What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (6 Viewers)

Here's something that's been bothering me since I saw the last episode. The fight between The Hound and Brienne seemed extremely forced and contrived, unlike nearly everything else that has happened in this series, There didn't seem to be any point to it other than to kill off The Hound and get Arya to go to Bravos.
Yeeeahhhh....there's a reason why it seemed forced and contrived.

I'm gonna read the first 3 books now. I think I'm safe to do so at this point and not risk too many spoilers for any future seasons.

godspeed
I started the first book this weekend as well, through 250 pages or so.
So...what are your impressions of the book so far? Has it fleshed out any particular story line for you? (Granted, the first 250 pages probably don't vary much from the first five episodes of the first season.)
Like you say, it hasn't varied much in terms of the story itself, but because the chapters are written focused on individual characters, you get a deeper look into what they're thinking. Some characters that seem to fade into the background a lot during the show (at Castle Black, for example) seem to be more fleshed out/prominent in the early going as well.

I'm gonna read the first 3 books now. I think I'm safe to do so at this point and not risk too many spoilers for any future seasons.

godspeed
I started the first book this weekend as well, through 250 pages or so.
So...what are your impressions of the book so far? Has it fleshed out any particular story line for you? (Granted, the first 250 pages probably don't vary much from the first five episodes of the first season.)
Like you say, it hasn't varied much in terms of the story itself, but because the chapters are written focused on individual characters, you get a deeper look into what they're thinking. Some characters that seem to fade into the background a lot during the show (at Castle Black, for example) seem to be more fleshed out/prominent in the early going as well.
Book 1 and season 1 follow pretty closely. You will get better backstory and inner thoughts/motivations. The next books are where the show diverges.

Here's something that's been bothering me since I saw the last episode. The fight between The Hound and Brienne seemed extremely forced and contrived, unlike nearly everything else that has happened in this series, There didn't seem to be any point to it other than to kill off The Hound and get Arya to go to Bravos.
Unpack this?

Unpack this?
it is not like it is in the books

I binge watched all the Breaking Bad episodes right before the finale. It was great not having to wait to find out what happened next.

Koya said:
PS - Just whipped through the four seasons in about 10 days. Fun stuff.
I binge watched all the Breaking Bad episodes right before the finale. It was great not having to wait to find out what happened next.

For those interested in the awards. GoT gets 19 Emmy nom's: STATUES

On a side note, the Best Actor category is just completely stacked with amazing performances in great shows.

Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad

Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Woody Harrelson, True Detective
Matthew McConaughey, True Detective
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards

The General said:

On a side note, the Best Actor category is just completely stacked with amazing performances in great shows.

Jon Hamm, Mad Men

As good as true detective was, this should be unanimous for Cranston.

The General said:

Jon Hamm, Mad Men

I think McConaughey takes it. Cranston already has two or three, TD was more recent, and MM was just f'n spectacular.

The General said:

Jon Hamm, Mad Men

I'd probably go Cranston as well. But, McConaughey, Woody, Hamm, and Spacey were/are so good in those roles. Haven't seen Newsroom but all these shows are better then any movie I have seen that I can think of in the past couple of years.

Dinklage probably a favorite for supporting and Lena Headey is so good at playing her character.

You'd think GoT probably will sweep anything dealing with art, costumes, sound, etc (if the Emmy's have those categories).

For those that don't like spoilers you probably don't want to click on this link.

Game of Thrones Casts Eight New Characters
I don't think that's a spoiler. There's no plot info and the names are largely meaningless to TV only people.
Right. I saw an article last year saying they cast the"Red Viper". I all I thought was, "he sounds cool". That certainly isn't a spoiler that GoT will be adding cool new characters, they do every year.

Not really a spoiler, I have never read the books, just thought these 2 characters sound bad ### and hot

the Sand Snakes — the hot-blooded and vengeful ******* daughters of Oberyn Martell

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that don't like spoilers you probably don't want to click on this link.

I don't think that's a spoiler. There's no plot info and the names are largely meaningless to TV only people.
Right. I saw an article last year saying they cast the"Red Viper". I all I thought was, "he sounds cool". That certainly isn't a spoiler that GoT will be adding cool new characters, they do every year.

Not really a spoiler, I have never read the books, just thought these 2 characters sound bad ### and hot

the Sand Snakes — the hot-blooded and vengeful ******* daughters of Oberyn Martell
Oberyn doesn't look old enough to have adult kids. But I guess they start screwing early in Dorne.

Right. I saw an article last year saying they cast the"Red Viper". I all I thought was, "he sounds cool". That certainly isn't a spoiler that GoT will be adding cool new characters, they do every year. Not really a spoiler, I have never read the books, just thought these 2 characters sound bad ### and hot

the Sand Snakes the hot-blooded and vengeful ******* daughters of Oberyn Martell
Oberyn doesn't look old enough to have adult kids. But I guess they start screwing early in Dorne.Easily in his 40's. :shrug:

The guy who is cast to play Doran Martell's real name is Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi

The guy who is cast to play Doran Martell's real name is Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi
I know a guy from high school with that same name. Looking into it a little deeper it's just a different Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi. Small world it seems.

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) — "Game of Thrones" addicts, begin the countdown: HBO's series is returning in April.The cable channel said Thursday that 10 episodes of "Game of Thrones" will show during its fifth season that begins April 12. Also returning that day are the comedies "Silicon Valley" and "Veep."

The last 2 episodes of S4 will be coming in late January to select IMAX theaters along with the trailer for the new season. They haven't announced which theaters yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread