What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** NFL International Football Thread *** (1 Viewer)

oof that's bad.  You can even get lower level 50 yard line tickets for like 40 bucks.  I thought these London games usually sold out or were expensive... maybe that was just the first couple years.
Maybe that's why they're always sold out.  Maybe it's all about appearances.

They just mentioned on the Browns pre-game radio that the BENGALS lease ends and they suggested that the Bengals would relocate to London.

I haven't found any corresponding evidence to support this but if anything the Bengals could use that as leverage with Cincinnati to get favorable conditions with their lease. 

They just mentioned on the Browns pre-game radio that the BENGALS lease ends and they suggested that the Bengals would relocate to London.

I haven't found any corresponding evidence to support this but if anything the Bengals could use that as leverage with Cincinnati to get favorable conditions with their lease. 
The only way to do it is to put 4 teams in Europe. I can assure that nobody outside of North America cares about the nfl. They compare it to soccer which lasts less than 2 hours, has no commercial stoppages, and pretty much is the biggest sport in the world in every country but Canada and the us. Even here it’s a game that relies on gambling and fantasy sports. Otherwise I don’t know anybody here who watches anymore either. 

They should be putting a team in Toronto which is right there and has a way bigger market than most nfl teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Athletic's Vincent Bonsignore reports the Chargers "would listen" if the NFL approached them about relocating to London.

According to Bonsignore, the possibility "has been broached among league personnel" and owners are "concerned enough about the Chargers’ situation in L.A. that they would provide the necessary support for a relocation to London if the Chargers pursue it." Tottenham Hotspur Stadium opened earlier this year with the NFL in mind and hosted two of the four London games this season after the across-the-pond series concluded this past Sunday. It seats over 62,000, and the Chargers are currently playing in a tiny soccer stadium in Carson, Cali. that seats a mere 27,000 where the Chargers are essentially the road team every week as it gets flooded with opposing fans. The Chargers are slated to join the Rams in their new $4.5 billion venue, but L.A. has not embraced the Bolts as it has the Rams. Moving to London would make a whole heck of a lot of sense, as the fans over there have totally embraced the NFL. It would likely require the Chargers switching divisions.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Nov 4, 2019, 10:44 PM ET

as the fans over there have totally embraced the NFL
I think if you charge $9 for tickets everyone has embraced the NFL. Keep in mind London is an expensive city. It costs ~$14 to see a matinee at the movie theater.

Leave it to the spanos family to go from a city with a complete indifference to them, to an entire continent that will have similar indifference. You thought it was tough playing 16 road games a year? How about the extra travel associated with playing in London?

Same clown family running that franchise as always. They should make this move, and keep heading east after that. Once Rivers retires they may as well play their games in Siberia("Zoiks! Asia is a huge untapped market!@##$). That family is flaunting the fact that in the NFL you can be completely incompetent and in a dementia induced haze and still make a profit so long as those TV checks keep rolling in. 

The owners are "concerned" about the situation in la...... wtf did they think would happen? It's a minor league team run by minor league ownership that would have no hope of filling a 27k stadium if it weren't 95% sold to fans of opposing teams. Tire. Fire. It's a beautiful thing.

Wonder how the players would feel about having to essentially live in London for a good part of the year.  Would be fun when you're young I'm sure but not so great when you're older and you're family oriented and don't want to cheat on your wife.

I think if you charge $9 for tickets everyone has embraced the NFL. Keep in mind London is an expensive city. It costs ~$14 to see a matinee at the movie theater.

Leave it to the spanos family to go from a city with a complete indifference to them, to an entire continent that will have similar indifference. You thought it was tough playing 16 road games a year? How about the extra travel associated with playing in London?

Same clown family running that franchise as always. They should make this move, and keep heading east after that. Once Rivers retires they may as well play their games in Siberia("Zoiks! Asia is a huge untapped market!@##$). That family is flaunting the fact that in the NFL you can be completely incompetent and in a dementia induced haze and still make a profit so long as those TV checks keep rolling in. 

The owners are "concerned" about the situation in la...... wtf did they think would happen? It's a minor league team run by minor league ownership that would have no hope of filling a 27k stadium if it weren't 95% sold to fans of opposing teams. Tire. Fire. It's a beautiful thing.
just goes to show you....build the nfl team a new stadium or they will leave....still think the raiders should of gone to la....and the chargers to vegas....i think the jags owner wants london though...so every team that has an old crappy stadium.....buffalo... look out because londin is calling

Wonder how the players would feel about having to essentially live in London for a good part of the year.  Would be fun when you're young I'm sure but not so great when you're older and you're family oriented and don't want to cheat on your wife.
Imagine telling Phillip Rivers that he either has to move his wife and 39 children to London or live there by himself for 3 months out of the year (probably out of a hotel). Imagine telling some young, first round player  "good job on being one of the top players in your draft class, enjoy living in a different country". Imagine telling the players that they have to pay significant taxes to both countries. Imagine telling the players that half their games will be cross continental travel (it would still be 5 games/year even if there was an entire European division).

Very few players would want to play for London. The most important player on the team, Rivers, probably wouldn't go. You will have draft picks refusing to go there and you will have a hell of time attracting free agents. A good example is the Toronto Raptors in basketball. That's a sport with world wide appeal, a city with a good market, and geographically close to the USA. Marquee free agents don't go there because they don't want to live out of country and have to pay significant extra taxes to play there. London would be an even bigger problem for the NFL

I can't. Imagine any players or coaches that would want to be part of the London team.   This is a terrible idea.   

That being said, the Chargers do need a new home in the US.  They are going to fade away more each year.   

the Chargers do need a new home
The owners got too greedy relocating the franchise hoping to bend LA business owners over a barrel thinking they would fall over themselves buying PSLs but got a cold slap in the face.  Too bad soo sad.

------

As Adam Schefter notes, it's a "troubling issue" for the league. The Chargers' PSL (personal seat license) sales have been a real struggle, and Wickersham says the team is expected to revise its Inglewood revenue goals sharply to a more realistic number of $150 million from initially setting it at $400 million. The Chargers are a team without a home as the Rams have cornered the L.A. market, and the Bolts are the stepson to the city. There were whispers last year of the NFL considering moving the Chargers back to San Diego. It should be done, but it would be a total admittance of failure by Roger Goodell and his billionaire buddies.

Source: Seth Wickersham on Twitter"

-----

Hate the NFL owners with a passion.  Hate every single one of them for relocating franchises, forcing cities to build new stadiums, expanding and watering down the league not to make the league better but to make more money.

DocHolliday said:
I can't. Imagine any players or coaches that would want to be part of the London team.   This is a terrible idea.   

That being said, the Chargers do need a new home in the US.  They are going to fade away more each year.   
The Chargers need new owners and to go back to San Diego.

The Chargers need new owners and to go back to San Diego.
i agree.....someone  will take the fall and try it in london....jax or chargers seem most likely....the league wants that la stadium to gave games in it everyweek for awhile though....i think the chargers play there for awhile 5 years 

i agree.....someone  will take the fall and try it in london....jax or chargers seem most likely....the league wants that la stadium to gave games in it everyweek for awhile though....i think the chargers play there for awhile 5 years 
Sounds awful for players and coaches now and later.   A London team is a horrible idea.    

Bracie Smathers said:
Hate the NFL owners with a passion.  Hate every single one of them for relocating franchises, forcing cities to build new stadiums, expanding and watering down the league not to make the league better but to make more money.
I honestly think they are going to eventually kill the golden goose.

Whether it's through ridiculous rule changes and enforcement, or commercials bulging out the seams of and NFL game, or simply alienating enough US cities in a desperate cash grab to make the NFL a global game.... it's all making the product worse. There may be one last gasp of an uptick when mainstream gambling peaks in the near future but imo when three announcers and a trained former official can't figure out what the decision will be after half a dozen frame-by-frame slow motion reviews.... it will dawn on bettors that they are actually just playing a 3.5 hour version of roulette.

Speaking Tuesday, Chargers owner Dean Spanos forcefully denied a report that the team is considering a move to London.

"It’s total (string of expletives)," Spanos said. "We’re not going to London. We’re not going anywhere. We’re playing in Los Angeles. This is our home, and this is where we are planning to be for a long (expletive) time. Period." As CBS Sports' Jonathan Jones quipped on Twitter, the diatribe was delivered with the "gusto of a man who can't take any sort of sponsorship hit in Los Angeles." Spanos' words are meaningless. Almost every team considering a move says that's not the case. There is still some truth in what Spanos said, as a full-time team in London remains a far-fetched fantasy for a variety of reasons.

SOURCE: Eric Williams on Twitter

Nov 5, 2019, 2:16 PM ET

Player no trade to London clauses are on the horizon. Gotta add 'em if you don't want to go. 
Never even considered that - great point. 

another question comes up with regard to taxes. Some players would prefer to be a MIami Dolphin for a simple fact that there’s no state income tax.

Taxes in England are much higher, or at least they were last time i checked. They (NFL/team) will likely work out some sort of agreement with the host country though. 

Yeesh. what a can of worms. 

as for the Chargers wanting to move there, it bugs me. Here’s a team that refused to build a stadium in SD,, have spent decades alienating their own fans, moved to share stadium stadium with the Rams m, and are now reportedly interested in leaving the country and abandoning their fan base altogether?

no wonder they are so unpopular.

The NFL has released a statement denying that moving the Chargers to London is being explored.

"There is no substance whatsoever to this report," the league said in an uncredited statement. "No consideration has been given to the Chargers playing anywhere other than Los Angeles." The strongly-worded letter dragged on a bit after that. The fact that these statements are necessary at all tells you all you need to know about the Chargers' viability in Los Angeles. Bolts players keep complaining about having to play 16 road games. L.A. simply isn't a two-team market after two decades of enjoying the Red Zone channel. It's looking increasingly likely the Chargers will have to make another move at some point, though London isn't realistic.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Nov 5, 2019, 5:16 PM ET

Might as well move them to Vegas.  They can share a stadium with the Raiders the same way the Clippers share one with the Lakers.

I really don't understand why people just won't stop watching these overseas game.  Never seen one and never will.  If they place a franchise there I will stop watching altogether.

I have a very hard time believing he plays anywhere but NE. Especially if he can lure Gronkowski out for one last run. 
Still, it's very interesting that he put in a provision so he can't be franchise tagged(as Walking Boot said). Just odd unless he thought NE should have given an extension and NE balked at giving him a long one because of his age. It's always a guess what's going on behind the scenes in NE but TB is getting closer to the end of the line than BB. 

FWIW, as much as some people absolutely hate Brady I wouldn't wish the dysfunction that is the chargers on my worst enemy. To say there might be a "culture shock" might be understating it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-focused-only-on-the-present-but-expect-him-to-eye-los-angeles-if-he-leaves-patriots/

Both Rivers and Brady are in the last years of their contracts, Rivers is a UFA after this season and Brady's voids and he can't be franchise tagged. 
Also don't forget that there were rumors swirling before his current contract that Rivers might be interested in playing in TN. Looks like they are going to let a 26yo Mariota walk out the door and I highly doubt a 32yo(by the start of next season) Tannehill is their QB of the future. I don't know what the "plan" is in TEN but seems to me they will be finishing ~.500 again and probably won't get a crack at any of the top QB prospects. It wouldn't be SHOCKING if Rivers was their starting QB next season.

OTOH, Brady's contract is weird. It's a total farce, they underpay what his value would be on the real free market, and constantly restructure it to take money away from him to pay other players he wants on the team, but, pay his brand or some other sheltered structure a consulting fee that ends up in his pocket but not counted as salary
Yeah, I’d read about that once. Brady gets paid, no question . It’s just....muddy. 

I still don’t think it happens, but it would be interesting to see what kind of salary Brady would command when it’s just a straight contract without all the shenanigans. 

