Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
belljr

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory

On 5/15/2019 at 8:30 AM, Payne said:

I know I am in the minority, but I did not like it as much. Against the WW, her dragon seemed to have limited fire capabilities. Now here he is lighting the city on fire like no tomorrow. I have issues with the pace and timing of everything. Feels so rushed and forced. I just didn't care for it.

This was far from the best the series has offered. 

While I know there are people that will defend everything in the show, I think these things are part of why this season has had such low ratings and bad reviews. Two dragons and the barely make a dent in the NK army but one dragon destroys a fleet of ships armed with anti-dragon weapons (that killed the one who didn’t do much against the NK army), blows up another city full of anti-drago weapons and the entire city of way more “enemies” and does it in what seemed like less time.

It’s like using episode 2 to get us all sad for what’s to come and nobody except Jorah dies in the epic battle. We see the bravery of the Dothraki riding right into the dead and maybe a few horses come back and the Unsullied stay outside to help the retreat and the dead easily get in and two episodes later it seems like none of them died. 

It just seems like they do what the need to close out the episode and get people where they need to be for the final episodes but act like we don’t notice they are been very inconsistent.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Buckychudd said:

He's right you know.

You're both just karma-seeking angle shooters.

On 5/12/2019 at 10:59 PM, Daywalker said:

They could do a roast of jon snow.

Dany would be really good at that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stbugs said:

While I know there are people that will defend everything in the show, I think these things are part of why this season has had such low ratings and bad reviews. Two dragons and the barely make a dent in the NK army but one dragon destroys a fleet of ships armed with anti-dragon weapons (that killed the one who didn’t do much against the NK army), blows up another city full of anti-drago weapons and the entire city of way more “enemies” and does it in what seemed like less time.

It’s like using episode 2 to get us all sad for what’s to come and nobody except Jorah dies in the epic battle. We see the bravery of the Dothraki riding right into the dead and maybe a few horses come back and the Unsullied stay outside to help the retreat and the dead easily get in and two episodes later it seems like none of them died. 

It just seems like they do what the need to close out the episode and get people where they need to be for the final episodes but act like we don’t notice they are been very inconsistent.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/14/game-of-thrones-bells-ratings-record/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Isn't that views, not how people would grade the show?

He said low ratings so I thought he was talking about viewers

28 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

:lol:

440K signatures.

for the record, my sig is not anywhere in those 440K. I was just passing it along for all the complainers

Didn't the dragons kinda get nerfed in 8.02 because of the storm that follows the NK?  They also had another dragon to deal with.  Two completely different battles on completely different landscapes.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bobcat10 said:

Didn't the dragons kinda get nerfed in 8.02 because of the storm that follows the NK?  They also had another dragon to deal with.  Two completely different battles on completely different landscapes.

Yep....but people will complain about everything

Man i wish they would hurry up and get dany to westeros

Going too fast!!!+

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sho nuff said:

My complaint remains it was all just rushed.  And a huge misuse of Headey this season.  Barely on screen at all.  Varys did almost nothing til last episode too.

really should have had season 7 go 9-10 episodes and end with the Battle of Winterfell.  Then could even make people happy by building up the final siege a bit. 

Speaking of Varys in the scene where he was talking to one of his little birds about Dany not eating - he was trying to poison her, right?

3 minutes ago, Scott Tenorman said:

Speaking of Varys in the scene where he was talking to one of his little birds about Dany not eating - he was trying to poison her, right?

yes

Saw an interesting theory that makes good sense, on how GoT history could repeat itself and come full circle:

A “mad” Targaryen was in charge: Aerys → Daenerys

A Stark is taken prisoner: Lyanna Stark is “stolen” → Dany accuses Sansa of treason (or Jon, even)

The Starks and Baratheons team up to rebel: Ned + Robert → Jon/Sansa/Arya + Gendry

A Lannister will betray the ruler to deal the finishing blow: Jaime → Tyrion

A Baratheon ends up on the Iron Throne: Robert → Gendry

:tinfoilhat: :popcorn: 

• Love 1
  • Thinking 4

38 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

This may have already been mentioned, but on the inside the episode segment (which itself is amazing and a must watch) they compared it to the fire bombings of Dresden in WW2. 

1 hour ago, need2know said:

yes

I disagree. I think he was just keeping an eye on her. And not eating and just pouting all by herself was just more ammo for his thoughts that she was going nutso

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Saw an interesting theory that makes good sense, on how GoT history could repeat itself and come full circle:

A Stark is taken prisoner: Lyanna Stark is “stolen” → Dany accuses Sansa of treason (or Jon, even)

The Starks and Baratheons team up to rebel: Ned + Robert → Jon/Sansa/Arya + Gendry

Not enuff time!!!!!!!

Were Rhaegar and Elia's children explicitly named in the show? I have something percolating.

Edited by hagmania

3 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

You know I’m talking about this:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/s08

Worst reviews of the show by far. Of course Neilsen ratings are great. It’s the final season of a hugely successful and well received (until this year) show. Who is going to turn it off with 6 episodes in the final season? It took more than one bad season for TWD’s ratings to suffer. No chance less people would watch the last season with only 6 shows total. 

5 hours ago, leave a whisper said:

once the ravens start to arrive with news of Jon being the rightful king, Sansa (with Northern Army) & Tormund travel south to help Jon ?

also - Jon kills Dany,  and then Arya uses her face to get close to Drogon & kills him (leads him close to a scorpion) ?

Arya kills Drogon.....and then uses HIS face to get near HER! 

14 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You know I’m talking about this:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/s08

Worst reviews of the show by far. Of course Neilsen ratings are great. It’s the final season of a hugely successful and well received (until this year) show. Who is going to turn it off with 6 episodes in the final season? It took more than one bad season for TWD’s ratings to suffer. No chance less people would watch the last season with only 6 shows total. 

True but I don't put any stock in what some reviewers on RottenTomatoes are saying.   I am enjoying it

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hagmania said:

Were Rhaegar and Elia's children explicitly named in the show? I have something percolating.

Oberyn kind of ran it into the ground that the Mountain killed them.

6 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

True but I don't put any stock in what some reviewers on RottenTomatoes are saying.   I am enjoying it

Right, that is DanyNation crushing those polls on popular sites.  On my tv show app, 75% of the people said it was "great" or "wow".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I’m enjoying it as well, but I also notice the stuff that didn’t really happen before. At the battle of the bastards another 50% of the wildings didn’t just materialize to save them, another army did. I honestly can’t understand how there are any Dothraki or Unsullied left. They literally showed us all of them outside the gates and getting snuffed out early and we saw inside Winterfell overrun so wouldn’t the people outside be decimated not just “half left”? I’m fine with a bunch more northerners because we saw some houses that stayed home and we saw them retreat inside so there should be more of them but now it seems like Dany’s army is by far the largest and that makes no sense.

Doesnt mean I won’t enjoy the show. Lots of cool #### but the story and magically changing results does take a little off the top of what was my favorite show of all time.

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’m enjoying it as well, but I also notice the stuff that didn’t really happen before. At the battle of the bastards another 50% of the wildings didn’t just materialize to save them, another army did. I honestly can’t understand how there are any Dothraki or Unsullied left. They literally showed us all of them outside the gates and getting snuffed out early and we saw inside Winterfell overrun so wouldn’t the people outside be decimated not just “half left”? I’m fine with a bunch more northerners because we saw some houses that stayed home and we saw them retreat inside so there should be more of them but now it seems like Dany’s army is by far the largest and that makes no sense.

Doesnt mean I won’t enjoy the show. Lots of cool #### but the story and magically changing results does take a little off the top of what was my favorite show of all time.

If I had a complaint it would have been the war with the dead.    That should have been an entire season or at the very least the first half of this season.   Unfortunately there is so much you can do in 6 episodes so they had to squeeze it into one which sucks but I am not dwelling on it.

• Like 2

Just realized I had a stronger reaction to Selina Meyer _____ing ______ in the finale then Dany burning everyone up. :shrug:

38 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Oberyn kind of ran it into the ground that the Mountain killed them.

Yes. I'm pretty sure he named them, instead of just mentioning "Elia's children."

1 minute ago, hagmania said:

Yes. I'm pretty sure he named them, instead of just mentioning "Elia's children."

"You raped her, you killed her, you murdered her children!"  I don't recall him naming them ever.

37 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

If I had a complaint it would have been the war with the dead.    That should have been an entire season or at the very least the first half of this season.   Unfortunately there is so much you can do in 6 episodes so they had to squeeze it into one which sucks but I am not dwelling on it.

I agree. I actually didn’t mind the outcome at all, but it just seemed to be over so damn quick and felt like it really wasn’t a big deal at all. I sort of had a hangover for the last two episodes because the NK and that whole story line was so built up and so key that I almost didn’t care what happened afterwards. All the nightswatch and WW scenes throughout the show felt a little cheaper by feeling like it was over in a few minutes.

The destruction of KL was almost the same way. The Golden Company and Euron/his fleet were almost laughable arcs based on the what happened.

I’m not sure I really care much about who sits on the throne and that kind of sucks. I shouldn’t be bothered by seeing Dany act like she’s the ruler because her army is so huge because we talked about how she felt insignificant because she sacrificed so much and Jon and Arya got the love. Then we get a preview as if she’s still got her entire armies. If two young dragons just randomly appear I am going to feel like I’m watching Beerfest and I really hope people get the analogy. I’ll explain if not. 

15 minutes ago, unckeyherb said:

"You raped her, you killed her, you murdered her children!"  I don't recall him naming them ever.

The thought is that perhaps Jon Snow is a proxy for some of the Young Griff (aka "Aegon Targaryen") arc. In the books, it seems clear Daenerys is on a collision course with fAegon, who is probably going to be loved as a king. If you split Young Griff into two, one part being a ruler in King's Landing (Cersei) and the other being a clearly beloved individual (Jon), it just kinda ties up all neat and nice.

50 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Just realized I had a stronger reaction to Selina Meyer _____ing ______ in the finale then Dany burning everyone up. :shrug:

I'm way behind on Veep - who?

So sad they completely Dextered GOT. Had potential to be best show ever and instead rushed the story line and made all the characters have low iq all of a sudden.

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

If I had a complaint it would have been the war with the dead.    That should have been an entire season or at the very least the first half of this season.   

Omg that would suck. Was boring enough for 90 minutes. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Wayyyyyyyyy to much creativity for this writing duo.

Edited by supermike80

4 hours ago, the moops said:

I disagree. I think he was just keeping an eye on her. And not eating and just pouting all by herself was just more ammo for his thoughts that she was going nutso

Maybe if the writing was better that would be clear.  ;)

Just watched from the tolling of the bells again....it gets better each time for me.

I'm gonna miss this show.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Just watched from the tolling of the bells again....it gets better each time for me.

I'm gonna miss this show.

Agreed.  While a few criticisms are valid about this season, the over the top criticism from many is just making me laugh. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Agreed.  While a few criticisms are valid about this season, the over the top criticism from many is just making me laugh. 

It really is getting absurd...

16 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Son of a Flea Bottom whore with zero proof and no witnesses to his lineage becomes king of the realm.  That’s hopefully too much for even these writers. 

4 hours ago, Maik Jeaunz said:

It really is getting absurd...

Is there a threshold for how many criticisms we are allowed for the season? 

14 hours ago, Capella said:

Omg that would suck. Was boring enough for 90 minutes. 

If they just stretched out the one episode into 3 or more I would agree but I am not talking about the battle itself.   It would have been good to build up the terror a bit,  with survivors from outposts reporting of the atrocities.  Maybe a few rogue white walkers making their way into Winterfell before the major battle, wreaking havoc and ratcheting up the fear of Dany's army, maybe some deserters being turned into walkers after being tortured by the NK and returning to Winterfell as zombies.

Kings Landing was basically ignored in the first half of this season.  It would have been good to see Cersei getting reports of the NK's advances and preparing for the possibility of the Dead's victory.   I would have liked to see the drama of Jaime's return to Winterfell go a little longer, perhaps put into jail to stew a bit and Cersei getting reports that he is on trial.

It just seemed to me that the entire show was the coming of the dead and to have it over in one night was a bit rushed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Are you seriously enjoying this season? This is the worst season by far. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

I personally am :shrug:

• Like 3

As rushed as it feels, and despite the criticisms I've had, I still don't think this is the worst season.  I will take all of this over all the Bran dragged through the forest, Dany chilling in Essos, Sand snakes, and Ramsey torture stuff we had not too long ago.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hagmania said:

I can't imagine its possible to take this path with only one episode left.

43 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Of course I am. Is it as great as the early seasons? No, but it’s not an issue. It’s still really good, a few quibbles aside. 

Edited by Ghost Rider