Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
belljr

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory

38 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I think they tried to play this off as Euron's fleet was lying in wait on the other side of Dragonstone, and would have theoretically been blocked from view until they came around the island.  :shrug:

Right.  What Dany's side really needed and lacked was someone with a view from above.  :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok why didn't Cersei just execute all of them, especially Tyrion.  She promises Bronn a kingdom to go and kill Tyrion and then when she has the opportunity with dozens of archers on him, she doesn't do it.  They also could have used the spears/arrows on Danerys.  

Also, I know there were catapults and stuff but why couldn't Drogon come straight down onto Cersei,  kill all of them in that spot and then just take off?  Especially after Miss Andy was killed.  End the whole thing there.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Waingro said:

Yes, WTF. This probably upset me a lot more than it should have. 

Same with me, that kinda pissed me off. Ghost got his ### kicked for you and you can't even give him a hug goodbye? Bad form Jon of the North, bad form.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Scoresman said:

Ok why didn't Cersei just execute all of them, especially Tyrion.  She promises Bronn a kingdom to go and kill Tyrion and then when she has the opportunity with dozens of archers on him, she doesn't do it.  They also could have used the spears/arrows on Danerys.  

Also, I know there were catapults and stuff but why couldn't Drogon come straight down onto Cersei,  kill all of them in that spot and then just take off?  Especially after Miss Andy was killed.  End the whole thing there.  

Cersei killing Tyrion right there would be something they would have in Seasons 1-5. Not now, they want to wrap it up Hollywood style

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

If they did it better no one would whine. 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: 

• Like 1

That was disappointing.  I felt like I was watching the Walking Dead. Dany and her team are really bad at strategy.  I'll leave it at that.

They went over the top on the Dany ego power trip, too.

Brienne crying like that was super cringe-worthy. 

There was a lot I didn't like with this episode. I hope they land the ending. This season just seems off.

• Laughing 1

I thought the first hour or so they handled the post-war stuff really well.  

"I'm not afraid of a Wildling"

"Well maybe you should be."

If you didn't notice, in background as The Hound is sitting there getting hammered, Pod wanders off with TWO women.  Good stuff.  Was the one at the table next to him as Tormund left Alys Karstark?  It looked like her, but I was watching on my phone and it was tough to make out. 

Loved the Hound/Sansa convo.

• Like 8

So Varys is a goner for treason, right?  Will Tyrion rat out his old pal?

And it looks like I am the only one who thinks Jamie is not going south to kill Cercei.  He may end up doing it to stop her from murdering everyone in KL, but I don't think that is why he is heading down there.  He is addicted.

50 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Yep.   Mine started to fade when they came out with this lame 6 episode season and made us wait for years for it as well.

Then, the winter is coming thing turned out to be complete bunk.  Waste of time.

Spent 1/2 of this last episode at a drunken party.  

This is LOST all over again.   It's a shame.  

Uh, winter is still coming.  

• Like 1

I don't love where they're taking Jaime.  In both the books and the show, one of the most satisfying things is his evolution.  Taking him back to "I'm not a good person, and I'm hateful just like my sister" seems so inconsistent with where he's gotten to.  Why come north and be willing to die fighting next to all these people you don't like, then?  If you needed an excuse to get him back to KL, why have him stay in the first place?

I also didn't love the ambush by sea.  Done already and she should have been able to see that fleet from the air.  And the three straight shots to Rhaegal was a little much.  Like worm said, I'm not sure it was enough to ruin it for me.  Just seemed a little hokey.

Little doubt Dany goes full Fire and Blood now.  That's not going to sit well with Davos and Jon.  Conflict with Cersei, then conflict with them. 

Also, I wouldn't want to be the one on the other end of Gray Worm's spear now.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, badmojo1006 said:

Imagine this as a last shot. Dany and Drogon, both mortally injured.  She is flying into the Red Keep to kill Cersei. And she has her arms spread wide and eyes closed

And then Drogon opens up the trunk to his car and he has a machine gun built into the car!

Then the screen goes black.

• Laughing 2

27 minutes ago, Otis said:

Really stupid writing.  It’s just so unrealistic that someone would just give away their dog like that.

Would have been cooler if they used a pit bull, right?

6 minutes ago, zoonation said:

And it looks like I am the only one who thinks Jamie is not going south to kill Cercei.  He may end up doing it to stop her from murdering everyone in KL, but I don't think that is why he is heading down there.  He is addicted.

Agreed.  But he also knows she put a price on his head, so how does he think that's going to go well?

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If you didn't notice, in background as The Hound is sitting there getting hammered, Pod wanders off with TWO women.  Good stuff.  Was the one at the table next to him as Tormund left Alys Karstark?  It looked like her, but I was watching on my phone and it was tough to make out. 

Yeah, liked this whole sequence alot (minus the starbucks cup).  Made the obvious problems with the rest of the show more painful

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I don't love where they're taking Jaime.  In both the books and the show, one of the most satisfying things is his evolution.  Taking him back to "I'm not a good person, and I'm hateful just like my sister" seems so inconsistent with where he's gotten to.  Why come north and be willing to die fighting next to all these people you don't like, then?  If you needed an excuse to get him back to KL, why have him stay in the first place?

He's going to (try to) kill Cersei and his unborn child to save the kingdom - kingslayer to the end, doing the right thing while coming off as a villain. That's the ending to his story that makes the most sense to me. If they really go full circle, we'll find out Cersei's loaded up on the wildfire beneath the entire city again, and is more than willing to blow it all up once she realizes she's done - then Jamie saves the day, returning the daughter of the king he killed to the throne.

• Like 5

It wasn't perfect but I thought this episode was a coming back to form for the show.     I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zoonation said:

I'd say Tyrion is more likely to go down for treason than Varys - Daenerys already has expressed doubts about Tyrion's loyalty - particularly when it comes to Cersei - this latest fiasco won't help.

3 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

He's going to (try to) kill Cersei and his unborn child to save the kingdom - kingslayer to the end, doing the right thing while coming off as a villain. That's the ending to his story that makes the most sense to me. If they really go full circle, we'll find out Cersei's loaded up on the wildfire beneath the entire city again, and is more than willing to blow it all up once she realizes she's done - then Jamie saves the day, returning the daughter of the king he killed to the throne.

Ohhh!!!!    Tyrion will be on the executioner's table and Jamie will pull his executioner's hood off like they did in Bill and Ted's excellent adventure!!   And everyone will be SAVED!!!

Edited by supermike80

2 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Yeah, I don't think that's why he left.  Not with all those sentences ending in "for Cesei".

Might be where he ends up, though.  

Just now, supermike80 said:

Gotta add it will be some dramatic last second thing as well. He will pop up at JUST THE LAST SECOND to save the day.   He might die at the end too, cause that's lazy writing as well.  So why not right?

I do expect him to make his way back into her presence, and then some sort of confrontation between him and Euron in which Jamie ridicules Euron with the knowledge that the child in Cersei's belly is Jamie's and not Euron's. Could go a few different ways from there. I do enjoy snarky Jamie, so I hope we get one more scene's worth of that.

• Like 1

Another vote for another great episode. Minor whining is mostly ridiculous. 

I love that Arya said she won't be back. That really makes you wonder what she is up to or planning or thinking will happen. Since she is with Hound, I think it lends a lot of credence to the Hound going through the Mountain to get to Cersei with Arya right there. Jamie, and possibly Tyrion, will be there also so any are still options to take her out.

I love that Jamie is taking off and you don't really know for sure whether he is for or against Cersei. He had a chance at happiness but couldn't leave it alone. 

Interesting that Cersei didn't have Tyrion shot. That was a big moment. Too big to be a plot flaw, imo. My initial thought though is it comes back to haunt her like 'she had her chance back when he was at the wall.' 

I'm thinking Hound takes out Mountain.  Arya takes out Jamie who is defending Cersei. Tyrion gets Cersei. Varys takes out Dany somehow w Jon defending.

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, I don't think that's why he left.  Not with all those sentences ending in "for Cesei".

The show runners were ambiguous about it in the after-show interview. I think they said he was going “to” Cersei.  My read was that he was going to finish her off and continue his path of atonement, but I could see it playing out the other way as well. 

"Cersei is a lying whore, she's been ####ing Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know."

I think the books would prevent him from going back there for that alone.  But maybe not.  Maybe Euron serves that purpose in the show once he sees them.

I also like the Hound's line 'only 1 thing can make me happy'.  You are supposed to believe that 1 thing is killing his brother. That is straight forwards but maybe he's going to try to save him. Maybe that's the 1 thing. Or maybe it is dying. They spent a fair amount of time on Hound's redemption training with the religious group. Not going by Hound anymore. Joining Brotherhood. Saving things instead of destroying. Just an idea. Might be a crazy one, but I'd like to see him forgive his brother and try to save him.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, MikeMan said:

I also like the Hound's line 'only 1 thing can make me happy'.  You are supposed to believe that 1 thing is killing his brother. That is straight forwards but maybe he's going to try to save him. Maybe that's the 1 thing. Or maybe it is dying. They spent a fair amount of time on Hound's redemption training with the religious group. Not going by Hound anymore. Joining Brotherhood. Saving things instead of destroying. Just an idea. Might be a crazy one, but I'd like to see him forgive his brother and try to save him.

I always forget what a great character Sandor is until they give him another scene. Might be my favorite character on the show.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MikeMan said:

Oddly enough - the best way to "save" the Mountain is probably to kill him.

• Like 2

Was hoping we'd get some more backstory on the NK/three-eyed raven this episode, and exactly wtf Bran was doing. Was really hoping Bran would give some speech or explanation about how he's been setting it all up for this moment etc.  For the last ~6 seasons, we've seen Bran claim to be training for his upcoming battle with the NK, and they've been hinting at something significant coming from that. And for what? So he could sit around and do... nothing? 

The way they handled the undead army was completely pointless.  This whole series it's been about how them bickering over the throne, while ignoring the greater threat was going to be the end of them all, and now it's gone.  I'm ok with Arya being the one to finish the NK.  Her entire story was heavily linked to death and her becoming a super stealth assassin.  But now that that's over, then this episode they immediately go back to where they were, fighting over the throne.  So what was the point of the White Walkers then, if they just ended up being another stepping stone before they get to Cersei?  It's just lazy that they built up this giant force, that used to represent what would happen if people didn't give up their greedy power struggles, only to have it disappear, and ultimately leads to nothing as we're now back to exactly where we were without them.

"Ok, now that we've somehow manager to destroy this super powerful wizard-zombie and his horde of the undead, let's see if we can somehow manage to beat this old drunken lady and her stealth pirate"

I know GRRM has said that the series will end similar to LOTR, with the hobbits having to retake the shire, and maybe that's what is going on here? But it just feels like a lot of time spent building up characters for moments was just thrown away.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Spin said:

Was hoping we'd get some more backstory on the NK/three-eyed raven this episode, and exactly wtf Bran was doing. Was really hoping Bran would give some speech or explanation about how he's been setting it all up for this moment etc.  For the last ~6 seasons, we've seen Bran claim to be training for his upcoming battle with the NK, and they've been hinting at something significant coming from that. And for what? So he could sit around and do... nothing? 

The way they handled the undead army was completely pointless.  This whole series it's been about how them bickering over the throne, while ignoring the greater threat was going to be the end of them all, and now it's gone.  I'm ok with Arya being the one to finish the NK.  Her entire story was heavily linked to death and her becoming a super stealth assassin.  But now that that's over, then this episode they immediately go back to where they were, fighting over the throne.  So what was the point of the White Walkers then, if they just ended up being another stepping stone before they get to Cersei?  It's just lazy that they built up this giant force, that used to represent what would happen if people didn't give up their greedy power struggles, only to have it disappear, and ultimately leads to nothing as we're now back to exactly where we were without them.

"Ok, now that we've somehow manager to destroy this super powerful wizard-zombie and his horde of the undead, let's see if we can somehow manage to beat this old drunken lady and her stealth pirate"

I know GRRM has said that the series will end similar to LOTR, with the hobbits having to retake the shire, and maybe that's what is going on here? But it just feels like a lot of time spent building up characters for moments was just thrown away.  

Well they left the take back of the shire out of the movies....so there ya go

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

It still is the greatest spectacle ever put on TV but my disappointment is because I thought the first 4ish season were great art and as good as TV could ever be. 

i watched the entire 7+ seasons to current in 2 weeks.   Never once felt disappointed in any of it.    Even if its predictable today, its still way better than anything else i could watch on TV

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Spin said:

The production really got painted into a corner when they ran out of books to work off of. I don't think this is exactly how it would have been written, and it appears they haven't found/developed another screen writer who could fully complete/realize Martin's vision. It's still a good show, but maybe not all it could have been if they'd had complete source material (freely admitting that the source material itself wasn't perfect).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If you didn't notice, in background as The Hound is sitting there getting hammered, Pod wanders off with TWO women.  Good stuff.  Was the one at the table next to him as Tormund left Alys Karstark It looked like her, but I was watching on my phone and it was tough to make out. 

No, that wasn't Alys Karstark, but someone a little older and much prettier.

I hadn't noticed her and Pod in the background approach the girl that the Hound just rebuffed and Pod putting a smile right back on her face. Thanks for pointing it out. 

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I also didn't love the ambush by sea.  Done already and she should have been able to see that fleet from the air.  And the three straight shots to Rhaegal was a little much.  Like worm said, I'm not sure it was enough to ruin it for me.  Just seemed a little hokey.

Little doubt Dany goes full Fire and Blood now.  That's not going to sit well with Davos and Jon.  Conflict with Cersei, then conflict with them. 

Also, I wouldn't want to be the one on the other end of Gray Worm's spear now.

Count me in as another who doesn't get all of the love for this episode. Too many characters doing things out of character. The whole Jamie/Brienne thing didn't work for me, especially after he left so suddenly. Danerys suddenly going semi-crazy and more megalomaniac (after all she's been through previously). I liked the Arya scenes, those were the highlight. Cersei has Tyrion dead to rights but doesn't have the bowmen mow him down? You can't have the dragon circle behind the boats and fry them? I thought it was one of those weaker, set me up for next week types of episodes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, culdeus said:

The material science is pretty rough here. I get it.  Fantasy and all that. But I mean a bow that could hurl something like that would splinter wood or it would have no stopping power about 50m out.  

Really?  We are okay with dispensing realism with dragons, zombies, magic, etc but not a giant crossbow?

Btw, roman ballistas could fire over a 1000 yards.  In fact, london had a defensive arrangement similar to kings landing.

The largest ballistae of the 4th century could throw a dart further than 1200 yards (1,100 m). The weapon was named ballista fulminalis in De Rebus Bellicis: "From this ballista, darts were projected not only in great number but also at a large size over a considerable distance, such as across the width of the Danube River."[8] Ballistae were not only used in laying siege: after ad 350, at least 22 semi-circular towers were erected around the walls of Londinium (London) to provide platforms for permanently mounted defensive devices.[9]

And at the Salarian Gate a Goth of goodly stature and a capable warrior, wearing a corselet and having a helmet on his head, a man who was of no mean station in the Gothic nation, refused to remain in the ranks with his comrades, but stood by a tree and kept shooting many missiles at the parapet. But this man by some chance was hit by a missile from an engine which was on a tower at his left. And passing through the corselet and the body of the man, the missile sank more than half its length into the tree, and pinning him to the spot where it entered the tree, it suspended him there a corpse.[11]

Edited by rascal
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It's just the best seeing his momentary glee at hearing how Sansa gave Ramsay what he deserved: "Hounds."

• Like 6

2 hours ago, eoMMan said:

My questioning it wasn't so much about the time it took him....it was more about how he was allowed into Winterfell.  Doesn't everyone know he's with Cersei's army?  Why just let him wonder in?

and with a giant, ornate crossbow. but it still gave us more bronn with both brothers, where he's usually at his best. any scene with those three is going to be worth watching, even if the setup is wonky.

