What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles Thread: Hall of Famer? (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Jamaal Charles will 'stack Pro Bowls on Pro Bowls' in Andy Reid's offense

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

June 9, 2013 6:27 pm ET
The Chiefs are very much in a transition year, coming off a two-win season and welcoming Andy Reid in as their new coach. But it's Reid's presence that has many folks optimistic Kansas City can engineer a quick turnaround.

It's also Reid's presence that has folks believing some players, namely breathtakingly talented running back Jamaal Charles, could make a big leap next year. Charles wouldn't just agree with us; he'd take it a step further in projecting his ability to succeed in Reid's offense.

"This offense might be the best thing that ever happened to me,” Charles told Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star. “I think this offense will get me open. They're going to throw me the ball more. I think I'll continue to stack Pro Bowls on Pro Bowls if I can stay healthy."

Lots of people have made the comparison to LeSean McCoy and Brian Westbrook when it comes to Charles, and he too believes he fits that mold perfectly.

“I definitely know my role. I've got a lot of stuff to program in my mind right now. There's a lot of stuff in the Andy Reid offense, the same stuff he did with Westbrook and McCoy, and I think I fit his scheme as well as they did," Charles said. "Definitely more studying and definitely more knowing the scheme of the defense, especially when I go out there and play another position like wide receiver. I go in there and try to read the defense. I feel like this year it will be more than I catch out of the backfield."

Ah, yes. Running back receptions. They're a thing of beauty, especially in a fantasy football world. Our debonair group of fantasy football experts has Charles ranked collectively as a top-five back in points-per-reception leagues.

Obviously it doesn't hurt to have a multi-threat weapon at running back in real life either. Reid understands how important it is, too, noting the last two years his new top back "wasn't utilized" to his maximum efficiency.

“He's not the biggest guy in the world, but he's got a heart of a lion,” Reid said in March at the owners' meetings. “He's got that MO, tremendous quickness and can catch. He's pretty good at running the football, so there is a place for him. You line him up everywhere. You can move him around and kind of do some unique things with him."

Charles did some magnificent things with the Chiefs last year, despite being handicapped by a bad offense, poor usage and not having a quarterback to take attention away from the running game.

That's why his confidence heading into this season doesn't even remotely feel like a stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles says the Chiefs' new offense "might be the best thing that ever happened to me."

"I think this offense will get me open," Charles said. "They’re going to throw me the ball more. I think I’ll continue to stack Pro Bowls on Pro Bowls if I can stay healthy." OC Doug Pederson believes the "sky is the limit" for Charles, and we feel he should shatter his previous career high of 45 catches. Charles checks in at No. 5 overall in our own Evan Silva's June Top 150.

Jun 9 - 11:16 AM

Source: Kansas City Star
Jamaal Charles expects to catch more passes this season.

The word from Andy Reid and OC Doug Pederson has gotten through. "I’m like (Brian) Westbrook and (LeSean) McCoy as far as how I fit into (Reid’s) offense," Charles said. "I definitely need to do more studying and knowing the scheme of the defense, especially playing a position like wide receiver. ... Last year, I didn’t have any catches out of the backfield. This year it will be more." Charles will be an elite option in every format, but particularly PPR.

Jun 7 - 8:21 AM

Source: ESPN.com
Chiefs OC Doug Pederson confirmed Jamaal Charles will be a major part of the passing game.

Charles has never caught more than 45 balls in five years with the Chiefs. That's about to change. "You've seen him sprint out of the single receiver, and he'll come out of the backfield," Pederson said. "He's a guy that needs to move around and (one) you can put in different positions, motion out the back, shift him from the backfield. He catches the ball so well that you have to take advantage of that offensively." With Andy Reid's penchant for throwing to running backs and Alex Smith's check-down mentality, Charles is a great bet for 60-70 catches. He's a lock for high-end RB1 value in PPR.

Jun 4 - 8:20 AM

Source: Fox Sports Kansas City

That's what I'm sayin'. He's my #2 redraft RB in both PPR and non, and my #4 dynasty RB. He'll be carrying a lot of teams to titles this season.
like doug Martin and ap over him in redraft. I could easily see taking charles third over foster, rice, spiller etc

Jamaal Charles will 'stack Pro Bowls on Pro Bowls' in Andy Reid's offense

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
June 9, 2013 6:27 pm ET
Charles did some magnificent things with the Chiefs last year, despite being handicapped by a bad offense, poor usage and not having a quarterback to take attention away from the running game.
And he forgot to mention he was coming off an ACL injury.
I think he's overlooked by a lot of people because of how good AP was last year coming off the same injury. If not for AP coming off that injury we'd be talking about Charles having the best comeback season of all time. People are forgetting he also came back from it and ran for 285/1509/5.3ypc... only 5 TDs but that's because being on the Chiefs offense last year was like having Endzone AIDs. But this year they should be much improved and I really do think he has the best shot at finishing the season as the #1 PPR and non-PPR RB. Charles has never been the lead back on a decent offense this year should be a massive season for him if he can stay healthy.

That's what I'm sayin'. He's my #2 redraft RB in both PPR and non, and my #4 dynasty RB. He'll be carrying a lot of teams to titles this season.
Shhhhhhhhhhhh! ;)
shhh be quiet or my league mates will know about the guy that had 1500 yards rushing last year :lol:
You'd be shocked at how many people really aren't aware of how dominating his season was last year. AP got all the headlines Charles fell by the wayside. Expect any leagues with some average informed people to pass on him later than most of us would. He's my 1.01 right now easily the top of my "do want" list. I have this gut feeling with Reid as the coach a real QB at the helm with Smith. And the massive upgrades to the run blocking with Fischer and Kelce. I see a 2012 Peterson/2010 Foster type of year coming from him.

300 carries, 1600 yds, 13 TDs on the ground

55 catches, 600 yds, 4 TDs through the air

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! ;)
shhh be quiet or my league mates will know about the guy that had 1500 yards rushing last year :lol:
People are often TD-focused, and that probably makes Charles a lesser option than some other stud RBs based on past years. But this year could be different...

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! ;)
You'd be shocked at how many people really aren't aware of how dominating his season was last year. AP got all the headlines Charles fell by the wayside. Expect any leagues with some average informed people to pass on him later than most of us would. He's my 1.01 right now easily the top of my "do want" list. I have this gut feeling with Reid as the coach a real QB at the helm with Smith. And the massive upgrades to the run blocking with Fischer and Kelce. I see a 2012 Peterson/2010 Foster type of year coming from him. 300 carries, 1600 yds, 13 TDs on the ground55 catches, 600 yds, 4 TDs through the air
I agree. Average fans and folks who don't take this hobby all that serious but still participate are unaware of how good Charles is and his potential in that offense. He's a top 5 player regardless of format IMO but I'm betting he can be had later than the 5 pick in many leagues. Unfortunately I don't play in any such leagues anymore. My local league would be the closest thing to it but even there I'd say 10 of the 12 participants are all very strong FF players with very good football knowledge. I'll need a high pick to get him.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! ;)
You'd be shocked at how many people really aren't aware of how dominating his season was last year. AP got all the headlines Charles fell by the wayside. Expect any leagues with some average informed people to pass on him later than most of us would. He's my 1.01 right now easily the top of my "do want" list. I have this gut feeling with Reid as the coach a real QB at the helm with Smith. And the massive upgrades to the run blocking with Fischer and Kelce. I see a 2012 Peterson/2010 Foster type of year coming from him. 300 carries, 1600 yds, 13 TDs on the ground55 catches, 600 yds, 4 TDs through the air
I agree. Average fans and folks who don't take this hobby all that serious but still participate are unaware of how good Charles is and his potential in that offense. He's a top 5 player regardless of format IMO but I'm betting he can be had later than the 5 pick in many leagues. Unfortunately I don't play in any such leagues anymore. My local league would be the closest thing to it but even there I'd say 10 of the 12 participants are all very strong FF players with very good football knowledge. I'll need a high pick to get him.
Yeah I happen to be lucky enough that my local 12 man $250 buy in league is pretty much filled with people who are either awful-mediocre when it comes to fantasy. So I usually tend to get ridiculous steals every year. Hell last year went 1.01: Foster, 2.12: Lynch, 3.01: Julio, 4.12: TRich, 5.01: Percy Harvin not even counting my 17.01: Alfred Morris pick either. People value QBs way to highly in my league because they assume that being a 6pt passing TD non-ppr league they are so much more valuable. What usually happens is pick 1.01 will be Foster/Peterson, pick 1.02 will be the other and then someone will take Rodgers, then Brady, then Manning and then everyone starts panicking that all the good QBs will be gone so they just keep drafting QBs until they all have a starter. Last season I was the only person to take a RB in the first round, every other team drafted their "starting QB" from 1.02-1.12. Everyone thought I was crazy as I just ignored a QB until 9.01 where I took RG3 after another like 6 QBs came off the board. So yeah, I can 'probably' snag Charles anywhere from 1.01-1.08 in my league, hell possibly even later.

Got him 10th overall in a startup Dynasty. 6th RB off the board. Great value.
...how was he the 6th RB off the board in a dynasty start up? Besides like... Richardson, Martin, Spiller who are you drafting over him? Peterson is 28 and has a ton of tread on those tires. We know he's a freak but even still he can't have more than 2-4 years MAX left in him. Charles is going to be 26 in December but he's a very young 26. He barely played his first year or two and split carries with Thomas Jones after that. He has another 4 years in him easily and probably more like 5-6. The only sure fire picks over him are Richardson, Martin and Spiller and I could see an argument for McCoy and Wilson but I think Charles is a better pick than them pretty easily.

Khy said:
ducktales said:
Shhhhhhhhhhhh! ;)
No way an Andy Reid back gets 300 carries. On the bright side, that 55 receptions is probably Charles's floor, with 65 or 70 more likely.

...how was he the 6th RB off the board in a dynasty start up? Besides like... Richardson, Martin, Spiller who are you drafting over him? Peterson is 28 and has a ton of tread on those tires. We know he's a freak but even still he can't have more than 2-4 years MAX left in him. Charles is going to be 26 in December but he's a very young 26. He barely played his first year or two and split carries with Thomas Jones after that. He has another 4 years in him easily and probably more like 5-6. The only sure fire picks over him are Richardson, Martin and Spiller and I could see an argument for McCoy and Wilson but I think Charles is a better pick than them pretty easily.
I could see an argument for Richardson, Martin, or McCoy (all younger). I could see an argument for Rice (same age, longer track record). I could see an argument for Foster and Peterson (older, but their best seasons have blown Charles' out of the water). I actually think Spiller has the weakest argument- he's basically just Jamaal Charles without the track record- but I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if someone preferred him. Personally, I prefer him to all but the trio of young guns.

You named 5 backs that are either surefire or that you could at least see an argument for being ahead of Charles, so I think you've answered your own question.

I've seen him go anywhere from RB5 to RB10 in startups this year due to personal preferences (such as an owner choosing to go Alfred Morris over Charles), but most of the RBs in this range are coming off the board within picks of each other (and often in the 1st round or early 2nd) so the fact that he was taken RB5 in one draft but RB7 in another makes little difference - he's still being drafted as an elite player. I personally like him closer to the 5 end than the 10.

Khy said:
ducktales said:
Shhhhhhhhhhhh! ;)
No way an Andy Reid back gets 300 carries. On the bright side, that 55 receptions is probably Charles's floor, with 65 or 70 more likely.
Eh probably true, I know Westbrook got up there a few times and McCoy had 278 in 2011 while missing a game. So it's not completely crazy. But yeah, 265-275 is probably more realistic with as you say 60-70 receptions. Which in the end still balances out the total touches I guessed at.

My mistake, he was the 7th RB off the board. Martin, McCoy, Foster, Richardson, Peterson and Rice were all drafted ahead of him. Calvin Johnson, AJ Green and Julio Jones were the other players to make the top 10.

I'm astonished at how undervalued Charles is. I'm in an auction keeper league with an awesome stable of RBs (Charles, Martin, Spiller, D. Wilson) with Charles the priciest, so I've tried dealing him for cap room and the offers have been ridiculously bad.

I'm astonished at how undervalued Charles is. I'm in an auction keeper league with an awesome stable of RBs (Charles, Martin, Spiller, D. Wilson) with Charles the priciest, so I've tried dealing him for cap room and the offers have been ridiculously bad.
I own Charles, Peterson, and Rice in one league, and everyone in my league has approached me about trading for Charles because they think he'd be the cheapest of the trio. They are mistaken.

I think you opponents jars trying to low ball you simply because they assume your are eating Charles out of over abundance at RB. They think because you have such a strong stable at RB you are more inclined to accept lower value for diversification, other positions which are likely not strong.

I think you opponents jars trying to low ball you simply because they assume your are eating Charles out of over abundance at RB. They think because you have such a strong stable at RB you are more inclined to accept lower value for diversification, other positions which are likely not strong.
That's likely, but when half the league are in bad RB shape, someone's gotta cave if they want one of my guys ;-)

Let's not get too excited. I don't seem to remember Alex Smith frightening anybody.

Charles will face a lot of 8 man fronts.

Let's temper the enthusiasm just a bit:

this was a 2-win team last season..Andy Reid isn't going to turn this thing around overnight, and neither is Alex ( *cough*) Smith..

Charles is a terrific RB...as SSOG said,he's probably in line for 65-70 recs..I'd say he's going to get about 255 carries - it's the Andy Reid way..

career 5.8 y/c avg * 255 carries = 1479 yards.. ( slightly less rushing yards than last year)..thats if he hits his career avg of 5.8 per carry..

add in 65 recs for 546 yards ( based on his career 8.4 y/rec avg)

so in the end you're getting nearly double the recs, but roughly the same rushing yards as last season.

what you're hoping for is a major bump in TDs and frankly I don't see where they're coming from..

this will be,at best, a 5-11/6-10 team..

hard to imagine Charles surpassing 10 rushing Tds ( double last year's output)..he only scored one rec TD in 2012, 7 for his career..

he's going to give you outstanding numbers in recs and rush yards,but ho-hum, underwhelming TD totals..bad teams don't score a lot of points..

Let's temper the enthusiasm just a bit:this was a 2-win team last season..Andy Reid isn't going to turn this thing around overnight, and neither is Alex ( *cough*) Smith..Charles is a terrific RB...as SSOG said,he's probably in line for 65-70 recs..I'd say he's going to get about 255 carries - it's the Andy Reid way.. career 5.8 y/c avg * 255 carries = 1479 yards.. ( slightly less rushing yards than last year)..thats if he hits his career avg of 5.8 per carry..add in 65 recs for 546 yards ( based on his career 8.4 y/rec avg)so in the end you're getting nearly double the recs, but roughly the same rushing yards as last season.what you're hoping for is a major bump in TDs and frankly I don't see where they're coming from..this will be,at best, a 5-11/6-10 team..hard to imagine Charles surpassing 10 rushing Tds ( double last year's output)..he only scored one rec TD in 2012, 7 for his career.. he's going to give you outstanding numbers in recs and rush yards,but ho-hum, underwhelming TD totals..bad teams don't score a lot of points..
Why are you so sure this KC team is going to be that bad again? Yeah they only won 2 games last year, but in 2011 they won 7. In 2010 they won 10. Not many teams in the NFL are consistently bad, or good for that matter, year to year. In 2009 KC won only 4 games. So, the win totals with Haley and Crennel as HC are; 2, 7, 10 and 4. With KC adding what has to be considered a better coach, the best coach they've had in a long time IMO, and a better QB why would we expect them to play down to the 2012 level? To cap this team at 6 potential wins seems silly to me. On paper, I think this is one of the most talented teams in the AFC. Their problems last year were horrible coaching and horrible QB play. Both were addressed.I see KC as the 2nd best team in their division behind Den. They should contend for an 8 win season, perhaps more and a playoff spot. As a matter of fact, both Vegas and CBS have set the 2013 O/U on wins for KC at 7. Saying they are a 5 or 6 win team at best is severely under rating them.

Let's temper the enthusiasm just a bit:this was a 2-win team last season..Andy Reid isn't going to turn this thing around overnight, and neither is Alex ( *cough*) Smith..Charles is a terrific RB...as SSOG said,he's probably in line for 65-70 recs..I'd say he's going to get about 255 carries - it's the Andy Reid way.. career 5.8 y/c avg * 255 carries = 1479 yards.. ( slightly less rushing yards than last year)..thats if he hits his career avg of 5.8 per carry..add in 65 recs for 546 yards ( based on his career 8.4 y/rec avg)so in the end you're getting nearly double the recs, but roughly the same rushing yards as last season.what you're hoping for is a major bump in TDs and frankly I don't see where they're coming from..this will be,at best, a 5-11/6-10 team..hard to imagine Charles surpassing 10 rushing Tds ( double last year's output)..he only scored one rec TD in 2012, 7 for his career.. he's going to give you outstanding numbers in recs and rush yards,but ho-hum, underwhelming TD totals..bad teams don't score a lot of points..
Why are you so sure this KC team is going to be that bad again? Yeah they only won 2 games last year, but in 2011 they won 7. In 2010 they won 10. Not many teams in the NFL are consistently bad, or good for that matter, year to year. In 2009 KC won only 4 games. So, the win totals with Haley and Crennel as HC are; 2, 7, 10 and 4. With KC adding what has to be considered a better coach, the best coach they've had in a long time IMO, and a better QB why would we expect them to play down to the 2012 level? To cap this team at 6 potential wins seems silly to me. On paper, I think this is one of the most talented teams in the AFC. Their problems last year were horrible coaching and horrible QB play. Both were addressed.I see KC as the 2nd best team in their division behind Den. They should contend for an 8 win season, perhaps more and a playoff spot. As a matter of fact, both Vegas and CBS have set the 2013 O/U on wins for KC at 7. Saying they are a 5 or 6 win team at best is severely under rating them.
Pretty much this... KC has tons of talent. A really solid defense and some of the better offensive talents in the league. Dwayne Bowe is hugely underrated, Charles is a Top 3-4 RB in the NFL and Jon Baldwin has the physical talents he could bust out this season. Add in the addition of Fischer on OLine and Kelce (good blocking TE) to the blocking for Charles. He's going to be a freak this season. To say that "Alex Smith isn't scaring anyone" is ridiculous, he's 20x the QB that Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn were. He does have the tools and the weapons to hurt them if they just line up in 8-9 man fronts every down.

:unsure:

:unsure:
:shrug:

I could see 270 carries for 1500 plus yards and 70 catches for 700 yards and 15 total tds 10 rushing 5 rec..... I see Huge top 5 upside for JC who is amazing on a per run basis career best all time 5.7

Tanner9919 said:
Let's temper the enthusiasm just a bit:

this was a 2-win team last season..Andy Reid isn't going to turn this thing around overnight, and neither is Alex ( *cough*) Smith..

Charles is a terrific RB...as SSOG said,he's probably in line for 65-70 recs..I'd say he's going to get about 255 carries - it's the Andy Reid way..

career 5.8 y/c avg * 255 carries = 1479 yards.. ( slightly less rushing yards than last year)..thats if he hits his career avg of 5.8 per carry..

add in 65 recs for 546 yards ( based on his career 8.4 y/rec avg)

so in the end you're getting nearly double the recs, but roughly the same rushing yards as last season.

what you're hoping for is a major bump in TDs and frankly I don't see where they're coming from..

this will be,at best, a 5-11/6-10 team..

hard to imagine Charles surpassing 10 rushing Tds ( double last year's output)..he only scored one rec TD in 2012, 7 for his career..

he's going to give you outstanding numbers in recs and rush yards,but ho-hum, underwhelming TD totals..bad teams don't score a lot of points..
If this were Michael turner we were talking about, I could find the correlation of "KC is going to be a bad team, which =team not scoring, which =Temper expectations on Charles."

But, this isn't your Grandpa's (or even older brother's) NFL. Team score these days and especially the ones that have dynamic players like Charles. Gone are the days where, if you can't establish the run, you just end up with an old-fashioned 31-6 beatdown. These days, even bad teams tend put up 20 or so. Garbage time TDs are an almost mandated occurrence and Charles is so dynamic that, ESPECIALLY if they are getting beat 31-3 in the middle of the 4th quarter, he is the type of guy that will probably balst a laxed up Defense for a 56 yarder or something. This is FAR from thinking in the mindset of "the teams have to be good so that my guy can get 4-6 short-yardage TDs and end up with 12-14."

Also, regarding Smith: Sometimes it isn't about how good a guy like Smith is; its about how bad Cassell, etc was. Think of it as the Anti-Fitz paradox of 2013.

Alex Smith will be a breath of fresh air not to mention the rookie Fischer he is a monster and levitre who they also brought in, Andy reid will turn Charles into MCCOY part 2 with more speed.

Users who are viewing this thread