What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** NFL International Football Thread *** (1 Viewer)

I wonder what additional taxes the athletes will pay to play in Great Britain. It can't be low.
Top tax rate is 45% which anyone not on NFL minimum would pay on the majority of their income. Also sales tax of 20%.

I suspect you will see a higher salary cap for any London team.

People can say the NFL isn't popular in the UK but I say don't overlook the nationalism aspect. People in the UK would love having a British team that defeats Americans at their own game. Can you imagine the insanity if a British team were to win the Super Bowl?

People can say the NFL isn't popular in the UK but I say don't overlook the nationalism aspect. People in the UK would love having a British team that defeats Americans at their own game. Can you imagine the insanity if a British team were to win the Super Bowl?
You are right, but Americans still have scoreboard over British.

I think that the NFL's big picture would be to add a Europe division where those teams play each other 4 games a season and then will take a 2 to 3 game road trip in-between those games to cut down on travel.

Europe Division

London

Berlin

Paris

Madrid

Now if London is a decade a way...this is probably like a 30 year plan, but they want to move into Europe. I just don't think it will be that successful. M

The suggestion that people in the UK don't like NFL is simply not true. There's decent numbers of people who do.

That still doesn't change the fact that I think a UK team would be a mistake

Sounds like an idea for a quick cash grab that will blow up in their face.

Who the hell is going to want to get drafted and live oversees, doing all that travelling? And did I mention live oversees??

They would really have to do like 4 games on the road, 4 at home, 4 on the road, and 4 at home. Could you imagine the travel otherwise??

WHy does the greatest sport every have to keep making itself worse with more stupid rules and now teams in England? More money in the short term, sure. I guess that is always cool for people who wanna retire early and don't give a F about what happens 10-20 years down the line.

Maybe all this attention & focus the league is spending on London could be spent trying to get a team into the only London sized market in this country currently without a team.

As a UK based NFL fan I have zero desire for a team to be based here.
That's the way I feel as well. It's AMERICAN football and that's the way it should stay in my opinion. I've been a Lions fan for the best part of twenty years and that would never change plus I want to be made to work for the prospect of going over to see a Lions game and it being a big trip. I don't like the idea of some half way house of a team in London.

Might sound stupid but that's he way I feel

Most UK fans already follow a team. While sure they'd take interest in a franchise based over here I doubt everyone would drop their allegiances and follow an expansion team.

Yes the games sell out every year. However, people travel from all over Europe to come to the game because it's a one off event. These attendances wouldn't hold up over 8 Games, I know I certainly couldn't manage it from where I am.

I'd still rather watch it on my TV at home than go to a game.

That's just from a supporter point of view, not even addressed the huge issues with logistics and scheduling.

Area51Inhabitant said:
Maybe all this attention & focus the league is spending on London could be spent trying to get a team into the only London sized market in this country currently without a team.
why?

Donsmith753 said:
Most UK fans already follow a team. While sure they'd take interest in a franchise based over here I doubt everyone would drop their allegiances and follow an expansion team.

Yes the games sell out every year. However, people travel from all over Europe to come to the game because it's a one off event. These attendances wouldn't hold up over 8 Games, I know I certainly couldn't manage it from where I am.

That's just from a supporter point of view, not even addressed the huge issues with logistics and scheduling.
It's an interesting question.

As far as I know, pretty much all of North Carolina was definitely Redskins country prior to the Panthers' existence. People took to them. I'm sure people in Tennessee and Jacksonville were big fans of other teams, too, but they have their fans. (especially Tennessee.)

Donsmith753 said:

History shows that people support their local team. That doesn't mean you can't root for another team as well but every time a city has got a new team people have become fans of it. It's hard not to - people talk about them, their highlights are on the news, the players get interviewed on local TV, etc., etc. Once you get to know the players you end up wanting them to do well.

