What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (3 Viewers)

I mean, I'm not one of these super nerds that's gonna troll these guys in social media or go yell at them at comic Con.....but man they really botched that last season (really the last 2, for the most part).

So if they never get the reins to anything cool again, I'm kinda ok with that.

Game of thrones was my favorite show of all time and I haven't even been tempted to rewatch any of the last season even once.  So much of it made no sense and the fact that they basically rushed it for something that they've now basically been fired off of is pretty much karma IMO.

I mean, I'm not one of these super nerds that's gonna troll these guys in social media or go yell at them at comic Con.....but man they really botched that last season (really the last 2, for the most part).

So if they never get the reins to anything cool again, I'm kinda ok with that.

Game of thrones was my favorite show of all time and I haven't even been tempted to rewatch any of the last season even once.  So much of it made no sense and the fact that they basically rushed it for something that they've now basically been fired off of is pretty much karma IMO.
We now know it was rushed because they had zero clue what to do without the source material. I can just imagine them going he let’s do something like the Shwarma scene in Avengers because all the fans care more about the characters than the story (wrong). It’s the same thing that derailed TWD. They felt the characters were number 1 so they built scripts around them instead of keeping it gritty and real and realizing that these aren’t soap operas/character driven shows.

I blame George for not getting off his ### and finishing it and letting these guys destroy our favorite show. I haven’t had any desire to rewatch it at all. Knowing where it ends kind of kills any desire. I don’t know if I even care about any spin-offs if the same people are involved. When left to their own devices, they were terrible. 

Sucks the source material ran out. These people are idiots and they completely ####ed up what should have been an epic finish with stupid decisions. 
I'm not sure I would say they are idiots. I don't really know what these guys did, but the first several seasons were pretty great.  What we know now (and maybe I'm the only one that didn't know this before), is that HBO encouraged them to spend some money on real writers, and they declined.  They decided they could write the final seasons themselves, with some help from their "assistant."  They felt "they had to make it their own."  They thought the scope of the saga was "too big" to boil down and understand, but say "the show was about power."

We know from the past 10-15 years in film that big budgets are used to make effects, epic sets, and CGI.  That's what works, and makes money, but its hard to make something special without paying good writers.  These guys were pretty good at the screenwriting or adaptation when they had the books, and that is a pretty rare skill, but they aren't good writers.  They had good actors, great sets and effects, but didn't have good writers.

I'm not sure I would say they are idiots. I don't really know what these guys did, but the first several seasons were pretty great.  What we know now (and maybe I'm the only one that didn't know this before), is that HBO encouraged them to spend some money on real writers, and they declined.  They decided they could write the final seasons themselves, with some help from their "assistant."  They felt "they had to make it their own."  They thought the scope of the saga was "too big" to boil down and understand, but say "the show was about power."

We know from the past 10-15 years in film that big budgets are used to make effects, epic sets, and CGI.  That's what works, and makes money, but its hard to make something special without paying good writers.  These guys were pretty good at the screenwriting or adaptation when they had the books, and that is a pretty rare skill, but they aren't good writers.  They had good actors, great sets and effects, but didn't have good writers.
Idiots is obviously a bit of an exaggeration (coming from an upset fan seeing his favorite show of all time go down the ####ter) but you sure can say that they fell apart without the books. Kind of like people who can memorize things well and get good grades but any of type of problem solving confounds them.

We now know it was rushed because they had zero clue what to do without the source material. I can just imagine them going he let’s do something like the Shwarma scene in Avengers because all the fans care more about the characters than the story (wrong). It’s the same thing that derailed TWD. They felt the characters were number 1 so they built scripts around them instead of keeping it gritty and real and realizing that these aren’t soap operas/character driven shows.

I blame George for not getting off his ### and finishing it and letting these guys destroy our favorite show. I haven’t had any desire to rewatch it at all. Knowing where it ends kind of kills any desire. I don’t know if I even care about any spin-offs if the same people are involved. When left to their own devices, they were terrible. 
I don't buy this. Some of the best episodes were filmed after the source material ran out, and anyone who has read the books knows the source material was #### for just about everything after Season 4 of the show. 

Their problem was getting lazy and wanting to move on. They admit to this, so we don't really need to dig deep and look for other answers. The show sucked the last two seasons because they no longer wanted to do it, and HBO didn't have the guts to take it away from them. HBO wanted more episodes and offered them the budget, but they said, "nah, we'll just wrap 2-3 seasons worth of material in 13(?) episodes."

So they never knew what they were doing. Lucked out with great actors and crew, and when they ran out of source material they were kind of ####ed. 
Man I didn't get that at all :lmao:

:goodposting: That's where I'm at. No desire to go back.

I blame George for not getting off his ### and finishing it and letting these guys destroy our favorite show. I haven’t had any desire to rewatch it at all. Knowing where it ends kind of kills any desire. I don’t know if I even care about any spin-offs if the same people are involved. When left to their own devices, they were terrible. 
I think I've said it before, but I wish George had just dropped any pretense of trying to finish the books and taken over the writing of the show.  It was the only way we were going to get any kind of satisfying ending.   

I don't buy this. Some of the best episodes were filmed after the source material ran out, and anyone who has read the books knows the source material was #### for just about everything after Season 4 of the show. 

Their problem was getting lazy and wanting to move on. They admit to this, so we don't really need to dig deep and look for other answers. The show sucked the last two seasons because they no longer wanted to do it, and HBO didn't have the guts to take it away from them. HBO wanted more episodes and offered them the budget, but they said, "nah, we'll just wrap 2-3 seasons worth of material in 13(?) episodes."
I’ll believe you because I never read the books. The difference/drop off was so drastic. It’s disappointing to think they just got tired of it and didn’t care. Also, too bad HBO didn’t take it back over. I would have waited another year to get a real last season.

I think it can be both. 

None of us know the details of all this, so IMO it's hard to put the hard blame on any one person involved.  Seems like an epic #### up all around.  

I get the sentiment of the bolded if part of the deal was that he promised the 6th and 7th books to be done by the time they needed them.  If not, I am not sure why it was his show to save or if he would have had the power to do it anyway.  Supposedly he gave them an outline of what the series was heading towards.  I think more fault lies with whoever had the power to force the issue and hire actual writers and chose not to go down that path.  In the end I think all involved saw the ratings going up, the money pouring in, and really didn't care a ton beyond that.  

I guess I don't know how deals and shows like this work.  Did HBO have no power to force this issue?   Basically tell them they wanted 3 more seasons at least, and if they don't do it they will go a different direction?  Or did they get some iron-clad sweet deal from the get-go where they had total control over this?

https://www.cnet.com/news/hbo-game-of-thrones-prequel-with-naomi-watts-isnt-happening-reports-say/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0b

Big news from the Game of Thrones universe. Multiple media outlets, including Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter, are reporting that HBO will not be making the Game of Thrones prequel starring Naomi Watts and Josh Whitehouse. We'll update with any official comment from HBO as soon as we receive it.

The show was set far earlier than Ned Stark days, with a focus on the first battle between man and the first White Walkers.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

:rant:

I guess I don't know how deals and shows like this work.  Did HBO have no power to force this issue?   Basically tell them they wanted 3 more seasons at least, and if they don't do it they will go a different direction?  Or did they get some iron-clad sweet deal from the get-go where they had total control over this?
It would seem the easiest answer would be they trusted them when they said they didn't need more episodes or time. Considering the budget and ever increasing payroll, I doubt it was an answer which was received poorly.

It would seem the easiest answer would be they trusted them when they said they didn't need more episodes or time. Considering the budget and ever increasing payroll, I doubt it was an answer which was received poorly.
If that was the case, why would HBO have been asking them for more seasons?  

Yeah, if they want this franchise to survive, the next installment needs to be an absolute slam dunk. Lots of dragons blowing stuff up is the safest bet

Yeah, if they want this franchise to survive, the next installment needs to be an absolute slam dunk. Lots of dragons blowing stuff up is the safest bet
If this was the case, why was it so wildly popular for the first few years? I would argue great characters and dialogue, not zombies and dragons.  So the safest bet might actually to give a #### about those 2 things again and get away from the zombie kidnapping quests.  

How many of the spinoffs are still left in development? At one time they had like 5 or 6 different ones all going.

Going back to the Targ conquest could be really good if they hire some actual writers this time. Especially if they work in the mystery of what the hell happened to Valyria somehow.

If this was the case, why was it so wildly popular for the first few years? I would argue great characters and dialogue, not zombies and dragons.  So the safest bet might actually to give a #### about those 2 things again and get away from the zombie kidnapping quests.  

For the hardcore fans of the show? Sure.

For the unwashed masses that made it a megahit (and weren't really all that turned off by the ending)....they'll tune in for the big splashy stuff.  

I'm talking about the people who don't know most of the characters names.

EC has to get over it.  Keeps trying to relive her GOT fame.  Unfortunately for her she has probably peaked professionally.

Peaked by a mountain

For the hardcore fans of the show? Sure.

For the unwashed masses that made it a megahit (and weren't really all that turned off by the ending)....they'll tune in for the big splashy stuff.  

I'm talking about the people who don't know most of the characters names.
If anyone watched this show for the last decade, they know enough names.

So many larger than life characters developed and so many story lines with each.

Even if they don't remember off the top of their heads names like Joffrey or Ygritte.. they can tell you these stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's this coming from?
I can't figure it out either.  Emilia Clarke is about the most likable celebrity in the world (Tom Hanks and her are 1a and 1b) and doesn't shy away from GoT or her role on it, which she gets asked about constantly.  As for peaking professionally, I would say it safe to say that most of the major actors on that show will never equal or top their GoT role, so that is not necessarily a bad thing.  I would definitely concede that Clarke is certainly a bit of a mark for her GoT character, as she clearly gets a big kick out of "Khaleesi" or "bend the knee" references, but I think that's just her personality.  She is adorably hilarious and silly and has no problem playing along with the references for the fun of it.  In a world of people who take themselves too seriously, her relaxed, down-to-earth attitude is a breath of fresh air. 

I can't figure it out either.  Emilia Clarke is about the most likable celebrity in the world (Tom Hanks and her are 1a and 1b) and doesn't shy away from GoT or her role on it, which she gets asked about constantly.  As for peaking professionally, I would say it safe to say that most of the major actors on that show will never equal or top their GoT role, so that is not necessarily a bad thing.  I would definitely concede that Clarke is certainly a bit of a mark for her GoT character, as she clearly gets a big kick out of "Khaleesi" or "bend the knee" references, but I think that's just her personality.  She is adorably hilarious and silly and has no problem playing along with the references for the fun of it.  In a world of people who take themselves too seriously, her relaxed, down-to-earth attitude is a breath of fresh air. 
💯 

My comment is in that she is now reliving her challenges with nude scenes - which I am sympathetic too - but time to move on career wise.  Time to talk about the present - but she has like nothing going in the present

My comment is in that she is now reliving her challenges with nude scenes - which I am sympathetic too - but time to move on career wise.  Time to talk about the present - but she has like nothing going in the present
She is only reliving it because in her PRESENT projects, she says she is pressured for nudity because of her GoT past.

She doesn't seem to be the one with issues moving on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen her on shows and listened to a couple podcasts - and she is willing to talk about GOT b/c that is what people want to ask about, but also talks about her upcoming movie (Last Christmas, I think?) and her desire to get back to theater which is more of a passion for it seems.  

Except for a film that is doing well at the box office so far this month (top 5 its first two weeks), right? 

She was just in Solo last year. That was a huge movie. Maybe she’s just taking a break. 

You mean answering the questions she was recently asked specifically about them on Dax podcast?

She didn't just come out of the blue complaining :shrug:

And she has a movie that just came out, has been doing plays and just ended another movie....

:unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread