What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (4 Viewers)

Great drama in the episode, but not understanding the massive crossbows utility.  Earlier, they couldn't come close to hitting a dragon until it was nearly directly on top of them and even then, it barely sank into the dragon's shoulder.  Now, they apparently have a range of 1/2 mile or more and are the most accurate thing ever invented and can blow a dragon's head off?  Cersei's head of engineering deserves a raise.

Also, who's the traitor.  No way for Euron to be waiting at Dragonstone unless someone informs them that Dany is on her way..... also she's a pretty terrible recon agent.  She has dragons that can fly hundreds of feet in the air and allow her to see for miles, yet Euron still gets the drop on her?   Terrible.
Euron has to be the worst part of the show. Seemingly everywhere with new fleets every time. Remember when Yara took off with all the boats and Euron magically built a whole new fleet of way more powerful ships in a few weeks? Now this where he’s somehow tucked away such that neither dragon nor Dany sees the threat?

Also, did they invent a Gatling gun crossbow the way there tore everything apart in seconds? Too bad they didn’t do that with dragon glass. NK and all the wights gone in 60 seconds.

Stephen King via Facebook:

Suppose--just suppose, now--that Jon and Dani BOTH died (along with Cersei, of course). Suppose--just suppose--that a certain little man with a big heart ended up sitting on the Iron Throne?

Of course for years some people have told me I don't know how to end a story. I call bull#### on that, but everyone has an opinion.
I thought Varys' comment could have just as well related to Tyrion as Jon.

My favorite scene was the one with Varys and Tyrion. Made me realize how wrong I’ve viewed Varys the entire series. 

This episode was way better than the battle IMHO, but the scene at KL didn’t sit well with me. I don’t see what Cersei had to lose by executing everyone there, especially considering she just sent Bronn to kill Tyrion

Drogon is 200 yards behind Dany’s group the whole time. You shoot him or her, and the queen is likely charcoal right there. 
Not buying that one since that didn't stop them from chopping Missandei's head right off the wall.  Queen wasn't charcoal, battle wasn't even on.

Arguable that Tyrion is more important than her friend Missandei.  Not like this biotch has a ton of friends in the realm.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many times will this will Dany lose dragons flying them too low? 
And how were dragons so powerful back in the day?  Nobody knew how to use a crossbow?  Thousands of previous military never thought of doing anything other than running away?  

The story is just getting dumb as they fumble on the goal line here.  Melrose Place Westeros indeed.  And I actually liked the last episode.  But this one was awful.  Tyrion’s lost his cunning mind faster than Dany has lost her dragons.  

The night king smirking?  Really?  Crossbows?  Why not somebody discovers a 30-06? Probably more plausible than crossbows hitting a moving target 10 feet wide at 1000 yards while on a moving ship that is going to fast it caught a whole fleet by surprise. SMDH.  

And how were dragons so powerful back in the day?  Nobody knew how to use a crossbow?  Thousands of previous military never thought of doing anything other than running away?  

The story is just getting dumb as they fumble on the goal line here.  Melrose Place Westeros indeed.  And I actually liked the last episode.  But this one was awful.  Tyrion’s lost his cunning mind faster than Dany has lost her dragons.  

The night king smirking?  Really?  Crossbows?  Why not somebody discovers a 30-06? Probably more plausible than crossbows hitting a moving target 10 feet wide at 1000 yards while on a moving ship that is going to fast it caught a whole fleet by surprise. SMDH.  
Euron is the worst character in the show (don’t know the books). Everything he does is cartoonish and it’s like they use him to get to a point because no one likes him and it doesn’t ruin a character.

This episode might have been my least favorite this season because of him. They volleyed off a hundred arrows in seconds to destroy a fleet of ships and yet they didn’t just do that and take out both dragons?

I can live with the NK’s accuracy because well he’s magical as ####. Euron, sorry. And of course now King’s Landing has a bazillion of them. Almost like they wanted the dragons to be meaningless. Whoever said that it’s silly that the dragons weren’t used to scout things out is correct.

Euron is the worst character in the show (don’t know the books). Everything he does is cartoonish and it’s like they use him to get to a point because no one likes him and it doesn’t ruin a character.

This episode might have been my least favorite this season because of him. They volleyed off a hundred arrows in seconds to destroy a fleet of ships and yet they didn’t just do that and take out both dragons?

I can live with the NK’s accuracy because well he’s magical as ####. Euron, sorry. And of course now King’s Landing has a bazillion of them. Almost like they wanted the dragons to be meaningless. Whoever said that it’s silly that the dragons weren’t used to scout things out is correct.
He's a small part of the books.  If I recall correctly, he molests Theon or some other kid in the books in a flashback.  

I agree with everything you've said here.  NK, it was like wow, but plausible. 
Crossbows at long range?  :bs:  
Tyrion hiding in the crypts, that are full of dead people? :bs:
Messandei being captured after going belowdecks on a ship that sunk :bs:

The best military minds of the north running their entire cavalry blindly into the walkers?  :bs:  

Ghost surviving the cavalry charge :bs:

Just lazy writing or rushing or whatever.  What's next, it's all a dream in a Giant's eye?  

