What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles Thread: Hall of Famer? (1 Viewer)

People aren't actually projecting 5.8 per carry are they?
Why not?

2008: 67 rushes - 5.3 per

2009: 190 rushes - 5.9 per

2010: 230 rushes - 6.4 per

2011: 12 rushes - 6.9 per

2012: 285 rushes - 5.3 per

He's only 26 with probably the best passing game we've had since he's been the guy (2009).

two words ..Alex Smith...

looked dreadful last night again..when real games are played, he's an int machine and teams will learn to stack the box against the run..KC will rue the day they let Cassel walk..I think Charles is teetering on the ' not with a ten ft pole' list of undraftable players..

looked dreadful last night again..when real games are played, he's an int machine and teams will learn to stack the box against the run..KC will rue the day they let Cassel walk..I think Charles is teetering on the ' not with a ten ft pole' list of undraftable players..
I got to agree, the oline has imporved but the QB play has stayed the same.

Lol, yeah because he was dreadful in the 1st preseason game. Or at all last year....

Smith has one of the best int:to ratios in the league the past few seasons?? 3:1 iirc

:link:

Why not?
NFL History says it will come down over time.
How many backs in NFL history have averaged 5.8 ypc over their first 700 carries?

I looked up some other elite tailbacks to see what happened to their ypc over time. Adrian Peterson had 5.6, 4.8, and 4.4 in his first three, then 4.6, 4.7, and 6.0 in his next three. Tomlinson averaged more yards per carry in years 5, 6, and 7 than in any other three-year span. Four of Barry Sanders' top six seasons (including his top two overall) came in years 5-8. Marshall Faulk topped 5.0 ypc in his 6th, 7th, and 8th years, and never did it at any other point in his career. Walter Payton averaged 4.8 ypc, the second highest total of his career, at age 31. Maurice Jones-Drew's 2nd and 3rd best seasons in ypc came in the last two years. Jim Brown, Mercury Morris, Tiki Barber, DeAngelo Williams, Frank Gore... I'm looking at a list of some of the backs with the highest career YPCs in NFL history, and the consistent pattern I'm seeing is that eventually they hit a wall and fall off a cliff, but until that point their ypc doesn't show any signs of decline from season to season. You get the same random fluctuation late in the career that you get early in the career, but no evidence of decline until the moment you see them hit that wall.

Why would he have fewer yards per carry playing for the best offensive coach and QB he's ever played with - during the prime of his career - than his career average? I'm not in the position in my draft to get Charles but I think he'll end up in the top 3 if he doesn't miss time.

Lol, yeah because he was dreadful in the 1st preseason game. Or at all last year....
Exactly. He's horrible because he didn't shred the SF defense. Every QB eats them up.

Are we concerned with the foot injury? I pick 3 rd and between charles, martin, mccoy and spiller I am confused

Why not?
NFL History says it will come down over time.
How many backs in NFL history have averaged 5.8 ypc over their first 700 carries?

I looked up some other elite tailbacks to see what happened to their ypc over time. Adrian Peterson had 5.6, 4.8, and 4.4 in his first three, then 4.6, 4.7, and 6.0 in his next three. Tomlinson averaged more yards per carry in years 5, 6, and 7 than in any other three-year span. Four of Barry Sanders' top six seasons (including his top two overall) came in years 5-8. Marshall Faulk topped 5.0 ypc in his 6th, 7th, and 8th years, and never did it at any other point in his career. Walter Payton averaged 4.8 ypc, the second highest total of his career, at age 31. Maurice Jones-Drew's 2nd and 3rd best seasons in ypc came in the last two years. Jim Brown, Mercury Morris, Tiki Barber, DeAngelo Williams, Frank Gore... I'm looking at a list of some of the backs with the highest career YPCs in NFL history, and the consistent pattern I'm seeing is that eventually they hit a wall and fall off a cliff, but until that point their ypc doesn't show any signs of decline from season to season. You get the same random fluctuation late in the career that you get early in the career, but no evidence of decline until the moment you see them hit that wall.
Exactly.. what I don't see in your list of all time greats and just greats is a 5.8 ypc over a career or second half of a career.

My point stands.. go ahead and assume Charles will remain at an all time NFL high for yards per carry. I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

eta - Charles is on my "must have" list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly.. what I don't see in your list of all time greats and just greats is a 5.8 ypc over a career or second half of a career.
How many do you see at 5.8 for the first half of their career?
Exactly again.. Charles has been the exception to the rule, the outlier.

You guys seem to be taking the stand that it is more reasonable to predict him to remain such than for him to come back in line with (or towards) historical numbers. I guess we have to disagree.

Either way, I plan on having him.

Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles returned to Chiefs practice Sunday and participated "with no hesitation" following last week's foot scare.
Charles admitted the right foot strain "caused soreness to travel halfway up his leg," but he's good to go now. He called the minor injury "weird" and "definitely scary" in a pre-practice interview with reporters. The Chiefs have not decided Charles' availability for their third exhibition game. Profootballtalk.com has reported Charles is likely done for the remainder of preseason.

Source: Associated Press

Owners of J. Charles should only be concerned IF or when he gets injured. Reid's system is great for healthy RB's but it also seems to jeopardize the health of his QB's and RB's. Im not sure if it is due to the type of blocking schemes he coaches or the over usage of the smaller backs he has possessed.

A. Smith is a better game manager than Cassel is/Was and is very good at checking down his passes quickly. The front line is good and by mid season they should be one of the top 5.

Charles is a threat to take it to the house on any play he touches the ball, but if he is utilized for 4-6 plays/carries/catches straight his ypc will definitely go down by virtue of exhaustion.

I was excited to have Charles as a keeper this year after Reid was announced the head coach. I am still happy for the keeper selection, but after hearing that Charles got a bit dinged up already, I am a bit concerned over his durability for the ENTIRE season.

I think Charles has the highest ceiling out of all players in a PPR league, (which I am in), but he also has more risk/unknown due to injury history, under usage and new offensive schemes for the entire team.

Owners of J. Charles should only be concerned IF or when he gets injured. Reid's system is great for healthy RB's but it also seems to jeopardize the health of his QB's and RB's. Im not sure if it is due to the type of blocking schemes he coaches or the over usage of the smaller backs he has possessed.

A. Smith is a better game manager than Cassel is/Was and is very good at checking down his passes quickly. The front line is good and by mid season they should be one of the top 5.

Charles is a threat to take it to the house on any play he touches the ball, but if he is utilized for 4-6 plays/carries/catches straight his ypc will definitely go down by virtue of exhaustion.

I was excited to have Charles as a keeper this year after Reid was announced the head coach. I am still happy for the keeper selection, but after hearing that Charles got a bit dinged up already, I am a bit concerned over his durability for the ENTIRE season.

I think Charles has the highest ceiling out of all players in a PPR league, (which I am in), but he also has more risk/unknown due to injury history, under usage and new offensive schemes for the entire team.
I hate chasing handcuffs, but Davis may have to be a pick for those that are worried about Charles going down to injury.

I wouldn't nessecarily say he is in a system that could increase likely hood of injury. The only reason I could see that statement making sense would b the fact that he might have an increase of injury because he will be used a lot more. I don't see Alex smith and Charles are now being more injury prone in the system.

INT machine? Alex Smith? Credibility gone.

Cassel was the worst QB in the league last season not in Arizona. Smith is a sizeable upgrade and I'm not a Smith fan. Cassel was and is putrid.

I'd really love to see a link that goes to prove Smith is a "int machine". Cause maybe every website I look at for stats is broken and you have some inside statistical information? My sources tell me that his career doesn't prove he throws many TDs at all.

2006: 16 games... 442 Att... 16 INTs

2009: 11 games... 372 Att... 12 INTs

2010: 11 games... 342 Att... 10 INTs

2011: 16 games... 445 Att... 5 INTs

2012: 10 games... 218 Att... 5 INTs

He's never really put up abnormal INT/att ratio. If anything he's a little under the NFL starter average. Baseless opinions with no statistical backing aren't helpful. Honestly, you sound like a rival fan or someone who wanted Charles in his draft but didn't get him and is now sour. Personally, I think Charles is the #2 overall pick or #3 at the latest if you prefer the slightly higher floor but lower ceiling that Doug Martin brings.

Cassel isnt Marino but he is a lot better than A Smith..love Charles' skills, but he's hampered by a weak, turnover happy QB ..thats why I'd let someone else select him...

I recently had my draft. I was fortunate to get the number 1 pick in a 12 team ppr. I glady took Charles. Charles is gonna have a career year. He is arguably the most explosive RB Andy Reid has had in his system. We will a lot of big gain screens. I have adp as a keeper in another league, gonna try to trade for charles.

Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles rushed 20 times for 92 yards and a touchdown in Kansas City's Week 3 win over the Eagles, adding seven catches for an additional 80 yards.

Charles' quad injury was a non-issue as he looked like his vintage self against the Eagles' swiss-cheese defense, getting upfield in a hurry. Charles' eight targets also led all Chiefs pass catchers. Through three games, he's drawn 24 looks, turning them into 18 grabs for 151 yards in addition to his 224 yards on the ground. As Rotoworld's Adam Levitan points out, he's on pace for 96 catches and 805 receiving yards. The Chiefs still need to do a better job of getting Charles the ball on the ground, but he's locked in as an elite RB1.

Sep 19 - 11:56 PM

not the best thread for Tanner9919. used the unfortunate phrase "'not with a 10 ft pole' list of undraftable players" in relation to Charles

Update!!!!!!

I expect Charles to see a significant increase in catches but if Andy's tendencies stay the same, don't expect anything more than 1100 rushing 500 receiving from Charles as his ceiling, not his floor. Pretty good numbers but none to go crazy about the guy being as good as AP.
After six games:

114 carries for 475 yards

33 catches for 300 yards

7 total touchdowns (he has scored every week)

This puts him on pace for:

1,267 rushing yards

88 catches

2,067 total yards

19 scores

What is scary is, he YPC is way down from his 5.8 career average to 4.2. He has yet to break any really big runs, and you gotta think a few of those are coming at some point.

Update!!!!!!

I expect Charles to see a significant increase in catches but if Andy's tendencies stay the same, don't expect anything more than 1100 rushing 500 receiving from Charles as his ceiling, not his floor. Pretty good numbers but none to go crazy about the guy being as good as AP.
After six games:

33 catches for 300 yards

1,267 rushing yards

88 catches

2,067 total yards

19 scores

What is scary is, he YPC is way down from his 5.8 career average to 4.2. He has yet to break any really big runs, and you gotta think a few of those are coming at some point.
Ill admit I was wrong. Maybe Andy did learn something from his mistakes in Philly.

Why did the conversation about YPC end? What's causing the drop?

The touchdowns and receptions (PPR) obviously make up the difference so he's getting the desired results but as Sigmund says, "Process. Not outcome."

Update!!!!!!

After six games:

33 catches for 300 yards

1,267 rushing yards

88 catches

2,067 total yards

19 scores

:yes:

As good and consistent as Charles has been to this point, I think his owners still have some monster games to look forward to.

Update!!!!!!

After six games:

33 catches for 300 yards

1,267 rushing yards

88 catches

2,067 total yards

19 scores

As good and consistent as Charles has been to this point, I think his owners still have some monster games to look forward to.
Got pretty quiet in here from the people claiming Charles didn't have a 10+ TD ceiling. As he'd never scored more than 10 in a season. I think he'll get 3 more TDs this year, what about you guys?

Update!!!!!!

imo the fact that KC doesn't have routes further than 15 yards from the LOS contributes to the lack of really big runs

Update!!!!!!

imo the fact that KC doesn't have routes further than 15 yards from the LOS contributes to the lack of really big runs
I think honestly, that a lot of defenses are trying to threaten the Chiefs to beat them without Charles running for 6 yards a clip. And they're doing that. Eventually there will be running room for him. Either way, it's irrelevant how he gets to 2000 yards total this season. Whether it's 1000 yards on the ground and 1000 through the air or 1500 on the ground and 500 through the air. He's on pace for it regardless and has no signs of slowing. The entire offense runs through him. Besides maybe the Broncos losing Peyton right now, I'm not sure there's a more important player in the NFL. If the Chiefs were to lose Charles the season would be done.

Besides maybe the Broncos losing Peyton right now, I'm not sure there's a more important player in the NFL. If the Chiefs were to lose Charles the season would be done.
Just to put some numbers to that, from Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles is on pace to touch the ball 392 times this season.
Yikes

Update!!!!!!

After six games:

33 catches for 300 yards

1,267 rushing yards

88 catches

2,067 total yards

19 scores

Got pretty quiet in here from the people claiming Charles didn't have a 10+ TD ceiling. As he'd never scored more than 10 in a season. I think he'll get 3 more TDs this year, what about you guys?
Hey KHY

I was one of those 'non-believers',mostly due to Alex Smith..IMO, Smith is one of the leading MVP candidates, he has his team at

6-0 which is very impressive being that he was a newly acquired player in the offseason..he has performed extremely well :thumbup:

while I'm one of those who didn't think Charles would surpass 10TD, on the flip side, you can't possible think he's going to continue at this rate and finish with 19 TDs ,can you? I mean,they've beaten the Jags, Oakland, Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, Titans.not exactly all-world team defenses..and while the schedule looks fairly easy from here on out, someone along the way is going to decipher and crack the code,and beat the Chiefs..I'll give you maybe 13-15 TD..but his ypc avg is what is most alarming now..1.6 yards less per rush..

he has 2 fewer rushing Tds than Moreno ( 5 vs. 7), and avg's 1/2 yard less than him ( 4.2 vs. 4.7)..19 more fantasy pts, and he has 13 more recs, 111 more rec yards..but for the consensus top 10 pick he was in this year's fantasy drafts, I think he has been somewhat of a disappointment..Moreno is only a few pts behind him, and is doing as much or more,with less, than Charles is..so Charles isn't really living up to his ADP ranking..

but he is scoring fantasy pts, just not scoring nearly as many as people would've hoped.. :shrug:

Besides maybe the Broncos losing Peyton right now, I'm not sure there's a more important player in the NFL. If the Chiefs were to lose Charles the season would be done.
Just to put some numbers to that, from Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles is on pace to touch the ball 392 times this season.
Yikes
Don't start that stuff or you will be one of those "I ain't touching Arian Foster this year" guys. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Update!!!!!!

After six games:

33 catches for 300 yards

1,267 rushing yards

88 catches

2,067 total yards

19 scores

Hey KHY

I was one of those 'non-believers',mostly due to Alex Smith..IMO, Smith is one of the leading MVP candidates, he has his team at

6-0 which is very impressive being that he was a newly acquired player in the offseason..he has performed extremely well :thumbup:

while I'm one of those who didn't think Charles would surpass 10TD, on the flip side, you can't possible think he's going to continue at this rate and finish with 19 TDs ,can you? I mean,they've beaten the Jags, Oakland, Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, Titans.not exactly all-world team defenses..and while the schedule looks fairly easy from here on out, someone along the way is going to decipher and crack the code,and beat the Chiefs..I'll give you maybe 13-15 TD..but his ypc avg is what is most alarming now..1.6 yards less per rush..

he has 2 fewer rushing Tds than Moreno ( 5 vs. 7), and avg's 1/2 yard less than him ( 4.2 vs. 4.7)..19 more fantasy pts, and he has 13 more recs, 111 more rec yards..but for the consensus top 10 pick he was in this year's fantasy drafts, I think he has been somewhat of a disappointment..Moreno is only a few pts behind him, and is doing as much or more,with less, than Charles is..so Charles isn't really living up to his ADP ranking..

but he is scoring fantasy pts, just not scoring nearly as many as people would've hoped.. :shrug:
wat

Update!!!!!!

After six games:

33 catches for 300 yards

1,267 rushing yards

88 catches

2,067 total yards

19 scores

Yep. I am watching these games every week and enjoying the production and still, in the back of my head every week I am thinking, "You know, he's doing all of this without having any of thoe 'Jamaal Charles' types of games where you look up and he's busted a 56 yard TD in the second half of a game."

I said in the spotlight thread that, barring injury he could have this kind of year...and I believed it. But I must admit I wondered if the TDs would be enough and consistent. As long as he's getting one by land or air each week, you can't keep him under 20 in ppr. That's massive.

Hey KHY

I'd say it's more that Moreno is vastly exceeding his ADP, rather than Charles is not living up to his own.

Charles is averaging 25.42 ppg in ppr leagues where fumbles don't matter. That would rank as the 9th best RB season (in terms of ppg) since the NFL went to a 16 game schedule in 1978:

Code:
Faulk	 	32.56 Holmes	 	31.62 Faulk	 	30.26 Tomlinson	29.64 Holmes	 	27.94 Tomlinson	27.44 Smith	 	26.68 Jackson	 	26.21 Charles         25.42Faulk	 	25.12 James	 	25.08

Why did the conversation about YPC end? What's causing the drop?

The touchdowns and receptions (PPR) obviously make up the difference so he's getting the desired results but as Sigmund says, "Process. Not outcome."
The receptions were total good process. Westbrook and McCoy averaged about 5 receptions a game for Reid. Charles is getting about 5.5, well within the historical norms. The TDs were also good process, too, since Reid's offense focuses a lot on the RB in the red zone (even if it doesn't necessarily focus on RUNNING the RB in the red zone)- toss out Westbrook and McCoy's rookie years, and they averaged about a dozen scores per 16 games played under Reid. 19 is high and should regress some, but I'd expect Charles to still be averaging about 0.66-0.75 scores per game going forward.

I think some of the YPC drop is on Alex Smith. Captain Checkdown doesn't turn the ball over much, but he keeps everything so close to the LoS that the defense has less trouble bringing players up to shut down running lanes. I think some of it is random chance, too. Charles' longest run of the season so far is just 24 yards. If he had an 80-yarder mixed in randomly, his YPC would be about 4.8 right now- still the lowest of his career, but it wouldn't jump off the page nearly as much. You have to think that 80-yarder is coming at some point...

Did someone really just say that Charles has been somewhat of a disappointment? They should be banned. The only time the words disappointment and Charles should be in the same sentence should be when you're referring to why you passed on him at 1.1.

I think he has been somewhat of a disappointment..Moreno is only a few pts behind him, and is doing as much or more,with less, than Charles is..so Charles isn't really living up to his ADP ranking..but he is scoring fantasy pts, just not scoring nearly as many as people would've hoped.. :shrug:
I think that this is probably the weakest attempt at justification of a spectacularly bad call that I have ever seen. People can't actually think this way and function in everyday life, can they? Just wow.

Update!!!!!!

After six games:

33 catches for 300 yards

1,267 rushing yards

88 catches

2,067 total yards

19 scores

Hey KHY

So I was completely with you until you started talking about Moreno. Charles is the #1 Fantasy RB right now and ahead of all other RBs by almost a full weeks worth of points in ALL scoring formats. In what world is he not living up to the ADP that most people had him at which was somewhere in the range of 2-6 overall? Good God man... right now he's on pace for one of the best fantasy seasons of all time. What were people hoping for if 25+ PPG wasn't it? 40 PPG? That was one of the worst posts I've read on these boards in quite some time and there's some terrible posts here.

What is the going rate for a guy like Charles? Is he untradeable right now?
I don't think he's untradeble, but it would probably take a package including another top 10-12 RB. If I had needs at WR, I would listen to an offer of a Reggie Bush + WR2 type. This is in PPR. I'd still be hesitant because of his insane volume and consistency, but I would make the move it it wasn't a large downgrade at the position and it helped to bolster a position of need.

TL;DR: No, he's not untradable.

Update!!!!!!

After six games:

33 catches for 300 yards

1,267 rushing yards

88 catches

2,067 total yards

19 scores

Hey KHY

He's number 1 in scoring. What exactly more were you looking for from him?

Users who are viewing this thread