaming. 

If they didn't want to kill the stars, then don't make the dead army look so insanely dominant.  It was WAY to long and unorganized.  And Arya's scene should have been so much more sinister.  A good Arya scene could have brought some redemption to the writers imo.  Big let down for me.
Would have been cool to see Ayra at least fight the Night king.....Show off her bad skills.  maybe the night king underestimates her and holds off his troops cause he wants a little one on one...Weak lame and lazy writing to say the least.   Went for full visuals(did well there) and completely crapped the bed on actual story quality.

This is another one I think GRRM will handle differently in the books - just like we never really got the back story on why the Night King was attacking now, and why the connection to Bran - I felt like we never got a good accounting of what Littlefinger was ultimately hoping to accomplish with all of his scheming. The endings of both story arcs seemed very abrupt.
What else do you need to know re: Littlefinger? He wanted power. As much of it as he could get. He wanted to be feared and respected and have the woman of his choice at his side.

The entire episode, quite intentionally, was the "oh ####" moment, for most anyway. For actual singular oh #### moments, those are coming. And they're going to be epic. And continuous. 

Or having Arya/Jamie/Tyrion/Sansa/Dany/Jon/Bran get a surprise death scene.  That's what GRRM would've done and it's why this show was better in the first 4 seasons than it has been since.
Oddly enough - of those listed, I think GRRM said in his original thoughts that Arya, Bran, Jon, Tyrion and Daenerys all made it to the end.

TV has set Sansa up to be the Lady of Winterfell, so she was not dying.  Jamie is the only one from that group who would have plausibly died in the battle if GRRM had written the final books.

What else do you need to know re: Littlefinger? He wanted power. As much of it as he could get. He wanted to be feared and respected and have the woman of his choice at his side.
Yep and the polar opposite of his rival Varys who genuinely had the best interest of the realm on his mind- maybe the only character in the show yet to do so. 

:shrug:   It just felt too abrupt at the time.  He went from being master manipulator to being a groveling fool in an instant, with no escape route.

I think in the books we would probably get more from him - in terms of his ambitions - than we got in the show.  He would have died in either event - and, honestly, I thought the show did as good a job with trying to set up the misdirection we came to expect from GRRM, by trying to make it look like Sansa had turned on Arya.

Users who are viewing this thread