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

I think they tried to play this off as Euron's fleet was lying in wait on the other side of Dragonstone, and would have theoretically been blocked from view until they came around the island.  :shrug:

I know you're shrugging, so not pot-committed, but... if she can't see them from the air, how are they supposed to see her first, and then take the time to set sail and get their crossbows perfectly aimed? 

again- I have no problems with them taking out a dragon- and actually liked that they did, as they've had time to revise and rework those crossbows. but it was the was way this was written that felt weak, which is made especially evident when so much has been so strong. I've spent most of these seasons not contemplating these kind of writing issues because they're usually minor and not plot-driving. for me, they started popping up more with the bronn/jamie dive into the knee-deep for horses, bottomless for diving, river to escape the dragon fire. since then, there's been a handful more TWD writing problems that I find distracting.

36 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

lol- didn't notice pod with two women... saw him wander off with the one. 

sansa and the hound have developed into my two favorite characters- loved to see that scene and how it played out. tormund gets the easy laughs, but the hound is right there with him, but gets to play a fuller, more developed character... amazingly well.

loved seeing him ride out with arya- another great scene that's setting us up for the remainder of the season.

35 minutes ago, zoonation said:

I do think tyrion has to rat him out, and varys ends up dying by friendly hands. another fantastic scene watching that play out and watching tyrion go through the varied thoughs- is dany going bad, wtf does he do about john, where should he be aligned... dinklage killed it- yet again. will be sad to see varys go if it ends up that way- an amazing character and actor.

20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

he did all those things for cersei. but I still believe he's realized all those things are horrible (and said as much), including the realization that she's sent Bron to kill him. I think he's going after cersei to kill her, not get summadat,  and knows he's a dead man for doing it- which is why he's tried to be a #### to the lady of tarts, to get her to more easily get over him. 

15 minutes ago, MikeMan said:

interesting. I never gave a thought to the mountain being redeemed and kinda like it... would be a little like luke turning darth vader on the emperor and might be interesting. I do think another method of redemption, or at least saving, is just ending his life as a re-animated monster. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badmojo1006 said:

Anybody else go from "Really excited before the season started" to "Just finish the damn thing"?

My excitement is fading

I do think this season would be better if released Netflix-style. Let people finish on their own schedules without forced weeklong stoppages.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Spin said:

I think it was bostonfred who broke down the NK/three-eyed raven thing and bran....  at least for the episode and scene in the castle. the second the NK sees bran's ravens, he starts a full-out assault on the castle, including flying in himself. so bran, as bait, lured the NK in. otherwise he'd have stayed safe from harm pulling the undead strings until everybody in the castle was dead.

I actually like that the living went back to bickering- felt appropriate to the heart of series, and not lazy or pointless to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoresman said:

why didn't miss sandy just grab cersei and pull her off the wall with her.

problem solved

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

I do think this season would be better if released Netflix-style. Let people finish on their own schedules without forced weeklong stoppages.

I love the wait. also love the community and discussion the weekly episodes develop. 

season-long drops kill that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, krista4 said:

I just re-watched with Mr Krista (by the way, could understand Missandei this time on her last word).  At Gendry’s proposal, he said, “Is this just the episode where everyone’s heart gets broken?”  And it is.  Gendry. Grey Worm. Dany. Brienne. Tormund.  Even Ghost.

I have a friend whose boyfriend proposed at the beginning or during halftime (don’t remember) of a Pistons game.  Had a couple of players help him with it, PA announcer, spotlights, everything.  She said no, in front of thousands of people.  It was still less awkward than Gendry’s proposal.

Whoa.  I've been present for a few very-public proposals such as this I always wondered if this had ever actually happened (because I had never seen it). Apparently it had.  Crazy - that's gotta be soul-crushing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I havent caught up on this thread yet but just finished and my only question is why didnt Dany simply fly around behind the ships and burn them up?  All  of the crossbows were on the front aimed one direction, same with the red keep.  That was almost Walking Dead level bad.

But they kept insinuating the the dragon is going to toast Kings Landing so maybe it is being implied that he can fly behind the defenses or even attack at night.

Varys is going to get himself burnt up.

38 minutes ago, belljr said:

I was really hoping for a full Brienne shot tbh... :unsure:

Google Brienne naked. And yes, it's real.

My total guess for the finale in a couple of weeks is that Jon ends up killing danys as she is going to far and burning too many people up.  They have hammered the point home throughout the series about how the Targeryons are obsessed with fire and all of them turn out crazy.