I really don't understand why people just won't stop watching these overseas game.  Never seen one and never will.  If they place a franchise there I will stop watching altogether.
I was having Sunday morning breakfast and they had it on in the background.  Still better than the  pregame hype they usually fill that time slot with.

North American ratings of the current London games isn't a metric that is going to drive the decision to put a team over there. If you're not watching because the games aren't good, you can add 30-40% of games played every week to your boycott list. This is pro hockey in Arizona, which is there for "strategic" reasons. A sufficient, sustainable fan base is not one of those reasons.

Yeah, I’d read about that once. Brady gets paid, no question . It’s just....muddy. 

I still don’t think it happens, but it would be interesting to see what kind of salary Brady would command when it’s just a straight contract without all the shenanigans. 
Goes to show just how much the NFL needs the Patriot/BB/Brady connection to keep the draw.   A few teams such as the Patriots, Boys, Steelers are the league bread winners.   NE is the golden goose and is given favorable calls on top of a favorable schedule while the NFL ignores Brady's extra pay.  

North American ratings of the current London games isn't a metric that is going to drive the decision to put a team over there. If you're not watching because the games aren't good, you can add 30-40% of games played every week to your boycott list. This is pro hockey in Arizona, which is there for "strategic" reasons. A sufficient, sustainable fan base is not one of those reasons.
Last I checked Arizona is still in the u.s..  once a sport team goes to another country I will not watch that sport.  Baseball, basketball, hockey, soon to be football I guess.

bucksoh said:
Last I checked Arizona is still in the u.s..  once a sport team goes to another country I will not watch that sport.  Baseball, basketball, hockey, soon to be football I guess.
Wait what? Why?

Tool said:
Living in a much better country, close to all of Europe and Asia, are you serious? Good luck trying to get their wives to move back to the us.

Wait what? Why?
Because I'm an American and don't want to watch when an American sport that goes to another country.  Do u watch other countries sports?  I don't cause I have no interest in supporting that country and also no interest in the sport.

Because I'm an American and don't want to watch when an American sport that goes to another country.  Do u watch other countries sports?  I don't cause I have no interest in supporting that country and also no interest in the sport.
Yes? Love premier league. All international soccer, watch Federer in tennis etc. Weird opinion but to each their own. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jaguars will play two home games at Wembley Stadium in 2020.

Jacksonville will unsurprisingly become the first franchise in league history to play two games outside of the United States in the same regular season. Their opponents have yet to be determined, but the league confirmed the Bears and Steelers would remain 2-of-6 home opponents in Florida. With a new CBA on the horizon, this is clearly part of the team's "ambitious and big-picture plans" to eventually land a full slate of games (and perhaps ownership of Wembley Stadium) in London.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 4, 2020, 11:32 AM ET

patriotism in action, love it.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jaguars will play two home games at Wembley Stadium in 2020.

Jacksonville will unsurprisingly become the first franchise in league history to play two games outside of the United States in the same regular season. Their opponents have yet to be determined, but the league confirmed the Bears and Steelers would remain 2-of-6 home opponents in Florida. With a new CBA on the horizon, this is clearly part of the team's "ambitious and big-picture plans" to eventually land a full slate of games (and perhaps ownership of Wembley Stadium) in London.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 4, 2020, 11:32 AM ET
What a mess.

grateful zed said:
patriotism in action, love it.
That's not patriotism - it's just bizarre and does not make any sense.

Does he not listen to the Beatles or U2?

Does he not watch any movies or TV shows with John Candy, Jackie Chan, Sean Connery or Michael J Fox?

What about the Olympics?

Does he own any Apple Products?

Would he not eat Italian or Chinese food?

That take is not American at all. 

That's not patriotism - it's just bizarre and does not make any sense.

Does he not listen to the Beatles or U2?

Does he not watch any movies or TV shows with John Candy, Jackie Chan, Sean Connery or Michael J Fox?

What about the Olympics?

Does he own any Apple Products?

Would he not eat Italian or Chinese food?

That take is not American at all. 
Every American I know likes at least one of those things.  So he is by definition un-American. 

Users who are viewing this thread