TartanLion said:
As a UK based NFL fan I have zero desire for a team to be based here.
That's the way I feel as well. It's AMERICAN football and that's the way it should stay in my opinion. I've been a Lions fan for the best part of twenty years and that would never change plus I want to be made to work for the prospect of going over to see a Lions game and it being a big trip. I don't like the idea of some half way house of a team in London.

Might sound stupid but that's he way I feel
I understand this point. It's kind of like American fans of Manchester United who put mystique on them because of the distance. I imagine they wouldn't want a Premier League team in NY either. However, to people who aren't already into the sport it would generate tons of interest.

ghostguy123 said:
Sounds like an idea for a quick cash grab that will blow up in their face.

Who the hell is going to want to get drafted and live oversees, doing all that travelling? And did I mention live oversees??

They would really have to do like 4 games on the road, 4 at home, 4 on the road, and 4 at home. Could you imagine the travel otherwise??

WHy does the greatest sport every have to keep making itself worse with more stupid rules and now teams in England? More money in the short term, sure. I guess that is always cool for people who wanna retire early and don't give a F about what happens 10-20 years down the line.
:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
death of the cool said:
I think that the NFL's big picture would be to add a Europe division where those teams play each other 4 games a season and then will take a 2 to 3 game road trip in-between those games to cut down on travel.

Europe Division

London

Berlin

Paris

Madrid

Now if London is a decade a way...this is probably like a 30 year plan, but they want to move into Europe. I just don't think it will be that successful. M
I think you're looking at London, Barcelona, and either 1 in Germany and 1 in Scotland or 2 in Germany.

death of the cool said:

Europe Division

London

Berlin

Paris

Madrid

I think you're looking at London, Barcelona, and either 1 in Germany and 1 in Scotland or 2 in Germany.
Dusseldorg, Frankfurt and Hamburg all had much better attendance than the other NFLE teams. They would probably do well the next time around. Those three plus London sounds good to me. Do people still live in Scotland? I know they did in Braveheart, but that was a long time ago.

thinking about this, I guess you'd have to move them to the AFC East, and move the Dolphins to the AFC South, which it seems like none of the other AFC East teams or Miami would want.

But the travel from Buffalo, NYC and Boston is not onerous getting to London, a bit further than a west coast trip.

But what I want to know is, lets say is a San Diego-London playoff matchup...13 hour swing...you are really monkeying with the integrity of the game there.

Meanwhile, MMQB.com's Peter King reports that while the Jaguars were initially interested in playing two games in London, they have since cooled on the idea "because of a tough road schedule this year."
:lmao:

Legitimate question:

Who gets a team first, London or Los Angeles?
Los Angeles.L.A. has been used for 20 years to scare cities into building new stadiums.

London is being used to scare Los Angeles into doing the same.
L.A. or London first? NFL wants bothBy Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

LONDON -- Roger Goodell wants the NFL to return to Los Angeles and he wants to bring the league to Europe on a permanent basis.

In no particular order.

Speaking at a forum for European NFL fans Saturday on the eve of the 49ers-Jaguars game at Wembley Stadium, Goodell was asked by a fan about going back to L.A. and where it ranks on the league's wish list compared to putting a team in London.

"It doesn't matter," Goodell said.

"I'd love to be back in Los Angeles," Goodell said. "But it has to be done the right way, we have to do it successfully. ...

"I want both (London and L.A.), but it doesn't matter which one is first."

The NFL has not had an NFL franchise in Los Angeles since 1995 when both the Rams and the Raiders relocated.

If the NFL puts a team in London, it would be the only American professional sports league to have a team based in Europe.

There has been talk that there could perhaps be a Super Bowl held in London. However, Goodell said Saturday that will likely only happen if there is a franchise in London because the Super Bowl is played in cities where the NFL has teams based.

Goodell is a huge proponent of playing in London. There will be two regular-season games played in London this season and three in 2014. The games are wildly popular and have been sellouts.

"You are proving you are worthy of a franchise," Goodell told the European fans.

Meanwhile, Goodell said there could be a female official working in the league by next season. The league had a female official work in the preseason.

The NFL are clearly testing the market each year to see how many fans they can get.

This year, two games sold out very quickly so next year there will be three. I expect them to sell out easily as well, so soon after they'll have four games.

Once you get to four or five games being sold out, then it's not much of a leap to imagine 8 games a year for a single franchise. I'd definitely buy a season ticket, just to get a chance to watch some live games.

You are right, but Americans still have scoreboard over British.
ya...... 51 US players and 1 UK player win London its first super bowl, that will get them excited :tinfoilhat:

So... A bit of semi relevant info....

The soccer team that I support, Tottenham Hotspur, have been planning a new stadium build since 2008. Just this past week details emerged that we have changed architects and are looking to revise the proposed stadium plans. The new plans call for a larger stadium ( 60K up to about 70k ) and specification for an NFL friendly stadium that utilises a sliding/ interchangeable pitch.

Couple of things to note...

- 49ers used Spurs training facilities this week and there was a big show made of the two clubs linking up ( I'm not suggesting 49ers themselves would move )

- we would not be undergoing this possibility unless we had received certain assurances or a green light from someone

- we have been linked with AEG in the past when making a bid for the Olympic stadium, AEG being an American company, have been touted as possible sponsors funders for the new stadium and it would tie in that they would be interested in funding a soccer/NFL stadium

- Spurs themselves are owned by ENIC who are a subsidiary of the Tavistock Group, a multi national conglomerate company with the wealth to possibly venture a stake in an NFL team.

For Spurs, having the cost shared in the stadium build and a solid link ground share with a new London based NFL team would have multiple financial benefits and would raise the profile of the club across the world.

Basically, someone has said something to someone else that has activated this whole concept.

Interesting.

Peter King MMQB Excerpt:

Be ready for anything with London.

There’s nothing of permanence happening with London right now, and I’m told every option is on the table. That includes a team moving there, an expansion team, more than three games (the 2014 schedule) and perhaps even a slate of eight games, played by different teams every year. There’s some thought that because there is no “home” team in England, and selling a bad Jacksonville team (the Jags will play a game there in 2014, ’15 and ’16 at least) will be problematic right now, a good option is every team alternating. Of course, that won’t be a good option the minute you tell a Packers, Steelers, Broncos or Seahawks fan he or she has to lose a home game for the sake of expansionism. I sense frustration from some around the league that the NFL spends huge money to put on a great show in England one to three times a year, and the media there ignores it. But as one league operative told me recently: “If you guys [NBC, where I also work] can get 850,000 viewers for a Manchester United game on NBC Sports Network, why can’t we build a block of fans like that for football over there?”

The soccer team that I support, Tottenham Hotspur, have been planning a new stadium build since 2008. Just this past week details emerged that we have changed architects and are looking to revise the proposed stadium plans. The new plans call for a larger stadium ( 60K up to about 70k ) and specification for an NFL friendly stadium that utilises a sliding/ interchangeable pitch.

- 49ers used Spurs training facilities this week and there was a big show made of the two clubs linking up ( I'm not suggesting 49ers themselves would move )

- we would not be undergoing this possibility unless we had received certain assurances or a green light from someone

- we have been linked with AEG in the past when making a bid for the Olympic stadium, AEG being an American company, have been touted as possible sponsors funders for the new stadium and it would tie in that they would be interested in funding a soccer/NFL stadium

- Spurs themselves are owned by ENIC who are a subsidiary of the Tavistock Group, a multi national conglomerate company with the wealth to possibly venture a stake in an NFL team.

For Spurs, having the cost shared in the stadium build and a solid link ground share with a new London based NFL team would have multiple financial benefits and would raise the profile of the club across the world.

Basically, someone has said something to someone else that has activated this whole concept.