FWIW - I didn't see her go below, but do remember greyworm yelling at her to get in a skiff. If she did, it's likely she wouldn't have ended up on the same beach as the others and could have been captured.
Oh gotcha, I missed that.  I had to watch it quietly as the tv is right on the other side of the wall from my kid's bed.  I thought he told her to go belowdecks.  

Oh gotcha, I missed that.  I had to watch it quietly as the tv is right on the other side of the wall from my kid's bed.  I thought he told her to go belowdecks.  
Acknowledging my hearing loss means I watch a lot of shows (the ones with important dialogue) with cc on.

I read an article that pointed out how overpowered Euron is and how underpowered the Dragons seem to be.

Interesting episode title: The Last Stark

Jon is a Targaryen, Arya is no one, and Bran is a bird. 

Leaving Sansa as the last remaining Stark. 

unless we see him complete his villain turn. he's said for a long time he's not Brandon Stark any more, and the 3 eyed raven may have other motives...
There might be something to this. I don’t think we necessarily have to trust that Bran is working in the best interest of the Starks. He might be more aligned to Vary’s agenda though. He’ll act in the best interest of the realm, even if it means goin against his family. I hope we get more from Bran in the final episodes cause I am mostly confused with his role. 

I don't think they do by name.  4 people remove army pieces from the map.  Grey Worm and Jon speak ("half are gone").  The other 2 are silent, one looks like a Dothraki warrior removing all his army.  We saw a few Dothraki run back towards Winterfell, so there could be a few survivors.
they did, just found it: https://youtu.be/9WfMBItXNTE?t=189

But just "the remaining" Dothraki, so doesn't imply any numbers, so yeah, probably just the few that retreated I suppose.  

Also like how Jon had the Unsullied with him and Grey Worm moved his piece back over to Dany's spot. 

This episode was way better than the battle IMHO, but the scene at KL didn’t sit well with me. I don’t see what Cersei had to lose by executing everyone there, especially considering she just sent Bronn to kill Tyrion
Still scratching my head on this as well. Aside from Jon & a dragon, you wipe out about half of the enemies marching on your castle to unseat you. Strategically it makes no sense to let them walk and it also goes against Cersei's character.

So what do you think it looked like after Missandi lost her mind? Picture it, Tyrion shrugs his shoulders, shakes his head and walks back to Dany & crew? They all kinda mill around a little not making eye contact with Greyworm and then just slowly disperse? Didn't sit well with me either. A better ending to the show would have been to take Tyrion out as well. Turn the little ####er into a pincushion right after Missandi. Now THAT would be GoT of old.

Just finished E04.  Perhaps it's just my mood, but this entire season has felt lifeless, like they're just going through the motions.  
Well they kinda are. GRRM bailed so they are playing out the string. That spoof video posted earlier about Dany kinda sorta forgetting about the magically rebuilding Iron Fleet was perfect. I don't feel like that happens in the books...if they existed of course.

soooo...remember this pre-season promo? we still haven't seen this scene yet as of 8.4

Let's see... of note, that I caught, we have:

-Tyrion's Hand pin (right?)

-the chain on the wagon wheel (Dany's, right?)

-Jon's sword

-Needle

-Jamie's metal hand

-Bran's wheelchair

-a feather

ETA: of course, it could always just be a throw away scene for the trailer; they've done that before too

GRRM is the biggest failure of this series. Book 6 was due when, 2013 or something? And, it’s not even out yet? He is like Gendry rowing about except his boat is the money train. I doubt he finishes his seven books that he supposedly planned. 

I'll spoiler since some like to avoid trailers/teasers, even old, official ones

We also haven't seen the scene from this pre-season trailer showing Dany in the Iron Throne room which has been demolished (from above, it appears).

Again, this could be cut scenes though, and may not be anything substantial. Could also be a dream sequence I suppose as Dany is wrestling with her identity. 

I'll spoiler since some like to avoid trailers/teasers, even old, official ones

We also haven't seen the scene from this pre-season trailer showing Dany in the Iron Throne room which has been demolished (from above, it appears).

Again, this could be cut scenes though, and may not be anything substantial. Could also be a dream sequence I suppose as Dany is wrestling with her identity. 
That is from season 2....her visions in the house of the undying

GRRM is the biggest failure of this series. Book 6 was due when, 2013 or something? And, it’s not even out yet? He is like Gendry rowing about except his boat is the money train. I doubt he finishes his seven books that he supposedly planned. 
I dont think he had a good plan to end the series actually....he prettg much had a great 3 novels....then threw arya and tyrion across the sea

Still scratching my head on this as well. Aside from Jon & a dragon, you wipe out about half of the enemies marching on your castle to unseat you. Strategically it makes no sense to let them walk and it also goes against Cersei's character.

So what do you think it looked like after Missandi lost her mind? Picture it, Tyrion shrugs his shoulders, shakes his head and walks back to Dany & crew? They all kinda mill around a little not making eye contact with Greyworm and then just slowly disperse? Didn't sit well with me either. A better ending to the show would have been to take Tyrion out as well. Turn the little ####er into a pincushion right after Missandi. Now THAT would be GoT of old.

Well they kinda are. GRRM bailed so they are playing out the string. That spoof video posted earlier about Dany kinda sorta forgetting about the magically rebuilding Iron Fleet was perfect. I don't feel like that happens in the books...if they existed of course.
They didnt kill tyrion because hes giving cersei info....his betrayal is about to be revealed

I read an article that pointed out how overpowered Euron is and how underpowered the Dragons seem to be.
He’s honestly the person I wish was never in the show. Going from shipless to having a fleet of ships 10x stronger than what probably took that island decades to build in a fortnight and then being a dead eye with a crossbow Gatling gun when Bronn couldn’t hit a dragon and couldn’t reload in time to save his crossbow.

He is like watching a cartoon when you’ve got so much time invested in characters so well developed. It does cheapen the entire show. I’ll look past it, but he’s my GOT’s Scrappy Doo.

soooo...remember this pre-season promo? we still haven't seen this scene yet as of 8.4

Let's see... of note, that I caught, we have:

-Tyrion's Hand pin (right?)

-the chain on the wagon wheel (Dany's, right?)

-Jon's sword

-Needle

-Jamie's metal hand

-Bran's wheelchair

-a feather

ETA: of course, it could always just be a throw away scene for the trailer; they've done that before too
Seems like they were just trolling YouTubers. 

He’s honestly the person I wish was never in the show. Going from shipless to having a fleet of ships 10x stronger than what probably took that island decades to build in a fortnight and then being a dead eye with a crossbow Gatling gun when Bronn couldn’t hit a dragon and couldn’t reload in time to save his crossbow.

He is like watching a cartoon when you’ve got so much time invested in characters so well developed. It does cheapen the entire show. I’ll look past it, but he’s my GOT’s Scrappy Doo.
Yeah euron sucks.....but dany would just wipe them out with 3 dragons....now its a fair fight....

Dislike for Euron aside (the Hound would use a very colorful name on him)...it isn't the same scorpion that Bronn had.  It has been upgraded over time it seems.  And I don't think he is all that accurate...they fired a ton of them into the sky hoping to hit.  Id argue more about the lethality at that distance than the accuracy of 2 bolts hitting the target out of 30+ fired into the sky at an area.

And the reload speed...I don't think it was that big of a deal either.  Bronn was trying to do it himself.  There are a bunch of guys on every one of those ships that can help.  And as we saw early with Joffrey talking about how quick he can now reload his crossbow...and we see Bronn quickly reload the crossbow in this episode...IMO that is a misguided criticism.

Ugh.  It's a pretty immature perspective to think that it's only a redemptive arc if another character explicitly says they're a good person.  I honestly don't know how you could have watched that episode thinking that Melisandre was less of a redeemed hero in the end than Theon was.  The actual words being used to express it in Theon's case made sense because of the personal relationship of the characters, not because he was a man.

It's almost like the author completely ignores Daenerys vs Jon.  Which of those two characters has exhibited more moral complexity?  Jon is the "boring" one, isn't he?

And no mention of Yara, who was both redeemed as someone who once also ransacked the North (just more off screen) and whose sexual behavior is right up there with Theon's.
Exactly. It also skips past how many strong women are in or were power in this world. Dany, Elena, Cersei, Yara, Sansa, or are straight up badasses, Brienne and Arya. And pretty much all of these got there by their actions and will not by birth right. Devouring their own here. 

Dislike for Euron aside (the Hound would use a very colorful name on him)...it isn't the same scorpion that Bronn had.  It has been upgraded over time it seems.  And I don't think he is all that accurate...they fired a ton of them into the sky hoping to hit.  Id argue more about the lethality at that distance than the accuracy of 2 bolts hitting the target out of 30+ fired into the sky at an area.

And the reload speed...I don't think it was that big of a deal either.  Bronn was trying to do it himself.  There are a bunch of guys on every one of those ships that can help.  And as we saw early with Joffrey talking about how quick he can now reload his crossbow...and we see Bronn quickly reload the crossbow in this episode...IMO that is a misguided criticism.
It took two bolts to kill the first dragon. There were no misses until Dany saw them and suddenly it needed to be less accurate or the battle’s already over.

Reload speed was ridiculously fast on the ships. On Dany’s dragon there were multiple ships firing at her. There were a lot more ships after she flew away and it seemed like every ship was taking dozens of shots every second. Tyrion was running and bolts were hitting all around him when he went only a few feet. It wasn’t just a single one it was taking the boat apart with a second or two between them. I still think the speed and accuracy was well beyond a simple improvement and it got Michael Bay’d up taking two shots to kill one dragon then losing accuracy then having machine gun like qualities to take apart all the ships in seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread