What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (6 Viewers)

Yeah euron sucks.....but dany would just wipe them out with 3 dragons....now its a fair fight....
True. I just wish it wasn’t Euron and it was more imaginative. He just pops up and massive shifts happen with no background at all. I would have rather Bronn led a team of mercs up there for a sneak attack like Ramsey did to screw up Stannis. It’s almost like they’ve created this Euron character to be an almost unstoppable force to even things out. 

He's a small part of the books.  If I recall correctly, he molests Theon or some other kid in the books in a flashback.  

I agree with everything you've said here.  NK, it was like wow, but plausible. 
Crossbows at long range?  :bs:  
Tyrion hiding in the crypts, that are full of dead people? :bs:
Messandei being captured after going belowdecks on a ship that sunk :bs:

The best military minds of the north running their entire cavalry blindly into the walkers?  :bs:  

Ghost surviving the cavalry charge :bs:

Just lazy writing or rushing or whatever.  What's next, it's all a dream in a Giant's eye?  
Or Jon Snow will wake up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette

Last edited by a moderator:
True. I just wish it wasn’t Euron and it was more imaginative. He just pops up and massive shifts happen with no background at all. I would have rather Bronn led a team of mercs up there for a sneak attack like Ramsey did to screw up Stannis. It’s almost like they’ve created this Euron character to be an almost unstoppable force to even things out. 
Euron is a badass.  He's meant to be an almost unstoppable force.  He's sailed places most wouldn't dare and seen things few others have seen.  He's made and spent a fortune along the way and collected incredibly rare and unthinkable artifacts.  But the show never bothered to put in the time and effort to let us know these things.  The fault is really less in the things Euron is doing than the way they introduced him.

Dislike for Euron aside (the Hound would use a very colorful name on him)...it isn't the same scorpion that Bronn had.  It has been upgraded over time it seems.  And I don't think he is all that accurate...they fired a ton of them into the sky hoping to hit.  Id argue more about the lethality at that distance than the accuracy of 2 bolts hitting the target out of 30+ fired into the sky at an area.

And the reload speed...I don't think it was that big of a deal either.  Bronn was trying to do it himself.  There are a bunch of guys on every one of those ships that can help.  And as we saw early with Joffrey talking about how quick he can now reload his crossbow...and we see Bronn quickly reload the crossbow in this episode...IMO that is a misguided criticism.
My biggest problem is that if the ships could see Dani and the dragons then Dani should have been able to see them first and from farther away.

Also never using Bran to go back in the past a few days and see what Cersei has been up to.

Or talking to Arya to get her opinion on if she thinks she can take out Cersei. 

Euron is a badass.  He's meant to be an almost unstoppable force.  He's sailed places most wouldn't dare and seen things few others have seen.  He's made and spent a fortune along the way and collected incredibly rare and unthinkable artifacts.  But the show never bothered to put in the time and effort to let us know these things.  The fault is really less in the things Euron is doing than the way they introduced him.
He’s Scrappy Doo in the show. It’s a shame if he’s going to be this important to the ending and he’s a cartoon. Just imagine this, what if Euron’s character killed the NK? On Cersei’s crew he’s almost at the same level as Arya’s kill of the NK. He’s done levels of importance that only Arya, Dany and the magical, purveyor of the undead guy have done.

He was basically introduced as Ramsey of the sea.

Mario Kart said:
GRRM is the biggest failure of this series. Book 6 was due when, 2013 or something? And, it’s not even out yet? He is like Gendry rowing about except his boat is the money train. I doubt he finishes his seven books that he supposedly planned. 
I've never thought he would finish the books and held off on watching the show because of that (until too many people recommended it)

stbugs said:
He’s Scrappy Doo in the show. It’s a shame if he’s going to be this important to the ending and he’s a cartoon. Just imagine this, what if Euron’s character killed the NK? On Cersei’s crew he’s almost at the same level as Arya’s kill of the NK. He’s done levels of importance that only Arya, Dany and the magical, purveyor of the undead guy have done.
Yeah show euron sucks....

Hilarious that one of the creators reasons behind Dany being ambushed by the Iron Borne is that she forgot about them.
While she's sailing to Dragonstone - in their ships. Also, she has access to one of the best sailors/smugglers on the planet - and they send him off on horse back with Jon rather than have him advance scout on the ocean, or at least run the fleet.

Mile High said:
My biggest problem is that if the ships could see Dani and the dragons then Dani should have been able to see them first and from farther away.

Also never using Bran to go back in the past a few days and see what Cersei has been up to.

Or talking to Arya to get her opinion on if she thinks she can take out Cersei. 
I have come to the conclusion that bran is never going to do anything helpful  with his powers and am hoping his screen time is little to none in last two episodes.  What a worthless character  he has turned into.

I have come to the conclusion that bran is never going to do anything helpful  with his powers and am hoping his screen time is little to none in last two episodes.  What a worthless character  has has turned into.
Night king bait......might as well if had the nk stab him...then arya stab the nk

stbugs said:
And he would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling Stark kids.  

Benioff and Weiss should probably just throw every internet-enabled device they have into the ocean (or just shoot a gigantic 200 mph harpoon into them from 800 feet away) and go move into the mountains. This doesn't seem like it is or will be very fun for them.

that is something that has always fascinated me about this series - Essos, in many ways, seems more civilized and populated than Westeros.  Why is that?
Ask George. Also, Essos is huge, has a wide variety of social structures.

I was half expecting Arya or some other representative to head back over there and make a deal with the Iron Bank to cut off Cersei's funds, as it seems clear she's a loser long term, maybe take a loan out themselves and buy off the Golden Company. But there's not time for that in the show now.

that is something that has always fascinated me about this series - Essos, in many ways, seems more civilized and populated than Westeros.  Why is that?
No snowbillies in Essos.

It's older.  It was settled first.  Bigger. More diverse. Valaryia was there and that was center of the universe.

It'll actually probably get even more awesome than Westeros now that the Dothraki are gone. 

Ask George. Also, Essos is huge, has a wide variety of social structures.

I was half expecting Arya or some other representative to head back over there and make a deal with the Iron Bank to cut off Cersei's funds, as it seems clear she's a loser long term, maybe take a loan out themselves and buy off the Golden Company. But there's not time for that in the show now.
Now that people can teleport, there may be enough time, the show only needs 5 minutes to settle that. 

culdeus said:
He was basically introduced as Ramsey of the sea.
I thought the show actually did a pretty good job giving appropriate background to Ramsey. Euron, not so much. As Bob Sac mentioned above, and from what I've heard from other sources, Euron is a much bigger deal in the books and so the notion of him taking down a dragon isn't a huge stretch.  It's just us show viewers weren't given anything other than the initial fratricide. I don't see why Euron couldn't have had some scene in Essos when Dany was over there or been referenced to or something. 

Yeah using Bran to warg into ravens to scout Kings Landing would make way too much sense.
Or just, you know, "hey Bran can you peer into the future a bit for us and give some suggestions?"

ETA: or ####### explain why the above isn't possible.  I'll take either one as they're way better than having this seemingly all-knowing being sit there in a near comatose state. 

Or just, you know, "hey Bran can you peer into the future a bit for us and give some suggestions?"
I think he can only see in the past, but still, what was going on yesterday  or 5 minutes ago would have been helpful. 

ETA: or ####### explain why the above isn't possible.  I'll take either one as they're way better than having this seemingly all-knowing being sit there in a near comatose state. 
I thought Bran can only see the past and not the future.  Either way, him explaining his powers to Jon, Arya, and Sansa should have happened a long time ago.  

I think he can only see in the past, but still, what was going on yesterday would have been helpful. 
I thought there was some suggestion that he could see into the future. 

Regardless, our discussion here exemplifies one of my biggest gripes with the show in that it has just butchered the Bran character (along with Euron and the children of the forest). 

I thought the show actually did a pretty good job giving appropriate background to Ramsey. Euron, not so much. As Bob Sac mentioned above, and from what I've heard from other sources, Euron is a much bigger deal in the books and so the notion of him taking down a dragon isn't a huge stretch.  It's just us show viewers weren't given anything other than the initial fratricide. I don't see why Euron couldn't have had some scene in Essos when Dany was over there or been referenced to or something. 
We've seen euron kill the greyjoy guy, we've seen him argue to be made king, get dunked underwater and say he wants to murder his remaining family, he was able to get an island of boat building people to build much better boats than they've ever built before, he's got unlimited information, knowing that cersei wanted the sand snakes alive to torture them,  knowing where they would be so he could destroy the previous best ships from the iron islands, knowing where to hide from the dragons that was on their route but not visible from the air, and we have seen him act like a water taxi, cut his crew mates tongues out with his only explanation being that someone lost a card game, he asked jamie if cersei liked a finger in her bum, pretended to be scared of zombies, and we saw him successfully beg for sex. I'd say we've seen a lot of euron. Too much even. 

We've seen euron kill the greyjoy guy, we've seen him argue to be made king, get dunked underwater and say he wants to murder his remaining family, he was able to get an island of boat building people to build much better boats than they've ever built before, he's got unlimited information, knowing that cersei wanted the sand snakes alive to torture them,  knowing where they would be so he could destroy the previous best ships from the iron islands, knowing where to hide from the dragons that was on their route but not visible from the air, and we have seen him act like a water taxi, cut his crew mates tongues out with his only explanation being that someone lost a card game, he asked jamie if cersei liked a finger in her bum, pretended to be scared of zombies, and we saw him successfully beg for sex. I'd say we've seen a lot of euron. Too much even. 
Now that the show has made him seem invincible, I expect him to die in some stupid way next.

Waingro said:
Interesting episode title: The Last Stark

Jon is a Targaryen, Arya is no one, and Bran is a bird. 

Leaving Sansa as the last remaining Stark. 
Joh is as much Stark as he is Targ.

Thunderlips said:
Dany dies.  Jon becomes King.  Jon appoints Tyrion and says he's to sit on the Iron Throne until he comes back.  Jon goes North; above the wall....and doesn't come back.

Fin. 
I really like this. and everyone thinks Jon will be back soon, but every few months he sends a raven with some excuse...

- "Tormund is having a birthday party next month. gonna stay a little longer."
- "stuck in traffic. promise I'll be back soon."
- "omg I left my wallet in the Vale. gotta go back for it."

I really like this. and everyone thinks Jon will be back soon, but every few months he sends a raven with some excuse...

- "Tormund is having a birthday party next month. gonna stay a little longer."
- "stuck in traffic. promise I'll be back soon."
- "omg I left my wallet in the Vale. gotta go back for it."
:pttr:

No snowbillies in Essos.

It's older.  It was settled first.  Bigger. More diverse. Valaryia was there and that was center of the universe.

It'll actually probably get even more awesome than Westeros now that the Dothraki are gone. 
:goodposting: This video (ignore the thing on the right at the :07 mark) gives a pretty thorough breakdown on why Essos at least seems more civilized. It's been populated by all the major rulers of the ancient world where as Westeros is kinda the spinoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyjHq4HJGs4

Now that the show has made him seem invincible, I expect him to die in some stupid way next.
I think he dies fighting Jamie over Cersei or vice versa but leaning more toward Euron biting it. They've made him into a super villan, he'll have Jamie on the ropes then Jamie will pull some cool, honorable knight #### and slice his throat wide open. Book it!

Users who are viewing this thread