Interesting.
Obviously Tottenham just north of London, kind of suburban and boring as all ####.

Canada should get a team or two before London.
Canada already has a football league and it's a short trip for most people in Canada to see an NFL game.
Exactly. They have a great customer base that knows the game.
I live here and trust me, the cfl is NOTHING like the nfl :P

Toronto would be the only city that would succeed with an NFL team, and it would do quite well there. However, that would hurt Buffalo for sure.

how would they work the schedule? Alternating Home and Away games would simply be far too much travel for the London team. I wonder if something could be done where they play their first 8 games on the road and just stay in the states, and then their final 8 games at home. Wouldn't be any travel issues at all (no more then there is now, the 8 away teams would just have to make one trip out there). Or maybe like 4 home, 4 away, 4 home, 4 away. Can't see them alternating weekly.

Deamon said:
how would they work the schedule? Alternating Home and Away games would simply be far too much travel for the London team. I wonder if something could be done where they play their first 8 games on the road and just stay in the states, and then their final 8 games at home. Wouldn't be any travel issues at all (no more then there is now, the 8 away teams would just have to make one trip out there). Or maybe like 4 home, 4 away, 4 home, 4 away. Can't see them alternating weekly.
Jesus, it's across the Atlantic not on the moon.

Alternating 2 home/2 away they'd only have to make a 7-11 hour flight 7 times during the season. They'd need a U.S. base for those two away game but that's not that difficult to manage.

Deamon said:
Jesus, it's across the Atlantic not on the moon.

Alternating 2 home/2 away they'd only have to make a 7-11 hour flight 7 times during the season. They'd need a U.S. base for those two away game but that's not that difficult to manage.
That is still a lot more flying then any other team, and puts them at a disadvantage. Plus, that is a lot of adjusting to time zones, with almost a full day of travel, and perhaps another day to adjust, the regular week schedule/practices etc would be out the window for these teams. I don't see just a 2/2 split, this would be extremely wearing on the London team.

this is different than american cities that gained nfl teams? i guess people in carolina, jax and tennessee had no nfl loyalties prior to those expansions.

The NFL has run out of US cities to play the stadium blackmail game with so they are using Europe. It will be interesting if it happens, though, since rich people actually pay taxes in Europe, unlike here. I suspect the Tories would be asked to amend the tax code first.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Interesting.
Obviously Tottenham just north of London, kind of suburban and boring as all ####.
Tottenham is not 'just north of London', it is very much IN London and is just north of the CBD of the city. It is more like inner city and is as near to the CBD as Wembley is.

As for boring, well, it depends how you classify boring but it's probably the last word i'd use. The High road in Tottenham is where the last London riots started. The area is a hotbed of diversity and cultures but also crime and poverty. The stadium build entails improving the whole area with nicer accomodation, cafés, restaurants bars etc

I went to the game on Sunday. The NFL put on a good show, despite the game itself being extremely dull because of one team being hopelessly out-matched by the other.

Although there has been a strong campaign to build up support for the Jaguars, I don't see them or any other team ever moving to London. I don't buy any of the talk of logistics, teams fly across continental US every week and other facilities could be easily arranged.

The problem would be that without any significant number of British players actually playing, the wider public would have little interest in supporting a team long term. There is certainly lots of support for the NFL, as can be seen by sold-out stadium for every game, but its mostly NFL enthusiasts who already support a team and just want to see good football games.

Legitimate question:

Who gets a team first, London or Los Angeles?
Los Angeles.L.A. has been used for 20 years to scare cities into building new stadiums.

London is being used to scare Los Angeles into doing the same.
Exactly.

For decades, LA was the boogeyman used to threaten cities into stadium deals.

Now, it appears LA will be getting a team in the next 5-7 years. So the NFL needs a new boogeyman, and is setting up London to be that threat. Starting with taunting LA to hurry up the stadium process, or risk London getting the next franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread